Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

TVGM posted:

I did a 16x20 paint pour last night and I'm mostly happy with it. I maybe could've used a darker purple for some contrast:

I didn't realize I had a blue light filter on when I screenshot that. Here's a video where this looks much clearer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUaKWu65VY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

An oil painting I put the finishing touches on today, it rules

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Doctor Dogballs posted:

It does indeed!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Doctor Dogballs posted:

cosigned

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Y'all should join the goon art discord if you haven't already: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hi thread. The art front has been pretty quiet for me this year, largely from feeling stuck. But in the last month, the dam very suddenly burst open

Prints

And workshopping a new vibe with some paint markers

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

dupersaurus posted:

Hi thread. The art front has been pretty quiet for me this year, largely from feeling stuck. But in the last month, the dam very suddenly burst open

Prints

I like this birb

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

Prints

Love em so much.

2nd one is my favorite. That gradient you got is baller.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Stopped painting for a long time but finally started again.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
First live portrait session in two and a half years. Very rusty on proportions, but proud of my values.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Using a new set of alcohol markers.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Won some watercolor ground boards from ampersand. Weird and different to work with but I don't hate it.

Ill definitely gently caress with em more.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Made a new thing

Comes in blue and violet, too

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did this at a drink & paint type event.

Not bad, even though the crummy paint and brushes fought me the entire time

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did this at a drink & paint type event.

Not bad, even though the crummy paint and brushes fought me the entire time

You clearly drank enough, because that looks great!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Effective-Disorder posted:

You clearly drank enough, because that looks great!

The lady organizing it asked me and the gf if we were artists, and I was like "she's the art major, I just paint miniatures:gerty:"

edit:

vvvv thanks folks

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 28, 2022

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
It's always weird how that works, in terms of translating mediums, but it works? The composition is rad as hell, and you pulled it off.

(Edit: I love it when people do stuff outside of what they're used to. 3D 2D whatever D, if you can paint a miniature well, you can probably manage something cool on a flat surface. As demonstrated by the above.)

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 28, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm just starting to branch out from minis to trad art and it's very intimidating. There's a comfortable shield of excusing your perceived imposter syndrome under "they're just toys who cares."
With oil I feel like there's a higher bar. The safety net is gone, somewhat.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm just starting to branch out from minis to trad art and it's very intimidating. There's a comfortable shield of excusing your perceived imposter syndrome under "they're just toys who cares."
With oil I feel like there's a higher bar. The safety net is gone, somewhat.

If it makes you feel better you can think of it this way. You are never stuck with your choices with oil. Even in the worst case you can just scrape paint off with a palette knife or a razor(if dry) and paint over as many times as you need. Nothing needs to be permanent and in that way it's a very forgiving medium.

Oil is really fun though so I hope you enjoy it!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't painted anything that large in probably.....man I don't know, 15 years?

The entire time I was trying to use what I've learned, but being constrained to 2 hours kind of rushed me, but, in a good way?

The yellow was too transparent, but I didn't want to mix it with white because I didn't want it to be pastel (we had R/B/Y and W/B) and I didn't really feel like I had time to mix the paints with the tools I had, and the brushes were, they were really bad, and then I was unfamiliar with the paint itself, so changing its viscosity on a large scale was also unfamiliar. It looked like they just squirted a large amount on the palette, so it looked chunky, and the blue thinned out enough, but then I needed to cover a lot of ground and didn't want there to be too much obvious brush strokes. I also was going for purple and completely forgot I needed to lighten the mix I was doing to get that effect...:downs:, so I just went with that. the gold metallic I could not for the life of me, make it less "gloopy", it was so thick I just said gently caress it and started loading the brush up and dabbing it instead of stroking with it.

I was more familiar than the gf with acrylics (she was complaining the entire time wishing it was oil paints) and the entire time I was cursing under my breath "I wish I had my nice brushes and some of my paints at home, I could do this so much better with those" :hmmyes:

The person leading the event offered everyone some glitter spray to help seal it and make it glittery, but I think if I did that I'd mask the cat and moon off, then spray the sky exclusively. Maybe once it dries

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 28, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A ton of really great work on this page!

Those painting and wine events seem like they'd be really fun just to tool around at.

Fussing around with gouache tonight and feel like im getting more confidence with it

Re: oil painting: Took me a long time to realize I can just scrape poo poo off or just let poo poo dry and regesso a canvas to start over. Yeah the paint is more expensive and it takes longer to dry but at the end of the day, its ok. Also if you aren't loving poo poo up sometimes you probably aren't challenging yourself and learning.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Yeah, oil is super fun and probably my fav painting medium. That said, I haven't done too many but would like to do more. I had started painting in a studio at a local place with a group of people, but then covid hit and I don't have the area to really paint in my house. At least I got two paintings done out of it. One of these days I'll pick it back up.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 4, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

dupersaurus posted:

Prints

I love the new vibe. So full of personality with such minimal strokes:)

What painting markers you using ?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I love the new vibe. So full of personality with such minimal strokes:)

What painting markers you using ?

Posca, they're pretty nice. I was planning on turning them into blocks but there's not been any nibbles on them, though I like the gray one enough I might do it anyway

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I painted a frog

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I've been really into chalk/charcoal white on black card stock for a while now.

I think my brain just might be predisposed to light additive rather than the usual inverse, putting dark ink or otherwise on to white canvas.

Edit: Additional nonsense:

Getting into kinda half and half here, building on dark with light. (Also, some of these are studies of Ellison Hoover works, or are insprired by them.)

I'm open to suggestions on how to further explore this area of light-additive doodling. I've looked into getting into woodcuts and similar techniques. I suppose the next logical step might be oil paints possibly?

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 13, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Changed up my process a little and started using a brighter under painting and galkyd. It's made for some neat vibes.

Also hosed up and didn't put enough dryer in my orange so some of my leaves are gonna be wet for like month lol.

Also painted a whole bunch of water color postcards for the holidays and sent them out to folks as reminders that I care.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Those oils are so luminous :eyepop:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Neon Noodle posted:

Those oils are so luminous :eyepop:

Here's the start to finish. My process is to do a rough sketch with a tombo pen, let that dry - use yellow ochre with galkyd - let that dry over night then paint

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7182375947746823466

I was always a little skeptical about how much of a difference the under painting / basing a color makes but it really does some magic. And any place that i just for some reason skip over with paint at least has the yellow shining through.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 8, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

silicone thrills posted:

A ton of really great work on this page!

Those painting and wine events seem like they'd be really fun just to tool around at.

Fussing around with gouache tonight and feel like im getting more confidence with it

Re: oil painting: Took me a long time to realize I can just scrape poo poo off or just let poo poo dry and regesso a canvas to start over. Yeah the paint is more expensive and it takes longer to dry but at the end of the day, its ok. Also if you aren't loving poo poo up sometimes you probably aren't challenging yourself and learning.

My God this is so great and also that foreground log is perfection

The water and log, shore and shadows

Swoon

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Based on an old geological map

This was a lot of fun, I might do a few more locations

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

IkeTurner posted:

I've been really into chalk/charcoal white on black card stock for a while now.

I think my brain just might be predisposed to light additive rather than the usual inverse, putting dark ink or otherwise on to white canvas.

Edit: Additional nonsense:

Getting into kinda half and half here, building on dark with light. (Also, some of these are studies of Ellison Hoover works, or are insprired by them.)

I'm open to suggestions on how to further explore this area of light-additive doodling. I've looked into getting into woodcuts and similar techniques. I suppose the next logical step might be oil paints possibly?
These are great!

Have you tried water soluable pencils? Or inktense pencils? Not sure if the cardstock will hold water well but it doesn't take much water to move around the pencil graphite or inktense uh... ink.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

These are great!

Have you tried water soluable pencils? Or inktense pencils? Not sure if the cardstock will hold water well but it doesn't take much water to move around the pencil graphite or inktense uh... ink.

Thanks!

I have not, but I will take a look into that now. Pretty sure I even have some water soluble pencils around here somewhere I've never cracked open.

The only wet media I've doodled around with have been Copic alcohol-based markers. The card stock I've been using has a pretty good weight and tooth(?) for these pens. I've been slowly figuring out how to work with inks that mix and spread the very specific way alcohol Copic markers do.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I have a backlog of presents I meant to finish for friends like 2 years ago that are my current priority during my time off. One more down!

I REALLY need to loosen up; the realism takes WAY too long and isn’t as fun/cute as the digital mock-up. It’s probably a consequence of getting too frustrated with pieces, not picking up paints for months, then reinventing the wheel when I pick them up again and getting frustrated all over. I did have fun with the peonies!

Goal for 2023 is quantity, so the next 2 pet gift portraits are easier. :pray:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
It's So. drat. Good though.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's So. drat. Good though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crocobile posted:

I have a backlog of presents I meant to finish for friends like 2 years ago that are my current priority during my time off. One more down!

I REALLY need to loosen up; the realism takes WAY too long and isn’t as fun/cute as the digital mock-up. It’s probably a consequence of getting too frustrated with pieces, not picking up paints for months, then reinventing the wheel when I pick them up again and getting frustrated all over. I did have fun with the peonies!

Goal for 2023 is quantity, so the next 2 pet gift portraits are easier. :pray:

Really love it! fabulous idea and execution.

I feel you on the loosening up thing.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Beginning painting in oil for a while, and getting a bit into gouache so I can have something to take camping/hiking. I've noticed that the white is very hard to keep close to white, once I've pulled off a bit with a not perfectly clean brush it seems to be impossible to pull any light shades. I've been using zinc, would this be less of an issue with titanium or should I be using a dedicated white brush, palette area, and water for white? (wouldn't be too thrilled with the latter if I'm planning on having this as an easy ultraportable setup)

Lhet fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 9, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The gauche kit I have has white as the only pre-wetted color in a metal tube to avoid that very problem I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Lhet posted:

Beginning painting in oil for a while, and getting a bit into gouache so I can have something to take camping/hiking. I've noticed that the white is very hard to keep close to white, once I've pulled off a bit with a not perfectly clean brush it seems to be impossible to pull any light shades. I've been using zinc, would this be less of an issue with titanium or should I be using a dedicated white brush, palette area, and water for white? (wouldn't be too thrilled with the latter if I'm planning on having this as an easy ultraportable setup)

You might want to consider watercolors when on the road. But that is just you know, my opinion, man.