Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

What tripped me up is that "cloned" is a really .... strong word, if you know what I mean? It's just a really unusual thing to say and so I think the contestants zeroed in on that, thinking it had something to do with genetics or biology even though "math" and "Cambridge" were the far more important hints. Mendel's peas were a really good guess.

Kinda reminds me of a clue a while back where it was a quote from MacArthur describing (the solution) Ghandi, so tons of people zeroed in on Americans or Filipinos assuming that MacArthur was way more important to the clue than he actually was.

EDIT: removing MIT from the clue probably would have helped too, it's another complete red herring that the group of American contestants probably wasted a lot of time thinking about first

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If you're familiar with how apples are propagated, "cloned" is really helpful, but I got it in my head that they meant Cambridge, MA, so I was never going to figure that out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

An apple tree was the only thing that made sense to me as an answer, but I was also trying to think if it was a flower whose petals obeyed the Fibonacci sequence or something like that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ninjahedgehog posted:

What tripped me up is that "cloned" is a really .... strong word, if you know what I mean? It's just a really unusual thing to say and so I think the contestants zeroed in on that, thinking it had something to do with genetics or biology even though "math" and "Cambridge" were the far more important hints. Mendel's peas were a really good guess.

Kinda reminds me of a clue a while back where it was a quote from MacArthur describing (the solution) Ghandi, so tons of people zeroed in on Americans or Filipinos assuming that MacArthur was way more important to the clue than he actually was.

EDIT: removing MIT from the clue probably would have helped too, it's another complete red herring that the group of American contestants probably wasted a lot of time thinking about first

My first thought was peas, but then I hit the Cambridge part and that didn't make sense anymore. I got it pretty quickly after that.....

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you're familiar with how apples are propagated, "cloned" is really helpful, but I got it in my head that they meant Cambridge, MA, so I was never going to figure that out.

...thanks to this clue.

I think the clue was fair but undoubtedly difficult. I would sell my left nut to finally receive the call and get that game with both an Astronomy category and a science final, that's as good as it gets for me.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I got the "cloned" part of the clue and immediately guessed sheep :)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It didn't really make sense to me given where Cambridge is, but I immediately went to bananas since I remembered reading that essentially every banana tree is a clone and that's why they're all super susceptible to getting wiped out by disease.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I got as far as "what is a plant that has to do with math or science" in my head so like, the answer wasn't a shock but I wouldn't have thought of that specifically in a million years. But I'm also pretty dumb and bad at Jeopardy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Andorra posted:

I got the "cloned" part of the clue and immediately guessed sheep :)

I thought of that too but didn't think it'd make sense with the clue.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

christmas boots posted:

It didn't really make sense to me given where Cambridge is, but I immediately went to bananas since I remembered reading that essentially every banana tree is a clone and that's why they're all super susceptible to getting wiped out by disease.

Same, but after deciding I was wrong, I still couldn't think of anything else. It didn't help that my roommate was yelling out every plant he could think of. Strangely not apple tree, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jeopardy-bosses-make-big-rule-change-decision/ar-AA138F2W

The extra cash for running categories is no longer happening.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Honestly I'm relieved just to not have to deal with it. Would it count as running a category if you went out of order? What if someone else rang in and you just got a rebound, is that still as impressive? Obviously they'd have had to hash that out and set the rules, but I'm just glad to not have to worry about it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Dear God what a terrible final wager from Jessica. She is so lucky.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
Unless I messed up the math, she had a runaway going into Final, yet could have potentially come in third.

Do they also get a reminder of everyone’s first day score, or is just for the audience? Even if they do, I can’t imagine how hard it would be to do the math under pressure.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LOL that Liz Truss was a correct response. They probably thought when writing that one that there was no way it'd be out of date by air time.

Good for Sadie. She seemed like she was about to lose it with nervousness in DJ but kept it together.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Geez, Rowan, leave some money for everybody else

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

CPColin posted:

Geez, Rowan, leave some money for everybody else

At least they're happy to be there. Unlike Sadie :hai:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So totally thrilled for Rowan. They’re a top-tier quizzed and have given me so much good advice on flash carding.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jeez Rowan is a machine and look like they're having a blast while doing so. Assuming no collapse today they should be a strong contender in the TOC.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Rowan is very impressive as a player but I find their vibe exceptionally grating. Taking up that much of the room's energy is probably a good strategy for throwing off one's opponents, I guess

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Rowan is very impressive as a player but I find their vibe exceptionally grating. Taking up that much of the room's energy is probably a good strategy for throwing off one's opponents, I guess

I love them as a contestant, but I feel like I wouldn't like them outside the game. I know at least 2 relentlessly bubbly people like that and I can only deal with them in small doses.

That said.......GO ROWAN! Except really GO AMY!!! once the TOC starts

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah Rowan is a fantastic player but the theater kid energy is off the charts.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Harry Privates posted:

Yeah Rowan is a fantastic player but the theater kid energy is off the charts.

gently caress that's exactly it. The two people I referred to are people I know from my pit orchestra days :aaaaa:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Except really GO AMY!!! once the TOC starts

Team Matt all the way

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
FWIW Rowan is acting the exact way they tell you to act in auditions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zakharov posted:

Doesn't make it any less obnoxious.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Team Sadie all the way. I'm still mad for her when she got screwed over that Final Jeopardy with her writing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

wa27 posted:

Team Matt all the way

gently caress it, Team Mattea

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm Team I Hope Everybody Has a Good Time :shobon:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I really respect Rowan's skill and the big gambles they're willing to take. I also think Rowan would be great at a party for a couple of hours, but not someone I'd like to work with. That said, I'm essentially Wednesday in Addams Family Values.

Rowan was snapping up the clues so quickly last night, I didn't even get a chance to think of a question in most of Double Jeopardy.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I like calling Matt Amodio "Matt Imodium," so I hope he stays in until the finals so I can annoy my wife with that as long as possible.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CPColin posted:

I'm Team I Hope Everybody Has a Good Time :shobon:

:same:

Some irl friends know Rowan and speak highly of them so I'm cool if they keep crushing!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

zakharov posted:

Then thank God the vast majority of players apparently ignore that advice.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I like calling Matt Amodio "Matt Imodium," so I hope he stays in until the finals so I can annoy my wife with that as long as possible.

I missed all of his episodes and for a long time thought everyone was talking about some mysterious "Madam Odio"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FrumpleOrz posted:

Team Sadie all the way. I'm still mad for her when she got screwed over that Final Jeopardy with her writing.

TBH this. I like most of the contestants and Rowan seems to be having a good time but this storyline is all about Sadie's revenge as far as I'm concerned.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What the gently caress was that final?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I missed all of his episodes and for a long time thought everyone was talking about some mysterious "Madam Odio"

This gave me a huge laugh, god drat. Madam Odio, amazing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The battle between Jonathan and Andrew was great.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Their nerves seemed so bad in yesterday's game. None of these people had an audience in their original appearance, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Their nerves seemed so bad in yesterday's game. None of these people had an audience in their original appearance, right?

Audience was made up of writers and staffers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I'd have to double check the math, but did Andrew bet on there being a triple stumper in final? It paid off. That was a fun match!