Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The poor knew their place back then. :colbert:

Underwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

well they would just all leave whenever they got a raw deal and go camping in the mountains until the rich bought them off so they'd come back. happened 5 times. stopped once they got a lot of colonies and became slavery state prime and the plebs became irrelevant if properly fed and distracted

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The poor knew their place back then. :colbert:

Listen gold coins are a limited resource. You can always make more poors.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

plebs became irrelevant if properly fed and distracted

As a pleb, this is a life goal of mine

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Thesaurus posted:

As a pleb, this is a life goal of mine

buddy;;

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Tired: general strike
Wired: secessio plebis

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
hell yes

lock. it. in.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f082fdc8beafa06

quote:

More than half of Australia's local government areas hit by natural disasters this year: emergency chief

The minister for emergency management, Murray Watt, has given an update to Senate estimates on the response to disasters in several states.

He says that in the time since he was appointed as minister, Australia has experienced devastating loss of life and the impacts of storms and floods. He acknowledges people in Victoria and NSW currently sitting in relief centres or cleaning up homes as rivers continue to rise.

In the past month alone, we have had 106 activations of commonwealth state disaster recovery funding arrangements – 43 in New South Wales, 17 in Tasmania, and 46 in Victoria, and that gives you some idea of the scale of the current disaster and of course, there’s been many more before that for the previous floods this year.
Watt says there are about 350 ADF personnel currently working Victoria and 150 in NSW.

The government will always step up and do the right thing standing with communities through the crisis and through recovery.
Australia’s first coordinator general for national emergency management, Brendan Moon, is also at the Senate estimates table. Moon gives a sobering update:

Since the start of this year, the nation has experienced 41 natural disaster events that have impacted over 280 local government areas. This constitutes more than half the local government areas of Australia. Our system is under pressure from consecutive concurrent natural disasters.
Moon says in recent years it seems like many communities “have been in a constant state of response and recovery”.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
wrong link

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Laterite posted:

hell yes

lock. it. in.

First couple days of rain here on Vancouver island and it is PISSIN'
It's good i know but i hate it

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

rain good
don't look a gift rain in the rain

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I love the rain. gently caress u sun

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s interesting we went three weeks of October without a drop and depending on how much falls in the next six hours we can potentially still be about average for the month

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s interesting we went three weeks of October without a drop and depending on how much falls in the next six hours we can potentially still be about average for the month

So much for global warming

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

oh is that over now?
that's a relief then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Helith posted:

oh is that over now?
that's a relief then
Yeah, you really need to check your email

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Pretty soon you'll be complaining about too much rain.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rollin up in my robust subtropical zone to the red light next to your temperate microclimate, laughing

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
stop the weather

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I would really like it if the PNW had a NORMAL SUMMER next year. I’m talkin highs in the low 80s, occasional spritz each month, partly cloudy half the time, yknow, NICE.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LibCrusher posted:

I would really like it if the PNW had a NORMAL SUMMER next year. I’m talkin highs in the low 80s, occasional spritz each month, partly cloudy half the time, yknow, NICE.

I too miss the summers of my youth back in the 90's

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

LibCrusher posted:

Why? What's wrong with picking fresh raspberries on Oct. 31?

Actually, what's wrong is that they're a bit watery after the rain we just had. Also the raspberry canes (and a lot of other plants) are pushing out fresh green shoots. These are going to get hammered by the first hard frost that comes along. Next spring could be interesting.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Behold, water
(second clip is a longer version of the first but without sound)
https://twitter.com/nampix/status/1587289465243910144
https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1587307217304563714

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
meg = megaliter?

so a tenth of a cubic kilometer of water lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

meg = megaliter?

so a tenth of a cubic kilometer of water lol

a cubic kilometer sounds like a lot of water

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

1 cubic kilometer would mean almost 1 centimeter of water across all of ohio

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

now do it for the Ohio River

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hifi posted:

1 cubic kilometer would mean almost 1 centimeter of water across all of ohio

1 centimeter isn't very much at all

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i thought 1 centimeter was average..this is very concerning

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

1 centimeter isn't very much at all

OK, what if we restrict it to Cleveland? How many feet of water can we put Cleveland under?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
One ohio sounds like too much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

OK, what if we restrict it to Cleveland? How many feet of water can we put Cleveland under?

cleveland is only 213 sq kilometers so thats a lot

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Real hurthling! posted:

cleveland is only 213 sq kilometers so thats a lot

Now I'm interested.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That amount of water could cover dozens of football fields to the depth of a school bus.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

well theres 100,000 centimeter-depth square kilometers in a cubic kilometer. and 100000/213 is like 470 so thats like what? 15.5 feet?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Definitely a metric gently caress-tonne, maybe even a metric arse-load.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hexigrammus posted:

Definitely a metric gently caress-tonne, maybe even a metric arse-load.

Glad they finally made some changes to make metric more like imperial

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

cat botherer posted:

That amount of water could cover dozens of football fields to the depth of a school bus.
What is this in SI Volkswagen Beetles?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Some reason this reminds me of this made for TV drama in the 1980s - Special Bulletin I think it was called. I forget the plot, but the gist was that there was a nuke on a barge in Charleston and they sent in the NEST team to diffuse it. Sort of this dire situation that required immediate, perfect coordinate effort in limited time to stave off a grave outcome. In the film they had a TV network running a live stream of the effort to diffuse the bomb and one of the team members fucks up under pressure and bolts leaving everyone immediately screwed and the nuke goes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Rip Testes posted:

Some reason this reminds me of this made for TV drama in the 1980s - Special Bulletin I think it was called. I forget the plot, but the gist was that there was a nuke on a barge in Charleston and they sent in the NEST team to diffuse it. Sort of this dire situation that required immediate, perfect coordinate effort in limited time to stave off a grave outcome. In the film they had a TV network running a live stream of the effort to diffuse the bomb and one of the team members fucks up under pressure and bolts leaving everyone immediately screwed and the nuke goes off.

Yeah this movie rules, y'all should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZQsVNZ3SE