Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I chose the Lord of the Rings Two Towers GBA game over Metroid Fusion in an unsuccessful attempt to impress my dad. It was rated T for teen so I guess I thought it’d make me look more mature, luckily the game wasn’t completely awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Large Testicles posted:

yeah 9 yo me definitely chose strider cause that laser sword looks fuckin badass and mega man just has that lil bitch pistol

On the cover of the novelization by FX Nine, the gun was erased, so Mega Man is just holding his fist towards Quick Man. Not even pointing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
v

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I will never forgive my teen self for taking my original NES and 20+ games, including a gold cartridge LOZ, into Gamestop and trading it all away for a copy of Luigi's Mansion

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

It tells you in the manual

Yeah it's definitely one of those 'i could've done that??' moments that makes the game so good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rockos modern life cart is probably worth more today at least be ause of how ubiquitous super Metroid is

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I will never forgive my teen self for taking my original NES and 20+ games, including a gold cartridge LOZ, into Gamestop and trading it all away for a copy of Luigi's Mansion
Ouch. At least it wasn't for that year's ea sports games

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oxxidation posted:

building on this, there’s a boss fight that becomes a brick wall if you haven’t upgraded your nail by then. Quirrel will show up nearby to warn you away from it and recommend finding the smith, so if you have that chat with him you’ll know to look elsewhere

Wait, which boss is that?

I didn't conclude that something was amiss until Traitor Lord.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I was looking up strategies for a boss I was having trouble with, it listed different hp values on the wiki based on your nail level. So I honestly assumed they just scaled it to your current nail. It felt that way because there was one I couldn't beat, forgot about, got two upgrades, came back, and it seemed like it took just as long to get to the second phase.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Wait, which boss is that?

I didn't conclude that something was amiss until Traitor Lord.

The Mantis Lords. Quirrel shows up right before them and tries to warn you off from fighting them if you haven't upgraded your nail yet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Super-NintendoUser posted:

be 9 and make the choice:

vs

vs

I love rocko but like...cool space dragon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I never regretted my kid game choices but also i only played pokemon as a kid so like, it was basically cheating for getting games id play for 2000 hours

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

mandatory lesbian posted:

I never regretted my kid game choices but also i only played pokemon as a kid so like, it was basically cheating for getting games id play for 2000 hours

i was mostly a pc kid because my dad wouldn't buy us new systems because he thought everything should be backwards compatible or at least upgradable. i never had buyers regret with PC games because we had this place nearby that would rent out pc games. it had a copier right next to the register too so you could duplicate all the copy protection codes and they also sold floppies. when CDs came around they just started selling CD burners. i'm guessing that store didn't stay around too long after I moved away though with internet piracy becoming way bigger.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is the first time I've noticed that Kraid's belly and feet are on the box art for no reason. Is there a larger version of this that shows all of him?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the Super Famicom version of the box is taller but has a different drawing of Ridley. weird

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

Ouch. At least it wasn't for that year's ea sports games

Yeah, at least it was for a good game lol...and I still have it!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Have you guys ever just plum forgot you were playing a game?

I started Resident Evil Revelations 2 Raid mode a couple weeks ago and had a good time with it. Played it the next night too. Then life got a little busy.

Today it just dawned on me, "oh yeah! I was going to keep playing that game..."

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bleck posted:

The Mantis Lords.

Oof, yeah. That'd be rough.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is it normal to have two charges from the eshop? I bought the Kaiju Monster Rancher game and the dlc, and its showing up in posted and pending charges.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

sigher posted:

This is the first time I've noticed that Kraid's belly and feet are on the box art for no reason. Is there a larger version of this that shows all of him?

Based on the concept art (and assuming "Wikitroid" is about as complete as anywhere) doesn't look like there's more:
https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Kraid/Gallery?file=Super_Metroid_box_concept.png

Here's the closest to it for SM:
https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Kraid/Gallery?file=Super_Metroid_HQ_render_-_Kraid.png

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

I love rocko but like...cool space dragon

For real, I didn’t know what Metroid was when I was a kid but I would have picked Super Metroid here. Samus looks like a Power Ranger, that alone would have been enough for me. Then again I would have been choosing between these for a rental at Hollywood Video, and just come back next week to get the one I didn’t pick.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
NoA ran some pretty good television commercials for both Metroid II and Super Metroid. Between that, and Nintendo Power coverage you had to have some peripheral awareness of the series back then.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Anyone know if Bayonetta 3 is gonna be a midnight EST thing or a noon tomorrow thing?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nintendo-published games are all midnight releases

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Nintendo-published games are all midnight releases

nice, I've been practicing my bayonetta reflexes on 2 today so my fingers are ready

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Electromax posted:

Based on the concept art (and assuming "Wikitroid" is about as complete as anywhere) doesn't look like there's more:
https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Kraid/Gallery?file=Super_Metroid_box_concept.png

Here's the closest to it for SM:
https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Kraid/Gallery?file=Super_Metroid_HQ_render_-_Kraid.png

Oh that's awesome, but such a strange image composition.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Bayo 3 seems pretty great so far. Definitely some Astral Chain inspiration with the demon summoning, it’s a fun combo with Bayonetta’s moveset. Looks and runs great in handheld mode, at least the parts I’ve played.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Games fun.

The demons feel pretty sluggish on their own but you can summon them, start up an attack, and then immediately let go of the button and the summon won’t go away until they’re done with the attack while you can still move around and fight as Bayonetta. That feels like a more fun way to use them.

It feels really weird though that there aren’t separate hand/foot slots for weapons anymore.

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 28, 2022

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Bayo 3 is great, the demon summoning is a cool new addition to the combat. I'm excited to see where this game goes because I've already seen like 3 batshit setpieces that would be at the end of any other game and I'm like 2 hours in

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
being able to select a checkpoint within a chapter is gonna be so nice when I inevitably go for 100%

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
also the lo-fi hip hop on the stage select is nice

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/hellenataylor/status/1585851058047311873

after doubling down despite conflicting reports, former bayo voice actor is asking people to donate to these charities instead. Including a pro-life one. Incredible

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

after doubling down despite conflicting reports, former bayo voice actor is asking people to donate to these charities instead. Including a pro-life one. Incredible

lol

Anyways I played up to chapter 2 last night of Bayonetta 3 and it's awesome.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

She really is a witch :cheeky:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bayonetta would never be pro life

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I made a $60 donation to Nintendo/Platinum Games on her behalf and got a game out of the deal which is nice.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Does Bayo 3 still have enemies breaking out your combo or can you actually juggle stuff this time

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Snake Maze posted:

Bayo 3 seems pretty great so far. Definitely some Astral Chain inspiration with the demon summoning, it’s a fun combo with Bayonetta’s moveset. Looks and runs great in handheld mode, at least the parts I’ve played.

I got to chapter like 3 or 4 last night and it’s good. If I have any complaints so far it’s that 1) attacks feel harder to see and dodge because of the camera angles and the way enemies go transparent when you’re behind them and 2) weird goo monsters aren’t as cool as angels and demons

#1 I’ll probably just get used to though and #2 will probably resolve itself in later chapters I assume.

Gonna be playin a lot of bayo today

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

robot roll call posted:

I'm excited to see where this game goes because I've already seen like 3 batshit setpieces that would be at the end of any other game and I'm like 2 hours in

That's my favorite part of the series. They start the prologue with stuff that would be the climax of any other game, and generally go up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ragequit posted:

I made a $60 donation to Nintendo/Platinum Games on her behalf and got a game out of the deal which is nice.