Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Had to stop my USA game in 1926, game crashes every few minutes and even with maximal exploitation of every oil well in the current day USA/Mexico I'm hitting critical shortages. Might mess around as a small nation to see how things are different, but definitely hoping that first patch comes sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope paradox nearly guts the current military management system. The actual fronts and battles are fine I guess, but the interface is a nightmare. Setting up commanders with their troops is a nightmare. Not being able to merge or move units around is a nightmare. It's all so deeply unintuitive and lovely feeling.

Keep the abstracted front system, I'm happy with the death of units. But just give us a big pool of troops we can assign and shuffle around between commanders with ease and have them show up big and bold on the map so you can just click on a unit and give them orders. That 50 unit army should have a little portrait of the commander and a big "50" under it like an army in a typical paradox game. Then I can click on it and order it to a front entirely through the map with ease.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
So far, I'm really enjoying the economic management/supply chain puzzle - there are interesting decisions to be made about how you want to gear your economy, what you should produce locally and what you can just export, etc. I'm also digging the political system, even if the transition from authoritarian backwater to full-progress parliamentary republic with no discrimination seems a bit easy to pull off. It's fun juggling IG power and saying "ah, these assholes again" when an event pops up because the industrialists have hurt feelings. The economics and the internal politics are, as has been said, the heart of the game and I think it's an excellent start.

I think what's missing at the moment is more of a reason to care about what's going on elsewhere - as a non-GP I feel pretty limited in what I can actually do to change my relationship with other powers - it's especially weird how, as Sweden, I can't really do anything with my puppet Norway. It all feels a bit passive. I haven't actually initiated a diplo play yet, but that's in part because I want to set things up diplomatically first with the other powers so I can be more confident of a good outcome.

I'm also wishing for some more bespoke events or even just announcements. Some HoI4-style announcements that, e.g., the Americans are having a civil war, oh how silly, would give me a reason to look up from my economic Rubik's cube.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I really hope paradox nearly guts the current military management system. The actual fronts and battles are fine I guess, but the interface is a nightmare. Setting up commanders with their troops is a nightmare. Not being able to merge or move units around is a nightmare. It's all so deeply unintuitive and lovely feeling.

Keep the abstracted front system, I'm happy with the death of units. But just give us a big pool of troops we can assign and shuffle around between commanders with ease and have them show up big and bold on the map so you can just click on a unit and give them orders. That 50 unit army should have a little portrait of the commander and a big "50" under it like an army in a typical paradox game. Then I can click on it and order it to a front entirely through the map with ease.
You don't have to set up commanders with troops though? The game just automatically assigns troops based on the relative ranks of your commanders. That bit is actually easy and intuitive.

I mostly agree with the rest of this though. You can kind of keep track of your commanders through the outliner, but I feel like there should be an easier way to just tell a guy to go to a place and fight.

The Narrator posted:

it's especially weird how, as Sweden, I can't really do anything with my puppet Norway.
They definitely need a way for you to direct the development of your puppets. Especially since they've modeled the Dutch East Indies as a puppet rather than part of the Netherlands. It's probably going to be super frustrating when you can't get them to develop rubber and oil in the late game economy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eiba posted:

I think they mentioned that in earlier versions of the game there were benefits to building stuff in the same province. Like building a steel mill where there's coal and iron mines used to cut down on infrastructure use or whatever, and citizens in provinces with food factories would get groceries easier, but as far as I can tell that's not in the game anymore. Once you make it it all gets sucked into the omnipresent cloud that is the national market. I think it would be nice if there were more local quirks in value, but I can respect that they want to keep it simple to make the gameplay more even.

i think that local efficiency, dynamic IGs, etc. all the stuff that was seen as a bit too complicated during development was cut with paradox knowing fully that someone was going to make a mod that re-implemented it all

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gort posted:

How's that work? Your troops take huge penalties for a full year when you switch their equipment, and wars start much faster than that.

I swapped over the moment the situation started, the military group was giving me +30%, and actual infantry are much more powerful than barely-armed peasants. I started out with a much lower army score, but as the equipment came in and the penalties faded, the difference was quite stark. Also, I outnumbered them roughly 2:1. They just weren't expecting the army to modernize as quickly as it did.

On a side note, invading Japan is a nightmare. Every loving advance into the country splits into two other fronts, and the AI happily jumps into the gap and instantly closes the gap unopposed. The front system is nice, and works well in open areas, but needs to be abstracted a hell of a lot more and have the front stop splitting when the terrain gets in the way. If I'm invading State A from State B, it shouldn't matter if State A is shaped like a horseshoe that I'm approaching from the top.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
do NOT sleep on proportional taxation, holy poo poo

on my next game (as the sikhs) I might just straight up rush it

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

On a side note, invading Japan is a nightmare. Every loving advance into the country splits into two other fronts, and the AI happily jumps into the gap and instantly closes the gap unopposed. The front system is nice, and works well in open areas, but needs to be abstracted a hell of a lot more and have the front stop splitting when the terrain gets in the way. If I'm invading State A from State B, it shouldn't matter if State A is shaped like a horseshoe that I'm approaching from the top.
I think the simplest thing is to abstract things even further. The player can't split fronts they might want to, fine. Make it so fronts never split. If you're in the same region, or adjacent regions, and there's a pocket or a secondary front- gently caress you no there isn't just keep throwing all the troops into each other randomly like you've always been doing regardless of whether the line on the map is contiguous.

The fact that you can put one general on the border of the CSA and have them command from Texas to Maryland just fine, but when you fight Canada you need like five different guys because of all the lakes is silly.

I don't need there to be more complexity. Let the CSA be one mega front. But let Canada also be a mega front please. Micromanaging this stuff is terrible!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jazerus posted:

i think that local efficiency, dynamic IGs, etc. all the stuff that was seen as a bit too complicated during development was cut with paradox knowing fully that someone was going to make a mod that re-implemented it all

for now it feels like the right idea but it might be something i want later to add more complexity when things have bnecome more simple. mightve been nice if there was a difficulty setting which added that stuff in as a hard mode.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Operation: Relocate the Netherlands is a success

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Eiba posted:

You don't have to set up commanders with troops though? The game just automatically assigns troops based on the relative ranks of your commanders. That bit is actually easy and intuitive.

I mostly agree with the rest of this though. You can kind of keep track of your commanders through the outliner, but I feel like there should be an easier way to just tell a guy to go to a place and fight.

They definitely need a way for you to direct the development of your puppets. Especially since they've modeled the Dutch East Indies as a puppet rather than part of the Netherlands. It's probably going to be super frustrating when you can't get them to develop rubber and oil in the late game economy.

The game shouldn't automatically divide up armies and fleets, it makes it impossible to specialize your naval bases or barracks to your leaders. It doesn't seem difficult to implement either, since every barracks and naval base is its own building.

Speaking of the Dutch East Indies, my experience fighting wars there was completely insane. In Indonesia you can end up fighting a swarm of minors, which will create a zillion little fronts you can't oppose without spam recruiting generals to split up your army into smaller units.

Dirk the Average posted:

Wars involving multiple islands goes off the rails very fast. In Indonesia I did a naval invasion and closed that front by advancing to the end of an island chain. But somehow that teleported my entire army, as well as the enemy army, all the way into the landlocked interior of New Guinea, where they started fighting anew.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I've done a few starts in different nations just to get a feel for what kind of opening moves are good and so far it seems like overcoming the goddamn landowners is pretty much #1 on the list. They really suck because they are perfectly content with just sitting on their land and peasants and collecting taxes. They don't really have a desire to industrialize or make the nation stronger in any way. They would be perfectly happy to keep the status quo perpetually so long as nothing threatened their situation.

Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844, Rent of Land posted:

||I, 3| Landlords’ right has its origin in robbery. (Say, t. 1, p. 136, footnote.) The landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed, and demand a rent even for the natural produce of the earth. (Adam Smith, op. cit., Vol. I, p. 44.)

Landowner elites were the literal Number One enemy to economic development and industrialization in multiple fronts of political economy, something elaborated and agreed by a rather large crowd in that subject, from Alexander Hamilton to Karl Marx. I'm still gauging the feel of the game to see how annoying they are, but landowner elites should absolutely be a pain in the rear end at all times to any player who wants to advance their economy and productive forces

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Eiba posted:

I think the simplest thing is to abstract things even further. The player can't split fronts they might want to, fine. Make it so fronts never split. If you're in the same region, or adjacent regions, and there's a pocket or a secondary front- gently caress you no there isn't just keep throwing all the troops into each other randomly like you've always been doing regardless of whether the line on the map is contiguous.

The fact that you can put one general on the border of the CSA and have them command from Texas to Maryland just fine, but when you fight Canada you need like five different guys because of all the lakes is silly.

I don't need there to be more complexity. Let the CSA be one mega front. But let Canada also be a mega front please. Micromanaging this stuff is terrible!

I don't know how fronts are determined exactly, but I see a lot of similarities with the hoi 4 frontlines, in that if you start creating pockets or splitting the frontline the game tends to go nuts and you have to clean up after it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eiba posted:

I don't dislike this suggestion but there needs to be the ability to have more than one battle at a time on a single front, otherwise fronts need to have a maximum size.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't know how fronts are determined exactly, but I see a lot of similarities with the hoi 4 frontlines, in that if you start creating pockets or splitting the frontline the game tends to go nuts and you have to clean up after it.

yeah it 100% feels like this lol i agree w the suggestion of just automerging them into one front. i actually dont dislike the combat overall outside of the fronts being insane

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Yeah I was in a war where the opponent sent all their forces to a border my ally was pushing, letting my army rampage through my front and start taking ground. In an entirely random, border gorey, meandering path that spawned front after front after front.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GreyjoyBastard posted:

do NOT sleep on proportional taxation, holy poo poo

on my next game (as the sikhs) I might just straight up rush it

I'm on proportional taxation right now and as it stands it looks like Graduated Taxation will actually be lower revenue? I am guessing because of my POP composition

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

having overly large fronts really sucks when your war goals are just not being advanced on. i was stuck in a war with the US as mexico for years because my dudes were only strong enough to win sometimes and they just didn't even try to take wyoming and south dakota until they had arkansas or some other dumb poo poo like that

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
1858ish and I managed to beat Russia as China. They started a war over taking Hokkaido, so I took both Japan and Russia's portion of the territory and made them recognize me as a great power.

Now I've got all the privileges that come with being a great power. I'm making money with a construction of 400 right now (paying off some war debt; really should remember to ask for reparations).

The landowners still have a clout of 27%. I've been trying to pass the Secret Police at 50% for about a decade at this point :xcom:

Edit: The tax situation is interesting. Consumption taxes and tariffs make up about 1/3 of my tax base. If I could actually tax my pops I'd be exploding with money and investing in everything all the time, but alas.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 27, 2022

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
World war zero for Canadian independence is going well, although the only useful ally between the USA, France, and Austria is USA. USA is helping me hold the mega front line on the east coast while France appears to be invading only colonies and Austria is doing nothing. It looks like I will be able to bleed Britain down economically. Will take independence and possibly war reps if my economy doesn't completely gutter before that.
I was expecting for my economy to immediately crash because of my shared market with my enemy, not sure if it was a glitch or what, but it was all fine until I started to attacking the convoys which immediately took me from positive income to negative 250k a tick.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 27, 2022

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Haven't actually mucked about with it yet but apparently a good way to reduce the landowners is get the mutual fund tech and then turn every single agrarian building privately owned.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

A minor $80,000 deficit. Hope you have deep reserves!

I have 4.3 million in gold reserves, and I am hoping once I start collecting tariffs again I can lower the burn rate before that runs out...

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Dirk the Average posted:

1858ish and I managed to beat Russia as China. They started a war over taking Hokkaido, so I took both Japan and Russia's portion of the territory and made them recognize me as a great power.

Now I've got all the privileges that come with being a great power. I'm making money with a construction of 400 right now (paying off some war debt; really should remember to ask for reparations).

The landowners still have a clout of 27%. I've been trying to pass the Secret Police at 50% for about a decade at this point :xcom:

Edit: The tax situation is interesting. Consumption taxes and tariffs make up about 1/3 of my tax base. If I could actually tax my pops I'd be exploding with money and investing in everything all the time, but alas.

I keep trying to pass proportional taxation and getting hit with -10% tax or -10% chance events constantly. But I will tax those rich assholes eventually. It's far too profitable.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 27, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

whew, the treasury is stable at least

my industry isn't grinding to a halt but my pops have definitely taken a SOL hit in the past year. Lower class is -1, Middle Class is -5, Upper Class is -10.

Social Security and the Home Office are preventing radicalization from growing out of control but I should probably stabilize consumer good prices

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there not a "Basket of Goods" screen for POP standard of living? It is really only in that tooltip for each individual stratum lol

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So it's likely too early to fully tell and do forgive me for jumping the gun here; But from what I can tell alot of the problems which seem to be cropping up in this thread are effectively fixed by patches, as opposed to # number of DLC. If that holds out then that's quite encouraging because one of the fears I've had for this game is that it falls into the 'It needs DLCs to be a solid product' hell dimension which Stellaris, HOI IV and Imperator tumbled into.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there not a "Basket of Goods" screen for POP standard of living? It is really only in that tooltip for each individual stratum lol

If you go hunt down individual pops in the population screen you can get it for them, but yea the best method is the tooltip.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It is only in that tooltip afaict, but you can also mouse over the average SoL for the whole country there and it should give you country wide instead of by strata

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I played the first tut as Belgium and then the second as Brazil, I have a hazy grasp on how the economy is supposed to work I think but little else. I played them both for about 10 years/3-4 hours. Am I supposed to be playing these til the end to compete that individual tutorial?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man I have half a mind to junk all this conquered country's industry and eat the unrest while they're all pissed off about being taken, and/or encourage the migration to my own heartland. That way I can unfuck it.

I do have the Landowners and the Church marginalized, so I have that going for me.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

loving would have been nice to know white peacing out some native fucks would give me a 5 year truce where i cant colonize them. FFS. I've payed 20 hours of this poo poo and I still haven't been able to colonize a single loving state to satisfy the tutorial. Getting real mad.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Operation: Relocate the Netherlands is a success

If you reform into an absolute monarchy, you'd be 大日本低国, then?

Arrath posted:

Yeah I was in a war where the opponent sent all their forces to a border my ally was pushing, letting my army rampage through my front and start taking ground. In an entirely random, border gorey, meandering path that spawned front after front after front.

There's also the opposite problem of things which should be fronts but aren't. Not even in the "well historically they were split to allow tempo changes on each" sense, like, if you're trying to take Siberia and land in Okhotsk, northeast to Kamchatka across the narrow strip of traversible terrain is treated as the same front as west toward Transbaikal, even though they're separated by like 1000-1500km of land; if your war goals are to neatly trim any potential for Pacific ports away (not that it matters with infinite-range fleets, but eh maybe you like clean lines on the map) you straight up have to do a separate naval landing to get credit for holding at least one province in the state to let their war support tick down below 0 (or, presumably, march all the way to the Baltics before your dudes double back to fill that pocket.)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mandoric posted:

If you reform into an absolute monarchy, you'd be 大日本低国, then?

I went down the multicultural universal-suffrage route, so everyone is Dutch. It says so on their passport. Don't question it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SkySteak posted:

So it's likely too early to fully tell and do forgive me for jumping the gun here; But from what I can tell alot of the problems which seem to be cropping up in this thread are effectively fixed by patches, as opposed to # number of DLC. If that holds out then that's quite encouraging because one of the fears I've had for this game is that it falls into the 'It needs DLCs to be a solid product' hell dimension which Stellaris, HOI IV and Imperator tumbled into.

I feel like world variety / events stuff is gonna happen with (the newly more expensive than ever) flavor packs. I don’t think it’s fair to call things broken or anything the way they are; the mechanics alone do add a bunch of variation, but it is largely mechanics alone we’re working with at the moment.
This gets said with every paradox release but I do feel this one has absolutely incredible potential for mods, imo the most of any of the releases. The base mechanics are really really nice to play with.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Eiba posted:

Hell, strategic regions are already a thing. I’d be happy just distributing forces between “theaters”. Granted, transitioning between regions would probably get fiddly like in HOI4 air combat, but I’d take that over shuffling generals between a dozen fronts any day.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Dramicus posted:

I went down the multicultural universal-suffrage route, so everyone is Dutch. It says so on their passport. Don't question it.

:v:

"low" in compounds and "imperial" in compounds have the same standard pronunciation in Japanese, "empire" as a word is a compound "imperial-country", thus...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

oh no i just leopold'd myself

my mexico is the only country in the world with malaria prevention so i've been going ham in the congo and i just hit pariah state status. my customs union is flying apart and my influence is in the toilet

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My Chile has a teeeeny tiny little colony in the Celebes to grow some tea and coffee to try to bring the local price down a bit. Then I annexed Bolivia ala another poster's recommendation and oh hey they can grow those crops just up the (rail)road, no need for a sketchy colony halfway around the planet.

Really tho the fact that the new colony techs, like Quinine aren't rolled into ongoing colony ticks on a weekly rollover or whatever is a bit of an oversight. I had to abandon and restart that colony just to send over folks with modern drugs.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
In my Marina Kingdom (Madagascar) game it's 1905 I keep running up against convoy cap limits and have conquered Zanzibar and am eyeing of Somalia just to get more coastal states. It's a bit annoying as Madagascar has roughly twice the coast line of Ireland but only half the maritime infrastructure potential and has slightly more than one fifth the potential of the island of Britain despite being around the same size. It just gets ridiculous when you compare the port caps of Australia and Canada to their coastlines.

I suspect state-based infrastructure caps will be the new unidirectional trade routes of Victoria 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Arrath posted:

My Chile has a teeeeny tiny little colony in the Celebes to grow some tea and coffee to try to bring the local price down a bit. Then I annexed Bolivia ala another poster's recommendation and oh hey they can grow those crops just up the (rail)road, no need for a sketchy colony halfway around the planet.

Really tho the fact that the new colony techs, like Quinine aren't rolled into ongoing colony ticks on a weekly rollover or whatever is a bit of an oversight. I had to abandon and restart that colony just to send over folks with modern drugs.

Just save and reload the game and the Quinine will take effect.