Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hey so Donut County is less than $4 right now and you should all buy it. it's maybe 2 1/2 hours long and really cute and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Vikar Jerome posted:

That looks sick, gonna have to get on this new trilogy finally

For you and anyone else looking to jump into the HItman trilogy now it can seem a bit convoluted at first glance to get all of the content, although at the moment there isn't a sale going on so it's much less convoluted but rather pricey.

So each game is by itself is still 60 bucks, but it's $99 for the trilogy pack, and then 60 bucks for the dlcs for all of those games, so 160 altogether. Well not including the Deadly Sins dlc which a lot of people wouldn't recommend, unless you really want more after doing everything else, then that's another $30.

If a sale is happening then sometimes it's cheaper to get everything piecemeal, say if the trilogy pack is more expensive than everything on sale together, so that can make it more complicated. Just something to keep in mind.

Just remembered that 1 and 2 were PS+ games in the past so a lot of people might already have them. I think even though they were ps+ you could activate them in a purchased copy of Hitman 3 and just keep em that way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s the best game I’ve ever played about extremely zoomer raccoons

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 27, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Donut County is barely a game, there’s no real gameplay elements outside of a couple of very basic ‘puzzles’.

“Katamari witb a hole instead of a ball” is a concept that could have gone places and they do pretty much gently caress all with it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1585689542903857179?s=20&t=c6p3abn3ZXqcEn3RSvsZUA
Rather than censor the game, the devs cancelled the Japan release

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Maybe the Japanese will have to visit Play-America and import a forbidden copy

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Man, Korean horror can be so weird sometimes. Currently watching this now, and it's got a great sense of creepy dread and horror but at the same time the police force of the town are like the three stooges…

So, an accurate depiction. (Well, in reality the Seoul homicide investigation units are so good they have an annual solved murder case greater than 100% because they solve not only all of their murders but also other provinces and historical murders. But the average police officer you meet, well…)

I do wholeheartedly second the recommendation for Memories of Murder. It’s far and away one of my favorite movies.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 28, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Memories of Murder loving rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WHY BONER NOW posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1585689542903857179?s=20&t=c6p3abn3ZXqcEn3RSvsZUA
Rather than censor the game, the devs cancelled the Japan release

I doubt the market for gore is all that large in Japan, and it's the studio's first game so not all that surprising. Sucks for the half dozen people that would've bought it tho.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I doubt the market for gore is all that large in Japan, and it's the studio's first game so not all that surprising. Sucks for the half dozen people that would've bought it tho.

They can still buy it pretty easily if they want to anyway, the PS5 is effectively region free once you make a store account for wherever you want to buy something.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's gonna make for good marketing everywhere else too. The horror game that JAPAN doesn't WANT you to play

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Baggot posted:

Maybe the Japanese will have to visit Play-America and import a forbidden copy

Lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

It's gonna make for good marketing everywhere else too. The horror game that JAPAN doesn't WANT you to play

Yeah, I was gonna say, any free press will do

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i imagine that it's pretty gory in general, but japan has specific strict laws maybe, or at least rules for the ratings boards that doesn't allow you to show someone getting dismembered. i was wondering how this worked with resident evil 2 so i looked it up and found this which seems to explain more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TrSVsKZFyE

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

tuo posted:

Also thanks thread, never heard of Scuf. My neck still hurts from shaking my head yesterday evening after realizing how much I just spent on a Scuf controller, but I couldn't resists that Cyberpunk faceplate with pink shell and colored buttons and sticks, and I was waiting for the Edge to get backpaddles but was a bit dissappointed by it only having two.

Anything I need to know about Scuf? Known compatibility issues? Or is it a smooth ride?
No, you just sync it to the console like any other new controller and you're good to go.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah the Jp version of TLOU2 had most of the gore taken out. But it wasn't a gameplay mechanic, like in Dead Space and Callisto I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I can’t cut off their limbs what will I write on the wall in my own blood :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The UK version of TLOU Factions is censored and it's a crime against humanity

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

boooooo censors booooooooooo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Free the vagina bones

Bugblatter posted:

So, an accurate depiction. (Well, in reality the Seoul homicide investigation units are so good they have an annual solved murder case greater than 100% because they solve not only all of their murders but also other provinces and historical murders. But the average police officer you meet, well…)

I do wholeheartedly second the recommendation for Memories of Murder. It’s far and away one of my favorite movies.

I’ve always figured that stuff like this follows the same logic as “fan deaths” in that the crimes are “solved” in the same way they’re “sure” that guy with a bathroom full of pills got killed by leaving his fan on. Same with the historic crimes. The standards for evidence in the cases are just not very high and they’d rather people felt it was all taken care of.

An interesting comparison is the Black Dahlia murder in LA where the ex-police chief told press a little while back that they were 90% sure of who did it but the guy is long dead and so much time has passed that they have no way to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt so they’ve left it unsolved but effectively closed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

imhotep posted:

japan has specific strict laws maybe

Yeah, a few regions have some hard rules relating to game content ratings. Australia and Germany were two prevalent examples, especially in Australia where 15+ was the highest rating a game was allowed to have for a very long time (an "18+" rating was just a straight ban). Even with 18+ existing in Australia you're not allowed to, for example, show drug use with only positive and no negative consequences, and this can include stuff like "person gets injected with mystery goo and gains superpowers".

Japan is surprisingly strict in a lot of ways where they have a "CERO Z" rating which is basically equivalent to the ESRB AO rating. It's a strict 18+ where digital stores are legally required to age check (PSN accomplishes this by requiring a credit card on file for your account, which is rare and hard to obtain in Japan even if you're actually old enough). It has some non-negotiables like you're not allowed to kill innocent people without immediate and severe consequences, which on top of the usual open world games also got Retro City Rampage that rating in all its bloodless 8-bit glory. But even if you accept receiving that rating not all things are allowed, a ton of games needed tweaking to not get banned even with a CERO Z rating (Sleeping Dogs and CyberPunk have specially modified Japanese versions that are still CERO Z).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The UK version of TLOU Factions is censored and it's a crime against humanity

My jaw dropped when I found out that most of the goons we play with were stuck with some lame rear end no gore version of TLOU.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

My jaw dropped when I found out that most of the goons we play with were stuck with some lame rear end no gore version of TLOU.

Same. I'm both shocked and appalled.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally started RE3make, loved the opening, Jill seems a lot more badass than she did when I was awkwardly trying to run from zombies and failing to shoot them for the hour or so I tried RE1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Finally started RE3make, loved the opening, Jill seems a lot more badass than she did when I was awkwardly trying to run from zombies and failing to shoot them for the hour or so I tried RE1

Jill rules in REmake3, it's one of the main reasons I like it more than REmake2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should patch in the rest of re3 to the remake

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

quote:

Striking Distance has spoken proudly of The Callisto Protocol’s level of brutality and gore. “We have a gore engine,” studio head Glen Schofield told Eurogamer in June. “It’s a lot of rendering, and you break up the characters into [chunks], cut them up with bones sticking out and all that. Then the rendering guys, they do their special thing to it which is make everything look wet. And so every character had to be done that way — and however you go at it, chunks break off, or parts of the face, parts of the head.” It seems Striking Distance has decided the game experience would be too radically changed if this interactivity was removed — if it would even be possible to remove it.

Grabbed this from the ps discord. :getin: I need this game!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Had to quit plague tail 2 after the jank hosed me over too many times. Watched the end and its uhh well...
Its like the most hamfisted clownshoes attempt to ape the tlou2 naughty dog or rdr2 rockstar style serious gamer drama.
Pathetic mess of a disappointment.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Speaking of jank, UC Lost Legacy is kinda interesting cos, in my experience so far, it is considerably more janky than any of the main UC games. It still rules, and it's not a problem, but it makes me realise the extent to which I take the flawlessness of UC for granted.

In other news : my wife and kids are going away this weekend and I've got Elden Ring arriving in the post AWOOOOOOOOGA

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Donut County is barely a game, there’s no real gameplay elements outside of a couple of very basic ‘puzzles’.

“Katamari witb a hole instead of a ball” is a concept that could have gone places and they do pretty much gently caress all with it.

holy poo poo it's 2013 Gone Home discourse but worse

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Donut County was a cute lil romp and I enjoyed its whimsy so much I played through it a second time with my wife (admittedly it's like two hours long so it wasn't hard)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

imhotep posted:

i imagine that it's pretty gory in general, but japan has specific strict laws maybe, or at least rules for the ratings boards that doesn't allow you to show someone getting dismembered. i was wondering how this worked with resident evil 2 so i looked it up and found this which seems to explain more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TrSVsKZFyE

That channel is run by a psycho who thinks you should be able to see twelve year old anime girl panties btw so make sure to scrub your watch history lest youtube think you want more of that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kirbysuperstar posted:

That channel is run by a psycho who thinks you should be able to see twelve year old anime girl panties btw so make sure to scrub your watch history lest youtube think you want more of that

I did that the instant I saw the channel title, it was a safe assumption that it would be exactly that

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

jesus christ

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Stupid Enduring! t:mad:>

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/34WdxGpiw9M

holy poo poo piss!!!!!!!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i was playing horizon forbidden west again for a bit and was climbing a wall that was under a zipline and for some reason aloy climbed up to the zipline and pulled herself on top of it and she started sliding down the zipline except she was standing on top of it instead of hanging from it and was repeatedly looping her stepping animation and then she slid to the end of the zipline into a wall and started vibrating at extremely high speeds against the wall and was stuck there and I had to reload a save (could not fast travel because I was “using a zipline) and I wish I had gotten a video clip of this but I accidentally pressed screenshot instead but it was really funny

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

veni veni veni posted:

It’s because of Germany’s old censoring laws which they got rid of a few years ago, where you couldn’t show decapitations. This is probably why I like almost screamed when I used the explosive arrows in Tlou 2, which is most definitely not censored

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this game is going to own so loving hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIk2EqzY_LE

this is the stuff they should've shown first