Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Just a Moron posted:

The occasional reawareness that I can't remember the last time I had bugs on my windshield genuinely gives me the oddest buzzing sensation around the back of my head.

Maybe they're all hiding back there?
i did a 16 hour road trip this summer, and had 2 big bug splats on my windshield in the first half, and one in the second. the first night we stopped at a gas station at 2am in the middle of nowhere, it was the only brightly lit area for half a mile, and i commented on the lack of bugs. then my wife started looking and found two little green bugs bouncing on the top of the car.

a few months later that area was burned in a wildfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lmao gently caress talk about whiplash

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

err posted:

Seems to be several people/news orgs pushing copium at the same time:

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1585421602967232519?t=vsGKEvKRoST2u54wG5iSYA&s=19

quote:

In a news release accompanying its report, the United Nations predicted that a world more than two degrees warmer would lead to “endless suffering.”

later...

quote:

This is what now counts as progress.

useless article gushing over 2-3 degrees of warming being an achievement to be marveled upon as pakistan drowns.

worst of all just not really informative or interesting to read

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i wish someone would do something!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

jetz0r posted:

i did a 16 hour road trip this summer, and had 2 big bug splats on my windshield in the first half, and one in the second. the first night we stopped at a gas station at 2am in the middle of nowhere, it was the only brightly lit area for half a mile, and i commented on the lack of bugs. then my wife started looking and found two little green bugs bouncing on the top of the car.

The only bugs future humans will see will be served in slurry in our pods.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

im drinking as much bottled water as i can

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Stereotype posted:

they probably just evolved to stay out of the road

:unsmith:

jetz0r posted:

:smith:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Troublingly mild

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxxum5ungsA

Ostensibly about nuclear holocaust but I think it fits the vibe

What do you expect us to eat when the bugs fail?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

CODChimera posted:

im drinking as much bottled water as i can

im drinking as much as i can

so I'll just die outright when that becomes impossible

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

FFT posted:

im drinking as much as i can

so I'll just die outright when that becomes impossible

The ofacial thread position is that you should not kill yourself

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"The world is about to end. I'll live my life like there is no tomorrow!"

(forty years later)

"gently caress its still here and now everyone thinks I'm a hippy."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I always liked both the book and movie of Stark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0lngWk8ow

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Just a Moron posted:

its gonna be so funny when everyone is just like yeah give up its over

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

CODChimera posted:

*Nasal country voice*

I'm aaaaaalready there

Take a look around

I'm the carbon in the air

I'm the ashes on the ground

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

[Biosphere Collapse] It's fine. I always give up.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that's my secret, Cap. i'm always giving up.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1585888037095067649?s=20&t=mOK192G-4xzxjakpf-8zmw

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Enjoy yourself

Take only what you need from it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

starkebn posted:

5 years ago: 1.5c of warming would be a catastrophe!

now: 2c of warming is baked in. Don't despair!

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, you can absolutely see how we ran through a ton of messaging strategies until "actually, you should just stop caring that everyone is dying" turned out to be the one to stick. Now we're going to smash that out on the climate front. It would've taken years or decades to reach that point with climate messaging if COVID hadn't shown us the way.

Stereotype posted:

you're only allowed to care if you personally have died, otherwise how do you know that the dead person didn't deserve it?

CODChimera posted:

didnt we already know this

Car Hater posted:

Dying with climate change etc

biceps crimes posted:

Just a Moron posted:

CODChimera posted:

Car Hater posted:

*Nasal country voice*

I'm aaaaaalready there

Take a look around

I'm the carbon in the air

I'm the ashes on the ground

Chris James 2 posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] It's fine. I always give up.

Cold on a Cob posted:

that's my secret, Cap. i'm always giving up.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Enjoy yourself

Take only what you need from it

https://guymcpherson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Planetary-Hospice.pdf

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
may have already been seen but lol, lmao

https://www.businessinsider.com/great-labor-shortage-looming-population-decline-disaster-global-economy-2022-10

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the man is right

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Paywalled, alas.

The early modern age came about in no small part because of the Black Death creating conditions for surviving laborers to have greater power to renegotiate the social contract to this will work out quite well for those left alive in climate resettlement zones, I'm sure.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Bargaining. Because of the lag time associated with climate change, by the time humans fully appreciate the gravity of the situation, it will already be too late to avoid grievous consequences. However, it is inevitable that we will then do everything we should have been doing all along to reverse the process, especially given our unreasonable faith in technological fixes. And because of the incomprehensibility of the prospects, again it seems inevitable that a large part of the population will progress to yet another type of denial and repression. What one might anticipate with this level of frantic bargaining going on at the societal level in the midst of unprecedented ecological breakdown is an increasing incidence of dissociative disorders in the general populace. Dissociation from one’s personal identity is thought to be a mechanism for coping through psychological disconnection from situations or experiences that are simply too traumatic to integrate into our sense of who we are.24 Depersonalization disorders (feelings of detachment from one's own experience, body, or self) and selective amnesia (characterized by memory loss of a specific category of information) might be two kinds of dissociation that are logical responses to the shock of realizing on some conscious level that the planet is becoming unlivable, especially as iconic species like polar bears, penguins, whales, elephants, songbirds, and tigers blink out of existence.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

best get fuckin so we can get some new batches of people who never even heard of a stupidass polar bear

they will understand the true gift of the earth: sterile dust

beautiful, endless, dead-rear end sterile dust

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Paywalled, alas.

The early modern age came about in no small part because of the Black Death creating conditions for surviving laborers to have greater power to renegotiate the social contract to this will work out quite well for those left alive in climate resettlement zones, I'm sure.

https://archive.ph/YrYpB

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in 40 years the population may shrink...umm about that timescale, guys

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

in 40 years the population may shrink...umm about that timescale, guys

oh no they're not wrong the population will almost certainly be shrinking in 40 years

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the population will be shrinking in multiple ways, too! Think about the long-term impacts of childhood malnutrition on physical size! the population will certainly be shrinking 40 years from now

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Bargaining. Because of the lag time associated with climate change, by the time humans fully appreciate the gravity of the situation, it will already be too late to avoid grievous consequences. However, it is inevitable that we will then do everything we should have been doing all along to reverse the process, especially given our unreasonable faith in technological fixes. And because of the incomprehensibility of the prospects, again it seems inevitable that a large part of the population will progress to yet another type of denial and repression. What one might anticipate with this level of frantic bargaining going on at the societal level in the midst of unprecedented ecological breakdown is an increasing incidence of dissociative disorders in the general populace. Dissociation from one’s personal identity is thought to be a mechanism for coping through psychological disconnection from situations or experiences that are simply too traumatic to integrate into our sense of who we are.24 Depersonalization disorders (feelings of detachment from one's own experience, body, or self) and selective amnesia (characterized by memory loss of a specific category of information) might be two kinds of dissociation that are logical responses to the shock of realizing on some conscious level that the planet is becoming unlivable, especially as iconic species like polar bears, penguins, whales, elephants, songbirds, and tigers blink out of existence.

Selective amnesia will at least be facilitated by widespread and repeated COVID infections!

quote:

Unfortunately, it seems all too predictable that a freedom-loving, gun-toting, substance-
abusing, individualist country like America will approach the end of life as we know it with a fair
amount of anti-social pathology, transposing the breakdown of our life support system into a
breakdown in the social order, with many responding to the existential threat with paranoia and
hostility, deciding it’s “every man for himself” or, alternatively, seeking security in like-minded
militias and religious cults.

This is happening anyway without broad understanding or acknowledgement of climate change, so we're ahead of the curve.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

oh no they're not wrong the population will almost certainly be shrinking in 40 years

You can't shrink from zero

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Chad Sexington posted:

Selective amnesia will at least be facilitated by widespread and repeated COVID infections!

This is happening anyway without broad understanding or acknowledgement of climate change, so we're ahead of the curve.

Suppressed/repressed knowledge of biosphere death, a la no bugs on windshield which is most routinely subconsciously known/processed, doesn't require understanding or even acknowledgement.

American individualism is its own brand of toxic rot but it doesn't go into the roots as deeply as McPherson or a lot of CSPAMMERs think. People rely on their neighbors quite a lot; hostility and violence is the purview and caustic outgrowth of actions by the State against its people.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol 98% of bugs seems....like thats it folks right?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I thought Al Gore saved us with his awe inspiring documentary in the early 2000's? What happened??

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
But really what a stupid time to be alive. Didn't think I still have any despair left in me but nope this sucks and I hate it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

98% only in some places i think

but yes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

no those things are really low on the food chain I only eat things higher on the food chain like cows and chickens so I'm fine

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I mean if farmers don't have to use pesticides then the price of food will go down, right??