Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Noticing a very glaring lack of Mass Effect in your post. Have you actually not played those?

Nah, I played ME 1, 2 & 3 to death too as well as Dishonored.

Appreciate all the suggestions. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Nah, I played ME 1, 2 & 3 to death too as well as Dishonored.

Appreciate all the suggestions. :)

How about the newer AC games?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

How about the newer AC games?

That's one series I never tried!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sean10mm posted:

That's one series I never tried!

Well there you go. The newer ones are all open world narrative driven stealth/action games, with rpg elements (gear drops and upgrading, skill trees and character builds, reputation systems and quests). General sentiment seems to be that Odyssey is the best, followed by Origins and then Valhalla. These are absolutely games you can sink hundreds of hours into.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Origins has the most flavor to it, with the actual character with motivations for a protagonist and the environment of Egypt being a lot more unique to experience. Odyssey people seem to love mostly for the shallow sidequest choices that can include boning.

The Arkham series has skill trees and kinda gets a bit worse each game, but Arkham Asylum is one of the best games of all time and Arkham City is still pretty good. There's skill treesin it.

The Souls series will probably give you something unique, and if you've played that many games you probably should check it out by now just because there's so much influence of it everywhere. A lot of people are really excited about Elden Ring, but there's something pure about the original Dark Souls.

Jedi Fallen Order is an example of its influence, but it's got some extra metroidvania things going on.

And if you want something weird, Dragon's Dogma. It's got one of the most unique magic systems, combat that involves climbing all over monsters, and what I think is still one of the best character creators out there.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Origins has the most flavor to it, with the actual character with motivations for a protagonist and the environment of Egypt being a lot more unique to experience. Odyssey people seem to love mostly for the shallow sidequest choices that can include boning.

That seems a bit reductive to me as someone who preferred Odyssey to Origins and did zero boning sidequesting. IMO Odyssey refines the mechanics of Origins in most ways even if it doesn’t change them much + the recreation of Ancient Greece is really cool. Kassandra is also a good main character I think, tho I’m definitely not playing AC games for the plot as much, so I might be under weighing those differences relative to other people.

tildes fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 27, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

tildes posted:

That seems a bit reductive to me as someone who preferred Odyssey to Origins and did zero boning sidequesting. IMO Odyssey refines the mechanics of Origins in most ways even if it doesn’t change them much + the recreation of Ancient Greece is really cool. Kassandra is also a good main character I think, tho I’m definitely not playing AC games for the plot as much, so I might be under weighing those differences relative to other people. I also

You're correct here, the post you responded to is really bitter for some reason. Odyssey improved on what Origins did mechanically, and added the excellent ship combat.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I *might* have avoided the AC games because I was afraid they were just Far Cry 3+ without guns? Definitely willing to give them a shot tho.

I've avoided the Souls games because all the talk about how nut smashingly hard they are put me off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You're correct here, the post you responded to is really bitter for some reason. Odyssey improved on what Origins did mechanically, and added the excellent ship combat.
I forgot about the ship combat, that was really fun looking back. never did actually beat the game either, think I'll start anew and try to focus a little more on the plot

(e)

sean10mm posted:

I *might* have avoided the AC games because I was afraid they were just Far Cry 3+ without guns? Definitely willing to give them a shot tho.

I've avoided the Souls games because all the talk about how nut smashingly hard they are put me off.
I wouldn't call it a Far Cry except in that both that series and nu-AC have moderate-to-severe Open World Map Icon Syndrome

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 23, 2022

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The DS games are more "very particular about how they want to be played, and very unforgiving if you stray from that" than they are super hard. Like yeah, they're definitely challenging, but once you learn the rhythm of the combat, everything clicks into place and it gets much easier, save for a few signature encounters that throw you for a loop.

If you play a DS and decide that boss battles are your favorite part, especially if co-opped, then get thee to the Monster Hunter thread :D

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I forgot about the ship combat, that was really fun looking back. never did actually beat the game either, think I'll start anew and try to focus a little more on the plot

(e)

I wouldn't call it a Far Cry except in that both that series and nu-AC have moderate-to-severe Open World Map Icon Syndrome

The modern gen have gone away from that alot though, in that there is a lot of poo poo all over the place but it isn't ALL there is, nor us nearly any of it required. You can have a great time icon hunting or just doing main story depending on you're preferences.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Ciaphas posted:

(e)

I like the new ACs a bunch and I think they are a "soft recommend" for OP but they definitely have plenty of DNA in common with Far Cry. 80% or more of AC gameplay is "sneak up outside of a base, bring up your magic vision and tag all the enemies, kill as many as you can through stealth until you are noticed, then kill as many as you can through action" and that's also 80% or more of Far Cry gameplay. You climb towers in both games to unlock things, they both have Open World Map Icon Syndrome as you note, in both cases the RPG mechanics are pretty thin, etc.

One is an FPS and one is a third-person game with hand-to-hand combat ripped off from the Arkham games, so the experience certainly is somewhat different, but the gameplay loop is pretty similar, if that was what OP's dislike of Far Cry was. The three new ACs have much better stories than any of the recent Far Cries for what it's worth, if that was the critique, especially the protagonists being way better. Kassandra is the best protagonist Ubisoft has made that I can think of off the top of my head, and the Far Cry player characters are mostly terrible.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I've played all the below games to death and need something in the vaguely similar "action-heavy with some (or a lot of) RPG flavor" vein.

[-]

Didn't like any of the Far Cry games (except Blood Dragon lol), Fallout 76 , The Outer Worlds, the Metro games, GTA V or Skyrim that much.

I'm going to second the rec for EYE: Divine Cybermancy, it's completely unhinged but in a good way.

If you liked Arkane's other stuff (Prey, Dishonoured) you should definitely check out their earlier work Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah, as well as Prey: Mooncrash and Deathloop.

Horizon: Forbidden West is out now and sounds like a safe bet if you liked HZD, although I haven't played HFW yet.

Divinity 2: Developer's Cut (not to be confused with Divinity: Original Sin 2, a very different game) might also be to your taste. Likewise Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Saints Row 3/4, perhaps, depending on what you disliked about GTA.

Just Cause 2/3 are probably also worth a look.

sean10mm posted:

They're hard, but they're not, like, Kaizo/Sierra bullshit hard where it's constantly doing stuff like "lol you walked past the tree on the right instead of the left so it falls over and kills you instantly". The difficulty mainly comes from three things:
- they are very unforgiving of mistakes, with enemy attacks, traps, etc taking off big chunks of health
- the level and encounter design give you lots of opportunities to make mistakes
- combat is fairly demanding execution-wise; parry builds require very precise timing, and dodge builds are more forgiving about timing but require more attention to positioning and stamina management

I am by no means a Hardcore Gamer™ but I still managed to finish all three (although I died a lot, and tapped out of Demon's Souls and the various Dark Souls expansion packs); I found that they tend to reward the same habits as good classic roguelike play:
- advance slowly and cautiously
- constantly search for traps and ambushes
- always have an escape route; never flee into unexplored territory
- avoid group matches; try to pull individual enemies, or bait groups of enemies into chokepoints
- fight dirty; backstab enemies, attack them from afar when they can't reach you, lure them or bait them into traps or off cliffs, use buffs and debuffs, etc. There's one boss in DaS1 you can kill by throwing poison grenades through the window of the boss arena without facing him (and you should because he is an absolute fucker); strive for that level of unfairness at all times.

So, if that sounds appealing to you, definitely check it out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

gohuskies posted:

one is a third-person game with hand-to-hand combat ripped off from the Arkham games

Technically the Arkham games have hand to hand combat ripped off from Assassin's Creed :kiddo: AC1 came out two years before Arkham Asylum!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Technically the Arkham games have hand to hand combat ripped off from Assassin's Creed :kiddo: AC1 came out two years before Arkham Asylum!

Combat definitely changed from old AC to new AC though, and Arkham was an intermediate step between the two.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AC started the whole counter-based combat thing, but Arkham took that and refined it into a whole seamless flow thing that feels really good and has you thinking about moving around, minimizing risk of getting hit, and also having gadgets to throw around. The later AC games reengineered things because they wanted the player to be less able to counterkill infinite amounts of guards.

I guess it's also worth mentioning Shadow of Mordor, which borrowed heavily from Assassin's Creed, only to add some magic stuff on top and also a whole procedural system for creating an orc hierarchy for you to slay and dominate.

sean10mm posted:

The Assassin's Creed series is all about putting lots of work into thoroughly researching and depicting a historical setting, to the point that it's really interesting just running around the world to learn some about that setting, although then when it comes time to actually run a story through that elaborate game world, the story is very hit and miss because the games tend to be very anxious about possibly making any commentary on history, and often lack a strong narrative.

Dark Souls is hard, but has a lot about it geared to teach you how to deal with the difficulty. The game even has mechanics to encourage communication between players to give you hints and even summon buddies to help you through bits. It's hard to fully describe, but the point is that while it demands you master its systems, it feels really rewarding when you actually do, and while dying may be discouraging at first, it's just a short turnaround to getting back into the fray and possibly recovering what you lost. It's worth at least a try.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

deep dish peat moss posted:

And Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time did that 4 years before AC1!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

After thoroughly enjoying The Case of the Golden Idol, I'm looking for some other games that require some actual deduction on the part of the player.

Other games I've already played that fit the bill would be Obra Dinn, Paradise Killer & Immortality.

Any other suggestions?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Lemon posted:

After thoroughly enjoying The Case of the Golden Idol, I'm looking for some other games that require some actual deduction on the part of the player.

Other games I've already played that fit the bill would be Obra Dinn, Paradise Killer & Immortality.

Any other suggestions?

You pretty much have the best ones covered. Her Story is by the same guy as Immortality, also worth a look. The second Barlow game, Telling Lies, is kinda eh, I'd skip it. I've heard people praise The Painscreek Killings, but I haven't tried it myself.
If you're willing to dip into other genres, Tunic is an amazing zelda-like where you have to figure out how to play it from a manual written in an alien language.
INFRA is a great and unique urban exploration game with environmental puzzles, but it's also a clonky Source Engine game. But there's nothing else like it.
Obstruction is an excellent Myst-like.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Heaven's Vault involves a good bit of deduction about linguistics and constructing an alien language from fragments, I can't remember if it has exactly the kind of Obra Dinn eureka moments you're looking for but it's along the right lines i think.

The newer Sherlock Holmes games are much more handholdy but you do sometimes have to make leaps of logic and it's possible to get entirely the wrong outcome/suspect and still "pass" the case which I enjoy, similar to Paradise Killer in that sense.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Heaven's Vault involves a good bit of deduction about linguistics and constructing an alien language from fragments, I can't remember if it has exactly the kind of Obra Dinn eureka moments you're looking for but it's along the right lines i think.

The newer Sherlock Holmes games are much more handholdy but you do sometimes have to make leaps of logic and it's possible to get entirely the wrong outcome/suspect and still "pass" the case which I enjoy, similar to Paradise Killer in that sense.

Came here to recommend Heaven's Vault. And it absolutely has moments like that; the one that sticks in my mind is the point where I understood enough of the ancient language to actually read the title screen and what it implied.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lemon posted:

Wait a second, is this just Obra Dinn but again? And not in any type of negative way? *wake up and palm slam onto Steam wishlist* gently caress yeah

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's a bit shorter and easier than Obra Dinn, but yeah, it's pretty great

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I had a vague interest in it and played it through last weekend because I didn't want it spoiled by watching Limmy stream it this week and figured it looked fun enough.

Then it turned out to be one of my favorite games of the year and I'm desperate for more lol

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I am looking for a game where you start out as some baby fantasy creature(a dragon, ideally), grow stronger and survive, then gradually uh, "tech up" and gain new options. Like, getting strong enough to subjugate other creatures, build your own base, assemble and equip an army, conquer the land...

I know this is similar to games like Mount and Blade, but I haven't seen any that involve the fantasy genre. Also I feel it should mostly be about your own personal power. Maybe similar to the overall structure of an Isekai novel?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 26, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like that's one of those things where there's all these manga with videogame-seeming aesthetics, but there's not really many videogames actually like those. Maybe there's some Japanese stuff that didn't make it over the ocean.

The game that most closely does that is Spore, but I remember a lot of people being disappointed with it, so I'm not sure what it's like, especially going to it nowadays. But it's basically you make a species and guide and evolve it up from a single-celled organism, onto land, into some kind of civilization, and then go on to do space stuff. There was a sequel, Darkspore, with more combat stuff and RPG mechanics, but it famously had DRM so bad that it can no longer be played. Then there's the game Maneater where you play as a shark going around an open world leveling up and getting upgrades in order to get revenge on the man who killed your mother. And the game Tokyo Jungle, that I still don't really know what was going on with, but you play as animals in an overgrown postapocalyptic Tokyo, breeding and eating and trying not to get eaten by other animals. Another game I don't really know much about but might fit the bill is Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, in which you play as a clan of proto-human primates steadily developing over 8 million years of you guiding their development. It's very weird.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

McFrugal posted:

I am looking for a game where you start out as some baby fantasy creature(a dragon, ideally), grow stronger and survive, then gradually uh, "tech up" and gain new options. Like, getting strong enough to subjugate other creatures, build your own base, assemble and equip an army, conquer the land...

I know this is similar to games like Mount and Blade, but I haven't seen any that involve the fantasy genre. Also I feel it should mostly be about your own personal power. Maybe similar to the overall structure of an Isekai novel?

Maybe Sands of Salazar or something else in the cultivation genre? But what you've described is pretty uncommon, unfortunately.

I'll also suggest Golden Treasure: The Great Green which is a CYOA / King of Dragon Pass-like where you play as a fantasy dragon. It gives you the first half--baby fantasy creature, growing stronger and surviving, "teching up" in the form of increased skills/abilities, but doesn't have base-building or army formation.

Finally, if you just want a really good Mount and Blade-like but are okay with sci-fi, Starsector is excellent. It's being actively developed but already has a ton of content, a thriving mod community, and is really quality all around.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Maybe Sands of Salazar or something else in the cultivation genre? But what you've described is pretty uncommon, unfortunately.

I'll also suggest Golden Treasure: The Great Green which is a CYOA / King of Dragon Pass-like where you play as a fantasy dragon. It gives you the first half--baby fantasy creature, growing stronger and surviving, "teching up" in the form of increased skills/abilities, but doesn't have base-building or army formation.

Finally, if you just want a really good Mount and Blade-like but are okay with sci-fi, Starsector is excellent. It's being actively developed but already has a ton of content, a thriving mod community, and is really quality all around.

Oh, Golden Treasure does look pretty cool, thanks!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

McFrugal posted:

Golden Treasure maybe? It was in one of the big Itch[.]io charity bundles, so you may own it already

https://dreaming-door.itch.io/gt1

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

McFrugal posted:

You're probably thinking of something a bit more monstrous, but maybe V Rising? There's also Shadows of Forbidden Gods, where you're a... Forbidden God, working behind the scenes to corrupt and brainwash people into bringing you back to life through unholy rituals. V Rising's in early access and kinda grindy, and the interface in Forbidden Gods is pretty clunky, but they fit the bill.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

You're probably thinking of something a bit more monstrous, but maybe V Rising?

How is this doing, by the way? When it released in EA it was characterized as the next Valheim but everyone went silent pretty quickly. Any good now?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vadun posted:

Golden Treasure maybe? It was in one of the big Itch[.]io charity bundles, so you may own it already

https://dreaming-door.itch.io/gt1

Cheers for mentioning this as I just lost a few hours to a game I didn't even know I owned. It's real good.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Alright ye ol' gamers - tis here go 'round I'm huntin for

Western Narrative Heavy - something with deep reading where I can be in character & dig / play around with my voice work - want to try my hand at something like a let's play & been falling in love with some western voices that keep coming back to me.

So probably what - top down turn based text / description heavy games I guess - not sure what else would have that.

Choose your own adventure CYOA game engine books could work.

Maybe hrm - I keep thinking of the few western TB CRPG games I know of but there's like zero to read for long stretches then not too much really (Hard West being one).

Any ideas guys?

Want to really dig into voice over work / let's play soon enough & this is my first play around with it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

spider wisdom posted:

any thoughts on this are appreciated:

elite dangerous :: [is to] mechwarrior 5
[as] rebel galaxy outlaw :: [is to] ???

(aiming for kinda modern, mech cockpit perspective, pseudo-freelancin’ rags-to-riches single player kinda deal)

tldr: what’s the closest good-production-levels freelancing/career-mode mech-piloting equivalent to rebel galaxy outlaw that isn’t mechwarrior 5?

this is what i get for trying to recreate those silly SAT analogies from like 20 years ago that i half-remember

looking at the main pillars of elite — the general levels of polish and overall fidelity, the free-wheeling & choose-your-path gameplay, attention to detail — and putting mechwarrior 5 career mode on that same level conceptually (ehh, mods make it kinda comparable)

then bringing that model into another situation: rebel galaxy outlaw, in the broadest sense, is quite like elite, but scaled down appropriately as you’d expect for an indie team, smaller budget, etc. but the game has a similar rags-to-riches loop happening, attention to detail, etc. so, a mini, or more focused, or what have you elite. what’s the closest mech-piloting equivalent to rebel galaxy outlaw?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Think you're out of luck there friend

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah if there are any let me know too, 'cos MW5 was such a keen disappointment

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

BrianRx posted:

How is this doing, by the way? When it released in EA it was characterized as the next Valheim but everyone went silent pretty quickly. Any good now?

I played the poo poo out of it for 3 weeks or so until we beat it, then never touched it after that. Good fun, would recommend for a small group of friends. We'll probably end up revisiting it in a year or so.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

spider wisdom posted:

tldr: what’s the closest good-production-levels freelancing/career-mode mech-piloting equivalent to rebel galaxy outlaw that isn’t mechwarrior 5?

this is what i get for trying to recreate those silly SAT analogies from like 20 years ago that i half-remember

looking at the main pillars of elite — the general levels of polish and overall fidelity, the free-wheeling & choose-your-path gameplay, attention to detail — and putting mechwarrior 5 career mode on that same level conceptually (ehh, mods make it kinda comparable)

then bringing that model into another situation: rebel galaxy outlaw, in the broadest sense, is quite like elite, but scaled down appropriately as you’d expect for an indie team, smaller budget, etc. but the game has a similar rags-to-riches loop happening, attention to detail, etc. so, a mini, or more focused, or what have you elite. what’s the closest mech-piloting equivalent to rebel galaxy outlaw?

Unfortunately there are only two very good modern Freelance Mercenary Company Management games and they're both top-down, turn-based strategy games (Battletech with mods, and Battle Brothers)

This is a pretty tangential rec but you might like Subnautica? It has everything you're looking for except combat, it even has a grappling hook mech that's very fun to pilot and a giant submarine with immersive diagetic controls :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 28, 2022

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Bognar posted:

I played the poo poo out of it for 3 weeks or so until we beat it, then never touched it after that. Good fun, would recommend for a small group of friends. We'll probably end up revisiting it in a year or so.

This was my experience as well. Played on the Goon private server and beat it. We got all the special columns. Had a few 100% Scholars. Then ran out of game. Going ham in the middle of a village is cool and eventually you learn how to turn into a bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
ahh… that’s about what i figured. been out of the loop for a bit, wanted to make sure i hadn’t missed anything. Battle Bros keeps getting recommended, though. :magemage:

i sunk a ~dozen hrs into Subnautica at launch and got distracted — probably worth revisiting nowadays. thanks all!