Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i suck so much poo poo at image embedding so here's a link: their names are house and wilson, they're my little softball-sized angels https://imgur.com/a/PH35ioj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i suck so much poo poo at image embedding so here's a link: their names are house and wilson, they're my little softball-sized angels https://imgur.com/a/PH35ioj

They’re lovely! :love:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

w4ddl3d33 posted:

They look amazing!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

ynohtna posted:

They’re lovely! :love:

RudeCat posted:

They look amazing!

they are sweet sweet boys. up until i got them a few days ago i don't think i truly understood that birds have personalities of their own, but they've both got heaps of it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Both boys for sure? I hope they remain kind to one another, roosters can get so mean. :ohdear: Since there aren't any girls maybe they'll stay pretty chill?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

w4ddl3d33 posted:

You need the file extension in order to embed.

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/wy7xi3D.jpg[/img]

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

my cat is norris posted:

Both boys for sure? I hope they remain kind to one another, roosters can get so mean. :ohdear: Since there aren't any girls maybe they'll stay pretty chill?

both boys, they both crow. they're from the same clutch and have yet to show any aggression to each other. quail siblings are apparently usually very good with each other so long as females aren't brought into the mix.

i was going to get girls to avoid aggression but then i felt bad about all the boy birds who are considered useless and i ended up paying double for them just to show the breeder that boys have some value, if even just to me

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
How are other UK goons dealing with the lockdown? I've kept the chickens out slightly longer as I've not been able to rig up an enclosure, but tomorrow I'm sealing their outdoor fenced area with some netting, although it'll be a challenge as there's a bunch of trees in the way.
It's honestly making me reconsider chickens - even with the extended zone, keeping a flock in such a small zone compared to the wider garden seems cruel, compared to hopefully finding someone that has better indoor conditions.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Razakai posted:

How are other UK goons dealing with the lockdown? I've kept the chickens out slightly longer as I've not been able to rig up an enclosure, but tomorrow I'm sealing their outdoor fenced area with some netting, although it'll be a challenge as there's a bunch of trees in the way.
It's honestly making me reconsider chickens - even with the extended zone, keeping a flock in such a small zone compared to the wider garden seems cruel, compared to hopefully finding someone that has better indoor conditions.

i have no information of worth to give you, but i'm also curious about the flockdown and how people are housing their birds. i've been thinking of incubating turkeys so i can raise them as pets, and i'm unsure as to how to best ensure that no diseases spread from outdoor turkeys to my indoor little guys

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Our Petal and Cheddar are so spoilt and lazy that they've become total homebodies. When given the opportunity to explore our wider (yet small garden), they rarely venture more than a few feet from the door of their house. Why forage and explore the risky outside when they can just squawk at us for hand-delivered treats and all that.

I think we're safe. The only outside birds that get close to them are our friendly neighbourhood pigeon and the occasional sparrows who visit the bird feeder area (which has been moved away from the chicken house).

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
https://i.imgur.com/a/vlke4vU.jpg
RARE DOUBLE-BOY MOMENT CAPTURED (this is a good picture because wilson is out of focus so he looks like an amorphous blob)

w4ddl3d33 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 24, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

RARE DOUBLE-BOY MOMENT CAPTURED (this is a good picture because wilson is out of focus so he looks like an amorphous blob)

This just does not want to load for me... :(

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

my cat is norris posted:

This just does not want to load for me... :(

this website is hell here's the link again https://imgur.com/a/vlke4vU

gotdamb all i want is to show people my birds :(

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Update: Quail have started to hatch. They are so impossibly small and so impossibly sweet.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dienes posted:

Update: Quail have started to hatch. They are so impossibly small and so impossibly sweet.

i love them :unsmith:

And I love those quail bros

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

my cat is norris posted:

i love them :unsmith:

And I love those quail bros

I hope there's more love in your heart because we're up to nine chicks this morning!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Dienes posted:

I hope there's more love in your heart because we're up to nine chicks this morning!

there aren't enough quails in the world to use up all of the love i have for those little friends

congratulations on the babies!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

w4ddl3d33 posted:

this website is hell here's the link again https://imgur.com/a/vlke4vU

gotdamb all i want is to show people my birds :(

:eyepop: check out them orbs!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

splendid creatures. glorious

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

an egg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 8, 2024

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

these chickens are very strangely shaped but i still like them all the same

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://i.imgur.com/bYNbf6L.mp4

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's the same brooder plate I used! I love the little feather skirt but I left it off when I had my babies.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have that brooder plate too but without the skirt.

BaronVonVaderham, you might need to lower that plate if you haven’t already. They like to be able to
touch it with their backs to really get that “mama”warmth. I put my hand under newly-named Agate yesterday and it was down right hot under there. Her eggs are all doing really well and they should hatch next week.

Respiratory infection bad news:
Blanche’s results came back and it’s not MG, vet thinks Coryza maybe. Blanche started to improve on meds then got very sick again, I had to euthanize her. Sandy (Legbar that was sitting on eggs) caught the crud and got very sick so I had to euthanize her too and I culled her lone egg. I am crossing my fingers that Agate stays healthy.

I determined that the infection probably came from the Naked Necks that I bought at the end of September (that also had round worms). They haven’t been sick so they are obv asymptomatic carriers. With an infection like this, my choices are to close my flock or “depopulate” (including the guineas and ducks) and start again after disinfecting and waiting >3 weeks… Since I have a choice my plan is to cull any sick birds and keep my flock closed, so far I’ve culled 9 :( If it gets worse I may send some samples for testing but it’s not materially important at this point. The ducks and guineas don’t seem affected by the illness, so that’s a bright spot.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
look inside your home and you may find a friend and boy

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry you're going through all that Joburg. :smith:

We're taking Liv to the vet tomorrow as she hasn't laid an egg for 6 days and we're concerned that there could be something wrong (of course, if she just just doesn't want to lay an egg, then that's okay). Blossom and Sky are laying every 6 out of 7 days and so was Liv until the 21st.

Nova had her new implant this morning, a check over and beak and toenail tidy. She was declared in perfect health.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

w4ddl3d33 posted:

look inside your home and you may find a friend and boy

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sorry to hear about that, that sucks :(

We did drop that down further. So far everyone seems to be thriving and they're all getting along (Peanut Hamper might be a little bit of a dick, but there's plenty of food and water access so they can't bully the others away, everyone's getting plenty).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't believe how fast these grow. Here's little Zapdos with their food coloring mohawk :3:

Didn't want to leave my hand, they're getting very used to humans.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Adorable :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

Adorable :3:

A birb in the hand...

Liv went to see the vet yesterday, as she hasn't laid an egg since the 21st. Nothing obviously wrong from the check up, but she's now on the suprelorin implant.

Liv was very brave.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hello all!
I've been very neglectful about posting in here...
To make amends a bit please have some Halloween chickens in funny costumes, including two of this year's Chickam chicks! :dance:

https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2022/10/halloween-chickens.html

In sadder news, one of our 2019 hatch hens, Paprika, has gone missing. No sign of anything killing her, she's just...gone. Red Tailed hawks are a possibility, and a few days ago the kid saw what might have been a fox in the chicken yard just after dawn one morning. The chickens are always securely cooped every night, of course.

Since she was forever broody, I'm still hoping that Paprika will turn up soon, followed by a bunch of chicks...fingers crossed.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 29, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Soooo cute!

Fingers crossed for Paprika.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
We said goodbye to our Petal yesterday.

She's been lazy and lethargic since getting egg-bound a couple of times earlier this year (before giving up laying entirely), but the other day she was distinctly acting unwell. Tail tucked down, comb all wilted, zonked out until offered snails. Inspection showed that she had nasty poop stuck around her vent. Cleaned her up (without any fuss from her, she was always super tame and mild-mannered), but it was clearly evident she had something wrong internally.

Next morning, she was propping herself up awkwardly against the walls of the nest box. Eyes still open, but obviously on the way out. Sadly, she was gone by midday because I really wanted her to have a final afternoon of sunshine. At least her last few weeks have been sunny and full of treats.

As far as I can tell, it wasn't bird flu. Cheddar is somewhat upset, keeps looking for her roost-mate and squawking, but the nature of Cheddar is irrepressible. She'll get some new friends soon.

Well done, Liv! And best thoughts to Paprika on her adventure.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Roost peacefully, Petal.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Poor Petal. I don't handle animal death well since being a vet tech for a few years, so this quail adventure's gonna be rough but hopefully also help me work through it.

Right now we're still in the "omg the chicks are so tiny and cute" phase.

This one's Peanut Hamper. I was there when they hatched and they seem to have bonded to me. They always come running and just snuggle down into my hand when I pick them up :3: (the others are eager to escape and attempt to fly even though their little wing feathers are just starting to come in).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This one's Peanut Hamper.
Those are great names for tiny, tiny floofs.

Liv started dropping feathers yesterday and even more today, so a big moult could explain why she's not been laying eggs this past week...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Gwaihir the Windlord is the easiest chick to pick out of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Gwaihir the Windlord is the easiest chick to pick out of the bunch.

a little spooky halloween baby!