Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

So I've been running a game for my two buds for a bit. They've hit level six and have been exploring a super old ruin embedded into a mountain. I want to give the Artificer something neat and unique as an item since the ranger got a sweet sword randomly.

He's a Battle Smith with a Steel Defender and seems to really like his robo-friend and my idea was some kind of ancient mechanical module that could plug into the Defender and give it a new ability, problem is I'm not sure what would be fun but not out of control. My first idea was having it sprout a lightning gun that would let it use Force-Empowered Rend at range but that seems a little weak? I'd love any ideas from the thread because I'm a bit stuck.

Give it a feat like Charger, Mobile or Sentinel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

He's a Battle Smith with a Steel Defender and seems to really like his robo-friend and my idea was some kind of ancient mechanical module that could plug into the Defender and give it a new ability, problem is I'm not sure what would be fun but not out of control. My first idea was having it sprout a lightning gun that would let it use Force-Empowered Rend at range but that seems a little weak? I'd love any ideas from the thread because I'm a bit stuck.

Magnet powers. Mysterious metal attraction. Like, something strikes it with a sword and sword's just stuck there for a while.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Regalingualius posted:

Well, finally had my first session the other night, including a two-part fight with 8 giant spiders and a wizard’s cat familiar.

…We took at least as much damage from friendly fire as we did from the enemies, and the familiar managed to one-shot someone from full HP with a lucky crit by the DM.
Sounds like peak D&D

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
My 11-year-old niece is majorly into Stranger Things and wants to play D&D. As her nerd uncle I feel it's my duty to make sure she's introduced to the world of RPGs in the most fun way possible.

I was just going to run a 5e one-shot for her and drop any boring stuff on the fly but at that point it's probably not D&D anymore. Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple RPG with a DnD lite-feel (rolling d20s and all that good stuff) that I can I can teach her quickly and pass off as the real thing?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tea Bone posted:

My 11-year-old niece is majorly into Stranger Things and wants to play D&D. As her nerd uncle I feel it's my duty to make sure she's introduced to the world of RPGs in the most fun way possible.

I was just going to run a 5e one-shot for her and drop any boring stuff on the fly but at that point it's probably not D&D anymore. Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple RPG with a DnD lite-feel (rolling d20s and all that good stuff) that I can I can teach her quickly and pass off as the real thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jgilmour/kids-on-bikes-rpg-strange-adventures-in-small-town

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's a good question for the Old School thread. There are several very light D&D variants that would probably appeal to you. TAAC (There's Always A Chance) is one. I think I remember Tom from the Fear of A Black Dragon podcast saying he runs old-school modules for his sun using Bluehack.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tea Bone posted:

Depends on how "authentic" she wants to go and what level she's at. There are lots of different options but hell maybe just get some friends of hers together and run Lost Mine of Phandelver.

You don't might not need to lighten it up for an eleven year old depending. That's what, 6th grade? I was reading the 2e players handbook by then.

If she wants something cute / fun you could try this: https://steamforged.com/products/animal-adventures . I ran some of it for some friends of mine for a break between campaigns and people enjoyed it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, don't underestimate a kids ability to grasp these things. You can give her a character sheet give it a quick trial run in some one on one DnD, and check in to see how she feels about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do not, under any circumstances, expose a child to an AD&D player's handbook. That's abuse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Halloween Jack posted:

Do not, under any circumstances, expose a child to an AD&D player's handbook. That's abuse.

No no it's good for them. That's how they learn to build character

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 28, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There was a Stranger Things-themed 5e starter set released at one point. It’s out of print now I think, but you can get a used copy from Amazon/eBay/etc. shouldn’t be super expensive.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, don't underestimate a kids ability to grasp these things. You can give her a character sheet give it a quick trial run in some one on one DnD, and check in to see how she feels about it.

Yeah, I totally expect her to be able to grasp it. I'm just not sure how "into it" she will actually be and would rather her get a feel for if she would like it or not before jumping into the full thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No no it's good for them. That's how they learn to build character.
Unfortunately it's the kind of character that ends up buying twitter as a bit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

Just run D&D, I ran a game for my also Stranger Things obsessed niece and nephew for most of the last year and it went great. An 11 year old isn't going to have a problem figuring it out and 5e is easy anyway. Chances are good that her friends also are interested in D&D if not already playing so she might not be as interested in another ttrpg as specifically name brand Dungeons and Dragons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And somehow rolled a Charisma of 0

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Strength-based artificer is a bold choice cotton, lets see if it pays off!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Dude grew up hoarding the wealth from an apartheid era emerald mine. I'm pretty sure he is the dragon.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dude grew up hoarding the wealth from an apartheid era emerald mine. I'm pretty sure he is the dragon.

A dragon who purchases a controlling share in a magicians guild that specializes in the production of sending stones because people were using them to say mean things about him

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Elon must have tanked all of his stats, and put the points in background somehow.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Well, twitter is a swamp

quote:

The vilest and most abusive of the Chromatics, black dragons take pleasure in bullying the weak. Known for their extreme sadism, black dragons love to make their prey beg for mercy. They are also incredibly jealous and paranoid of other dragons, attacking weaker rivals and fleeing from stronger ones. Black dragons make their homes in swamps, and they are sometimes worshipped by evil Lizardfolk or Kobolds. They tend to hoard ancient treasures from empires long lost. Watch out for their acid, which can melt an adventurer down to their bones.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I'd like to ask a question about Dungeondraft, since the official discord was no help. I'm using a docked Steam Deck as a productivity PC at the moment, and:

1. I have no idea how good the Linux support is for the software, what distros it's available for, etc.

2. SteamOS has an immutable filesystem, so even if it were available on Arch (SteamOS is an Arch-derivative), I'd need something like a flatpak installer to keep it from getting wiped every time SteamOS updates. And I couldn't find any info on a Dungeondraft flatpak.

So does anyone know if the Windows version runs OK in WINE, or how the Linux version is distributed at all? Thanks.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

in this doggy dog world you are either the dungeon or the dragon. (looks into sunset wistfully, wind whipping at my overly baggy hot topic anime tee shirt)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tea Bone posted:

You might want to check out Quest: https://www.adventure.game/

It's rules-lite and based around a really simple D20 mechanic meant to emulate the way D&D is portrayed in media.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the best 5e adventure besides Curse of Strahd?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

So I've been running a game for my two buds for a bit. They've hit level six and have been exploring a super old ruin embedded into a mountain. I want to give the Artificer something neat and unique as an item since the ranger got a sweet sword randomly.

Anything that adds another action, or improves its defense or survivability. If you're unsure, pick a magic item from the DMG of the appropriate level and rewrite it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

NotNut posted:

Storm King's Thunder

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Any advice on playing a druid?

I know I have a good build, I've read a guide on good go-to forms for Wild Shape. I guess my main concerns are tactical, like what pitfalls to avoid since I can't be wildshaped and cast spells at the same time. We're starting at level 3.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

NotNut posted:

Descent into Avernus + The Eventyr Games' supplement and guide was the best time I've had with D&D, personally.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah give her the Rifts manual instead.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NotNut posted:

Tomb of Annihilation is fantastic

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rutibex posted:

Tomb of Annihilation is fantastic

Nah. Tomb is terrible. It tries to fit a bunch of square pegs into round holes and requires the DM to ignore or homebrew large parts of it to make it work. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Nah. Tomb is terrible. It tries to fit a bunch of square pegs into round holes and requires the DM to ignore or homebrew large parts of it to make it work. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

yeah, it was wildly disappointing and the amount of work required was great for very little payoff, it simply doesnt fit 5e well at all. stay away from it, all. ghosts of saltmarsh is the best by the way

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Our Tomb game has been fun but I get the sense that our DM has streamlined a bunch of stuff + we're making great time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

It is an excellent template for playing D&D properly, but I do agree that its lacking proper hexcrawl rules. You can get those from Basic D&D or Whitebox. The DM should always be putting their personal spin on a module, so Tomb of Annihilation is a great teaching tool. And the dungeon is just fantastic, you can take that part out and run it seperatly from the rest of the scenario.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rutibex posted:

It is an excellent template for playing D&D properly, but I do agree that its lacking proper hexcrawl rules. You can get those from Basic D&D or Whitebox. The DM should always be putting their personal spin on a module, so Tomb of Annihilation is a great teaching tool. And the dungeon is just fantastic, you can take that part out and run it seperatly from the rest of the scenario.

All of this is wrong. People don't buy the book to get 10% of what they need to run an adventure. Stop telling people your weird guidelines for "playing D&D properly". This is like when you made your own homebrew copy of Talisman out of cereal boxes and then tried to sell people on the base game, when you never played the thing you were actually pushing.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

"this module is good, you just have to buy a separate game and use the rules from that simultaneously while playing the game everyone came for" is actually a terrible pitch lol

change my name posted:

Our Tomb game has been fun but I get the sense that our DM has streamlined a bunch of stuff + we're making great time

yeah you can have fun with it if you change a lot and really work through the rules to make it fit your group but it takes more effort than strahd(basically the posterchild for "great if you put in the time to change it, mediocre to bad if not") and the end result is not that great, really. i would recommend many modules ahead of toa unless people really want to play it for some reason

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

All of this is wrong. People don't buy the book to get 10% of what they need to run an adventure.

No sir I am afraid you are the one who is wrong. Tomb of Annihilation is absolutely packed with content. There is a major city, a fully keyed Hexmap with tons of locations, and appendixes that are quite useful for an exploration heavy campaign. It also has a bunch of mini dungeons and scenarios, a few mid sized adventures, and a big final dungeon. There is enough content in this book for a lazy DM to run an entire exploration campaign with almost no prep. The thing is 260 pages!

A competent DM can take Isle of Dread and turn it into an entire campaign and that's only 30 pages. Tomb is practically bloated!

Toshimo posted:

Stop telling people your weird guidelines for "playing D&D properly". This is like when you made your own homebrew copy of Talisman out of cereal boxes and then tried to sell people on the base game, when you never played the thing you were actually pushing.

:rolleyes:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pog boyfriend posted:

"this module is good, you just have to buy a separate game and use the rules from that simultaneously while playing the game everyone came for" is actually a terrible pitch lol

yeah you can have fun with it if you change a lot and really work through the rules to make it fit your group but it takes more effort than strahd(basically the posterchild for "great if you put in the time to change it, mediocre to bad if not") and the end result is not that great, really. i would recommend many modules ahead of toa unless people really want to play it for some reason

I'm being kind of pretentious about it but I'm trying to say its more fun to DM a scenario you have to put some work into.

Yeah sure if you just want to crack the book open and go than run something more straight forward :shrug:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

5e barely has any "campaign is really good RAW and can be run as-is" campaigns. I feel like all of them require mid-to-heavy DM homebrewing, tweaking, cutting, addition and modification to make it a good adventure to run.

I don't mind too much, I like doing my own stuff, I'm mostly there for a general pitch, cool battlemaps, and a plot overview to work with.

But considering time and money you put into it, I expect more from a campaign book. And it's not great for new DMs, or DMs who don't want to do all the work. Which they shouldn't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I'm being kind of pretentious about it but I'm trying to say its more fun to DM a scenario you have to put some work into.

Yeah sure if you just want to crack the book open and go than run something more straight forward :shrug:

i specifically recommend ghosts of saltmarsh because its very good to work with. i dont think tomb of annihilation is good to work with in the same time - some of the encounters are fun, but the sheer amount of information is a negative here because trying to string it together into a meaningful campaign is wildly difficult and has both buy in for all of the players and the DM, not to mention many of the conceits the module has make it unpalatable to many players.

its a very specific campaign, one that does not appeal to many, and requires way more work than everything else. and at the end of the day if i had a group of people that wanted to play a hex crawl slash weird highly deadly dungeon campaign i would simply play OSE instead