Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How should voting be handled?
This poll is closed.
Select a panel of 3-5 judges from common community members or mods 6 27.27%
Community voting, any SA user can vote 14 63.64%
Other, explain below 2 9.09%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Put it in cspam, banner ads, and then we can all go around making threads in other forums linking to the voting thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Put it in cspam, banner ads, and then we can all go around making threads in other forums linking to the voting thread.

I'm inclined to say next time we do it we call it the Reagan Synth Revolution still. And I think we should do this like at least semiannually.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Delete GBS and place this forum in its position

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
i'm good with putting the voting in CSPAM, those (us) degenerate fucks know a thing or two about reagan, for better or worse I know something about cspam in 2022 vs gbs that I haven't touched in years, and it is a high visibility forum with a generally politically opinionated cast of characters. if there's no significant objection, so shall it be.

timing: no later than 6pm EST 10/28 I will post a spreadsheet here just tracking people who said they would submit, and submission URLs.

On actual halloween I will be trick or treating (:allears: no reagan mask, sadly, I am going as Calvin to my daughter's tiger costume) and probably offline all night, but sometime on 10/1 I will post a submissions thread with voting in CSPAM set to... 7 days? I will put the tracks in a randomly chosen order to correct for vote-order bias as best as possible and encourage people to listen to every submission or at least parts thereof before voting. CSPAM being CSPAM, things will happen, winners will emerge, prizes will be had, and maybe I will even master some cassette copies of the whole thing and sell them at-cost print-to-order through SA mart, ha. Yea yea I could do CDs in like 1/5 the effort, that's not nearly as funny.

when I post the vote thread I will probably lock this one with a last post linking to it??

I haven't played cop to see if any of ye toxxers haven't submitted but I will be sending a list to whoever the least popular mod at that moment is, because I'm a loving narc at heart. :weed:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Consulting several demons in hell who are friends with reagan, getting ideas for my next tracks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have such an enormous folder of reagan voice clips now that when I'm messing with audio I point it at that just because it's there and I'll "put in proper samples later." I was only supposed to make one song with reagan!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Holy poo poo, if there's a run of tapes that get made as a result of this, I will absolutely buy multiples.
Perfect gift for friends, family, enemies, etc.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the devil is a good person. I don't know where he lives

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

i'm good with putting the voting in CSPAM, those (us) degenerate fucks know a thing or two about reagan, for better or worse I know something about cspam in 2022 vs gbs that I haven't touched in years, and it is a high visibility forum with a generally politically opinionated cast of characters. if there's no significant objection, so shall it be.

timing: no later than 6pm EST 10/28 I will post a spreadsheet here just tracking people who said they would submit, and submission URLs.

On actual halloween I will be trick or treating (:allears: no reagan mask, sadly, I am going as Calvin to my daughter's tiger costume) and probably offline all night, but sometime on 10/1 I will post a submissions thread with voting in CSPAM set to... 7 days? I will put the tracks in a randomly chosen order to correct for vote-order bias as best as possible and encourage people to listen to every submission or at least parts thereof before voting. CSPAM being CSPAM, things will happen, winners will emerge, prizes will be had, and maybe I will even master some cassette copies of the whole thing and sell them at-cost print-to-order through SA mart, ha. Yea yea I could do CDs in like 1/5 the effort, that's not nearly as funny.

I'll be alternately goofing off and agonizing over this until the very last minute and probably won't produce anything worthwhile. I guess I have what, about 4 days till we find out! Just putting you on notice, I'll be last minute.

I am also in favor of doing another as soon as we finish this one. Maybe I'll get productive one of these days, who knows. I don't have anybody over here to play with and I wouldn't mind doing this a little more. Oh, I've located both the cable ends and the cable, so progress is more general than retrograde.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I have such an enormous folder of reagan voice clips now that when I'm messing with audio I point it at that just because it's there and I'll "put in proper samples later." I was only supposed to make one song with reagan!

I stupidly did all my browsing for speeches to sample in a normal browser tab and my youtube reccommendations are so incredibly hosed for now, it's not even funny :v:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I stupidly did all my browsing for speeches to sample in a normal browser tab and my youtube reccommendations are so incredibly hosed for now, it's not even funny :v:

let me know when you start getting banner ads for reagan cassettes from newsmax.com :laugh:

petit choux posted:

I'll be alternately goofing off and agonizing over this until the very last minute and probably won't produce anything worthwhile. I guess I have what, about 4 days till we find out! Just putting you on notice, I'll be last minute.

same. I have drums set, and I am messing with generative patches for the background, got my samples transferred from cassette but I need to settle on what I am using and put it all together. It's very much been a learning experience though!

edit: I am all patched up for this and I managed to move like 7 modules from a niftycase into a new rackbrute last night without unpatching anything :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 26, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Alright, this is what I have right now, for people who said they would submit, vs submissions. So far I see zero "unrecognizable" submissions, so that's an easy $20 for someone as it stands now :laugh:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1idQjd47aJx8yGQA7r3sRd6XWtT4CfjwyjA2gTTkyKHU/edit#gid=0

If I missed your submission or the thing I have linked next to your name is not what you want your submission to be or I hosed up and pasted someone else's, just quote this, or PM me.

Four days left! I hope we get another 8 last minute submissions here (including my own, of course), I'd feel bad if anyone actually got banned over this silly nonsense. Maybe next time instead of a toxx challenge we can do something sillier. On the other hand, if five people come through with clearly last minute creations at 11:59PM, I am gonna consider the toxx to have been a smashing success :allears:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Alright, this is what I have right now, for people who said they would submit, vs submissions. So far I see zero "unrecognizable" submissions, so that's an easy $20 for someone as it stands now :laugh:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1idQjd47aJx8yGQA7r3sRd6XWtT4CfjwyjA2gTTkyKHU/edit#gid=0

If I missed your submission or the thing I have linked next to your name is not what you want your submission to be or I hosed up and pasted someone else's, just quote this, or PM me.

Four days left! I hope we get another 8 last minute submissions here (including my own, of course), I'd feel bad if anyone actually got banned over this silly nonsense. Maybe next time instead of a toxx challenge we can do something sillier. On the other hand, if five people come through with clearly last minute creations at 11:59PM, I am gonna consider the toxx to have been a smashing success :allears:

Deadline's the 31st right? :sweat:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Please dont get banned for reagan. submit anything

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oh god damnit if so math blows the toxx and I have to resume janitorial duties for the synth goon bandcamp page

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

oh god damnit if so math blows the toxx and I have to resume janitorial duties for the synth goon bandcamp page

Oh, I didn't notice there was one. Can you pls link it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No, I don't know what happened either.

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/elimination-nation

Category: Recognizable Reagan

I got as far as sampling VCV and cutting up speech clips, and then had no idea what to do next. So I said gently caress it and went full 14-year-old-with-their-first-sampler on it.

No mixing, no mastering, no leveling, dumb memey poo poo, ear destruction. I don't think Reagan deserves any better than this. I just never want to look at it again :(

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 28, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

Oh, I didn't notice there was one. Can you pls link it?

https://synthgoons.bandcamp.com/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

I haven’t done anything for this yet. :shepface:

Haven’t heard any other submissions either. I have some ideas about what I want to make, but I don’t have the education or experience to pull it off well so it’s gonna be godawful. If it’s alright, I wanna post my current thoughts. Under spoilers so no one is unduly influenced by what I want to make.

I find it interesting that we’re getting a prompt about Reagan and spooky-scary-season alongside synthesizers and samples (including sampled speech). From everything I know about electronic history at the time, all of these elements veered close to each other but never quite converged on a single point, so welding them all together is gonna take some synthesis (:v:) of contemporary genres and sounds.

This is also going to be tonally interesting, complex, and honestly difficult. Reagan and the poo poo he kicked off conjures up an angry, explosive, and spiteful mood in me. Halloween, on the other hand, is a cold, quickly-darkening season full of dread, horror, and anxiety - so I associate it with a heavier, darker, more lethargic mindset (plus more than a little anxiety). These are somewhat opposing energies. I have no idea how to communicate both resentful rage and plodding despair at the same time, and I’ve never really seen it happen in electronic genres either. Darkwave is the closest thing I can think of, but it’s too high energy and doesn’t really make use of sampled speech.

I hate to say this, but the best example I can immediately draw from is early Nine Inch Nails :shobon:

In the meantime, I’m gonna try exploring these genres and pull from them:

- Industrial
- Breakbeat
- Darkwave
- Gothic rock
- Dark electro

And I’d love band suggestions!

yeah i didnt do any of this

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

No, I don't know what happened either.

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/elimination-nation

Category: Recognizable Reagan

I got as far as sampling VCV and cutting up speech clips, and then had no idea what to do next. So I said gently caress it and went full 14-year-old-with-their-first-sampler on it.

No mixing, no mastering, no leveling, dumb memey poo poo, ear destruction. I don't think Reagan deserves any better than this. I just never want to look at it again :(

Don't worry Polly, I'm pretty much in the same way. Ive been flitting from one instrument to another for weeks, and have produced several hours of Reagan sampled and lately mostly going through a comb filter, but I haven't really done anything coherent yet. We're coming down to the wire now though so I'll dig you later!

ED: Regardless of whether I've made a masterpiece or not, it has given me a little motivation and that has been great, and I would like to see us do this more, maybe. Or something like it.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 28, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good luck!!!!

I’m looking forward to picking people’s brains on their entries and how they made them, personally.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I thought I would try my hand at an unrecognisable Reagan and made this dark ambient track.
https://soundcloud.com/user-128663089/dinner-with-an-atheist

Seeing as no one else has submitted one though I shall abstain from entry, I just wanted to see if I could make anything interesting.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You guys better be ready to rhumba

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wrageowrapper posted:

I thought I would try my hand at an unrecognisable Reagan and made this dark ambient track.

Seeing as no one else has submitted one though I shall abstain from entry, I just wanted to see if I could make anything interesting.

That got me hankerin for some mangling, so here's a hidden Reagan to go along with yours
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/select-reagan-humor-1981-89

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I kind of want to make a track with Nixon samples now tbh

I've made a couple of tracks with samples of British politicians over the last two years, so this is like a nice refreshing change haha

Wrageowrapper posted:

hell yes this

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I kind of want to make a track with Nixon samples now tbh

we could just progressively work our way back through lovely presidents until we run out of "people who existed when audio recording did". And skipping Ford and Carter is maybe reasonable because afaik Carter was more ineffective than lovely and the worst thing Ford did was pardon Nixon?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

we could just progressively work our way back through lovely presidents until we run out of "people who existed when audio recording did". And skipping Ford and Carter is maybe reasonable because afaik Carter was more ineffective than lovely and the worst thing Ford did was pardon Nixon?

https://lib.msu.edu/vvl/presidents/harrison/

So back to 1889! :v:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

"Christmas with Nixon" has a nice ring to it, but doing these back to back might be a little much. On the other hand "Valentine's Nixon: Songs of Love And Oppression" seems p decent, too. Let's see how this wraps up and go from there!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm only doing this because I can't meet the deadline. I sorta feel like I"m only getting started and I would try it again, so please, let's do it again. And I really don't care to do anybody but Trumo, though now that I'm getting warmed up I feel like I could try Reagan again.

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/uil4

Oh, and I'm still going to make some cables. I think I'll probably talk to the winners about it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

I'm only doing this because I can't meet the deadline. I sorta feel like I"m only getting started and I would try it again, so please, let's do it again. And I really don't care to do anybody but Trumo, though now that I'm getting warmed up I feel like I could try Reagan again.

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/uil4

Oh, and I'm still going to make some cables. I think I'll probably talk to the winners about it.

Groovin to this at my posting station. Nice one. Don't let the deadline stop yah from following the inspiration, and continuing!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Groovin to this at my posting station. Nice one. Don't let the deadline stop yah from following the inspiration, and continuing!

Look one of these days I'll come up with one worth listening to, I'm sorry this isn't it. FWIW I have spent a lot of evenings jamming out with the sampler, 80s style, so I have maybe benefited from this contest. I'm still twiddling with the Akai even now, I love this thing. I'll put up some more stuff sometime soon, the usual places. I think I've learned how much more there remains for me to learn. I imagine that I'm not as advanced as a lot of you cats and kitties, maybe I'll catch up someday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't apologize for making art. Just have fun and make it for your own ears. Then put it out there because it costs nothing to do and maybe someone else will enjoy it.

Better use of time than doom scrolling twitter or whatever else it is people do for fun these days.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Don't apologize for making art. Just have fun and make it for your own ears. Then put it out there because it costs nothing to do and maybe someone else will enjoy it.

:emptyquote: x100

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Unfortunately I am not going to make the deadline either. I decided to get sober and spent a month in rehab followed by a week long stay in the hospital after another round of diverticulitis (from celebratory In-n-out the day I got out...

I did order a Moog Taurus as a present to myself for getting clean and hope to have something to share here in the next few weeks! And hopefully I will actually be able to pay attention and learn my synths now that I'm not drunk all day. Woo!

I'll take my :toxx:, sorry I couldn't contribute this time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

Unfortunately I am not going to make the deadline either. I decided to get sober and spent a month in rehab followed by a week long stay in the hospital after another round of diverticulitis (from celebratory In-n-out the day I got out...

I did order a Moog Taurus as a present to myself for getting clean and hope to have something to share here in the next few weeks! And hopefully I will actually be able to pay attention and learn my synths now that I'm not drunk all day. Woo!

Freaking good work! More important than making tunes for the thread. Goongrats.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Coolnezzz posted:

Sorry dude I'm just too cheap to take the toxx lol. I also had one of these weeks where every night I'm going nuts over how cool it all sounds and then wondering where it went when I listen to it in the morning. I still think I could have assembled all those different takes into some cool stuff but I just got impatient with only hours to go.

So anyway, come on back coolnezz, we can use a good gun hand.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Four days left! I hope we get another 8 last minute submissions here (including my own, of course), I'd feel bad if anyone actually got banned over this silly nonsense.

lol i ended up taking a bunch of extra shifts at work this month so this is my first free weekend, so there will be at least one by tomorrow night (or tonight if it goes well)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, I guess I still have a couple nights left. I'll give it one more try. I mean I have fun doing this stuff, it's just that I may not make a good piece of music out of it LOL.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I've been sick for more than a week, this is loving ludicrous. i have samples i want to used picked and sliced, some drumd and an awful vocal track, nothing fits together well but i think I'm just going to get high and and stitch something together and that'll be good enough!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I've been sick for more than a week, this is loving ludicrous. i have samples i want to used picked and sliced, some drumd and an awful vocal track, nothing fits together well but i think I'm just going to get high and and stitch something together and that'll be good enough!!

That's what I did.