Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I made a Magic School bus start that is just a bunch of teens and Mrs. Frizzle stranded after their shuttle crashes. Mrs. Frizzle was eaten by a Warg while hauling fish back from the river in the first season, but everyone else is doing pretty good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:thunk: but Liquid Snake got all the dominant genes.

I don't think Kojima understood how genetic inheritance works.

But now I'm wondering how long until you can do in vitro gene therapy in Rimworld to create super children.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did tick the box to make them all inheritable when I set it up but *shrug*

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

This can happen normally with genetics irl too. Two redheads can have a kid that does not have red hair, etc. because those traits are only from one half of each parent's genes and they got the other half of that particular chromosome from both. The same is true for breeding plants and animals for specific traits. Genetics are very complicated.

But yeah absolutely mod that poo poo because it's more fun lol

It's mostly weird because, like, I don't think it works the other way round, the genes are not dormant they're just... gone, and that's weird because genelines would die out if that happened.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh hey, I just did the initial High Life rituals and it looks like it summoned a raider

Oh wait hold up

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

seriously take a close look at wasters if you're going with any of the prebuilt races, the only really bad/suboptimal things about them is the racial ugliness and the wake-up addiction immunity isn't very good (you still get heart attacks, I don't think it's worth it)

Ugliness is a boon in some ways, beautiful pawns have greater value. Your raids are probably easier because you're ugly

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

I made a Magic School bus start that is just a bunch of teens and Mrs. Frizzle stranded after their shuttle crashes. Mrs. Frizzle was eaten by a Warg while hauling fish back from the river in the first season, but everyone else is doing pretty good so far.

iirc that's how the cartoon ended too

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I did tick the box to make them all inheritable when I set it up but *shrug*

It's mostly weird because, like, I don't think it works the other way round, the genes are not dormant they're just... gone, and that's weird because genelines would die out if that happened.

Genelines do die out, there was a whole thing a decade or so ago pointing out that redheads are dwindling in number and will probably not exist in another century

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but like, there are entire civilizations of people with perfect genetic replication on this planet yet when two of them gently caress apparently within a couple of generations they will revert back to human.

I am aware that genes can die out IRL but in the game these supposedly galaxy spanning genelines can't survive forty years.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880505421

What the gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might actually need that because I only started with three colonists of this geneline and I don't think i can make a stable population with them otherwise, everyone's gonna be half-siblings at least. Might need to get the IVF mod that lets you clone people.

I remember the game used to track familial relationships for animals too and it was a pain in the arse then because if you slaughtered the wrong one then they couldn't reproduce any more.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Does it do that with the default xenotypes, or just your own custom ones? I was under the impression that the "50% chance to pass on each gene" only effected custom xenotypes, which just seems kinda lovely.

Also really don't like that you can't use the dev menu to change to one of your custom xenotypes, just the default ones. Character Edit was able to save me there at least.

This won't help the problem, custom xenotype parents roll a 50% chance on each GERMLINEgene to see if they pass it on, the xenogenes are never passed on by default. The lost genes aren't "deactivated", they are removed from the new pawn entirely. Within 3 generations most likely they'd be back to baseline humans again, which feels lovely when the Yttakin, Impids, and whatnot have no problem passing on all their genes. I really have no idea why they made it work this way, I get it if you're mixing two different xenotypes you need to do something to merge them, but why when both parents are the same xenotype?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Targaryen colony incoming

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

This won't help the problem, custom xenotype parents roll a 50% chance on each GERMLINEgene to see if they pass it on, the xenogenes are never passed on by default. The lost genes aren't "deactivated", they are removed from the new pawn entirely. Within 3 generations most likely they'd be back to baseline humans again, which feels lovely when the Yttakin, Impids, and whatnot have no problem passing on all their genes. I really have no idea why they made it work this way, I get it if you're mixing two different xenotypes you need to do something to merge them, but why when both parents are the same xenotype?

That's extremely weird, I assumed it would just work on a per-gene basis and endogenous traits were just as heritable regardless of the source.

What a weird way to do it.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That's extremely weird, I assumed it would just work on a per-gene basis and endogenous traits were just as heritable regardless of the source.

What a weird way to do it.

That checkbox that you hit on custom xenotype creation to "make germlinegenes inheritable" gives them that 50% chance, without that they'd be producing 100% baseline humans.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

how are you still surprised at this fanbase

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

OwlFancier posted:

I might actually need that because I only started with three colonists of this geneline

It would be nice if you could flag your own custom xenotypes as “this is a(n) common/uncommon/rare* branch of humaniti” and it would sprinkle that Xenotype into the more multiracial factions as appropriate. Or flag one as being its own faction.

Hopefully someone figures out how to do that via a mod.

* But still a xenotype you’ll run into occasionally on a midworld, not something so rare you’d be lucky to see one in your whole lifetime.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 27, 2022

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

marumaru posted:

how are you still surprised at this fanbase

I think what bothers me is the implication of the word "consensual"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can murder children and turn their skin into hats but incest is too far?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
People in this thread post about amputating limbs of prisoners because it makes their lives slightly more convenient.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I'm hoping someone mods in a way for custom Xenotypes to show up in existing factions. It's fun making new mutants in the editor but lame that they never pop up in game unless I force it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

GaylordButts posted:

Does it do that with the default xenotypes, or just your own custom ones? I was under the impression that the "50% chance to pass on each gene" only effected custom xenotypes, which just seems kinda lovely.

Also really don't like that you can't use the dev menu to change to one of your custom xenotypes, just the default ones. Character Edit was able to save me there at least.

I think this would all be solved if there were two separate trackers of genes per pawn (I'll call them "left" and "right") and an additional field for each gene for dominant or recessive. Then, instead of rolling a 50% chance per gene to be passed on or not, the game would instead roll to see whether to take the "left" or the "right" pool for each individual gene. If a gene is dominant, having the gene in any line would result in expression; recessive would require both.

That said, for this to really make a difference, you need like 3 generations of pawns which is like 9-12 in game years and by then you've probably quit that colony or you've uncovered gene injection technology and are tailoring your genes anyway. You're also probably not breeding within the same xenotype since you're recruiting from whoever is attacking (without the above mod), so the pool is going to mix anyway. Somewhere in development I think someone realized it wasn't going to make that much of a difference for most players and the added complexity would invite more opportunities for systems to break or more time to develop/test and what we got was the "good enough" answer.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone have a rundown on the combat mechanoids? With 14 of them it's hard to know what's worth making :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: Nevermind I'm dumb and this second post was covered already (about gene inheritance)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 27, 2022

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

piL posted:

Somewhere in development I think someone realized it wasn't going to make that much of a difference for most players and the added complexity would invite more opportunities for systems to break or more time to develop/test and what we got was the "good enough" answer.

Disagree on this bit, I ran into this on literally the first day within 2 hours of playing. I did a crashlanded start and created a custom xenotype, and applied it to all 3 pawns (technically all 8), and 2 pawns happened to start a relationship pretty quickly after starting. Didn't take too long before they became pregnant, and then gave birth to a pawn tagged as a baseliner (I think this bit got hotfixed on launch day after I encountered it) that was missing half the traits both parents had and sent me researching why the genes didn't pass on after I marked them "inheritable" . I had put both types of tails on this xenotype, and somehow the kid had neither (among a host of other genes). I would guess a lot of players will do a game start on either crashlanded or lost tribe with a custom xenotype and will be likely to have a pregnancy happen, and then encounter this system.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but doesn't the "Genes are heritable" toggle on the custom xenotype editor make your custom xenotype function like the prebuilt ones where the entire line gets passed on?

That checkbox gives it the 50% chance to be inherited, without that none of the genes would pass on. I'm also pretty sure it moves them from Xenogenes to Germline genes when you hit that? I haven't messed with custom xenotype creation since I started this save and subsequently had to install Character Editor to reapply the custom xenotype to the infant.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
re: passing cool genetic engineering poo poo down to children

yeah this is the way I wish it worked in vanilla, the "intended" way seems to be for you to splice in the vampire bite thing.

QuarkJets posted:

Ugliness is a boon in some ways, beautiful pawns have greater value. Your raids are probably easier because you're ugly

that's fair and it absolutely gives you a pretty clear goal, because nobody hooks up until both parties have Some Work Done

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 27, 2022

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

deep dish peat moss posted:

These mountain settings will give you things like this every time:

Out of curiousity, how do the breaching raids handle this? If I have my colony in the middle of the mountain there, will they try to drill into the back of it? I know the breacher raids have some specific logic for avoiding turrets and some calculations that determine what it is they want to path to - will 30 tiles of rock completely dissuade them, eventually?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah breachers don't beeline straight for bedrooms regardless, they still have pathing rules that won't send them through 15 tiles of rock, they just have a greater tolerance for walls in their pathfinding algorithm. I don't know the specifics but unless you're tunneling that interior mountain out to within 3-4 tiles of the other side they'll probably get forced to walk straight in.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

GaylordButts posted:

Disagree on this bit, I ran into this on literally the first day within 2 hours of playing. I did a crashlanded start and created a custom xenotype, and applied it to all 3 pawns (technically all 8), and 2 pawns happened to start a relationship pretty quickly after starting. Didn't take too long before they became pregnant, and then gave birth to a pawn tagged as a baseliner (I think this bit got hotfixed on launch day after I encountered it) that was missing half the traits both parents had and sent me researching why the genes didn't pass on after I marked them "inheritable" . I had put both types of tails on this xenotype, and somehow the kid had neither (among a host of other genes). I would guess a lot of players will do a game start on either crashlanded or lost tribe with a custom xenotype and will be likely to have a pregnancy happen, and then encounter this system.

I meant in a distinguishable sense. In mendelian inheritence, if the traits were dominant not recessive, what you observed would be plausible 1/16 (94%) of the time for each trait if each parent had one dominant and one recessive allele across two genes. Since your assumed catgirls had two tail genes, the Rimworld simplification has the same likihood.

It's the same percentage. You'll need a second generation and a sufficiently large n to observe the difference without looking under the hood. Gregor Mendel used 28,000 different pea plants.

Of course, this is all moot, because not everything would be universally spread out as hybrid allele-havers. You may notice that way more than 94% of humans are born with hands; that's because the "gene" for 'being born with hands' is very prevalent*. And the system's lack of ability to distinguish that gets us there. I'd expect most genes among xenotypes to have similar stark prevalence, but it's all still a plausible outcome.

What sucks about that is that it wouldn't take very much more recordkeeping to fix: population allele frequencies set for xenohumans, recessive or dominant natures for genes and tracking two copies of genes instead of one. But now that I say that, you can start adding in more and more complexity--what about epigenetics? X- or Y- linked? Complex inheritance? Phenotypic expression from non-genetic factors? I can see the lure of saying "what is the minimum complexity of genetic inheritance I need to get a product that looks mostly like genetic inheritance in most games."

In fact, if allele frequency was as low as 50% among xenohumans for any one trait, you'd actually only get two hybrid allele owners paired up 25% of the time, which means that you'd only have a 1 in 4 chance of seeing gene effects 1/16 of the time in the above examples--1 one in 64 chance of each each pairing for each gene. Much worse with likelier frequencies in the 80 or 90s percent. You wouldn't meaningfully observe the features of biotech in the vast majority of games, just like you don't commonly see humans born without hands. With the exception of what happens when the different xenotypes breed, Biotech inheritance could have just invented HAR with extra steps if they followed my cool modeling plan. It looks like Tynan may have made the call to present the most 'interesting' case. Hopefully it's easy for modders to fix.

*(well actually, it doesn't exist--there is no one "have hands" gene, and mendelian genetic inheritance itself is only a model and one that fails to describe all sorts of types of inheritance)

piL fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 27, 2022

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Weird. A bug is messing up my xenotype editor when creating a colony in both the base UI and Character Editor. When I scroll to the bottom there's a blank xenotype and the Okay/Save button vanishes. It's explicitly not any mod that does anything to genes or xenotypes since I removed all of those and it persists. Anyone had something similar?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I don't think anyone wants that much complexity, a simple "50% chance for dad's genes, 50% chance for mom's, if they both have it 100% chance" is how I assumed the system would work and how I want it to work

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

I don't think anyone wants that much complexity, a simple "50% chance for dad's genes, 50% chance for mom's, if they both have it 100% chance" is how I assumed the system would work and how I want it to work

:same:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Weird. A bug is messing up my xenotype editor when creating a colony in both the base UI and Character Editor. When I scroll to the bottom there's a blank xenotype and the Okay/Save button vanishes. It's explicitly not any mod that does anything to genes or xenotypes since I removed all of those and it persists. Anyone had something similar?

Yeah the same thing happens to me, unsure what mod is making it upset but it's that blank tile showing that seems to break the UI. If you collapse the Drug Genes menu on the bottom things should act normally again.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 27, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Gadzuko posted:

That's even less accurate than the current system. Just use HAR.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Imagine 2 cavemen having a baby and thier baby is just some guy named dave.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you want 2 cave men to make a baby you need a mod for that, I use this one
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2879035868

e: and if you want to make sure the baby is consistently dave then you want this one too
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2879538186

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hihohe posted:

Imagine 2 cavemen having a baby and thier baby is just some guy named dave.

lol two bearded cavemen crushing rocks to make sharp rocks, one pregnant with a boy who will one day be named Dave with a high score in "research"

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I might actually need that because I only started with three colonists of this geneline and I don't think i can make a stable population with them otherwise, everyone's gonna be half-siblings at least. Might need to get the IVF mod that lets you clone people.

I remember the game used to track familial relationships for animals too and it was a pain in the arse then because if you slaughtered the wrong one then they couldn't reproduce any more.

:same:

I didn't realize that when you made a custom xenotype that you'd never ever see it anywhere -- raids, crashed pods, nothing. So I have no way of getting more "natural" humans of my xenotype and I've already paired the handful I have off to make kids.

Even the kids show up as "baseliner" even though they have all the genes of their parents, and I don't think the character editor has support for changing that yet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well the less-natural way in the unmodded gane is with the specific xenogene made for that, the vampire bite gene, but yeah

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone know of any mods to remove mountain roof? The one I used has been abandoned, seems like.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

well the less-natural way in the unmodded gane is with the specific xenogene made for that, the vampire bite gene, but yeah

I've just been extracting from my colonists to make a xenogerm of just their xenotype and I'll re-apply it to the kids (and to all of them for consistency) once it's done I guess. Hope that works.

King Doom posted:

Anyone know of any mods to remove mountain roof? The one I used has been abandoned, seems like.

Map Edit Tools can do it.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sachant posted:

I've just been extracting from my colonists to make a xenogerm of just their xenotype and I'll re-apply it to the kids (and to all of them for consistency) once it's done I guess. Hope that works.

I'm not 100% sure it works this way but I think it does, please tell us about it when you try it