Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I bought a big sachet of unflavoured electrolytes from Bulk Powders that I add to whatever drinks I want.

This looks like just the ticket, thanks OP

Gonna :toot: my own horn: I have just this week logged the myriad, 10,000 km year to date.

And now I'm gonna gorge myself with beer and milkshakes to try to gain 20 pounds by January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

It's so people can complain on the internet

Ah, the best reason to do anything.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Colorado Winter road riding is good, second best season of the year (after Fall, obvs). Shoes, gloves and layers.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

bicievino posted:

This owns.
What color is your new bike?

it's pink with a little wicker basket on the front, just like i always dreamed it'd be !!!

today i downloaded strava so i could fit in more with my weird bike friends and so i can tell you with certainty that today's ride was about 8 miles and killed my knee

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

w4ddl3d33 posted:

it's pink with a little wicker basket on the front, just like i always dreamed it'd be !!!

today i downloaded strava so i could fit in more with my weird bike friends and so i can tell you with certainty that today's ride was about 8 miles and killed my knee

!!

E: also, as someone who hosed up their knee as a baby 20 y/o I would be careful. So much easier to avoid getting hurt than to fix it after. At the time joint injuries really weren’t on my radar as a possibility (so seems like you’re a step ahead if you’re even noticing it) but turns out they definitely should’ve been.

E2: also in fairness my impression is that biking is super low impact for knees in general and my injury was from other cardio activities, so don’t want to sound too alarmist

tildes fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 28, 2022

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
If you are new to cycling, make sure you understand gearing and it’s relationship to cadence. It is often preferable to spin at higher cadence and lower resistance so you aren’t stressing your knees.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just be aware that Planet X is going to have UK brake setup by default unless you pay extra or swap it yourself.
Yeah, $60 for them to do normal style. I don't see the customize option on that particular Big Dog, either.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

osker posted:

If you are new to cycling, make sure you understand gearing and it’s relationship to cadence. It is often preferable to spin at higher cadence and lower resistance so you aren’t stressing your knees.

Agree with these posters. Use them gears and pedal faster than feels normal at first.
The other thing that can tweak knees is if your seat height is off. Many new riders tend to default for a really low seat height - this can contribute to knee pain. Hopefully wherever you bought it helped get that dialed in for you, though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
yeah, when i first started biking 5-10 miles at a time, my knees had some chronic pain for a bit. i did get the seat raised which helped a bit, but really the trick i found was to just go down to a lower gear more often - almost shifting like a car does, down a gear every time i was coming to a stop and up a gear once i got going. i've been biking in NYC so of course there's constant stop lights, and constantly restarting from 0 in a middle gear was really loving me up. after a few months of that my knees got a lot stronger and i don't downshift quite as often (unless i'm stopping on a hill or something). definitely worth trying to build a habit for if you're similarly starting/stopping often (and, of course, if you're just going up hills fairly often - just because you can do some slow, hard pedaling to get yourself up an incline doesn't mean that is a good idea long-term!).

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

bicievino posted:

Agree with these posters. Use them gears and pedal faster than feels normal at first.
The other thing that can tweak knees is if your seat height is off. Many new riders tend to default for a really low seat height - this can contribute to knee pain. Hopefully wherever you bought it helped get that dialed in for you, though.

atm i'm using a folding bike and i do go for a lower seat - it's hard deciding between crotch pain or knee pain, and i think i am better equipped to handle knee pain right now

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
You should go for no pain!

Saddle pain may take a bit for your butt to toughen up, like a week or several weeks and if it's still an issue you can go to the bike shop and some of them near me will let you test ride some different options so you can see what you like. See if that's an option if you keep having pain.

For saddle position, there's kind of just a good spot for it to be in. If you want to avoid knee pain it's gotta be correct height and correct fore/aft position above the pedals. Other positions will either hurt your knees or make you go wiggling down the road trying to reach too far for the pedals.

The height diagram gives you a good easy way to get the height correct. You use your extended heel so that when you're pedaling normally you've got a slight bend in the knee at the farthest extension

Mauser fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 28, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If it's crotch pain and not soreness under the bones you sit on, the saddle might be too narrow.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Also remember: you should NOT be able to put your foot down flat on the pavement while sitting in the saddle. Yes, this means getting off of the seat every time you stop. In my experience this is what has caused new riders to have knee pain every time it's come up with new riders I know. It's natural to want to be able to flat-foot it at stoplights, etc, but that's not how it works.

(it's also why I kind of want to get a dropper post for my grocery-getter bike, lol).

Apr 7, 2003

My wife's having new knee pain now, she basically went from a perfectly comfortable bike that she could do centuries with to a bike that hurt her all over this year with zero actual changes to the bike. don't know if it's in her head or it's a result of conditioning changes or what.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife's having new knee pain now, she basically went from a perfectly comfortable bike that she could do centuries with to a bike that hurt her all over this year with zero actual changes to the bike. don't know if it's in her head or it's a result of conditioning changes or what.

Saddle slipped in clamp, seatpost slipped in frame, saddle stealthily imploded and is now lopsided or unsupportive?

I’ve heard the same before, turned out to be a cracked saddle.

Apr 7, 2003

We've gone through something like six saddles since it started, used an angle thing + plumb bob to adjust them properly for her, etc. Still having problems.

We had a fitting scheduled for this week but can't get to it now. We'll schedule one later and see how it shakes out.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

wooger posted:

saddle stealthily imploded and is now lopsided or unsupportive?

Had that happen with an $$$ Selle Italia saddle that I bought during my weight weenie phase. Was getting some weird lower back issues before I figured it out.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Lol, looks like the model was wearing tall socks, but then the stylist or whoever made them take the socks off?

Anyway, for content:

I recently ordered new shoes from Lake. They're the CX238, which is a $350 shoe. Am I in the right to this this looks like seconds quality? There's glue residue in the BOA eyelets, all the loose fabric edges look like poo poo, the some black staining from ink or something, errors in the stitching?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When I was doing 10+ hour weeks of hard road rides stretching out became a necessity or else my legs would get so tight I would barely walk. Felt like knee inflammation and it would be there one day and subside in a couple days. Stretching really helped keep it in check. With my next bike I also went from a 175 mm crank to a 172.5 mm crank, that may have helped too.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 28, 2022

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

PolishPandaBear posted:

I recently ordered new shoes from Lake. They're the CX238, which is a $350 shoe. Am I in the right to this this looks like seconds quality? There's glue residue in the BOA eyelets, all the loose fabric edges look like poo poo, the some black staining from ink or something, errors in the stitching?

That's pretty unacceptable for shoes in that price range, I don't think it would be any different just because they're cycling. I'd contact them quick and try to get an exchange because their website says they only do returns within 14 days.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

PolishPandaBear posted:

Lol, looks like the model was wearing tall socks, but then the stylist or whoever made them take the socks off?

Anyway, for content:

That looks bad and I would ask them if that’s 350$ shoe quality.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Anyway, for content:

Looks nothing like the pics from this review https://road.cc/content/review/lake-cx238-carbon-road-shoe-278103.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

PolishPandaBear posted:

Anyway, for content:

Pretty standard for Lake unfortunately. They design good shoes, but they don’t make good shoes. I had a pair of CX302s where both heels were leaning in the same direction instead of mirroring each other. If you want well-made shoes, you pretty much have to buy Gaerne, Sidi, Fizik, etc.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This is a $390 designer shoe for contrast on the expected finish at that price point.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That also looks like garbage :shrug:

I'm not a shoe person though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's with some of these loving crazy KOMs from zwift?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Uh that has to be an ebike right? The HR is so low.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Strava is also full of segment winners who have their bike in a car going 60mph for 2hrs. For zwift? probably just cheating.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Uh that has to be an ebike right? The HR is so low.

It's clearly something along the lines of zPower + pretending to weigh 20kg or whatever. However if you think ~290W for 1.5min and probably ~135bpm is really low, then what do you think of this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 29, 2022

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

There was a bug a while back where if you were in a private meet up with “keep together” on, everyone went 40kph regardless of power. My time up box hill is faster than Phil Gaimons because of it

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

There was a bug a while back where if you were in a private meet up with “keep together” on, everyone went 40kph regardless of power. My time up box hill is faster than Phil Gaimons because of it

No one in their right mind does 290w at 40rpm though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

No one in their right mind does 290w at 40rpm though.

when we were all making GBS threads around zwift when the pandemic kicked off I did 420w at 69rpm for 690 seconds

wait you said right mind :thunk:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

If you too enjoy long weekend rides and having a proper lunch afterwards: a slow cooker is the best investment you can make.
Especially lovely to come home to a warm meal when the ride you were on was in pouring rain and/or cold.
and then have pizza and ice cream for dinner.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

e.pilot posted:

when we were all making GBS threads around zwift when the pandemic kicked off I did 420w at 69rpm for 690 seconds
:nice:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

w4ddl3d33 posted:

can i be a little baby in here for a second? i'm 20, i just learned to ride a bike last week, and today not only did i do my first 10 mile cycle, i also bought my very own bike so i don't have to borrow one anymore. this poo poo goes so hard

I hope you make better choices about bicycling than the choice to join the something is awful forums at 20 years old.

Congrats, though! Ride bikes, spin fast, take care of your knees, and lube your chain.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Angryhead posted:

If you too enjoy long weekend rides and having a proper lunch afterwards: a slow cooker is the best investment you can make.
Especially lovely to come home to a warm meal when the ride you were on was in pouring rain and/or cold.
and then have pizza and ice cream for dinner.

Not gonna a lie I thought the spoiler was going to say “and have a freshly waxed chain waiting”

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I have a Surly Disc Trucker in size 64 or 66, whichever is the largest frame. I want to get fenders for this so I can continue riding in the rain/weather. Maybe also a panier rack thing. I'm a little intimidated here, where do I start? Will all fenders fit on all bikes assuming they will accept the tire size I have? Are there any generally good options or companies that I should be looking at?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I have a Surly Disc Trucker in size 64 or 66, whichever is the largest frame. I want to get fenders for this so I can continue riding in the rain/weather. Maybe also a panier rack thing. I'm a little intimidated here, where do I start? Will all fenders fit on all bikes assuming they will accept the tire size I have? Are there any generally good options or companies that I should be looking at?

You probably want sks bluemels.

The fenders need to be able to fit in between the forks themselves, be compatible with the mounting points that you have and have appropriate coverage.

e.g. if you have a disc bike it might not have any brake bridge bolt holes to mount to (though you’re probably fine with a surly).

Full length is best as it keeps you feet dry and doesn’t splatter anyone you’re riding with.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

this winter im just going with a bunch of rear end SAVERS all over my CX bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

PDW All metal/Beast fenders are where it’s at. What size tires do you have?