Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Sachant posted:

I've just been extracting from my colonists to make a xenogerm of just their xenotype and I'll re-apply it to the kids (and to all of them for consistency) once it's done I guess. Hope that works.

Bad news, Xenogerms cannot be inherited at all unless you install a mod to do so. Only Germline Genes are inherited through birth, though you could just keep reapplying that xenogerm. However...

Sachant posted:

I don't think the character editor has support for changing that yet.

Great news, Character Editor can change xenotype already. You could also go through and randomly change a bunch of the already generated pawns' xenotypes using that. I already used it to fixed the child that was born missing half the custom xenotype, and since only one of my timed rituals grants a new pawn, I decided I'm just going to use Character Editor to change the xenotype of whatever pawns come in from that event.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
if you have multiple babies and multiple eligible wet nurses they can share the duty around :3:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

GaylordButts posted:

Yeah the same thing happens to me, unsure what mod is making it upset but it's that blank tile showing that seems to break the UI. If you collapse the Drug Genes menu on the bottom things should act normally again.

Do you have any mods adding new drugs? I believe I read somewhere that the game tries to auto generate drug genes and modded drugs will break it as a result.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Feeding babies insect jelly seems cruel. They should be able to eat meals made entirely of chinchilla meat, instead.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

got my little baby haver quarter all furnished and with a shelf of baby food for convenience :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I didn't realize the tribal raiders were attacking from two directions! Romero is a good boy, he didn't deserve this! :gonk: They killed my two chocobo's first chick and badly injured one of them too. A couple of them were downed, but sod that, they die for this!

[edit] Also one of my colonists, the guy who was fleeing from the tribals in the first place, apparently lost a toe. Suck it up dude, at least we saved your life, that also means all 6 colonists I designed at the start are finally Reunited! The Reunion mod is cool, though I expected it to take longer, probably should've adjusted the settings.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 28, 2022

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Grab Im Moor posted:

I also had a few weird bugs regarding pawn aggro. I wanted to nurse a scaria terrier back to health hoping I'd get a free Nuzzling Agent in my lonely mechanitor lab fortress but while feeding it with raider flesh my pawn randomly decided to punch its tail and kill it. I had a similar thing with a raider I tended to with the plan to capture and release for relation points, my mech man patched them up and then suddenly brained them with the autopistol. Another weird thing happened on a caravan encounter with a neutral faction, when I sent out a mule pawn to deal with the pollution, the game didn't even give me the option to decide what to do, it just dropped me into a battle field with the opposing faction's caravan that of course severely outclassed my naked mule pawn, telling me that I "attacked" the caravan and the relation dropped from -12 or so to -88. Is that a thing that can happen now or what am I doing wrong? I've never had these issues in 1.3 and earlier.

Figured out this instant patient killing happens when the enemy entity is not in jail and getting up while being tended to. I caught my tending pawn just the moment they were about to knock another raider wiggler when they were trying to get away! Still no idea about the caravan incident though. I have a new mule that is hauling garbage bags to the lovely imp pirates camp and trades to the only faction that doesn't hate me pretty much nonstop and every caravan encounter was normal. But it's gentle tribe faction caravans only currently and not the rough outlanders so maybe there is a chance the outlanders will just gang up on you randomly? But the message about me attacking them wouldn't make any sense then, idk.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've now come across multiple posts by people explaining how to turn de-limbed female prisoners into ovum farms for vat grown babies to slaughter for organs, so maybe Tynan was wrong to change his mind about adding pregnancy and kids to the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the "two of the exact same xenotype don't have offspring that matches their xenotype" thing is a confirmed bug I believe. there's a lot of weirdness that I'm assuming is going to get hit in the first patch. remember how much tweaking the ideoligion system got for a while after it came out? including adding whole rear end features like being able to generate them naturally over time lol

related but it's a little disappointing how little the DLC interact with each other. I know Tynan doesn't want people to think they need a particular DLC to get the most out of other DLCs, but like, some kind of interplay would be nice.

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I've now come across multiple posts by people explaining how to turn de-limbed female prisoners into ovum farms for vat grown babies to slaughter for organs, so maybe Tynan was wrong to change his mind about adding pregnancy and kids to the game.

been doing something similar but cutting out the middleman and I just captured a vampire and tore his limbs off, so I can regrow his organs and sell them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've just been doing a pretty relaxing Randy Mechanist start, do I need to kill the first mech lord to unlock the cleaning bots? I don't want to neglect cleaning but it feels like my colonist spends way too much time cleaning up after her bots so it's hard to get research done.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Any tips for converting pawns to your ideology? These new colonists are being kind of a drag.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any tips for converting pawns to your ideology? These new colonists are being kind of a drag.

there's usually a sort of priest position you can assign someone that has a convert ability. they can convert someone with like 3- 5 uses with that command so long their socials good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Hihohe posted:

there's usually a sort of priest position you can assign someone that has a convert ability. they can convert someone with like 3- 5 uses with that command so long their socials good.
Is there a mod to change the cooldown on that? One every three days is utter bullshit.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are three methods to convert ideology

1) Arrest them, set it convert
2) Do a conversion ritual (long cooldown)
3) Have your priest use conversion ability. (shorter cooldown)

If you're capturing people you should pretty much always convert them before recruiting

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Croccers posted:

Is there a mod to change the cooldown on that? One every three days is utter bullshit.

Nothing for the cool down but i use this that makes the convert ability and conversion ritual 8x as effective so you can immediately convert rather than it taking 3 or 4 tries.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2657451776

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

this is just why the next expansion, War, should allow you to send raids against others

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Everyone knows the next expansion is Worms

isndl
May 2, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I've just been doing a pretty relaxing Randy Mechanist start, do I need to kill the first mech lord to unlock the cleaning bots? I don't want to neglect cleaning but it feels like my colonist spends way too much time cleaning up after her bots so it's hard to get research done.

Yeah, cleaning bots are tier 2 and also use the T2 subcore (but still uses the small gestator).

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Imprisonment is pretty much always the best way without gambling on lucky conversion rituals. If they're already your faction you can skip the recruitment step and immediately release once they're converted.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hihohe posted:

it depends heavily on social skill and adjusts the target toward the caster's ideoligion a moderate amount; there is a conversion ritual that is much stronger but has a longer cooldown (use the ritual if you can).

isndl posted:

Imprisonment is pretty much always the best way without gambling on lucky conversion rituals. If they're already your faction you can skip the recruitment step and immediately release once they're converted.

once you get a well developed moral guide with high social this isn't necessary for most pawns any more but yeah for iron willed ones or slow learners (e.g. neanderthals have this built in), you will want to lock them up and hotbox them until they convert.

Croccers posted:

a highly developed moral guide in a nicely furnished temple will almost always get it done in one try, imo you don't need to mod this but whatever's fun.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 28, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would love an official expansion that added a shitton of new biomes and unique location tiles and stuff. Also, nomadic colonies.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 28, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

little simple Fallout Shelter-style adventures you can send your dudes on. think of the modding potential lol

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Next update should Improve combat system so that you can have a gun in one hand and small melee in the other(or a slot you can switch to), move and shoot, target specific body parts, try to shoot a gun in melee, maybe abilities to learn as your combat skills get higher

Just generally more combat actions.

Theres probably a mod for all that but id like to see it official

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would love an official expansion that added a shitton of new biomes and unique location tiles and stuff. Also, nomadic colonies.

Nomadic colonies can kinda work already, I was doing a nomadic wolf-folk game for a bit when the expansion dropped. if you grab Set Up Camp and turn your number of allowed colonies up to say, 2 or 3, you can do what actual nomadic peoples do and establish a circuit between different regions. The storyteller will overwhelmingly prefer to send events at your actual colonies instead of where your traveling pawns are camping though, so you'll be gone for a season and come back to find that, for example, the map has become a nightmare of insect swarms fighting waster pirates in a perpetual hellwar.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

had not noticed the Pollution overlay!

there's one for temperature too!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Post your worst Rimworld Atrocities

I have pretty much this same setup except instead of using the prisoners to vat-grow babies, I use them as a blood farm for my colony of 10 vampires

They're all de-limbed and roll around naked in piles of 5 in empty sterile rooms while being force-fed lavish meals to keep them alive. And every day someone comes in and either drinks blood out of them or extracts their blood for drinking later. I'm thinking of setting up a system to regrow their organs so I can start sustainably harvesting lungs and things.

It would be cool if the game reacted to atrocities like this by having everyone get mad and launch assaults at you to free the prisoners, maybe with some kind of subterfuge system you could use to keep them hidden. As-is, being a disgustingly-awful psychopath is just min/max gameplay :kiddo: Like, how come Wesley Snipes isn't assaulting my Vampire Bloodfarm compound?

e: If I can find a prisoner with the Deathless gene I bet I could even harvest an infinite supply of hearts from them!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 28, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Piell posted:

Everyone knows the next expansion is Worms

The concrete donkey event is going to be a bitch

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I didn't notice this right away but if you implant a gene package into a pawn, and then later on you implant another, it completely removes and replaces whatever xenogenes (implanted genes) were there before, so any time you get a new idea or find a new extremely useful gene, you have to re-build the entire set and pay the cost of any archite vials for it. I can see why they thought this was necessary but wow that's a massive throttle (use the vampire bite gene!)

isndl
May 2, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I didn't notice this right away but if you implant a gene package into a pawn, and then later on you implant another, it completely removes and replaces whatever xenogenes (implanted genes) were there before, so any time you get a new idea or find a new extremely useful gene, you have to re-build the entire set and pay the cost of any archite vials for it. I can see why they thought this was necessary but wow that's a massive throttle (use the vampire bite gene!)

Yeah, the tooltip for xenogenes explains this, but it's easy to miss:

Xenogenes tooltip posted:

Xenogenes are genes derived from an implanted xenogerm. If the xenogerm is removed or replaced, the xenogenes go with it. Since xenogenes are not part of the organism's own germline DNA, they are not passed to children.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:hmmyes:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
200% hunger rate suuucks they spend so much time running to get food. I’m gene modding everyone to be afraid of the sun just so they eat half as much.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In-game lore is like "humans are too skittish about organ farms so they tried to genetically engineer pigs that grow human organs and accidentally create pig-people"

and then redditors are like "so here's the optimal way to create an organ assembly line out of the condemned offspring of quadriplegic prisoners"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

200% hunger rate suuucks they spend so much time running to get food. I’m gene modding everyone to be afraid of the sun just so they eat half as much.

you can address that with bionics though
e: here's a concept for you: if you have undying, then I'm pretty sure you can just, y'know, not eat.
e: I am going to test this!
e: at 80% malnutrition you get consciousness capped and become unconscious, so obviously this is super-not-ideal lol

yep you just .... hibernate until someone puts food in you eventually I guess :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 28, 2022

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Blood drinking can be a pain to manage if you aren't a slaver. There's no way to buy packs and they can't subsist on animal blood as far as I can tell. To build the equipment to make it better require stocks of blood which can be tough to get if you fall behind.

You end up needing to have the vampires rotate through the colonists munching on everyone which is a mood debuff (even their lovers which is a shame in my free love colony).

You can have your vampires feed on dying humans if you can't capture them in time but I've been up to my ears in bots and bugs so hard times for the two vampires.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I find that imprisoning and making them unhappy works best while trying to convert them. There is also the crisis of belief state that can happen during extreme break risks which can work in your favor. When they are done you can just release them and they are a colonist again, no need to convince them to rejoin the colony.
e: Social is the stat for warding so have your best social pawn do the task on prio 1/be the moral leader.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 28, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ludeon is no longer accepting bug reports via the old web forum and now recommends their Discord:
https://discord.gg/MwnRrXt

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

IcePhoenix posted:

You can also reduce to home zone to the most important rooms to be cleaned, i.e. bedroom/rec/dining/food prep only, and turn off automatic home zoning. A dirty workshop or growing zone etc. is not a problem so don't worry about it early on. The threshold for dirty room food poisoning is pretty high at 2 so it doesn't have to be squeaky clean all the time. You can even have your food prep on a dirt floor and only occasionally get rid of trash or blood. Especially in a single pawn start run I like to have all the rooms + research in a single barracks style 13 wide room in the beginning so I don't have to clean and walk around too much and focus on more important stuff. Also zone the walls, otherwise they won't get repaired and also remember that no fire gets extinguished outside the home zone so you might want to change the zone temporarily during a flashstorm event or something.
e: Could also help to make a work zone for your bots and only allow them to go a certain route/rooms/stockpiles. I have an on hold zone in the dirt mech room in case one doesn't have any active tasks.
e2: actually dirt floors everywhere are pretty great because they have a set dirt value and don't produce more dirt on their own unlike wood floors for example. You can even grow daylilies on it because they only need 50% light which is a pretty powerful beauty increase but it takes a lot of work so you might want to wait until you have a farming bot or a dedicated farmer pawn. Dirt & flowers also don't increase colony worth, which after the amount of colonists is the main value that determines the severity of raid events.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 28, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Search and Destroy updated (thank god)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1467764609&searchtext=destroy

isndl
May 2, 2012

Grab Im Moor posted:

e2: actually dirt floors everywhere are pretty great because they have a set dirt value and don't produce more dirt on their own unlike wood floors for example.

This was nerfed in 1.3, dirt floors can get filthy if it's under a roof. Might as well throw down a flooring of some kind to minimize the cleanliness and move speed penalties at that point.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

I keep expecting some massive moral panic to kick off about rimworld, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

isndl posted:

This was nerfed in 1.3, dirt floors can get filthy if it's under a roof. Might as well throw down a flooring of some kind to minimize the cleanliness and move speed penalties at that point.

:tipshat: I guess I missed that nerf, I just didn't notice it. Still I think the pros outweigh the cons in the early game at least for me as I'm playing on higher difficulty and try to minimize the value footprint of my buildings as much as possible. I basically only do dirt floors + flowers and later concrete + art in a barracks.