Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I feel like they need to take another look at the Native Insurrection play. I don't know how it gets unlocked, but the UK managed it and is just tearing rear end across every unorg in africa. its basically the end of colonization being usable in 1860.

I think the rising tension should give you problems with radicalism and colony growth or something, and native uprisings should be something you don't want, no taking territory after you win the battle. Right now it seems like you want the uprisings to happen as soon as possible so you get to annex them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stux posted:

you really need More Wood before you start building out more construction.

Yeah. Luckily a logging camp and a livestock ranch pretty well cover the requirements for a single construction sector.

If I could grow cotton I'd probably be in even better shape, but alas.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Custom unions seem a bit weird to me, but maybe i'm not understanding it right? If I'm an independent country that is part of a large custom union, the export of goods is only going to be useful if my country produces it. At the moment I can export all goods. For instance, for the current country I'm playing I know for a fact I don't produce coffee, and yet I can export this? What I gather that will do is improve the GDP of the country producing coffee. That seems bizarre - almost like i'm in full control of the market when I really shouldn't be?

I guess imports makes more sense, in that the custom union gives the advantage of importing deficits in goods, allowing you to create extra revenue for things you want to sell?

It seems like the game could do with either a tab or thing to say "this is what your country produces for the custom union", or not display produce I don't create at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How many construction buildings are people starting off with? I usually put in a couple more so that I can build at 40/40 for two slots but I'm impatient and wondering if I could just slam a bunch of them together with enough wood.

Communist Bear posted:

Custom unions seem a bit weird to me, but maybe i'm not understanding it right? If I'm an independent country that is part of a large custom union, the export of goods is only going to be useful if my country produces it. At the moment I can export all goods. For instance, for the current country I'm playing I know for a fact I don't produce coffee, and yet I can export this? What I gather that will do is improve the GDP of the country producing coffee. That seems bizarre - almost like i'm in full control of the market when I really shouldn't be?

I guess imports makes more sense, in that the custom union gives the advantage of importing deficits in goods, allowing you to create extra revenue for things you want to sell?

It seems like the game could do with either a tab or thing to say "this is what your country produces for the custom union", or not display produce I don't create at all.

You can collect tariffs on things you export so it's a decent source of revenue if you have the free boats, right?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'm sure someone else has noticed this, but I can teleport my armies by toggling between "return to hq" and either of the other two orders. quite convenient

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Communist Bear posted:

I think the way it works is that your trade centres will be shipping- and potentially making money from- other countries' goods. You're not in control of the market, you're in control of what your trade centres are doing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunis has declared an interest in The Andes. Yeah okay little guy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CuddleCryptid posted:

How many construction buildings are people starting off with? I usually put in a couple more so that I can build at 40/40 for two slots but I'm impatient and wondering if I could just slam a bunch of them together with enough wood.

You can collect tariffs on things you export so it's a decent source of revenue if you have the free boats, right?

I think it depends on the size of your country and your tax base. You want as much as you can get away with, but it can be hard to ride that fine line between deficit spending and getting a return on investment.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

quote:

I think the way it works is that your trade centres will be shipping- and potentially making money from- other countries' goods. You're not in control of the market, you're in control of what your trade centres are doing.

I see. So the idea is that even if you're not a producer of that good, because you shipped it you'd get the tariff fee?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I played as Bolivia for about 5 years last night.

I can’t figure out a way to change my government form away from autocracy. It says I need to include an interest group in favor of the law in the government, and when I did that by inviting the landowners, it still wasn’t available to select. The tooltip said something about Chiefdom not allowing it but I’m a presidential dictatorship. (Reason I’m trying to change is to have a more common government with Ecuador so I can have a trade agreement with them.)

what you need to do is pass a law shifting from autocratic to something else. the interest groups all have different trats, the red circles. hover over them and it will tell you if they support or oppose various laws. generally a good bet for the freedom loving bleeding heart IG is the intelligentsia, but it will vary depending on time and place. i'm guessing the landowners are fine with autocracy

if you can't form a stable government with an interest group that supports the law you want to pass, then this just means there aren't enough people in your country who want that law, making it difficult to impossible to get enacted. so, you need to reduce the size of the bad IG while increasing the size of the good IG by getting more people in the IGs you want, and less in the ones you don't want. builting universities and so on that increase the number of academics, bureaucrats, and clerks is a good way to grow the intelligentsia, for example. building a bunch of factories and having more people working as mechanics and whatnot is good for the trade union IG, and so on

CuddleCryptid posted:

it depends on how big your nation is, in all dimensions (economy, pop, land area) but not that many. building too many construction sectors will gently caress over your economy pretty fast by encouraging government purchasing of materials, which will lead to runaway deficit spending AND distort your commodity market so that construction materials, eg. wood, won't be affordable for your pops or your factories

its ok to run a little negative on spending but going too hard, too fast in chasing a bigger snowball will just put you in a death spiral of spending chasing more spending

40 sounds like plenty for a large country. this isn't an RTS, you've got to balance the plate-spinning

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 27, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Communist Bear posted:

I see. So the idea is that even if you're not a producer of that good, because you shipped it you'd get the tariff fee?

That I don't know. But I think your pops would be earning wages from the productivity of the route?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

poo poo I was feeling good about being able to sustain 12 last night. I have some work to do.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Stux posted:

hovering over the icon for the building will show you

That makes a lot of sense. The number per level was exactly what I wanted. Don't know how I missed that, thanks.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arrath posted:

poo poo I was feeling good about being able to sustain 12 last night. I have some work to do.

12 is fine! you need as many construction sectors as you can afford to run. if you mouse over the income breakdown you'll see (income) - (fixed expenses) - (temporary expenses) where temporary expenses are, during peacetime, pretty much just construction spending. i'd say keep that number between 1 and 0.5 of fixed expenses, such that if you pause all construction you'll suddenly be income positive, in case you need to build up cash reserves for whatever reason and give your commodity markets a chance to reach a good equilibrium. or if you notice that your standard of living drops as soon as you gear up on construction, maybe ease back a bit. you DO want to go into debt now to have more money later, thats Keynesianism, but that doesn't mean driving yourself into the pit of eternal debt hoping to find the mountain of eternal profit

also keep in mind that construction sectors themselves have fixed wage costs - when you build one, you are hiring a bunch of clerks and laborers to actually do the construction. does you no good to have a couple dozen of these sitting around idle, paying workers to do nothing

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 27, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arrath posted:

To be clear I mean output, with each one contribing ten construction. So 40/40 is four shops working at capacity.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It's annoying you can't do anything to influence the construction orders of your puppets. Whats the point of creating banana republics if they won't grow bananas? (by bananas I mean rubber)

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Arrath posted:

I have 100 going, but then again I'm America and we're stupid blessed with natural resources.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So I'm doing a Prussia -> universal suffrage Germany run and taking Alsace-Lorraine from France as one does and while I'm winning, the war wasn't going 100% as planned because the Americans and Italians got involved. No problem though, I'll still win just with a slightly higher cost in dollars and bodies.

Hmm..?

Adolphina you say...

The nazis are in a coalition with the trade unions... uh oh...

We have a bit of a problem.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

I have 100 going, but then again I'm America and we're stupid blessed with natural resources.

At that point you're completing construction before you even put the request in.

"Hey we need a new wood production facility, when can you have it done?"

"6"

"Six days? Not too bad"

"No, PM"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So here's my big beef:

Russia.

Bastards are really crimping my style. Gonna have to wait for the most opportune moment to do something about them.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Playing as Japan and I overdeveloped Hokkaido a bit because I kind of forgot about labor (oops!), so now most of my buildings are struggling to employ pops. In theory this should get solved by migration, since the SoL in Hokkaido is higher than anywhere else in the country and I have both a greener grass campaign and a gold rush active in the state, but I'm getting straight up zero migration. I'm still isolationist so obviously nobody's coming in, but is there some reason none of my pops want to go to Hokkaido? The fact that it's at zero and not just very low makes me think it's just a bug, but I'm not sure. Infrastructure's okay everywhere at the moment.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
started playing as afghanistan, it's nice to have my own market to fumble around with. i started with two quick wars to get a port access to start dumping some opium off of.

laws are a lot more of a pain to shift away from landowner dick sucking, but it still feels a little goofy in that you can take a 12% and get a pretty smooth path to passing, most random events are helpful and stuff rarely stalls unless the other parties get pissed enough to revolt, which is pretty rare

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I have two generals listed as "busy" controlling ~50% of my total regulars. I can't fire them or interact with them in any way. I have no current expeditions and they aren't doing anything with the troops, and it's been like this for years. They're both over 85 years old and won't die either.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eldoop posted:

Playing as Japan and I overdeveloped Hokkaido a bit because I kind of forgot about labor (oops!), so now most of my buildings are struggling to employ pops. In theory this should get solved by migration, since the SoL in Hokkaido is higher than anywhere else in the country and I have both a greener grass campaign and a gold rush active in the state, but I'm getting straight up zero migration. I'm still isolationist so obviously nobody's coming in, but is there some reason none of my pops want to go to Hokkaido? The fact that it's at zero and not just very low makes me think it's just a bug, but I'm not sure. Infrastructure's okay everywhere at the moment.

Are your migration laws all hosed up?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eldoop posted:

Serfdom? It certainly had that effect in real-life, not sure what it does in game (besides helping the Shogunate keep power)

Edit: per wiki, doesn't look like it...
Edit #2: above is probably right, closed borders seems to disable internal migration (which is kinda surprising)

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 27, 2022

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Communist Bear posted:

In the tooltips it says that every junior member of a customs union gets a small cut of the tariffs collected by the market. So the senior member sets the tariffs for all goods in the market, all collected tariffs get pooled together, then every junior gets a small cut and the senior gets the rest. There is a tab in the market menu that shows you market share of each member of the market, but I do not know if this share determines how much of the tariff you get as a junior.

Edit: It does say that market share determines how much you get for consumption taxes on goods, so no effects on tariffs I guess?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That I don't know. But I think your pops would be earning wages from the productivity of the route?

In addition to this, profitability also determines how many good are actually traded. So if a trade routes profitability is negative, no goods will be traded, even if you need the goods for your industry.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 27, 2022

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Arrath posted:

Are your migration laws all hosed up?

OddObserver posted:

Serfdom? It certainly had that effect in real-life, not sure what it does in game (besides helping the Shogunate keep power)

Edit: per wiki, doesn't look like it...
Edit #2: above is probably right, closed borders seems to disable internal migration (which is kinda surprising)

Okay yeah this seems like the likely candidate? When I get home from work I'll have a whack at opening up my borders and see if it fixes things! Very weird behavior if that is what's going on, seems like a thing to fix

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Playing as Venezuela, at some point about 25% of the workforce emigrated away. I eased discrimination laws and now people are flooding in, doubling the population, bankrupting me from welfare payments.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Schnitzler posted:

In the tooltips it says that every junior member of a customs union gets a small cut of the tariffs collected by the market. So the senior member sets the tariffs for all goods in the market, all collected tariffs get pooled together, then every junior gets a small cut and the senior gets the rest. There is a tab in the market menu that shows you market share of each member of the market, but I do not know if this share determines how much of the tariff you get as a junior.

Edit: It does say that market share determines how much you get for consumption taxes on goods, so no effects on tariffs I guess?

In addition to this, profitability also determines how many good are actually traded. So if a trade routes profitability is negative, no goods will be traded, even if you need the goods for your industry.

Thanks for that, i'll have a look :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm surviving in the 1860s as Indian territories, got some basic industry going, but drat it's hard and the goddamn landowners make everything harder than it should be.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Another fun find: if you start colonizing Malaria afflicted areas before researching the malaria tech, once you do have it the colonization speed will not update and you need to restart the process.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm surviving in the 1860s as Indian territories, got some basic industry going, but drat it's hard and the goddamn landowners make everything harder than it should be.

I've done a few starts in different nations just to get a feel for what kind of opening moves are good and so far it seems like overcoming the goddamn landowners is pretty much #1 on the list. They really suck because they are perfectly content with just sitting on their land and peasants and collecting taxes. They don't really have a desire to industrialize or make the nation stronger in any way. They would be perfectly happy to keep the status quo perpetually so long as nothing threatened their situation.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dramicus posted:

I've done a few starts in different nations just to get a feel for what kind of opening moves are good and so far it seems like overcoming the goddamn landowners is pretty much #1 on the list. They really suck because they are perfectly content with just sitting on their land and peasants and collecting taxes. They don't really have a desire to industrialize or make the nation stronger in any way. They would be perfectly happy to keep the status quo perpetually so long as nothing threatened their situation.

Ah, I see you've met landlords

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

Ah, I see you've met landlords

Tell me about it. At least the game lets you suppress them until they become marginalized. My early goals are some kind of more open voting alongside censorship. It becomes too hard to suppress the landlords if you have too much freedom of speech.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

This game does a very good job at making me as frustrated with plantation owners in a way that would make a yankee factory owner proud.

Plantations are so inefficient compared to literally every other form of agriculture in the game it’s hilarious.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Friar John posted:

I think I might restart this run now that I have a bit of a better idea. Started the tutorial as Sweden, and was able to form Scandinavia and pass women's suffrage for the cheevos, but I don't have enough coal and I don't know where to get more, and it's making my economy insane.

It's really hard to tell when changing production methods will end up a good idea, the tooltip is so awful right now and I'm always confused why some of my factories are at 0 profitability. Game good so far, though, I'm definitely excited to try Egypt, Japan, and others.

Sweden has some coal to jumpstart production but you'll end up importing most of it from Prussia and England

Trade woes: so some of the godawful lategame production can be fixed if you set up import routes and wait, especially in richer countries- I assume the AI is bad at generating demand but starts producing once they see a reason to. Problem is now I am entirely capped out on convoys and can't grow any routes. Considering subsidizing some unprofitable staples that are being kept afloat by exports- or maybe free trade is finally viable? It'd gently caress my tariffs pretty bad but I've got some nutty income now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Communist Bear posted:

importing and exporting applies to external markets. if you are in a trade union then every country in that market acesses resources the same as you do when you only have an internal market. if you select another country in your trade union and look at diplomacy options and try to add a trade agreement you will see a -1000 malus due to having no trade routes, even if you had some before the union, and you are unable to create routes to them. also when you go to create routes its a list of markets not nations. in the market window under members you can see it simply treats every state as having market access no matter which nation it belongs to.

this is why a trade union with a much larger power is basically tying you to them, and if you can see a country is acting protective towards you and you think you will be joining their union or that theyll war to force you, you should start realigning your market towards their production deficits. otherwise once you join all your raw production is eclipsed by theirs, often pushing down the price of what youve been producing.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oof, if the economy cools of for a split second clawing back into growth is painful.

Pro Noob tip: stick to interventionism/lasseiz faire until you have some games and understand the economic model's behavior. The investment pool is a loving amazing safety net when one needs to restore order.

Ironically, because it behaves like Keynesian policy: capitalists swipe profit off the top of a strong economy cooling it down, and then you as the government can reinvest that cash when the economy crashes. Under command economy a skilled player could do it manually, but well see above.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

what you need to do is pass a law shifting from autocratic to something else. the interest groups all have different trats, the red circles. hover over them and it will tell you if they support or oppose various laws. generally a good bet for the freedom loving bleeding heart IG is the intelligentsia, but it will vary depending on time and place. i'm guessing the landowners are fine with autocracy

if you can't form a stable government with an interest group that supports the law you want to pass, then this just means there aren't enough people in your country who want that law, making it difficult to impossible to get enacted. so, you need to reduce the size of the bad IG while increasing the size of the good IG by getting more people in the IGs you want, and less in the ones you don't want. builting universities and so on that increase the number of academics, bureaucrats, and clerks is a good way to grow the intelligentsia, for example. building a bunch of factories and having more people working as mechanics and whatnot is good for the trade union IG, and so on

Thanks for this. It must be a bug then. When I looked at the tooltip for IGs that supported the non-autocracy law I was going for (land-based voting), it was the armed forces and landowners. When I log in tonight I’ll take a screenshot. Something weird about the “chiefdom” bit in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Eldoop posted:

If migration is not allowed, nobody in your country will migrate. I'm not sure if serfdom affects migration, but it might also.