Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cable Guy posted:

:kstare:

What the gently caress....?

Edit: Oh I think I get it.... mirror film being applied to a glass door from the other side....

It's obviously a ghost squeegee

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

drying a mirror with compressed air?

Compressed air is rad as hell and I won’t hear any counter to my opinion.

*turns good ear in*

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lmao

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

17 year old dealing with a landing gear failure.

https://i.imgur.com/jEQOzMU.mp4

It's funny, I always thought the thing with "propeller instantly stops with its tips bent backwards on a belly landing" was just a videogame invention for simplicity. But no, turns out that actually happens in reality. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Perestroika posted:

It's funny, I always thought the thing with "propeller instantly stops with its tips bent backwards on a belly landing" was just a videogame invention for simplicity. But no, turns out that actually happens in reality. :allears:

Two‐ (or one‐) bladed props are the best because you can save them in a belly landing and avoid a costly engine inspection. :colbert:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Perestroika posted:

That goes for metal props but wood and composite ones tend to shatter into a shower of splinters when they strike and sometimes the wood ones fly apart mid flight if they have not been inspected for cracks or rot for far too long, either way the engine will need a complete tear down and inspection if not straight up replaced.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lmao 10/10

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's obviously a ghost squeegee

It's the Viper, obviously.

Here to vipe your vindows....

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yet another Monty Python sketch come to life.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Walking in to work today after a big wind storm, and someone's going to get a rude shock after their shift when they come out to their car.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Just a thing we have laying around the shop

Mobile posting and can’t figure out how to embed.

E: That must be a recent feature (or I’m blind) thanks!

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 28, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're using the awful app, embed is the [bb] button next to the post arrow. Click that, select insert image or insert imgur, paste link in that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Perestroika posted:

This is how the US Air Force Museum displays one of its interwar period trainer aircraft

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cthulu Carl posted:

This is how the US Air Force Museum displays one of its interwar period trainer aircraft

You can't park that there, mate

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just to abuse this new feature I found, this BF-109 was gifted to Britain (shot down) and made a nice belly landing in someone’s field. Supposedly it sits mostly as it was found, with some instruments taken for war research.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nomad2020 posted:

Just to abuse this new feature I found, this BF-109 was gifted to Britain (shot down) and made a nice belly landing in someone’s field. Supposedly it sits mostly as it was found, with some instruments taken for war research.

This is awesome

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

draining water is used to mimic black hole behavior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnoYQchHFw

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

nomad2020 posted:

Just a thing we have laying around the shop

Mobile posting and can’t figure out how to embed.

E: That must be a recent feature (or I’m blind) thanks!

What am I looking at here?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

namlosh posted:

What am I looking at here?

A single blade of a propeller that got bent on a gear up landing.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
If gear up landings wreck propellers so much, then why do pilots keep doing them? I say just make gear up landings illegal and then only criminals will be breaking propellers.

Problem solved.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why don't they just raise the propellor

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Just make the blades so short that they can't hit anything below fuselage.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

haveblue posted:

Why don't they just raise the propellor

have I got an airplane/double helicopter for you!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they should make the propeller out of the same material they use for the black box obviously

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MrQwerty posted:

have I got an airplane/double helicopter for you!

Pro: The Osprey can crash without bending its propellers
Con: The Osprey can crash. It's downright good at it.

(Or have I fallen victim to baseless anti-Osprey propaganda?)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

raspurtin posted:

draining water is used to mimic black hole behavior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnoYQchHFw

I was thinking the same thing!

Although I thought they were water sensing drones that just park at wet spots getting overwhelmed by the rain at first.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Computer viking posted:

just like any airplane, they work well now after getting the bugs out except Russian ones, evidently

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Osprey's props are designed to be frangible so in an emergency it can land horizontally in airplane mode. Because I am not an engineer, this is actually how I learned the word frangible

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Robobot posted:

If gear up landings wreck propellers so much, then why do pilots keep doing them? I say just make gear up landings illegal and then only criminals will be breaking propellers.

Problem solved.

Long story short, your dentist can’t afford an airplane with the appropriate amount of computer control, and has no time for wasting time at a training camp.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Computer viking posted:

No, as they share helicopter DNA, they are similarly an affront to the sky gods and are therefore accursed by them

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

nomad2020 posted:

Just to abuse this new feature I found

New to you, sure, but it's been there as long as I can remember using the awful app, at least 5 years. You could always insert img files the old fashion way using bbcode [img] tags, too, just like the old days when you'd get a link from an upload to waffleimages and have to tag it yourself. Not everyone knows how to do that, though, and I'm glad you know how to post pics now.

If you're using android awful app, take a moment and look around for the "post new thread" button.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

but when ospreys crash, they're usually full of marines, so its impossible to say if they're good or bad

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

A Moose posted:

but when ospreys crash, they're usually full of marines, so its impossible to say if they're good or bad

All those half-eaten crayons going to waste is never a good thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Moose posted:

Yeah but we need marines so we can have ex-marines who raise kids that want to become marines because the marines viciously recruit from families with marine heritage. It's one of the strongest "mah daddy did X so I'm gonna do X" idiot vibes you can find in all of america.

And crayola would go bankrupt without hungry marines to feed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/GZBCzkH.mp4

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Really banking on knowing which way the fight or flight reflex is going to lean on this one, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/lUiuSoh.mp4