Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if this is somehow related to the fact that the XB360 can't handle multi-factor authentication correctly so needs a "device password" set up. I know the XB1 usually automatically handles this natively but I could see it being screwy for the first time setup where it needs to properly fully download your profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

I wonder if this is somehow related to the fact that the XB360 can't handle multi-factor authentication correctly so needs a "device password" set up. I know the XB1 usually automatically handles this natively but I could see it being screwy for the first time setup where it needs to properly fully download your profile.

I wonder that too, but the errors I'm seeing (albeit generic) read more like the emulator can't touch the network or something rather than failed authentication. It knows what it needs to download, it just cant get there.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
You 100% need to use an app password to log into the Xbox 360 network in order to download the profile. If you haven't done that yet, that's absolutely the next thing you need to try.

The reason it can't talk to the network is because it doesn't know how to handle the authentication without an app password.

barnold fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 27, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

barnold posted:

You 100% need to use an app password to log into the Xbox 360 network in order to download the profile. If you haven't done that yet, that's absolutely the next thing you need to try.

The reason it can't talk to the network is because it doesn't know how to handle the authentication without an app password.

Where would I be applying that password though is the question, because I don't get a login prompt inside the X360 emulator, it just tries to connect and bombs out.

Edit: What I'm gonna try for now is just let it sit overnight and sort through the download list I gave it from me scooping games out of gamepass. That way I can gently caress with the network settings without it trying to do anything in the background tomorrow, see if that helps.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 27, 2022

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Try deleting your xbox360 profile so it can redownload it. It worked for me. Unfortunately it was a year and a half ago so I don't remember how I did it. I think the issue mostly comes from if you have changed your gamertag since 360.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Numbers talk from Phil at WSJ Tech Live

• Game Pass is 10-15% of Xbox's revenue, and it's expected to stay that way
  • PC Game Pass subscriptions year-over-year increase of 159%
  • More than 20 million people have tried XCloud
  • Prices (of console? game pass? both? not specific) may have to rise after the holiday season

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I wonder how many PC game pass folks are also playing on the Xbox? I had game pass on my Series X for months before realizing I also had access to the PC library.

I generally play on the console but have a bunch of friends on PC-only friends so I alternate between the two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Try deleting your xbox360 profile so it can redownload it. It worked for me. Unfortunately it was a year and a half ago so I don't remember how I did it. I think the issue mostly comes from if you have changed your gamertag since 360.

First thing I tried.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I wonder how many PC game pass folks are also playing on the Xbox? I had game pass on my Series X for months before realizing I also had access to the PC library.

I generally play on the console but have a bunch of friends on PC-only friends so I alternate between the two.

Other way around for me. I've had Gamepass for PC for a while, but I like being able to use my big-rear end TV and a controller from my couch, plus there's a bunch of games old and new Xbox games I want to play without my old Elite trying to attain flight, so it was worth getting a new Xbox for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, I play on both, it's nice when stuff is play anywhere, because of my partner wants the Xbox I can just pick back up on my PC. Very slick to fire up the game on a different device and pick up right where I left off.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Signalis is out on Game Pass today

https://twitter.com/LastStarfarer/status/1585632910610030592

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I've had the strangest glitch happen just now. My kid was booting up Minecraft, and some Microsoft Bob voice started muttering in the background while the game was loading. It took me a second to realize it was some text-to-speech engine that was reading out the main menu options, but before those even finished loading. It stopped once the game has loaded.

Had anyone else experienced this? Is my XSX haunted? :psyduck:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I've has the strangest glitch happen just now. My kid was booting up Minecraft, and some Microsoft Bob voice started muttering in the background while the game was loading. It took me a second to realize it was some text-to-speech engine that was reading out the regular menu options, but before those even finished loading.

Iirc there's a way to activate that feature that's really easy, like a single controller button press if you're on the dash. It's happened to my partner before because she doesn't have 20 years of muscle memory on an Xbox controller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I mostly play on PC but have a series X in the living room for playing with kids, they love that stupid rear end disney game or multiplayer stuff like rubber bandits or goat simulator

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Professor Beetus posted:

Iirc there's a way to activate that feature that's really easy, like a single controller button press if you're on the dash. It's happened to my partner before because she doesn't have 20 years of muscle memory on an Xbox controller.

I think all the Microsoft games start with this now. Flight Sim has the voice announce how to enable from the title screen

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

This looks cool as hell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got some Shadow Complex vibes from Signalis which rules. Dunno if it is similar at all just going by screenshots.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I've had the strangest glitch happen just now. My kid was booting up Minecraft, and some Microsoft Bob voice started muttering in the background while the game was loading. It took me a second to realize it was some text-to-speech engine that was reading out the main menu options, but before those even finished loading. It stopped once the game has loaded.

It's an accessibility feature, since one of the latest updates it's turned on by default.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Beastie posted:

I think all the Microsoft games start with this now. Flight Sim has the voice announce how to enable from the title screen

Ahhh, this and the above post explain it. It makes sense to enable it for a second to tell visually-impaired players how to enable it.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I appreciate how Requiem’s stealth sections give you a chance to just go “gently caress it” and sprint to the exit if you’re spotted

LOL yeah I've done that successfully a couple times when I'm just RIGHT THERE near the end. 50/50 chance you make it or get ventilated.

My only real beef with the rat game is at least as deep into the game as I am they gave up on solo boss fights and replaced them with wave combat encounters. The game isn't designed for quick combat against 2-3 enemies at a time. There are a couple solo mini bosses early-mid game, but they can be killed in seconds with a tar\fire combo. I just set the difficulty to narrative when the waves happen and crank it back up when it's over.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

priznat posted:

I got some Shadow Complex vibes from Signalis which rules. Dunno if it is similar at all just going by screenshots.

It’s more of a survival horror that harkens back to the PS1 era of such games.

And it’s really cool! Nice atmosphere, awesome visuals. Only played about 45 minutes of it but so far I’m very intrigued.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 27, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Microsoft has been really pushing things forward wrt accessibility options, and I think it's pretty cool that they're doing stuff like that.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Microsoft has been really pushing things forward wrt accessibility options, and I think it's pretty cool that they're doing stuff like that.

I just wish the notifications would default to the top of the screen and stop covering subtitles.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When did they add the search bar and settings button to the home screen by the clock and battery indicator? I just noticed it this morning.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
just today I think

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Professor Beetus posted:

it's cool but it's kind of annoying how every time i play Forza Microsoft sam starts rambling for half a second before turning off. bro i have text to speech off just respect the console settings.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RandolphCarter posted:

I just wish the notifications would default to the top of the screen and stop covering subtitles.

I finally switched mine to the top left because it's so annoying.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

it's cool but it's kind of annoying how every time i play Forza Microsoft sam starts rambling for half a second before turning off. bro i have text to speech off just respect the console settings.
It's Microsoft/first party policy to bring up the accessibility menu on first run, with a bunch of stuff on by default for people who need it to navigate (and for everyone else to turn off).

IIRC this caused problems with the Quake 1 re-release since everyone button-mashed through the accessibility menu and complained about the fonts being changed. They ended up changing it so you have to sit through an explainer screen for a couple of seconds.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

It's Microsoft/first party policy to bring up the accessibility menu on first run, with a bunch of stuff on by default for people who need it to navigate (and for everyone else to turn off).

IIRC this caused problems with the Quake 1 re-release since everyone button-mashed through the accessibility menu and complained about the fonts being changed. They ended up changing it so you have to sit through an explainer screen for a couple of seconds.

im aware it's just slightly annoying. it's not like my console has any secondary accounts or anything.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

barnold posted:

That's only relevant on the actual Xbox360. The back compat does not use the authentication system as it pulls the details directly from the host (you can't download a profile that isn't already on the Xbox One/Series).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I’m the complete opposite of this - had the PC version for about 18 months before realising a console was going to be a better choice

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

That's only relevant on the actual Xbox360. The back compat does not use the authentication system as it pulls the details directly from the host (you can't download a profile that isn't already on the Xbox One/Series).

I changed my username about a week ago and needed an app password to log back in and play 360 games on my Series X

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Where the hell are my pins

Edit: they were hiding I found them

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rocket Pan posted:

I had to use an app password to re-download my 360 profile on my Series X after changing my gamertag. That was about a year ago so it's possible that it changed, but I definitely had to go and put in an app password

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Why the hell is Somerville coming out the same day as Pentiment. Also coming to game pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_vhxXNN9qk

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I changed my username about a week ago and needed an app password to log back in and play 360 games on my Series X

barnold posted:

I had to use an app password to re-download my 360 profile on my Series X after changing my gamertag. That was about a year ago so it's possible that it changed, but I definitely had to go and put in an app password

I've been using the 360 back compat since it originally launched and between multiple consoles, and not once has it ever asked for a single authentication detail. I find you two encountering it to be extremely perplexing. However from using app passwords on the 360, I do know it will ask for it even if you haven't generated one yet, so lacking one shouldn't be producing an Xbox Live connection error in theory.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Uhhh Signalis seems like it absolutely loving rips

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rocket Pan posted:

I've been using the 360 back compat since it originally launched and between multiple consoles, and not once has it ever asked for a single authentication detail. I find you two encountering it to be extremely perplexing. However from using app passwords on the 360, I do know it will ask for it even if you haven't generated one yet, so lacking one shouldn't be producing an Xbox Live connection error in theory.

I get pinged for it when I play 360 games, I changed my gamertag late last year or so.

Odd thing was gamertag change was free. I expected to get dinged for $10 or whatever.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

I've been using the 360 back compat since it originally launched and between multiple consoles, and not once has it ever asked for a single authentication detail. I find you two encountering it to be extremely perplexing.

It definitely wasn't an issue when I upgraded from a Series S to a Series X, so I assume it's somehow tied to changing my gamertag. And it's not the first time it happened in just this way.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'll just say I changed my pretty much lifelong gamertag to something else relatively recently and didn't have this problem loading up my profile with a different name. I did have to do the trick where I deleted my profile in the Xbox a bit ago, but that was when I had my original name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Wiltsghost posted:

Why the hell is Somerville coming out the same day as Pentiment. Also coming to game pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_vhxXNN9qk

Just saw this is from the the people who made Inside and Limbo? Excellent.