Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That recommendation for donut county was a real hit around here. I introduced my kid to it yesterday, and when I picked her up from kindergarten today, as soon as she saw me, she threw her arms in the air and yelled "VIDEOGAMES!"

Great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

he plays assassins creed

Past tense, not present

Those were better games though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, I'm loving Hollow Knight so far. Really love the music in the... green garden area? (can't remember the name). Looking forward to getting the abilities I so clearly need, which I figured out based on the terrain that's limiting me. Can't jump there, can't land on spikes, etc.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I loaded up Bayonetta 2 to get a little less rusty for 3 and I am hype, I can't think of a series that has more fun gameplay. can't believe it's been almost a decade since 2

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

B33rChiller posted:

That recommendation for donut county was a real hit around here. I introduced my kid to it yesterday, and when I picked her up from kindergarten today, as soon as she saw me, she threw her arms in the air and yelled "VIDEOGAMES!"

Great job.

donut county was good as a freebie with games pass but i would have been pissed if i actually paid money for it. it's like 3 hours of gameplay at most with zero replayability. i could totally see little kids having a blast with it thought so YMMV but it just felt like a seriously mediocre version of Katamari to me

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Oh, for sure. Don't think I've seen anything like that...just wanted to clarify that it was more than just a Twitter follow.

Speaking of, is Blue Lives Matter rhetoric common in the UK? I saw she liked some BlueLM post but wasn't sure if that had reached over there yet.

Absolutely unheard of. Only instance I can think of is when I saw an American guy with a blue stripe skull patch on his jacket walk up to a police car and start chatting to the police, and the police looked fairly uncomfortable about the whole situation because that poo poo is incredibly weird to UK people.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Sparks of Hope progression update: I have encountered a Giant Magikoopa behind a 28 Spark pipe lock, for which I currently have 27. Regular Magikoopas have not even appeared yet.

...Do you suppose the game will let me fight the Giant version first, or is Spark #28 going to be locked behind a fight that forces regular Magikoopas down my throat?

e: The answer was yes. The game tries to incentivize you to engage the regular version beforehand with a "kill 3 Magikoopas" quest right at the start of World 5, but it can be ignored.

Also, this thing has over 45k HP. Help.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 27, 2022

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Bug Squash posted:

Absolutely unheard of. Only instance I can think of is when I saw an American guy with a blue stripe skull patch on his jacket walk up to a police car and start chatting to the police, and the police looked fairly uncomfortable about the whole situation because that poo poo is incredibly weird to UK people.

It absolutely is here, check out this one looking like the methhead biker from True Detective with a thin blue line union jack and a Punisher skull:

https://twitter.com/janeyoccupies/status/1583395615588773889

B33rChiller posted:

Great job.

You both need to make the quacking noises along with the level clear music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqAo-aqPOyw

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hosed up.

It’s “another think coming.” There’s a reason it’s a phrase that only ever follow from “if you think” statements.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
What does any of this have to do with the switch

Is mario a cop

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

mandatory lesbian posted:

What does any of this have to do with the switch

Is mario a cop

mario has guns now, hes a cop

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Mario dual wields guns now, he's Neo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why is Heath ledger dead and Mario still alive

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why is Heath ledger dead and Mario still alive

Mario runs and jumps among us!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

hosed up.

It’s “another think coming.” There’s a reason it’s a phrase that only ever follow from “if you think” statements.

lol

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

hosed up.

Mods???!!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, I'm loving Hollow Knight so far.
Hollow Knight is pretty great. I know you got it on Steam but it really pops on an OLED.

I made it about 95% way through the main game and life events kept me from finishing it. Unfortunately given the general difficulty of boss fights I know I won't be able to get the "good" ending so I'm not really motivated to push through to get one of the bad ones either, at least not right now.

The charm system was good. The map system was bad. I get what they were trying to go for--they want players to just fart around in a new area and discover stuff organically without consulting the map all the time. But I heavily use the screenshot feature to remind myself of where to backtrack in MVs and with a half-functional in-game map that approach didn't work so well. It's also arguably too long for an MV--my 95% playthrough was still 40 hours.

If you haven't played it, I also really enjoyed Ender Lilies. It has a similar charm system, is about half the length, boss battles are a bit more manageable. I think it has a better map system although some folks might disagree with that. Very atmospheric though.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Great job.

have races to see who can say “have a garbage day!” first :)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
One of things that makes me prefer Steam is the generous refund period. You get a couple hours to see if a game is for you and then you can return it. I'm at the point now where I will no longer buy a digital game on the Switch because I'm not interested in wasting my time and money on games that just don't click with me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Goons, I just bought Hollow Knight (on Steam, to play on my Steam Deck, but I figured I'd bring it up here because almost everyone itt seems to love it), and I'm excited to play it for the first time.

Very minor spoiler but one room has a guy which upgrades your weapons and I somehow missed that room so the whole game became incredibly hard, moreso than it was meant to be.

If boss fights seem like slog fests maybe check the above.

Had the same thing happen to my wife in Tunic -- certain things should not be overlookable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hammer Bro. posted:

Had the same thing happen to my wife in Tunic -- certain things should not be overlookable.

Was it the shield? Bunch of people seem to miss that, which, yeah, makes things a whole lot tougher.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Very minor spoiler but one room has a guy which upgrades your weapons and I somehow missed that room so the whole game became incredibly hard, moreso than it was meant to be.

If boss fights seem like slog fests maybe check the above.

Who's this? I'd look it up, but I'm trying to play it as blindly as possible, though I'd hate to have been missing someone.

I got the lady, uhhh... bug, who sighs whenever I talk to her and sells map stuff, and then the other guy who sold me my first shard of my mask, and then jacked the price up for the next one. There's a third merchant?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's like two more merchants, and also other people you can buy things from I wouldn't say are full merchants.

Both the other merchants are in earlyish areas

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Who's this? I'd look it up, but I'm trying to play it as blindly as possible, though I'd hate to have been missing someone.

I got the lady, uhhh... bug, who sighs whenever I talk to her and sells map stuff, and then the other guy who sold me my first shard of my mask, and then jacked the price up for the next one. There's a third merchant?

The weapon upgrader is a bit further in. He's pretty hard to miss if you just visit every screen.

If you get farther and feel like you should be stronger, you can read this for the general location to know if you passed him or not: Hes in the city of tears

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Super-NintendoUser posted:

One of things that makes me prefer Steam is the generous refund period. You get a couple hours to see if a game is for you and then you can return it. I'm at the point now where I will no longer buy a digital game on the Switch because I'm not interested in wasting my time and money on games that just don't click with me.

yeah, I miss going to the video store and renting a nintendo game for the weekend, then if it was something I wanted to play a bunch more of, I could save up to buy it. Got burned on Total Recall, buying it before playing. Hardest drat buyer's remorse from the first NES game I bought with my own money.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

B33rChiller posted:

yeah, I miss going to the video store and renting a nintendo game for the weekend, then if it was something I wanted to play a bunch more of, I could save up to buy it. Got burned on Total Recall, buying it before playing. Hardest drat buyer's remorse from the first NES game I bought with my own money.

Could've been worse; you could've been the kid that won the Nintendo power total recall draw to meet Arnold Schwarzenegger, which never happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The weapon upgrader is a bit further in. He's pretty hard to miss if you just visit every screen.

If you get farther and feel like you should be stronger, you can read this for the general location to know if you passed him or not: Hes in the city of tears

building on this, there’s a boss fight that becomes a brick wall if you haven’t upgraded your nail by then. Quirrel will show up nearby to warn you away from it and recommend finding the smith, so if you have that chat with him you’ll know to look elsewhere

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I was a dumb little kid and was upset that I got Mega Man 2 instead of some other game so I made my mom bring me back to Toys-R-Us and returned it and got loving Strider of all games instead.

Goddamn i was a dumb kid

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My copy of Bayonetta 3 got delayed because I placed the order in 2018 and forgot to update my payment method.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is one of many reasons why preordering is a bad idea

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would have been fine going digital with it but I got locked into that $50 price literally years ago.

Which is fine. I’m hooked on Cult of the Lamb and gonna be playing the new RE Village DLC tomorrow.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Detective No. 27 posted:

My copy of Bayonetta 3 got delayed because I placed the order in 2018 and forgot to update my payment method.

That kinda sucks but also if I was excited enough to pre order a game 4 years ago I'd be anxiously keeping my eye on things as release approached

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Morpheus posted:

Was it the shield? Bunch of people seem to miss that, which, yeah, makes things a whole lot tougher.

I'm guessing it's the upgrade system. I missed that for a fair while too because why would I think that I could do that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Large Testicles posted:

I was a dumb little kid and was upset that I got Mega Man 2 instead of some other game so I made my mom bring me back to Toys-R-Us and returned it and got loving Strider of all games instead.

Goddamn i was a dumb kid

I chose SNES Rocko's Modern Life instead of Super Metroid when my grandma took me a Kmart to pick out a video game. I still lay away at night and think about that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sad Panda posted:

I'm guessing it's the upgrade system. I missed that for a fair while too because why would I think that I could do that?

It tells you in the manual

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Good lord, I love the fall/winter weather....I'm leaving work early today and am looking forward to an afternoon of snuggling up in bed with some more Moon RPG. :kiddo:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I chose SNES Rocko's Modern Life instead of Super Metroid when my grandma took me a Kmart to pick out a video game. I still lay away at night and think about that.

my decision haunts me to this day as well

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Large Testicles posted:

my decision haunts me to this day as well

be 9 and make the choice:

vs

vs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

vs

vs

Is this some sort of regression therapy, where you just remake the situation, but choose differently, so the memory of the good choice can live in your head as a healthier memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

vs

vs

yeah 9 yo me definitely chose strider cause that laser sword looks fuckin badass and mega man just has that lil bitch pistol