Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
a year or so ago my mom sold the house we grew up in because it was basically too much house for her and my step dad, they couldn't maintain it and couldn't really afford it. some house flippers offered to buy it as is. it's up on zillow now and goddamn it looks like poo poo.

every thing is white, grey or black. they painted the brick fireplaces white and the wood bookcases black. grey carpet everywhere on the 2nd floor, the first floor is either grey tile or fake grey hardwood (it's not real hardwood because the house never had the real thing). same thing for the basement. although the new owners are going to enjoy the basement flooding and ruining that nice new carpet lmao

why is this the new standard for house flipping, it's so boring and sterile and ugly. like the house needed renovations but it looks like an office now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Have you ever seen a rich person condo or modern house? They all look like and are built like offices too.

Apr 7, 2003

Two million bucks

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/320-Fort-Duquesne-Blvd-F26_Pittsburgh_PA_15222_M37326-94109

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah boring sterile is one of the options for rich decorations besides gold and gaudy and gross hunter cabin

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
People like sterile. Clean pallette, they can go hog wild!*

* - leave them white because they're indecisive

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
It's basically the least "offensive" interior decoration that realtors/HGTV like to see. The widest possible net cast also means the most boring slop imaginable.

The upside is that it's so bland you can pretty much paint/decorate it immediately for a drastic visual difference.

What really fucks with me is that people who buy those kinds of flips leave it as is.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a bit more pricy to replace the floors that look like dead trees

there are plenty of amazing modernist homes, dating from the 1950s to today

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

It's basically the least "offensive" interior decoration that realtors/HGTV like to see. The widest possible net cast also means the most boring slop imaginable.

The upside is that it's so bland you can pretty much paint/decorate it immediately for a drastic visual difference.

What really fucks with me is that people who buy those kinds of flips leave it as is.

yeah I get that but it looks like they took a lot of the wood accents and stuff (which was actual wood not laminate bullshit) and either got rid of it or painted over it.

i dont' get it but i'm not a house flipper

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

Yeah the whole idea of having like a generic baseline makes sense but yeah people just live like that

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

i dont' get it but i'm not a house flipper

“updated “ is a basically like checklist they run through for currently in trim and finishes to match what folks see on the tv.

my wife and I love honey oak and wood finishes which is currently extremely out.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

actionjackson posted:

a bit more pricy to replace the floors that look like dead trees

there are plenty of amazing modernist homes, dating from the 1950s to today

there are luxury vinyl options that aren’t grey or white that aren’t any different in price.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Yeah the whole idea of having like a generic baseline makes sense but yeah people just live like that

Most people don't really put effort into things in general. You sell houses like this based on the fact that:

1) Almost no one actually hates it so much that they wouldn't live in it

and

2) People can pretend they'll make it their own, even though they won't

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there are luxury vinyl options that aren’t grey or white that aren’t any different in price.

yeah I have "wood" (laminate) because I can't do hardwood. I don't see why people actually like LVP, it has some major issues with getting damaged due to direct sunlight. you can get a laminate, engineered hardwood, or real hardwood.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Morbus posted:

Can I buy an affordable home in Pittsburgh? Does anyone have any information about this?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Pittsburgh,-PA_rb/
121 house listings under 80k
179 under 100k

This isn't unique either, there's lots of cities like this. Is it "decaying"? I guess, but it's livable.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

iCe-CuBe. posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Pittsburgh,-PA_rb/
121 house listings under 80k
179 under 100k

This isn't unique either, there's lots of cities like this. Is it "decaying"? I guess, but it's livable.

Did you actually look at those listings? There are technically livable houses in there, but the majority at those price points are gutted or condemned.

This is by far the nicest listing I could find under $100k:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7535-Short-St-Pittsburgh-PA-15218/11383724_zpid/

And the fact that this house has been there for almost 200 days screams that something is incredibly wrong with this property.

The existence of listings drastically below median market price does not mean there are actually houses you can live in at those price points.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Did you actually look at those listings? There are technically livable houses in there, but the majority at those price points are gutted or condemned.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7535-Short-St-Pittsburgh-PA-15218/11383724_zpid/

And the fact that this house has been there for almost 200 days screams that something is incredibly wrong with this property.

There are plenty of listings there I could live in, sure. Here's just one at random https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/422-Mifflin-Rd-Pittsburgh-PA-15207/11640745_zpid/. Compared to 99.999999% of the world a bunch of these houses are straight up opulent

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

The existence of listings drastically below median market price does not mean there are actually houses you can live in at those price points.

and fwiw, I currently live in a house at these price points also in the Midwest

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

That's in Rankin, directly in the shadow of a massive steel mill that pumps all sorts of nasty poo poo into the air.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

actionjackson posted:

yeah I have "wood" (laminate) because I can't do hardwood. I don't see why people actually like LVP, it has some major issues with getting damaged due to direct sunlight. you can get a laminate, engineered hardwood, or real hardwood.

my experience with it is the opposite. it’s much more durable than laminate or engineered hardwood.

Apr 7, 2003

iCe-CuBe. posted:

There are plenty of listings there I could live in, sure. Here's just one at random https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/422-Mifflin-Rd-Pittsburgh-PA-15207/11640745_zpid/. Compared to 99.999999% of the world a bunch of these houses are straight up opulent

ditto for this one too, the stuff in the Monongahela Valley around there is in an inversion area full of steel mill exhaust that will give you cancer.

e: That house is thirty feet from an active freight rail line

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Oct 28, 2022

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Yea I wouldn't want to live next to a railway. But TBH I can put up with a lot. at least on the inside a bunch of these houses look nicer than where I currently live.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

lol. the bottom-end market is where all the institutional money is.

that quote is incredible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

a year or so ago my mom sold the house we grew up in because it was basically too much house for her and my step dad, they couldn't maintain it and couldn't really afford it. some house flippers offered to buy it as is. it's up on zillow now and goddamn it looks like poo poo.

every thing is white, grey or black. they painted the brick fireplaces white and the wood bookcases black. grey carpet everywhere on the 2nd floor, the first floor is either grey tile or fake grey hardwood (it's not real hardwood because the house never had the real thing). same thing for the basement. although the new owners are going to enjoy the basement flooding and ruining that nice new carpet lmao

why is this the new standard for house flipping, it's so boring and sterile and ugly. like the house needed renovations but it looks like an office now

this is every house on hgtv

Apr 7, 2003

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Yea I wouldn't want to live next to a railway. But TBH I can put up with a lot. at least on the inside a bunch of these houses look nicer than where I currently live.

yeah, thing is when people talk about "cheap" cities it's usually just the bottom end that's cheap. Once you start moving into desirable newer housing these cities are just as expensive as everywhere else. I paid $120K for an old house but I can walk eight blocks and find houses going for a half million.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

spacemang_spliff posted:

No lovely barn door bullshit. 3 painted-over black mold patches out of 5.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, thing is when people talk about "cheap" cities it's usually just the bottom end that's cheap. Once you start moving into desirable newer housing these cities are just as expensive as everywhere else. I paid $120K for an old house but I can walk eight blocks and find houses going for a half million.

Median sales price for any particular market usually doesn't lie. If homes are selling for drastically less than the typical listing, there's usually a pretty good reason. There aren't tons of buyers out there turning up their noses at perfectly good properties and settling for nothing instead.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Kreeblah posted:

No lovely barn door bullshit. 3 painted-over black mold patches out of 5.

lol yeah my mom tried to do a lot of work on that house including getting rid of black mold in the basement (it used to flood from the walk out patio that my dad built drunk off his rear end) I guess they painted over whatever was left

the real lol is the door in the middle right in the second picture. that door wasn't there before, it was a hallway that lead to 2 bedrooms that my dad half built after my parents divorced (I think the original idea was that he could rent them out to AA buddies who needed a place to stay for next to nothing). there's no way he actually got a permit to build it, although he did know what he was doing so I assume it passed inspection since that fireplace he put in is still there. I want to walk through the house so I can see what they did with it

im shocked that there's no barn doors tbh

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

actionjackson posted:

LVP is more durable and cheaper than those other options

obviously real hardwood looks better tho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bawfuls posted:

LVP is more durable and cheaper than those other options

obviously real hardwood looks better tho

cheaper than hardwood for sure, and most engineered, but my laminate flooring was only $2/SF. haven't had any durability issues (even with a dog) and everyone thinks it's real wood

this is the thing about LVP and sunlight. obviously it's more of an issue if you are facing south or west https://cleanfax.com/hard-floor-care/luxury-vinyl-lvt-kryptonite/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

what in the name of industrial prison lighting is going on with that third-down left-hand ceiling fixture?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

People like sterile. Clean pallette, they can go hog wild!*

* - leave them white because they're indecisive

when my friends were prepping their 100-yr-old victorian for market last year their agent told them to paint all the natural woodwork white & the off-white walls all grey.

they had already gotten an offer accepted on a place they were buying tho so they sold their old house without loving it all up.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

when my friends were prepping their 100-yr-old victorian for market last year their agent told them to paint all the natural woodwork white & the off-white walls all grey.

they had already gotten an offer accepted on a place they were buying tho so they sold their old house without loving it all up.

to anyone painting over natural woodwork in their house: gently caress you

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

what in the name of industrial prison lighting is going on with that third-down left-hand ceiling fixture?

it's called linear suspension lighting

https://www.lumens.com/linear-suspension/

it can actually work pretty well in certain locations - not where it is in that picture, but in areas where it's going with the length of what is below it - for example a raised part of a kitchen counter where you often have stools, or a long rectangular table (a 5-6' long light above an 8' long table for example)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Willa Rogers posted:

my 90yr old house had the internal wood painted white. I wish they would have finished it or not painted at all. however I think some of it was painted back before 1980 so I’m not gonna release lead if I can help it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

to anyone painting over natural woodwork in their house: gently caress you

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I put in a wood floor once. Not refinished. From scratch. In the middle of august in South Carolina. For minimum wage which iirc was about $5/hour.

I don’t know what has come of that floor in the years since but if I were ever to find out somebody had painted it over I’d probably lose my mind. That’s seriously painstaking work to ruin with paint or cover with carpet

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:siren:

https://archive.ph/dHANR

also 30 year now at... 7.2%? lol amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actionjackson posted: