Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rubellavator posted:

totally legal

Ref had not turned around yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This is gonna get even dumber

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Asuron posted:

Did he… jump off the ropes?

not his first time doing this.

Welcome to Super Punch Out bullshit.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wally is going to use his alpha predator strength to pull a rope right off the turnbuckle and use it to garrotte Ricardo. The ref won't say poo poo. Ricardo will get free and throw a punch that goes back in time and kills the dinosaurs. Wally will lose because he was never born.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Ricardo character development is good, and if Wally is just a vehicle to show more of him as the end game big boss that's cool, but drat if once again the Wally wackiness isn't tainting the action a bit.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's funny because if the series were in general a little more 'super boxing magic' like kengan, wally is actually a pretty good concept

but it isn't so too much suspension of belief is demanded. we could have fixed this all by having the ref try to call out wally on something earlier in the match and ricardo being like 'don't foul him i am metztli' and then there's even the most tenuous reason why the ref isn't just dqing this man

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I won’t be satisfied until Woli is jumping around like Maliketh the Black Blade, including pulling a broken sword out of his hand (spoilers) and using Destined Death, which some call true death, to destroy Ricardo body and soul.

Anyway loved the chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

it's funny because if the series were in general a little more 'super boxing magic' like kengan, wally is actually a pretty good concept

but it isn't so too much suspension of belief is demanded. we could have fixed this all by having the ref try to call out wally on something earlier in the match and ricardo being like 'don't foul him i am metztli' and then there's even the most tenuous reason why the ref isn't just dqing this man

It's been brought up before that if the Ref does not see it there is no point in bringing it up. It was shown explicitly the Ref had not turned around yet when Wally jumped off the ropes.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Even superhuman Ricardo Martinez's eyes can barely keep up with Woli. What hope does a ref have

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Didn't they have a bit in the runup to this fight where they seemed to be setting up "oh Wally is a normal boxer now"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's been brought up before that if the Ref does not see it there is no point in bringing it up. It was shown explicitly the Ref had not turned around yet when Wally jumped off the ropes.

Oh cmon, he’s done so many fouls the ref has seen at this point and he 100% saw this one.

They even state he’s going for a decision, which is just hilarious because of all the bullshit he’s doing which would’ve got him penalised.

I’m really not sure why you’re defending it at this point , is this the type of boxing you want to see in this manga?A character basically breaking all the rules and doing whatever he wants?

It’s got to the point he’s jumping off the rope and the characters are saying “ what a smart tactic” . Might as well just make this a a WWE manga if we’re going to have a character do that legitimately in a world title match, hell it might make it better.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 26, 2022

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Honestly, I can't imagine seeing someone be as inactive as Ricardo has been in this fight either. Imagine watching 9 minutes of Woli running around while Ricardo just blocks. The crowd would definitely be booing for more than one reason by now.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

Did he… jump off the ropes?

You obviously weren't with us when we spent 2+ months livereading his first fight with Ippo :smith:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I will say I thought Morikawa had more respect for the sport of boxing than to pull this nonsense

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I did at least find it interesting that Ricardo's camp apparently intended to use Woli as a tune-up fight for Sendo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

lol

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah it's dumb AF with the rope jumping, but since it's only Woli doing it, i'm good with it assuming Woli loses and just enjoying the ride watching OP totallynotracist monkey man summon his jungle stand. I think after 30+ years of doing serious boxing, Morikawa deserves to go a little more Cartoon Network once in his life!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I stopped reading this poo poo for like 2 years from the last Woli fight, gonna prob wait till this is well past over to come back and catch up again. I didn't even get 2 chapters into the fight yet and its already just loving dumb.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the idea of the ref just having his back turned entirely to the action is already absurd

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Again, this fight really does need to end Wally's career, because imagine how annoying it would be to read a fight that he wins.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

wally is going to die for his boxing crimes and not being Machismo

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Wally gets shot by a bookie who stands to lose everything by this surprise upset.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wally is gonna get hit by the ref, but it's gonna be for some innocuous poo poo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does morikawa not have like fellow mangaka friends or something who call him out for this poo poo

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Stairmaster posted:

does morikawa not have like fellow mangaka friends or something who call him out for this poo poo

Who's going to call out the author of the 30 year running most popular boxing manga about boxing?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

me

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna challenge Morikawa to a boxing match irl

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Stairmaster posted:

the one manga that he is constantly writing a love letter to through HNI somehow managed to do "wild jungle man as a boxing opponent" even worse than this so i don't think he'll be stopping any time soon

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ashita no Joe?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah to be fair it looks like Woli is literally a more positively portrayed version of this guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I do kind of like the "serious and brutally pragmatic" aspect of Woli in this fight (even though the rope jumping is still dumb as hell). Was that in his original Ippo fight? All I remember from that fight is "Ippo being incapable of landing a hit on him while Woli happily dances around and then winning by tapping him in the side a few times," but it's been a long time so I could be misremembering.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Woli did not have an explicit strategy when fighting Ippo. He spent most of the match trying to see what Ippo can do, jumping around the ring, and eventually getting bored of not seeing anything new. When he realized poo poo was getting serious, he did not have any plan for how to turn the tables around.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Shindragon posted:

Ashita no Joe?

yeah, harimau is unironically one of the most insane and (to me) inexplicable writing decisions i think i've ever seen in any form of media lol. it is so directly tonally contrasting with the rest of the manga - particularly the storyline that was gaining traction right at this time - that it completely baffles me. his inclusion and arc briefly undoes a lot of characterization and accomplishes functionally nothing lol

i really dislike woli but i fuckin hated harimau

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

tbp posted:

yeah, harimau is unironically one of the most insane and (to me) inexplicable writing decisions i think i've ever seen in any form of media lol. it is so directly tonally contrasting with the rest of the manga - particularly the storyline that was gaining traction right at this time - that it completely baffles me. his inclusion and arc briefly undoes a lot of characterization and accomplishes functionally nothing lol

i really dislike woli but i fuckin hated harimau

I just read a summary of that arc and it looks like the dumbest poo poo ever.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Harimau's arc has one up on this in that at least he got disqualified

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I do kind of like the "serious and brutally pragmatic" aspect of Woli in this fight

Just you wait until woli bounces of a rope, cuts it, and then uses it to whip Ricardo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

Just you wait until woli bounces of a rope, cuts it, and then uses it to whip Ricardo.

Uses the rope as a garrote on Ricardo

The ref is shown in the background, completely ambivalent

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man this fight is so loving boring. Anything with woli is so annoying. Please Ricardo just pinch his loving head off his shoulders so we don't have to deal with this poo poo anymore.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I thought it was funny leading up to it but yeah, I'm pretty let down and sick of this Mowgli poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am still enjoying the fight.