Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
As the whole climate / resources situation worsens, we're going to be able to afford either taking care of people or capitalism. The question is, how long will it take for enough people to realise that to do something about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
neither. the most important criteria for the next five years is national security, and China is rich in coal and poor in petrochemicals 富煤贫油少气

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

but it's apparently also an opinion that a certain country should be purged of the influence of nato and its associated bourgeois interests. By another noted worker's paradise. So :shrug:

That one is especially confusing, as Russia hasn't even formally been communist for a long time.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
there's a curious disaffection between the very online tankie zeitgeist and contemporary Chinese Dream discourse also - when the best the former can say about the latter is that it bashes the same enemies they don't like, rather than that it advances the goals they do like, it's very faint praise indeed

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ronya posted:

there's a curious disaffection between the very online tankie zeitgeist and contemporary Chinese Dream discourse also - when the best the former can say about the latter is that it bashes the same enemies they don't like, rather than that it advances the goals they do like, it's very faint praise indeed

I remember zeitgeist from D&D, wonder what ever happened to him.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ups_rail posted:

I remember zeitgeist from D&D, wonder what ever happened to him.

Polymorphed into a metaphorical concept, many such stories.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Zizek came out like 6 months ago with a statement along the lines of 'there's no possible interpretation of marxism that supports what Russia is doing in Ukraine, leftists should be against it totally' and it went over exactly as you would expect.

which is to say:

Strategic Tea posted:

But then you have to admit that there's a problem festering on the left, rather than:

- Well I've never met anyone like that
- There's no proof Comrade Zizek was ever left wing anyway
- No True Leftist would support oppression qed

E: tried to find it because I hate paraphrasing but 15 seconds of googling didn't turn it up, so have another comment from him on the subject 'Take Putin and his pack, who are in no way left-wing, but rather authoritarian conservative capitalists with fascist tendencies. It’s sad when someone pretending to be left is trying to “understand” Russia because what Putin does is a prime example of Russian fascism. His ideology is built on the fascist views of Ivan Ilyin and all those Dugins. There is nothing to be read between the lines here.'

full disclosure I know very little about zizek, I just saw all the meltdowns after he made statements opposing Russia's invasion

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 28, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Zizek came out like 6 months ago with a statement along the lines of 'there's no possibly interpretation of marxism that supports what Russia is doing in Ukraine, leftists should be against it totally' and it went over exactly as you would expect.

E: tried to find it because I hate paraphrasing but couldn't, so have another comment from him on the subject 'Take Putin and his pack, who are in no way left-wing, but rather authoritarian conservative capitalists with fascist tendencies. It’s sad when someone pretending to be left is trying to “understand” Russia because what Putin does is a prime example of Russian fascism. His ideology is built on the fascist views of Ivan Ilyin and all those Dugins. There is nothing to be read between the lines here.'

So just like the Ukraine thread I m honestly confused.

Putin is basically Czar 2.0 Xi is Mao 2.0 Which was really just emperor with a new title.

China's flavor of communism is window dressing for their power system.

Putin doesnt even have window dressing....

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Zizek came out like 6 months ago with a statement along the lines of 'there's no possible interpretation of marxism that supports what Russia is doing in Ukraine, leftists should be against it totally' and it went over exactly as you would expect.

Yeah now I feel bad, I just wanted to pick a recognisable name but actually my post reads like a hit on the guy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

which is to say:

E: tried to find it because I hate paraphrasing but 15 seconds of googling didn't turn it up, so have another comment from him on the subject 'Take Putin and his pack, who are in no way left-wing, but rather authoritarian conservative capitalists with fascist tendencies. It’s sad when someone pretending to be left is trying to “understand” Russia because what Putin does is a prime example of Russian fascism. His ideology is built on the fascist views of Ivan Ilyin and all those Dugins. There is nothing to be read between the lines here.'

full disclosure I know very little about zizek, I just saw all the meltdowns after he made statements opposing Russia's invasion

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah now I feel bad, I just wanted to pick a recognisable name but actually my post reads like a hit on the guy
Yeah no worries, not like I'm a fanboy or anything. I was just confused if I missed something about him:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/pacificsm-is-the-wrong-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Strategic Tea posted:

eh it's not unreasonable, both european and american left wing groups are going through a moment of reckoning over supporting this poo poo and imo deserve to have some scorn thrown their way for not drawing the line sooner, or at all in some cases.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ups_rail posted:

Putin is basically Czar 2.0 Xi is Mao 2.0 Which was really just emperor with a new title.

I see more difference between China and Russia.

Russia and Putin is pretty much as Zizek described in the quote.
But China... well, clearly the Party's first priority is their own power, but also they actually are developing the country and (most of) the people, they really are doing solid work against poverty, as opposed to Russia's simple looting and ruling.

Now obviously there's more to in than that - HK, Xinjiang lol - but I don't see the two countries as in any way equivalent.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Seems to me the american right is way more supportive than the left.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I saw a picture of zizek eating two hotdogs at once!! Now that's Ideology

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kharnifex posted:

I saw a picture of zizek eating two hotdogs at once!! Now that's Ideology
Number one, that's terror.

Number two, that's terror.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Mao is really the wrong comparison

Consider post-韬光养晦 China instead as Wilhelmine Germany having lost patience with Bismarck's restraint, seeking instead to establish itself as a world power in an already crowded and hostile neighbourhood

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i basically have to explain to people that russia is corruption without control, china has state sponsored corruption to further it's goals abroad and at home

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
a lot of tankies are convinced that the reporting on China's authoritarian ways is dressed up by the CIA for manufacturing consent from the West regarding attacking China

I've seen someone reject literally all reporting by American or European reporters as simply 'China Bad' and not to be trusted. So what, you're supposed to just...take the Chinese govt at face value?

WTF you'd never do that with the US govt, why the hell would you simp for another country's govt - because it's contrarian to believe them wholeheartedly? Because a Good Communist follows the party line? gently caress that man, that ain't leftist or revolutionary, just believing what the powerful tell you.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 28, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
zizek is a lacanian before he is a communist (altho he is a communist) and a slovene before he is a lacanian

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I've seen someone reject literally all reporting by American or European reporters as simply 'China Bad' and not to be trusted. So what, you're supposed to just...take the Chinese govt at face value?

They’ll usually helpfully include a Grayzone link to support whatever they’re babbling about, which is nice because at that point you know you’re talking to a potato and can stop wasting your time.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Atopian posted:

I see more difference between China and Russia.

Russia and Putin is pretty much as Zizek described in the quote.
But China... well, clearly the Party's first priority is their own power, but also they actually are developing the country and (most of) the people, they really are doing solid work against poverty, as opposed to Russia's simple looting and ruling.

Now obviously there's more to in than that - HK, Xinjiang lol - but I don't see the two countries as in any way equivalent.

I want to be clear here: if the Chinese Communist Party gave two shits about the people at large they wouldn’t crack down on dissenting speech so draconianly. They wouldn’t have suppressed Hong Kong. They wouldn’t censor any attempt at feminist criticism or anger. They wouldn’t be engaging in a goddamn genocide against the Uyghurs.

Whether or not widespread poverty exists in China is incidental to the goals of the CCP; they want to be powerful, comfortable, and in charge and that’s it

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Pooh's inner circle may be powerful, but just like Stalin's closest people they most certainly aren't comfortable

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So anygoons still living in the main land?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ups_rail posted:

A few, yes, but much reduced I believe.
I'm still haunting East China.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Darkest Auer posted:

Pooh's inner circle may be powerful, but just like Stalin's closest people they most certainly aren't comfortable

ngl for a second i thought i stepped into a derail about tails gets trolled, i had to double take the thread title

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ups_rail posted:

Yep. Been out here since 2019.

My Chinese is still poo poo.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Across the border in HK since COVID although allegedly I’ll be going north again if/when things open up.

Which will be fun, the current environment being what it is.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ups_rail posted:

Still here, getting cold up north now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ups_rail posted:

You see, Ukraine has a nazi problem. Nazis are fascists. 'When' Russia returns Ukraine into the gentle embrace of their Union, there will no longer be any fascists and the final result will be identical to the Soviet Union in all but name.

All it needs is the first step. That step being irridentism (read: revanchism).

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So it seems something happened in korea for halloween

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/29/asia/south-korea-halloween-cardiac-arrest-intl/index.html

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WTF. Cause of death unknown. "people fell". heart attacks and such, wtf is this article

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hearing from other sources it was a human crush.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

WTF. Cause of death unknown. "people fell". heart attacks and such, wtf is this article

It was an enormous stampede at Itaewon Halloween. South Korean media does like Japan and reports people as "in cardiac arrest" instead of saying they're dead until doctors declare it or whatever. Reports are it was horrific though. Body bags everywhere.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

ninjoatse.cx posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63440849

Don't watch the video if you're triggered by dense crowds.

quote:

More than 100 people have died in a crush among huge Halloween crowds in a popular nightlife area of South Korea's capital, officials say.

The death toll jumped from 59 to 120 in the last hour, with local media reporting a further 100 injured.

Videos from Seoul's Itaewon district show body bags on the streets, emergency workers performing CPR, and rescuers trying to pull people trapped beneath others.

It is not known what caused the crush.

There are rumors about what caused the crush (a popular one being some famous singer/actor was spotted a club nearby and people wanted to gawk), but basically: over 100k people came out to a smaller area for the parties, the streets are were already super packed, something spurned a rush through a backstreet/alley, and everyone in there got stuck. Heart attacks are common in crushing situations like this because of physical pressure doing something to the blood flow and also preventing the lungs from expanding/breathing properly, mixed with panic and elevated heart rate. Add in alcohol, too. Someone can probably explain it better, but getting crushed can definitely kill you even if it's for a very short period.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This article says 146 dead, hoooly poo poo :(

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/29/asia/south-korea-halloween-cardiac-arrest-intl/index.html

Some pretty :nms: poo poo visible here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYHYWlMjW0

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Someone saw a fan

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Jesus Christ. What a tragedy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just horrifying.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

It was an enormous stampede at Itaewon Halloween. South Korean media does like Japan and reports people as "in cardiac arrest" instead of saying they're dead until doctors declare it or whatever. Reports are it was horrific though. Body bags everywhere.
The BBC breaking news alert reporting mass heart attacks made it sound like someone had gassed a club. I’m not sure how that’s better than reporting the crush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I'm pretty concerned if this has any long-term implications tbh. People definitely gonna be mad for a loooooooong time.

I was supposed to finally visit Korea for the first time with my husband around Christmas and see the in-laws for literally the 2nd time in my life. His mom cryptically told us not to come a few weeks ago with the vibe of "stuff's not good here"

Pasketti fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 30, 2022