Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Discendo Vox posted:

His...tesla engineers...looking at the code...for twitter. Is that as absurd as it seems?

I'm completely clueless about Twitter coding and automotive engineering, but I have no idea what the reasoning for that could be. Even just brainstorming random things, I can't think of a reason for that to be necessary.

Or why his Tesla engineers going through Twitter code would literally be one of the first things to do as soon as he took over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I’m sure Tesla shareholders are happy Tesla engineers are now Twitter engineers!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Software engineers, presumably. Although I’m not sure I would trust the people responsible for autopilot on whether or not code is horrifying

Having his "computer guys take a look" is probably the most reasonable explanation because he doesn't many software engineers working for him who didn't work for Twitter previously.

Still, not sure what they need from Twitter code RIGHT AWAY for Tesla or that they would need to act on right then and there.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you're not horrified looking at a company's code you probably work for that company, just saying. Hell, I get plenty horrified at my own company's code

Any codebase more than a few years old is a tower resting precariously on mountains of technical debt

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Going to wake up tomorrow morning to hear that Twitter HQ drove down the street and ran over several children

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So is Twitter going to start making fart noises?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox posted:

His...tesla engineers...looking at the code...for twitter. Is that as absurd as it seems?

Upon seeing earlier in the tweet thread, this seems to be a hypothetical statement the tweet author has made up as another way Musk could try to get out of the arrangement, rather than something Musk actually said.

I hate twitter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

Upon seeing earlier in the tweet thread, this seems to be a hypothetical statement the tweet author has made up as another way Musk could try to get out of the arrangement, rather than something Musk actually said.

I hate twitter.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1585758460397821953

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I gotta say quitting over Elon taking an ownership stake is pretty funny, when plenty of the Twitter experience prior to this (and will be ongoing) was funded by the people who brought you 9/11 and the Kashoggi dismemberment.

It’s the spectacle that gets you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

I gotta say quitting over Elon taking an ownership stake is pretty funny, when plenty of the Twitter experience prior to this (and will be ongoing) was funded by the people who brought you 9/11 and the Kashoggi dismemberment.

They've been a publicly traded company for 10 years. They've been "funded" by everyone that owns stock since then.

The Saudis haven't had a private stake since 2011.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

When does the re-Trumpening of Twitter happen? Sure was a nice time without him for a while.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Youth Decay posted:

When does the re-Trumpening of Twitter happen? Sure was a nice time without him for a while.

this is a comedy forum, sir

I eagerly await his return

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Would advertising take a hit if he allows Trump back? That's really the only way don't see twitter instantly losing money, unless he is all in on having people pay for twitter.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The economy growing is a really good thing and my confidence in the Democrats not losing completely in the midterms has increased considerably.

Unless the media is going to frame this as “yeah the economy is growing but it’s still really bad and Biden is awful and cringe.”

Between the gas prices going down and the news covering that the economy is not contracting. I think it’s going to give enough confidence in a lot of people about the perceived future of the economy that will allow them to reprioritize abortion and all around anti-fascism.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 28, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They've been a publicly traded company for 10 years. They've been "funded" by everyone that owns stock since then.

The Saudis haven't had a private stake since 2011.

Is bin Talal al Saud not a Saudi? Saudi royal family who held about 5% of the total stock as recently as Musk making the offer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Absolutely the latter, which if we're particularly lucky

tell that to the LARGE number of folks who depended on that site to make a living.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

Is bin Talal al Saud not a Saudi? Saudi royal family who held about 5% of the total stock as recently as Musk making the offer.

Literally anyone can be a "funder" of a publicly traded company for $20. That is very different than actually running the site (as a private company with no obligation to anyone else no less) that Musk is doing now.

The Saudi Prince did actually have some influence in how the company was run when it was private and he had a large stake. He doesn't when he is a 4.8% minority shareholder.

Musk has full control and can do whatever he wants now, so it is a different situation that a publicly traded company being "funded" by someone.

Someone being upset by Musk running it has a different problem than when Musk was a large minority shareholder. If the Saudis actually owned Twitter entirely and were running it to their whims, then that would be the equivalent scenario.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A 4.8% shareholder gets their calls to the CEO returned and probably a board seat if they really want it. They are far from nobody to the company. But they get like a thousandth of the actual control a private owner gets.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

A 4.8% shareholder gets their calls to the CEO returned and probably a board seat if they really want it. They are far from nobody to the company. But they get like a thousandth of the actual control a private owner gets.

Right. I'm saying that the person who was upset about Musk taking over isn't a "hypocrite" because a Saudi had 4.8% of the stock. They are not remotely equivalent levels of control or impact.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Right. I'm saying that the person who was upset about Musk taking over isn't a "hypocrite" because a Saudi had 4.8% of the stock. They are not remotely equivalent levels of control or impact.

Is “hypocrite” in quotes because you’re inventing that part of my post?

The point is, and was, that when you are trapped in an exploitative economic system, you cannot change a drat thing by your own individual behavior. You can only take away things that may give you joy in a quixotic quest to feel better. That won’t get it done, though.

It’s like trying to quit smokes because you heard it was bad for the ozone layer.

selec fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 28, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

Is “hypocrite” in quotes because you’re inventing that part of my post?

Yeah, it was scare quotes. If I misread you, then I apologize. But, I thought that was what you were saying with this post:

selec posted:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a lot of dumb rich people, but he's definitely up there

I don't think he understands that you have to keep users on board to even have a chance to keep the company afloat, and that making major changes are just going to cause people to bail

Yeah, Twitter was already having an issue with high-profile, high-follower-count users leaving. When 10% of the Twitter population, but are responsible for 50% of the content, begin leaving, then it's going to hard for Twitter to keep the other 90%.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, Twitter was already having an issue with high-profile, high-follower-count users leaving. When 10% of the Twitter population, but are responsible for 50% of the content, begin leaving, then it's going to hard for Twitter to keep the other 90%.
It's one thing to get an inane thought from Shaq, he's Shaquille O'Neal. It's another thing entirely to get an inane thought from me.

But, I will step up to the challenge.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/benpershing/status/1585652221533982722

Not really much to the article, but there are some companies that will stop twitter adds if he gets his account back.

quote:

Mr. Musk said this spring that as owner of Twitter he would reinstate former President Donald Trump’s account, which the platform suspended indefinitely after linking Mr. Trump’s comments to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. That would be a red line for some brands, said Kieley Taylor, global head of partnerships at GroupM, a leading ad-buying agency that represents blue-chip brands.

About a dozen of GroupM’s clients, which own an array of well-known consumer brands, have told the agency to pause all their ads on Twitter if Mr. Trump’s account is reinstated, Ms. Taylor said. Others are in wait-and-see mode. Ms. Taylor said she expects to hear from many more clients if Mr. Trump’s account returns.

“That doesn’t mean that we won’t be entertaining lots of emails and phone calls as soon as a transaction goes through,” Ms. Taylor said. “I anticipate we’ll be busy.”

In a message to advertisers on Twitter on Thursday, Mr. Musk said he was buying the company to “have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner.” He said Twitter “cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences!” Mr. Musk said in addition to following laws, Twitter must be “warm and welcoming to all.”

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm completely clueless about Twitter coding and automotive engineering,

That's ok, Elon Musk is also just as clueless. Only difference is you at least know that you don't know.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah, it was scare quotes. If I misread you, then I apologize. But, I thought that was what you were saying with this post:

That's okay, I'm sure if they meant something different they'll clarify

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

selec posted:

Eh, no one is actually leaving over morals. The actual reason they will leave is because of user experience and not wanting the product. The assumption from everyone is that Elon will make the product worse.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tarezax posted:

If you're not horrified looking at a company's code you probably work for that company, just saying. Hell, I get plenty horrified at my own company's code

Any codebase more than a few years old is a tower resting precariously on mountains of technical debt

please stop talking about the forums this way

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, no one is actually leaving over morals. The actual reason they will leave is because of user experience and not wanting the product. The assumption from everyone is that Elon will make the product worse.

There will 100% be some users who will make a big show of clutching their pearls and announcing the closing of their account forever because of the bad orange man being allowed back on it.

Those same people will also quietly return a week later and pretend it never happened or offer some halfassed excuse about why they had to come back.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Isn't the Twitter deal financed by Tesla stock so basically the entire thing is a house of cards?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

There will 100% be some users who will make a big show of clutching their pearls and announcing the closing of their account forever because of the bad orange man being allowed back on it.

Those same people will also quietly return a week later and pretend it never happened or offer some halfassed excuse about why they had to come back.

If he does let Trump back on I think some advertisers will jump like they threatened. However they will only stay gone while it looks negative to be advertising on Twitter. If Musk, and this is a big if, can let the drama die down they will be back.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

please stop talking about the forums this way

someone troll musk into buying the forums.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The load-bearing slurs are comin’ back, baby!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Musk will treat Trump's fartweets as some kind of sideshow business. Wanna see what poo poo trump tweeted out? That'll be 3 bucks.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I wonder how the guy who tweets out Musk's plane flights is feeling. Probably somehow not going to be welcome in the "digital town square" now Elon is the mayor.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Madkal posted:

I wonder if Musk will treat Trump's fartweets as some kind of sideshow business. Wanna see what poo poo trump tweeted out? That'll be 3 bucks.

This might actually work, until Trump sues him for profiting off his name and likeness.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sounds like a disaster for Twitter staff and society in the long run, but probably not huge changes for the average user right away.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1585763155568754688

man if the engineers that wrote the code that keeps slamming autopilot users into trees thinks it's irresponsible to have twitters code in the wild it must be about to commit global genocide or something

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Again, it's absolutely nutty to think that this all happened because Musk was mad that his spacey elf girlfriend left him for a trans woman and the unfunny transphobic satire account he was following to cope with that got banned, so put Telsa on the roulette wheel in order to buy all of Twitter in order to personally turn the transphobia tap back on.

Like I said months ago, I hope Twitter and Elonk mutually destroy one another, and fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man if the engineers that wrote the code that keeps slamming autopilot users into trees thinks it's irresponsible to have twitters code in the wild it must be about to commit global genocide or something

I made the same mistake, the "quote" is a made up hypothetical from the author. A great encapsulation of how twitter's a medium practically designed for ruining information by removing context.