Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*stroking chin for a moment* Thierry Bidet

Got'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

His Divine Shadow posted:

The further south you get the better, so it's OK at the southernmost parts of europe. But for most of europe which lies further north, it's not a good use of finite resources.

Yes, this is the part where living beyond your means kicks in.in terms of eu solidarity, i already pay double the price for a bag of wodden pellets and theres massive shortages for those here because we are sending them to northern and central europe.
Now i spent 1500 euros installing a wooden stove and have to chop wood like a peasant.

On a more serious note, i hope this is a mild winter, the thing is we are hoping the same brokebrained morons who led us here with disastrous policies can magicaly get this one right, and we are going to need a decade of mild winters if they do.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hey I'm from scandinavia, scandinavian power is what keeps the part of the continent from having blackouts and it's raised power prices several hundred percent here as a consequence. My electricity is 600% more expensive now than one year ago. So that's solidarity IMO. And my house's primary heating is electricity (heat pump).

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 28, 2022

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
No price cap?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They lowered the VAT on electricity. But my new price is with the VAT included, so granted it'd have been more than that without the lowered VAT.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

repeat after me:
Percentage increases are meaningless without absolute values.
Absolute increases are meaningless without percentage values.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There is absolutely enough LNG available on the world market to solve Europe's heating issues, the problem is the lack of terminal capacity to "unload" it. This year's gas storages were filled with a lot of Russian gas still, which needs to be replaced next year. Whether there will be enough LNG terminals built to satisfy demand is the open question that will determine how difficult next year's winter will be. I'm relatively confident that enough capacity will be available in 2024 though. But Europe will still pay a premium on energy as compared to the time of cheap Russian gas, which will lower it's competitiveness somewhat, and overall will make Europe a bit poorer than if Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine. But I don't think we're facing a decade of economic malaise that will leave Europe crippled in the 2030s.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mano posted:

repeat after me:

It went from 5 to 30 cents (+5 cents transfer fee) per kWh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mano posted:

repeat after me:

if electricity was 10% of my income and now it's 20%, and my income didn't change, I think that holds some meaning

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Last bimester's electricity bill for me was double what I paid in the same bimester last year despite me consuming less electricity. How's that for a meaningful increase, lol

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I keep 16-17C indoor temperature, wear long johns and count myself lucky I got firewood to get a few extra degrees of heating in the house with a masonry heater.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It went from 5 to 30 cents (+5 cents transfer fee) per kWh
So it's now about what I've been paying for years on like 1/4th of typical Nordic income.

I absolutely sucks, I don't disagree, but I think we'll survive this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

So it's now about what I've been paying for years on like 1/4th of typical Nordic income.

How much is your electricity bill per month?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Survive, but not prosper.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I was at 30 cents and am now at double that at least. And I'm thinking we'll be fine even though I'm struggling on less than min wage. Like, if the alternative is acquiescing to putin or loving over Southern Europe or others I'll just live with it for a few years or however long it takes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mano posted:

repeat after me:
"42 and 42%" without context is also meaningless.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Torrannor posted:

There is absolutely enough LNG available on the world market to solve Europe's heating issues, the problem is the lack of terminal capacity to "unload" it. This year's gas storages were filled with a lot of Russian gas still, which needs to be replaced next year. Whether there will be enough LNG terminals built to satisfy demand is the open question that will determine how difficult next year's winter will be. I'm relatively confident that enough capacity will be available in 2024 though. But Europe will still pay a premium on energy as compared to the time of cheap Russian gas, which will lower it's competitiveness somewhat, and overall will make Europe a bit poorer than if Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine. But I don't think we're facing a decade of economic malaise that will leave Europe crippled in the 2030s.

Yeah thats about right according to any experts I've read - winter 22/23 should be expensive, but workable, now. EU storage levels are higher than expected (94% as of today) and this ongoing heat wave across most of the continent (its 24C in Paris this weekend :eek:) is shortening the winter. Winter 24/25 will be fine too, enough LNG capacity will be online by then and demand will also have been reduced somewhat by higher prices, government incentives etc.

Winter 23/24 is going to be the real test because all of the LNG terminals won't be online yet and the EU won't have been able to fill storage over the 2023 spring/summer with Russian gas. Russia only really started cutting off supply in the late summer this year, after having supplied huge amounts into EU storage for the winter already. It was a huge strategic blunder by Putin because he didn't expect the war to drag on the way it has.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

By mid-2023 the Tyra Field should be online again, which will certainly help.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
All those resources that could've been put into renewables and mitigating climate change are now instead being put into more gas infrastructure and military expansion because an old bunker gnome felt like starting a land war in Europe and kill a lot of people to put his name in the history books as a good orthodox christian warrior against the godless woke homonazi druggies

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Somaen posted:

All those resources that could've been put into renewables and mitigating climate change are now instead being put into more gas infrastructure and military expansion because an old bunker gnome felt like starting a land war in Europe and kill a lot of people to put his name in the history books as a good orthodox christian warrior against the godless woke homonazi druggies

Putin is obviously the biggest problem, but its a mistake to ignore our own EU politicians and their terrible policy decisions. A large part of the blame lies on Germany's concerted effort to deepen economic ties with Russia over the last two decades. If Schröder et al hadn't made Germany so dependent on Russian gas then there wouldn't be such a mad scramble to switch to even more polluting alternatives like coal right now.

And Merkel/the German Greens/other Green parties across the EU's efforts to close down nuclear plants is also playing a fairly big role here. If we had more nuclear capacity to fall back on as a continent things wouldn't be half as bad.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Somaen posted:

Good news: that money wasn't gonna go into renewables or climate change mitigation anyway. Nobody in our political class seems aware of the extent of the work and changes required. Or they know and don't care. Functionally identical alternatives.

Our very own brand new fascist premier just committed to 'tech-neutral transition' which means italy is gonna do business as usual and lose precious more years. But even so previous governments just stalled the poo poo out of any effort and recently scrapped our renewables subsidies.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Blut posted:

Putin is obviously the biggest problem, but its a mistake to ignore our own EU politicians and their terrible policy decisions. A large part of the blame lies on Germany's concerted effort to deepen economic ties with Russia over the last two decades. If Schröder et al hadn't made Germany so dependent on Russian gas then there wouldn't be such a mad scramble to switch to even more polluting alternatives like coal right now.

And Merkel/the German Greens/other Green parties across the EU's efforts to close down nuclear plants is also playing a fairly big role here. If we had more nuclear capacity to fall back on as a continent things wouldn't be half as bad.

But nuclear is always bad and worse for the environment. RADIATION. No I will not read your studies nor will I offer my own.

NUCLEAR BAD. DO YOU WANT ANOTHER CHERNOBYL!!?!?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

An insane mind posted:

But nuclear is always bad and worse for the environment. RADIATION. No I will not read your studies nor will I offer my own.

NUCLEAR BAD. DO YOU WANT ANOTHER CHERNOBYL!!?!?

The direct line of consequence between Germany shutting down nuclear plants "for the environment" to now expand production in coal plants to compensate would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Blut posted:

Germany's failures aren't entirely their own. Fukuyamaism, which underlies a lot of the technocratic revolution within the EUs inner workings, insists that at the end of history globalism and freedom of movement (mostly capital, of course) are the lynch-pins around which the democratization of the globe revolves. The obvious corollary to this ideological statement is that Russia can be tied to the international order by means of trade and mutually beneficial economic collaboration, and it would not only be unthinkable to start a "traditional" land war of conquest, in Europe (!), it would be rude and very much against :decorum:

Obviously a person with hind-sight has but one eye and we know where it is pointed at, but all the same it has been excruciatingly painful to watch our (Finnish) politicians' statements from the '10s around the gas pipe-line investments paraded in our media over the autumn. They vehemently denied that it was anything other than a normal business transaction, and some even went on to say that this was an environmentally beneficial act as well (don't ask me). Back then, anyone who dared suggest that this economical and infrastructure-level bundling of eggs in a Russia-based basket might have security-related issues or geo-political implications was branded a hysterical worry-wart.

Of course it also helps that a lot of leading politicians and influence-wielders back then personally benefited a lot in the wallet department by parroting these lines uncritically :capitalism:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Germany's failures aren't entirely their own. Fukuyamaism, which underlies a lot of the technocratic revolution within the EUs inner workings, insists that at the end of history globalism and freedom of movement (mostly capital, of course) are the lynch-pins around which the democratization of the globe revolves. The obvious corollary to this ideological statement is that Russia can be tied to the international order by means of trade and mutually beneficial economic collaboration, and it would not only be unthinkable to start a "traditional" land war of conquest, in Europe (!), it would be rude and very much against :decorum:

this video owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dGkiJcEK78

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Rappaport posted:

Germany's failures aren't entirely their own. Fukuyamaism, which underlies a lot of the technocratic revolution within the EUs inner workings, insists that at the end of history globalism and freedom of movement (mostly capital, of course) are the lynch-pins around which the democratization of the globe revolves.

The irony being that Fukuyama recanted that view, no?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tagaziel posted:

The irony being that Fukuyama recanted that view, no?

Credit where credit is due, poor Francis has taken a lot of poo poo and he's realized the error of his ways. Sadly he did influence a lot of poor policy decisions!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He changed it from "it WILL work" to "it SHOULD work" but otherwise doubled down on the philosophy.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
I was enamored with his philosophy twenty years ago as an acne-ridden teenager, but eventually I realized that it's basically trying to boil down the whole of human experience and history into - basically - an equation and finding the right values would solve our problems forever. I love Asimov, but there's a reason he spent the rest of his life screwing with the idea of psychohistory.

As for Europa... As a Pole, I just wake up sometimes and stare in disbelief at how this country manages to function, despite systemic failures on virtually every level, which are only going to be exacerbated now that Brussels realized that appeasement never worked and will never work. It'd be kind of funny, if you didn't run the numbers and realize that the total influx of money as part of the Cohesion Policy over the last 18 years was equivalent to the sum total of all property expenditures by local authorities over the past 15 years.

It's insane to think of what will happen now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

How much is your electricity bill per month?
Previously around 60EUR, heating and water maybe another 100 since they're centrally provided for the whole building. From gas, of course, so :unsmigghh:

It's of course not just Germany's fault, our geniuses subsidized a ton of solar while wind is running at 3x capacity factor, dropped several opportunities to add reactors to existing nuke plants (last one because russia gently caress youuuuuu putin :argh:). Most of Central and Eastern Europe uses coal and gas in general. Sorry snow-goons, we didn't luck into a lot of hydro and then went all :downs:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

So German chancellor Scholz decided to push through with a controversial sale of stakes in a harbor in Hamburg to the Chinese and now he's planning some kinda solo tour to China and he's fighting his own party over it. The european comission also told them not to do it.

Why is he so gung-ho about this?

https://www.politico.eu/article/olaf-scholz-ignores-government-over-china-port-deal-cosco-shipping/

So it's not just the port

https://www.politico.eu/article/report-germany-government-chip-plant-china-despite-secret-service-warning/

quote:

Despite warnings from intelligence agencies, Germany's government is set to approve a Chinese takeover of a German company's microchips production facility.

German outlet Handelsblatt reported Thursday that the deal — which would see a takeover of the semiconductor production of Dortmund-based Elmos by Sweden's Silex, a wholly owned subsidiary of China's Sai Microelectronics — was set to get the green light against security advice.

The deal is currently being reviewed by the German economy ministry. A final decision on approval is expected within the next few weeks.

Europe — and Germany in particular — has been grappling with its reliance on autocratic third countries for critical infrastructure, after its dependency on Russian energy was exposed by Vladimir Putin's war on Ukraine.

The reports come only days after the German government gave the green light to Chinese state-owned shipping giant Cosco buying a foothold in a container port in Hamburg. German Chancellor Olaf Scholz not only ignored warnings from the EU but also from six of his own federal ministries, including the Greens' Vice Chancellor Robert Habeck.

Elmos is one of Germany's smaller semiconductor companies, which mainly produces chips for the automotive industry. Silex plans to take over the plant for €85 million. Elmos will use the investment to give up its own production and instead process chips bought from contract manufacturers.
It's a pretty small company that I've never heard of, but it could be important in the automotive supply chain. And they'll shut down their own production in favor of purchasing chips, I wonder from where. Oh well, good thing the automotive sector isn't important in Germany!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's the russian strategy all over again. This time it'll work!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The invisible hand hath spoketh, sadly nothing can be done :shrug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

an 85m euro chipfab is like three people

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well yeah it's a relatively small company as I said, but if their chips go into some Bosch components, a little fuckery with them could easily bring everything to a halt. We've literally just seen what happens to car manufacturing if something in the supply chain goes missing.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
China has some issues keeping their semiconductor industry going. They can't make the more modern 3nm chips and have to buy them from Taiwan. They can make 7nm chips though.

China does not like being dependent on other countries, and the US is leaning hard on Germany and The Netherlands to keep their chip making tech from China, while also stopping americans from working for Chinese chipmakers.

How China Could Create a Global Semiconductor Shortage 24 Aug 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWdwkXj8b_4&t=506s

How US Sanctions are Crippling China's Semiconductor Industry 19 Oct 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvCIPfo9ks8&t=495s

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/vonderburchard/status/1587090344436531204

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finnish PM in a recent speech argues for increased european autonomy in light of Russian energy crisis and looks like she's siding with the USA over China.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10023117

Google translated article:

quote:

Sanna Marin warns against making the same mistakes with technology as with energy

Sanna Marin wants Finland and Europe to be among the winners in what she calls the geopolitical competition between the US and China.

Prime Minister Sanna Marin's (SDP) participation in the start-up festival Slush became news because she was originally supposed to perform together with a representative of her husband's company.

Marin consulted the Chancellor of Justice and Slush chose to let the start-up festival's CEO Eerika Savolainen conduct the interview on stage instead.

The start-up festival Slush
Gathers 12,000 people in the Exhibition Center in Helsinki on Thursday and Friday. Of these, 4,600 are start-up entrepreneurs and 2,600 are investors.

Slush is organized by a company run by students, in the background there is a non-profit foundation.

The event in Mässcentrum is reminiscent of other fairs where companies and, for example, universities present their ideas and products. On the stages, people who started or run companies, and investors are interviewed. At the same time, entrepreneurs can meet potential investors in a private room.

The prime minister drew a large crowd to the big stage. She repeated her message several times:

- The heavy dependence on Russian energy was a mistake. The logic behind our reasoning was we thought close economic ties would avoid war because a war would be so expensive. We did not realize that the Russian logic was different, says Marin.

She says that they should have listened to the Baltic countries and Poland, who warned several times about the so-called Russian logic.

New factories
In recent years, it has also become clear how global supply chains work. There may be shortages of both medicine and food. Therefore, Marin advocates what she calls a strategic autonomy for Europe.

- We must not make the same mistakes with technology as we did with energy and medicine.

She takes semiconductors as an example.

- The dependence on chips and semiconductors from Taiwan is too great. We need to ensure that companies invest in Europe and the US. This is not something built overnight, achieving top class takes ten years.

The purpose of manufacturing in countries that, according to Marin, work with Western logic is not to paint yourself into a corner.

- No country should be able to blackmail us the way Russia is now doing.

In practice, it's about reducing dependence on China, which Marin says doesn't mean cutting all ties. According to Marin, there is a consensus on this when she meets other heads of state in Europe.

Sanna Marin gets spontaneous applause when she talks about the geopolitical race between the US and China.

- We must cooperate with the United States and win the competition for new technology.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Glad to see Marin following the one China policy. :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Colour me shocked that the PM of Nokialand would warn against relying on China for technology going forward.