Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Just save and reload the game and the Quinine will take effect.

Son of a bitch.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Hit 1936 :toot: Here are my lines, which I am pleased to report mostly went up

It's been a while since I've seen the end-of-game screen of a PDS game, my CK3 games always fizzled out after I met my goals a few generations in. Not sure if my GDP is higher than the rest of the world combined, but it's pretty close. I did not do that much map painting. I took Madagascar early, maybe 1845ish -- it's a very good way to get coal if you need that sort of thing -- then scrambled desultorily for Africa while beating up Russians and Danes. Late game I was more focused on getting specific base resources for my market, so I puppeted Japan and most of Indochina, and annexed Basra and Borneo to satisfy my lust for oil (also silk, gold, lead, sulfur and hardwood. Borneo: a good place to paint your color). Once my badboy started hitting 500+ I also had to do treaty port wars against Qing and friends so I could get around their embargos, in order keep buying cheap resources that I could sell back as furniture in order to not suffer economic collapse. I had a couple of equal-terms wars vs Britain and Germany, usually as a result of them piggybacking off Finland revolting which Finland annoyingly did every year for a decade like clockwork. Said wars were very expensive and got me nothing, do not recommend. I fought France once for some bits of Africa after France proper collapsed into revolt hell, which felt somewhat like taking candy from a baby.

Numbers generally got weird in the end game. Things like balance chart spikiness got increasingly worse as the game wore on. Note for instance how the hosed up religious political strength chart that does not include any of my Protestant majority and has Orthodoxy breaking the tables and heading off to Narnia. Also not sure why the end of game chart has weekly GDP when the game has yearly. Also also the Trade Unions really liked me at the end

It took until 1932ish and 90M pops for me to finally run out of peasants and unemployed people in my incorporated states up in the Baltics. I still had a few thousand unemployed over in unincorporated colonies where I didn't build any urban buildings since I couldn't tax them anyhow, but not very many and Europe was 100% industrialized. A side effect was that in the last decade all my industries had their profits dwindle to significantly less than the various mines that fed them. Most manufacturies ended the game at £30-£35ish productivity, after hitting £60-£80ish in mid game. Iron, sulfur and gold mines ended at £60, lead at £80 and oil at £110 ... which is about half of my top performing Trading Centers and their £220+ productivity. I was short on every resource not from a plantation, and had barely any Oil until I stole Basra and Borneo after which Oil was merely permanently at +60%. I also frequently had outright shortages of Hardwood, while playing as a Scandinavia that owned Borneo, most of the Congo, and a decent chunk of western Russia, with maxed out logging camps everywhere. The earth clearly needs more trees for me to chop down into furniture.

I was hoping to break 30 average Standard of Living, which I did not. 30 is certainly doable if you're a little more focused than my sprawling colonial empire. Amusingly, the enormous wages paid for resource jobs in the last few years of the game meant that the highest average standard of living in the world of 1936 could be found in the Scandinavian colonies, which were at 32-34 average SoL. Compare to 25-28 SoL for pops in the incorporated states back home. The Bornean machinists manning the massively profitable oil wells under Colonial Exploitation were as wealthy as the Jutland capitalist class (unless said capitalist worked at a lucky Trade Center). It may be that fully multicultural hypercapitalist colonial utopias where the invisible ham never strays are perhaps not entirely realistic.

[E:] Another fun number was my Investment Pool contribution, which ended the game at a little over £2M/tick. I literally did not have the mental energy to build things fast enough to spend all that money for the last 20-30 years of the game, the actual investment pool was just pegged at max. I suppose a more ~optimal~ player would've built even more construction industry -- I topped out at around 5K -- to build up more of their actual industry simultaneously in order to fully industrialize the country even earlier, but that requires knowing the game's economic model well enough to predict what end result you're going to get from simultaneously building several hundred interconnected buildings while still in the planning stages. I am not yet that coolnerdy. Also given my labor shortage in the last few years I'm not sure how much it would've really gotten me. In any case, capitalists under Laissez-Faire are very generous and kind people with the nation's best interests at heart.

Review: the game is quite fun if you like numbers and making them larger while looking at nice maps.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 28, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

when a general dies during a wartime it should give you an option to replace him instead of sending all the brigades back to the hq.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so how often you guys are expanding agricultural buildings

(I confused the bar with employment rather than cash reserves, so I probably I'm very behind in the reorganization of the land :buddy:)

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I know it's a pretty simple thing, but the game became a lot less of a pain when I found I could use my mouse's back button to go back a window. So if you're looking at the battle window and want to go to the front window after that battle ended, you can just back button to it instead of finagling your way through the ui to get back. It's handy in other spots too.

Xerophyte posted:

Hit 1936 :toot: Here are my lines, which I am pleased to report mostly went up-

What happened to you at that ~1890 mark to cause everything to go down a bit? I had a Mexico game where I left the British market and it was kind of a disaster trying to recover for a bit there, and it reflected nicely on the graph.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

dead gay comedy forums posted:

(I confused the bar with employment rather than cash reserves, so I probably I'm very behind in the reorganization of the land :buddy:)

You can set them to auto expand, but I usually do one or two every few years, keeping an eye on supply/demand

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i've been mostly neglecting agriculture buildings in the early game. they aren't necessary (as a recognized power) to feed your people for the most part, and without advanced production methods they don't enclose peasants off of the land very efficiently, since most of the displaced peasants will just work at the plantations instead. once you have irrigation and steam threshers and stuff like that you can do mass-builds of factories and then use plantations to displace the peasants into factory work

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

You can, hypothetically, not other than tweaking luxury prices if you pump enough fertilizer in. I finished a Japan run today that basically (realistically to OTL economic conditions outside the major cities?) eschewed enclosed farming altogether in favor of mass fertilizer application on the starting stock, always had cheap labor to churn the RGOs and factories without the labor-replacing methods, and that was happy enough because all the goods were also cheap because I didn't break out of autarkhy until well into tier 3 industrial tech; it had really potentially bad implications re: never reaching tier 5 because even in Tokyo over half the people were still illiterate, apolitical subsistence farmers but also sustained industry on a level with other GPs while producing a politics where weird pseudo-Jeffersonian trade unionists reigned supreme in a council republic while never demanding even socdem workplace reform.

(I would've gotten completely loving pasted if any of the AIs had looked beyond their borders for anything but desultory cut down efforts that were just convoy turkey shoots until they WPed out, but the US split, Germany and Italy catastrophically failed to launch to the point that the NGC just let all of West Germany go back to being petty principalities, Russia stayed at Qing levels of military tech, France and Austria had constant civil wars, and the Brits could always be relied on to never man Canada and to also WP when I strolled into Vancouver unopposed for the 8th time.)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So, uh, I'm an idiot. It turns out that automatically expand is just that, expand. If you want the AI to build railroads automatically for you, you have to build the first one manually. Same with expanding mines into new areas, expanding crops, etc. That explains so much.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

MuffinsAndPie posted:

What happened to you at that ~1890 mark to cause everything to go down a bit? I had a Mexico game where I left the British market and it was kind of a disaster trying to recover for a bit there, and it reflected nicely on the graph.

Based on population going up and everything else going less-up I believe that would be the war in which I took all of the Russian territory in the Baltics. More specifically the consequences of instantly accumulating 150 badboy. I lost most of my customs union "friends" and got embargoed by half of Europe. Taxes were raised and the national economy was shaky for a while until I, uh, secured alternative markets.

E:

I tried to avoid having them become too productive, keeping them around £25 or so. Agriculturals are cheap to build, and I figured it was to my benefit for most of those products to be cheap for SoL and better margins in the later industries, especially given how restrictive the non-plantation resources can be.

I found the game's profitability color on buildings to be a pretty good indicator on when to expand. If a building has a green productivity, then definitely build more of it. If a building has red productivity, then definitely avoid building more of it right now. If it has white productivity, you may or may not want more, depending on if there's something more immediately profitable to spend your Investment Pool on and depending on the state of the down-the-line dependencies. For instance, if you want cheap food for your pops then you probably need cheap fertilizer for your farms, which means that you probably need to accept that the chemical plants making fertilizer will not be that profitable. Power plants seem to never be that profitable because the input materials are costly, but because electricity is such a good multiplier on later products having a slim margin on electricity seems to me like it's a good trade. Etc.

In general, for a mature, built-up State that you're just looking to tweak I'd say to look at urban buildings first. If some urban manufactury looks nicely profitable and you have the peasants, expand it. If nothing urban looks profitable, build more base rural production until expanding urban production is profitable. Try to avoid spreading a specific building type over many states, economy of scale really adds up come mid game and specialization will be important for keeping your buildings profitable. 5 states with 10 Steel Mills do considerably worse than 1 state with 50 Steel Mills.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 28, 2022

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Dirk the Average posted:

So, uh, I'm an idiot. It turns out that automatically expand is just that, expand. If you want the AI to build railroads automatically for you, you have to build the first one manually. Same with expanding mines into new areas, expanding crops, etc. That explains so much.

Reminds me of a similar situation I had in Vicky2 where I was wondering why the capitalists in my Japan were not expanding their factories. Eventually I realized that the party in power allowed capitalists to build factories but not expand them. Classic Vicky2 moment.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

improved automation will build new buildings for you if they make sense

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

guess which law i just passed lol

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Can a revolution fight for a bundle of laws, or is it only ever one at a time?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

On my Hawaii start today I immediately began passing Universal Suffrage, which pissed off the leading IG. They started a revolution but had no troops so I just built one barracks and attacked them then waited for the war score to tick. They lost handily.

Also I guess you need to have a trade route to a country before you can join their market? Hawaii can't join anyone because they're not neighbors with any real powers. It might've been that I became England's protectorate though, I can't remember if the option to join their market was active at the same time.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Played a game as Brazil getting absolutely absurd numbers of immigrants from European colonies in Africa and native cultures from North America. It fit the theme of a multicultural Brazil embracing its African and Amerindian heritage, but its hard to imagine the circumstances and infrastructure that allow hundreds of thousands of Lacustrine Bantu to cross the Atlantic in 1870. Much less multiple groups doing that.

It’s nice that South America in general is way more interesting than in any other Paradox game. Both Brazil and Gran Colombia can be nearly independent in terms of input goods, but you have to work a bit to get there due to the starting political situations. The few things you can’t get the neighbors have and can be taken by diplomacy or force. The biggest challenge was bootstrapping fast enough to support all the immigrants I ended up with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm, I really do need Marx's help on this one

This is my food industry on Vacuum Canning.

With the addition of oil and iron, plus skilled machinists and engineers (who get paid 1.5x and 3x the wage of laborers) I make an additional 145 units of groceries. But Iron and Oil are the bottlenecks of my economy, and I need to reserve them for heavy industry. In addition, I have a huge reserve army of labor still... I should go back to jars I think

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
this game tastes like unsalted soda crackers.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Eldoop posted:

Playing as Japan and I overdeveloped Hokkaido a bit because I kind of forgot about labor (oops!), so now most of my buildings are struggling to employ pops. In theory this should get solved by migration, since the SoL in Hokkaido is higher than anywhere else in the country and I have both a greener grass campaign and a gold rush active in the state, but I'm getting straight up zero migration. I'm still isolationist so obviously nobody's coming in, but is there some reason none of my pops want to go to Hokkaido? The fact that it's at zero and not just very low makes me think it's just a bug, but I'm not sure. Infrastructure's okay everywhere at the moment.

So it turns out this was indeed caused by my closed borders law! Went and actually looked at the tooltip and there it is

It seems kind of odd that there's no distinction made between internal and external migration, maybe because "internal" is within markets and not countries? Regardless, glad to have it figured out and confirm that my game isn't busted

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm attempting to play as Cuba but you don't get a lot besides tobacco and good ports? I'm not sure how to get my independence but I assume it involves sucking up to France and the UK?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Playing as Sardinia-Piedmont and I'm having issues with unification. Seems like any time I even look at any of the Italian minors Austria gets right in my face (but annoyingly the Austrians whistled and looked the other way when the Two Sicilies declared war on Tuscany, not that it did them much good because they're now stuck in an eternal war because neither side will conduct a naval invasion). Meanwhile the Papal States are very nearly friendly enough to agree to a customs union but I can't quite seem to get the last 6 or so opinion points needed to tip them over into agreeing. I did manage to figure out how to use my coal and iron deposits to supercharge the economy to the point where my GDP is nearly a match for the Two Sicilies, but I'm not sure where to go from here - I don't think I can afford to create an army to match Austria, and I'm leery of owing France an obligation as I suspect that they'd force me to join their customs union and that would likely shatter my economy. Is my only option just to continue to build up my economy and wait for Austria to get distracted with a war elsewhere or something?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is there a way to view what pops are receiving welfare payments aside from randomly scrolling through pops and looking at their income sources?

In my Brazil game, I've had my welfare payments double over the last year despite my social security institution remaining steady, and apparently 30% of my lower strata are on welfare now when it had been 10% not too long ago. It's causing a pretty big budget issue, and I'd like to look at the pops that are on welfare so I can figure out what's causing this and address the root cause before I have to do something stupid like stop building factories or resort to austerity :ohdear:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Eldoop posted:

So it turns out this was indeed caused by my closed borders law! Went and actually looked at the tooltip and there it is

It seems kind of odd that there's no distinction made between internal and external migration, maybe because "internal" is within markets and not countries? Regardless, glad to have it figured out and confirm that my game isn't busted

this is definitely the sort of thing they just forgot to test lol

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Hot tip for anyone looking to colonize Africa before having malarial tech. If you plop down your colony just to have a space of land and declare war to annex one of the proper nations, you can take the whole chunk and much more easily start taking land without having to delete your colony once you get malarial tech.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

just got the communist manifesto and now lets see big karl himself leading the unions in sweden

(jesus christ how many lumber mills do I need?)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

In my Marina Kingdom (Madagascar) game it's 1905 I keep running up against convoy cap limits and have conquered Zanzibar and am eyeing of Somalia just to get more coastal states. It's a bit annoying as Madagascar has roughly twice the coast line of Ireland but only half the maritime infrastructure potential and has slightly more than one fifth the potential of the island of Britain despite being around the same size. It just gets ridiculous when you compare the port caps of Australia and Canada to their coastlines.

I suspect state-based infrastructure caps will be the new unidirectional trade routes of Victoria 3.

Paradox keeps using the mercator projection and it makes me mad. Africa and India and South America should look way bigger!!!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I think closed borders doing that makes a certain amount of sense for Japan which did in fact have extremely restrictive internal border controls, but even then like people found a way to bribe a bureaucrat or something for a passport so maybe it just slows down. or have another level that is "nobody gets out but you can move around" before the full "stay loving put"

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Pakled posted:

Is there a way to view what pops are receiving welfare payments aside from randomly scrolling through pops and looking at their income sources?

In my Brazil game, I've had my welfare payments double over the last year despite my social security institution remaining steady, and apparently 30% of my lower strata are on welfare now when it had been 10% not too long ago. It's causing a pretty big budget issue, and I'd like to look at the pops that are on welfare so I can figure out what's causing this and address the root cause before I have to do something stupid like stop building factories or resort to austerity :ohdear:

Did you adopt new production methods which were more labor-efficient? If you're substituting machines for men without anywhere for them to work, that might cause it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, I really do need Marx's help on this one

This is my food industry on Vacuum Canning.

With the addition of oil and iron, plus skilled machinists and engineers (who get paid 1.5x and 3x the wage of laborers) I make an additional 145 units of groceries. But Iron and Oil are the bottlenecks of my economy, and I need to reserve them for heavy industry. In addition, I have a huge reserve army of labor still... I should go back to jars I think

You don't need Marx, you need dril

Admiral Joeslop posted:

On my Hawaii start today I immediately began passing Universal Suffrage, which pissed off the leading IG. They started a revolution but had no troops so I just built one barracks and attacked them then waited for the war score to tick. They lost handily.

Also I guess you need to have a trade route to a country before you can join their market? Hawaii can't join anyone because they're not neighbors with any real powers. It might've been that I became England's protectorate though, I can't remember if the option to join their market was active at the same time.

Protectorates are sucked into the protectors market. The UK has a presence in Oceania so you can try to join their market though

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I'm running an anarchist commune, is there any reason not to have taxes on maximum? My lower and middle strata standards of living are way above their expectations, and since they can't invest surplus cash into the investment pool, it doesn't seem like there's any benefit to not just hoovering up as much as I can to build more stuff.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If I'm running an anarchist commune, is there any reason not to have taxes on maximum? My lower and middle strata standards of living are way above their expectations, and since they can't invest surplus cash into the investment pool, it doesn't seem like there's any benefit to not just hoovering up as much as I can to build more stuff.

I dunno how the math works out, but keep in mind that any money your pops have gets spent buying stuff for themselves which stimulates demand which drives the rest of the economy. Raising taxes could potentially see a drop in your consumer economy and GDP, even if the treasury is healthier.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You don't need Marx, you need dril

The wages of my laborers are too high thanks to my own laws lol, so even with expensive oil it's still cheaper. I mean the other thing that I could do is subsidize the food industry with my huge surpluses to pay the wages

I really am infinitely hungry for oil at this point, all my advanced industries (which are propping my prestige to #10) require so much oil... I'm importing all I can from the powers but it's not enough. The minor countries haven't developed their oil resources at all. I just used my third declared interest on Japan(!?) because they are one of the few countries to have oil for export

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

as japan i run with about 30 construction cap for the first decade at most.

Thanks for this whole post, I restarted again following your ideas and some of the other ones and... I still have no idea how the game works or what I'm doing, but my country seems to be functional instead of spiraling into collapse. Also this time Russia decided to gently caress off and mess with Kazakhs instead so I got the rest of Hokkaido and Sakhalin.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Paradox keeps using the mercator projection and it makes me mad. Africa and India and South America should look way bigger!!!
No it doesn't, it's much worse: It's not even a real projection, it's just stitched together maps. Look at the location of the Americas. At least a Mercator projection map would allow them to properly calculate distances.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jesus christ don't go hot stepping through industrialization because I just found out that I was completely dependent on Prussian tools and decided to do a dramatic quasi-Five Year Plan basic industry boosting to get rid of so much importation, which promptly turbofucked Sweden for a little more than a year

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

just got the communist manifesto and now lets see big karl himself leading the unions in sweden

(jesus christ how many lumber mills do I need?)

Import that poo poo from Russia.

Well I’ve made it further then ever with out a collapse. I just made whatever what in shortest supply until it was below 30%.

Except now nothing is in critical shortage and the planner tells me every building I make will lose me money. But it’s been telling me that for everything the entire game so who knows. Should I just pick something to go ham on for export? I was thinking about getting some explosives and maybe starting a munitions factory.

How does one form Scandinavia? Is it a journal event? So I have to start by conquering everyone around me?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No it doesn't, it's much worse: It's not even a real projection, it's just stitched together maps. Look at the location of the Americas. At least a Mercator projection map would allow them to properly calculate distances.

Supposedly it's a miller cylindrical projection. The Americas are in the correct position this time around, but the polar regions still look gigantic

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
i'm trying to get a war to end and i can't understand why it won't. egypt declared war on me as the ottomans, everyone's down to 0 war support, i propose a white peace and their numbers for acceptance are green and it says they'll probably accept it, and i don't even get feedback that they rejected it, it just times out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This game is practically made of paper cuts at this point. So many annoying small issues that I can't even pay attention to the bigger problems. Guess I'll be back for 1.01