Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Wistful of Dollars posted:

someone troll musk into buying the forums.

If it puts astral in charge of the self driving software at Tesla, I’m for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

the_steve posted:

There will 100% be some users who will make a big show of clutching their pearls and announcing the closing of their account forever because of the bad orange man being allowed back on it.

Those same people will also quietly return a week later and pretend it never happened or offer some halfassed excuse about why they had to come back.

Yes, right after they all move back from Canada; the place where they fled in droves in Nov, 2016.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
imagine having ever owned a twitter account in the first place

hosed up, man

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I have never had a twitter account. Place sucks dude.

So one of the ballot measures we are voting for in this floridas midterms is a millage tax that will help pay for funding mental healthcare for schools. The unfortunate problem with these funds is they will also go to charter schools. I am kinda at a loss for what to do with this. I really think more mental healthcare is a must but I am absolutely angry that public funds are going into private hands in this way. Any other florida goons have any ideas?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe the FL Dems are saying to vote no on all three amendments

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sounds like the true leftist answer is to vote "Yes" then.

ManBoyChef posted:

I have never had a twitter account. Place sucks dude.

So one of the ballot measures we are voting for in this floridas midterms is a millage tax that will help pay for funding mental healthcare for schools. The unfortunate problem with these funds is they will also go to charter schools. I am kinda at a loss for what to do with this. I really think more mental healthcare is a must but I am absolutely angry that public funds are going into private hands in this way. Any other florida goons have any ideas?

Is that a local issue? According to Florida's website, these are the only three statewide ballot measures:

quote:

LRCA Amendment 1 Taxes Authorizes the state legislature to pass laws prohibiting flood resistance improvements made to a home from being taken into consideration when determining a property's assessed value for property tax purposes

LRCA Amendment 2 Direct democracy Abolishes the Florida Constitution Revision Commission

LRCA Amendment 3 Taxes Authorize the Florida State Legislature to provide an additional homestead property tax exemption on $50,000 of assessed value on property owned by certain public service workers including teachers, law enforcement officers, emergency medical personnel, active duty members of the military and Florida National Guard, and child welfare service employees

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Will this be a twitter renaissance, or is it going straight into the toilet?

In the long run, it's definitely heading for the toilet, but Musk is notoriously subject to changing his whole stance at a whim - as was demonstrated when he basically begged Twitter to sell to him, signed a binding contract with no path to back out, and suddenly decided he didn't want Twitter anymore.

So we don't know how quickly he'll come up with bad ideas, or how stubbornly he'll stick to them in the face of pushback. But that chaotic management style will inevitably drag Twitter down, even if he ends up backing down from the worst ideas.

His currently stated plans for Twitter are all dumb and bad, but there's no telling how fast he'll move to implement them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cr0y posted:

Isn't the Twitter deal financed by Tesla stock so basically the entire thing is a house of cards?

Don't forget that part of his ownership was the Saudi prince loaning his shares to Musk to achieve his buyout, so I can imagine there's some interest involved.

Everyone on Twitter's board knew what they were doing, they're going to make out like bandits fleecing Elon.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
twitter was always a toilet, its just some people did the work for us of picking out the few kernels of corn in it

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Whoa.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1585975982032556034?s=20&t=E0-ftSYU2i0SgtnN0UcbAQ

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

News just broke someone broke into Pelosi’s house in SF and beat the poo poo out of her husband so much he needed to go to the hospital

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pretty wild.

Apparently, it wasn't an attempted robbery gone wrong or anything like that.

Motive currently unknown.

He's apparently severely injured, but nothing permanent and expected to eventually make a full recovery. Still probably not great for an almost 83-year old to get beat so much he requires multiple days of hospitalization, though.

If they were going after Nancy, they did a bad job researching. They found out her address, but didn't realize she was in Washington D.C.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1585978234876870658

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pretty wild.

He's apparently severely injured, but nothing permanent and expected to eventually make a full recovery. Still probably not great for an almost 83-year old to get beat so much he requires multiple days of hospitalization, though.

If they were going after Nancy, they did a bad job researching. They found out her address, but didn't realize she was in Washington D.C.

With the decades of stuff he has been involved in privately it's possible this wasn't tied to Nancy at all.

Sounds like a disaster for Twitter staff and society in the long run, but probably not huge changes for the average user right away.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1585763155568754688

Worth noting that Vijaya mentioned here was fired like an hour or two later. Apparently Elon didn't like what he heard in this convo despite this revenue VP trying to stay upbeat. Morale at Twitter HQ must be pretty precarious right now; can't imagine it won't tank completely in the coming weeks.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

FlamingLiberal posted:

I did. They all looked horrible.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Sounds like the true leftist answer is to vote "Yes" then.

Is that a local issue? According to Florida's website, these are the only three statewide ballot measures:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/10/21/results-2022-lake-county-voters-to-decide-on-school-safety-tax-measure/

This is it, but the verbage on the actual ballot states that a proportionate share shall go to charter schools. I am completely against privatizing our education system. It leads to bad outcomes for poor people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ManBoyChef posted:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/10/21/results-2022-lake-county-voters-to-decide-on-school-safety-tax-measure/

This is it, but the verbage on the actual ballot states that a proportionate share shall go to charter schools. I am completely against privatizing our education system. It leads to bad outcomes for poor people.

Okay, it is a local issue. Yeah, there are quite a few places with public charter schools, where the purpose is to just make it so that your school quality is not determined by your zip code and fund schools evenly. Or, some rarer instances where they are charter schools because they have a specific curriculum, like being a Spanish-immersion school or trade/tech high school.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that Lake County charter schools in Florida are not a publicly-run racial equity/integration project that gets funding from the state to make up for low local property taxes.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

News just broke someone broke into Pelosi’s house in SF and beat the poo poo out of her husband so much he needed to go to the hospital

Rand Paul's neighbor again?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cr0y posted:

Isn't the Twitter deal financed by Tesla stock so basically the entire thing is a house of cards?

Not really. Elon is selling 30b of Tesla stock but the (public) margin loan against his Tesla stock got taken out of the deal.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pretty wild.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1585978234876870658

People get pretty heated about drunk driving.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

Worth noting that Vijaya mentioned here was fired like an hour or two later. Apparently Elon didn't like what he heard in this convo despite this revenue VP trying to stay upbeat. Morale at Twitter HQ must be pretty precarious right now; can't imagine it won't tank completely in the coming weeks.

None of the top twitter execs are going to survive, because they very personally embarrassed Elon and cost him tens of billions of dollars. Of course, they all had twitter stock cashed out at 54.20 and they don't want to work for musk so really there's not much downside.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If I could get fired but walk away with 10's of millions of dollars, sign me up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

davecrazy posted:

If I could get fired but walk away with 10's of millions of dollars, sign me up.

Pretty much. Why do you think Twitter fought so hard to make sure he couldn't back out of the deal?

Elon is pretty dumb. He got very mad that some kid was posting his flight plans online and Twitter wouldn't shut it down, so his trolling/attention-seeking instincts kicked in and he offered to buy the company for about 27% more than it was worth. He apparently thought he could just say "psyche!," walk away, and they would just be annoyed with him, but want to keep their company, so they would leave him alone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

skylined! posted:

With the decades of stuff he has been involved in privately it's possible this wasn't tied to Nancy at all.

I reckon it'll tank for a few weeks/months while Elon makes his "improvements."
The whole reason he bought it in the first place was just to soothe his ego and punish people who were making fun of him and unban some of his friends.
The business decisions are just him swinging his dick around to prove to himself that he's a big brain genius, but eventually he'll get bored and wander off and leave it to be handled by someone who can at least salvage it and patch enough holes for it to try to recover.

Twitter itself has enough cultural inertia that it isn't going to be replaced by anything anytime soon, so that gives them time.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

None of the top twitter execs are going to survive, because they very personally embarrassed Elon and cost him tens of billions of dollars. Of course, they all had twitter stock cashed out at 54.20 and they don't want to work for musk so really there's not much downside.

Not to mention the golden parachutes.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Most of the charter schools around here are basically so people can make money on education. The standards suck too. It is also so they can just fire teachers without recourse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ManBoyChef posted:

Most of the charter schools around here are basically so people can make money on education. The standards suck too. It is also so they can just fire teachers without recourse.

Yeah, that is just 98% of private charter schools in general. I was joking that Florida, of all places, would have a network of public charter schools devoted to racial and funding equity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah, that is just 98% of private charter schools in general. I was joking that Florida, of all places, would have a network of public charter schools devoted to racial and funding equity.
In all seriousness, my tax dollars down here fund religious charters that expel gay kids

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They confirmed that the guy who beat Paul Pelosi was looking for Nancy and used a large 2-handed hammer.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1586024100954537985

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I wonder when we'll start seeing convictions against right-wing political terrorists start getting held up by the courts.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

They confirmed that the guy who beat Paul Pelosi was looking for Nancy and used a large 2-handed hammer.

I would have thought that the Speaker and her immediate family was under Secret Service protection, is this not actually the case here?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

I would have thought that the Speaker and her immediate family was under Secret Service protection, is this not actually the case here?

Not their wheelhouse

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

According to the Post, the Speaker gets Capitol Police protection but not family.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

I thought so too, but it turns out the Secret Service only protects the president, VP, immediate successor to the president if there is no VP, their immediate families, former president and VPs plus spouses and minor children, candidates for those offices, and sufficiently important foreign dignitaries. The President can also deploy them to protect other government officers abroad as situations warrant.

I would have expected Congressional leaders to have private security, though, especially in 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

I thought so too, but it turns out the Secret Service only protects the president, VP, immediate successor to the president if there is no VP, their immediate families, former president and VPs plus spouses and minor children, candidates for those offices, and sufficiently important foreign dignitaries. The President can also deploy them to protect other government officers abroad as situations warrant.

I would have expected Congressional leaders to have private security, though, especially in 2022

Even if Pelosi did have security herself, she wasn't actually there when it happened and Paul Pelosi was alone in their house.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He was just a big fan of Nancy Pelosi and, conveniently, Misery.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Wonder if she still thinks we just need a stronger Republican Party

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Having flashbacks to a very agitated and disheveled tweaker on the BART engaging me in political conversation and ranting about Nancy Pelosi.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

jesus christ, hammer against 82 year old is attempted murder. Honestly shocked he survived.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

FishBulbia posted:

jesus christ, hammer against 82 year old is attempted murder. Honestly shocked he survived.

I mean he was probably trying to murder the equally-old Speaker of the House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I mean he was probably trying to murder the equally-old Speaker of the House

ANYONE getting beaten by a goddamn hammer is attempted murder, guys. Old people may be more frail and bruise easily but its not like your average 20 year old has bones that can stand up to steel.