Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

AzureSkys posted:

I really appreciate Ed doing the Taskmaster podcast but oh man I wish there was some sort of production touch behind it since the audio levels are all over the place. My volume button gets quite a workout.

I just assumed Fern didn’t know or care enough to adjust her microphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Weird Taskmaster fact of the day: Alex Horne has set the "Flag Meal" task to 15 contestants, more than any other single task (edit: actually tied with "buy a gift for the taskmaster"). Yet it has not appeared on any of the international series of Taskmaster to date. I wonder if there's a language thing going on there; part of the fun is that the task pretends that "flag meal" is an instantly recognisable concept, rather than a daft Horne conceit. But I can see how perhaps showrunners in other countries might assume there's something in there that isn't translating correctly, a pun or a reference to other media that they're missing.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I will 100% admit as a Canadian that I thought that we were meant to recognize the concept of a flag meal during those tasks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alex says it like it's a thing, but it's basically on the level of his idea that knights are called "wet" instead of "sir".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Smooth Rupert was a good bit, and Greg scored it poorly.

https://twitter.com/bookoftm/status/1584031532888383489

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

john being asked "what's your definition of pleasure" and taking a big breath and single beat and reply "doing something well" got my loudest laugh of the season so far

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

eke out posted:

john being asked "what's your definition of pleasure" and taking a big breath and single beat and reply "doing something well" got my loudest laugh of the season so far

Same. I had to pause it for a minute to calm down. Perfect delivery.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

eke out posted:

lmao yes. i’m watching the ep now, and this task absolutely killed me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A perfect John episode. The series goes from strength to strength.

Beto Rocha
Jan 2, 2010
I died laughing at the live task, John is loving hilarious

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
John has hit the groove in the studio segments now. Fern is still loving weird.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey.

veeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The fake out when it looked like John was going to be potatoed was amazing

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was pretty sure Fern went wayyy over the line on a couple of attempts, but I guess it's fine as long as those carts didn't connect?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

I was pretty sure Fern went wayyy over the line on a couple of attempts, but I guess it's fine as long as those carts didn't connect?

I think so long as you let go of the cart before crossing the line it didn't matter if you actually crossed it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Boxturret posted:

The fake out when it looked like John was going to be potatoed was amazing

The fact that John was expecting it made that whole bit even better

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That was a very good John Kerns episode.

Is this show a successful Stockholm Syndrome experiment???

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I have people in my life who need me to give them a worm trumpet. Unfortunately there’s such a thing as a “trumpet worm” that’s ruining my google searches.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I think you could step over the line after you let go?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Crosspeice posted:

That was a very good John Kerns episode.

Is this show a successful Stockholm Syndrome experiment???

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

show good, depending

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That was an all timer. John was incredible all EP. Agreed on the pleasure line but him during the live task had me crying.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

fischtick posted:

I have people in my life who need me to give them a worm trumpet. Unfortunately there’s such a thing as a “trumpet worm” that’s ruining my google searches.

I was expecting an actual trumpet to make worm music with. The reality was better than expected.

‘Take any opportunity to abuse Alex’ seems to be a running theme for the women of Taskmaster. I love it.

Creature fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 28, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of the better subtle moments on Taskmaster: Fern suggesting John do the vital bit of the task and Dara just giving the slow blink while he's processing it :allears:

I wonder if you could have tied a long rope to a cart's handle, set it up behind the target cart all the way at the back, and pulled them into each other from behind the line. I also wonder if you could have linked up all the carts in the baggage claim to hit the target cart with the long cart snake.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

eke out posted:

Repeated captions throughout: "groans in displeasure"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My Lovely Horse posted:

One of the better subtle moments on Taskmaster: Fern suggesting John do the vital bit of the task and Dara just giving the slow blink while he's processing it :allears:

Tbf, it was probably better that Dara was guessing for their overall score.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
On the cart task I was wondering if attaching a bunch of carts to the target cart and then hitting anywhere on the train of carts you created would count. I think that's what I would have tried.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought it looked like Dara thought Fern was trying to sabotage them. When I'm betting she was just trying to make sure no one volunteered her for the job.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

What is the thing that John bought the streaker for? I think it's some English thing I have no way of knowing.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Phigs posted:

What is the thing that John bought the streaker for? I think it's some English thing I have no way of knowing.

It’s effectively a board game about football (soccer) that was extremely popular in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subbuteo?wprov=sfti1

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ah cool, and looking at how it's spelled I'd have never googled it.

The luggage trolley task said "starting behind the line". Nothing about staying behind the line. So IMO you could start running from behind the line and then just run the trolley into the target trolley. They did the whole John violating the rules fake out but I don't think he'd be wrong even if he did, so long as he started behind it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that prize task was judged wrong, because John Kearns as a professional funnyman, very obviously has a use for those tiny naked men, which he demonstrated.

The breakdown of points seems about like what I was expecting. Dara's way ahead, but Sarah Millican is still within striking range, and then the others are trailing behind, but I'm surprised Munya, Fern, and John are all pretty close instead of John being totally behind.

Phigs posted:

The luggage trolley task said "starting behind the line". Nothing about staying behind the line. So IMO you could start running from behind the line and then just run the trolley into the target trolley. They did the whole John violating the rules fake out but I don't think he'd be wrong even if he did, so long as he started behind it.

It seemed like John initiated it out of his own fears, but then they also did that outtake fakeout where they tried to determine whether Dara took off his flippers to get the grapes out of the fridge. Easy to see why it was cut, since there was no drama to it.

They're also still doing the interviews framed as tasks and "micro task" promos. I kinda feel like they should be awarded points for those even though they're not on the full show, and might have been filmed after the studio bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tmn_1M63-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofvZ6Ubyjk8

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What about doing a running start behind the line but jumping on the cart and trying to guide/propel it?

What I'm saying is I'm disappointed no one tried to game that one

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wonder if you could have tied a long rope to a cart's handle, set it up behind the target cart all the way at the back, and pulled them into each other from behind the line. I also wonder if you could have linked up all the carts in the baggage claim to hit the target cart with the long cart snake.

Iirc, one of the rules was that the carts were not allowed to be moved by the player after being launched so idk if that'd work.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Isn't it 'furthest hit target cart wins'? So put the cart at the line, hit it with another cart and just take the first cart and run with it for the remaining time.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Transcribing it from the episode:

quote:

Place one luggage trolley a certain distance away from the line.
Then, starting behind the line, strike that luggage trolley with another luggage trolley.
If you strike the first luggage trolley with another luggage trolley, you may move the first luggage trolley further away.
You may not move any unsuccessful luggage trolleys.
Furthest luggage trolley struck wins.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I felt like the wording in that task was weirdly ambiguous and suggested that you didn't actually have to hit the target trolley, it would could if you hit any previous attempts as well, but it seems like it didn't come up because everybody just went for the marked one.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think it's ambigous at all. It is too long, but All The Information's On The Task™

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the music task song sounds like a banger, is it played by Alex's horn section band??/ is it available anywhere to DL/whatever?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phigs posted:

So it does seem like you could potentially newton's cradle a line of carts as a way to guarantee getting a certain distance. The only issues being that the carts are squirrely so doing it mulitple times may get extremely hard. Set up time might also not be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Phigs posted:

It seemed like once you hit the cart the first time you could move it anywhere you wanted and call it a day. Munya basically did that when he just pulled the first cart halfway down the terminal after the first strike.