Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

GD_American posted:

It is insane that Byron Leftwich is not a head football coach yet, and it is mind-warpingly amazing that his only shot was blocked because Khan wanted to keep Baalke as GM instead of hiring Leftwich

The Jags absolutely made the right hire there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MLF is at risk imo

Pack look bad and it can’t all be blamed on 12

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

GD_American posted:

It is insane that Byron Leftwich is not a head football coach yet, and it is mind-warpingly amazing that his only shot was blocked because Khan wanted to keep Baalke as GM instead of hiring Leftwich

Honestly, even with the Bucs being as bad as they are, it wouldn't shock me if this is the year Leftwich gets a shot. The earlier the Bucs go home, the earlier teams in need can start interviewing him; and I think he's had enough past success that teams will be willing to chalk this year up to the personnel losses on offense and Brady's bones turning to dust.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Campbell will be safe this year. Although going 1-16 or something atrocious will put everyone in a bad spot.

If he has another season like this next year he'll be done. They gave him a six-year deal knowing it would be painful rebuild, and it doesn't sound like the owner is panicking over it.

If you can him who even takes the job? Who would want it. Lions are cursed.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Diva Cupcake posted:

Orr does this article every year.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/29/complete-list-of-nfl-future-head-coaches-daily-cover

DeMeco Ryans
Dan Quinn
Raheem Morris
Jonathan Gannon
Leslie Frazier

Those all seem like pretty good bets.

Maybe it's because I remember watching demeco playing and rooting for him, but I'd take a shot at him being a HC

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

It's Shanahan's own fault that he's had lovely QBs, though. He's stuck his neck out and invested massive amounts of capital in two: Jimmy G and Trey Lance. We know for sure that Garapollo is an oft-injured mediocrity and early returns for Lance look even worse.

He should have just gone to the QB store and gotten a good QB instead! They didn’t invest that much capital in Jimmy. They got him for a second rounder and he immediately won 6 of his first 7 games to close out their season. His contract was heavily front loaded with most of the guarantees in years 1 and 2. They could have easily moved on from him if they’d had a better option but they played themselves out of contention for the 2020 class by going to the SuperBowl. They tried to get Stafford and failed.

Lance was always meant to sit year 1 so early returns aren’t bad so much as non-existent. He’s raw and very athletic, exactly as expected.

Shanahan’s big misses (assuming that John Lynch is GM in name only) are not drafting Mahomes or Watson in 2017. Everything past that is just QB carousel bullshit that every team who doesn’t luck into a franchise QB goes through.

Maybe that gets him fired anyway but coaches who actually add value to the team are about as rare as good QBs and he’s one of them.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I've got Chargers, Broncos, Browns, Colts, Washington, Lions, and Panthers as potential openings. Maybe there's a few surprise retirements, but honestly this is probably a quiet season on the carousel.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Woozie66 posted:

I absolutely could see Allen going. He was basically the choice to "run it back." Most of the same old staff is still there, so if this year goes poorly they may finally want to clean house and try again.

I think Allen is safe through at least next year. The Saints cap and draft situation next year suck and no good candidates are going to want to eat one or two lovely years to start a rebuild. Better to let Allen be the bridge coach who suffers through it and hire a new guy when they’re mostly done clearing the books and replenishing draft picks.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He should have just gone to the QB store and gotten a good QB instead! They didn’t invest that much capital in Jimmy. They got him for a second rounder and he immediately won 6 of his first 7 games to close out their season. His contract was heavily front loaded with most of the guarantees in years 1 and 2. They could have easily moved on from him if they’d had a better option but they played themselves out of contention for the 2020 class by going to the SuperBowl. They tried to get Stafford and failed.

Lance was always meant to sit year 1 so early returns aren’t bad so much as non-existent. He’s raw and very athletic, exactly as expected.

Shanahan’s big misses (assuming that John Lynch is GM in name only) are not drafting Mahomes or Watson in 2017. Everything past that is just QB carousel bullshit that every team who doesn’t luck into a franchise QB goes through.

Maybe that gets him fired anyway but coaches who actually add value to the team are about as rare as good QBs and he’s one of them.

The issue around what you said is that for years the narrative around the 49ers is that they've been handcuffed by having a bad QB. I think OPs point is that Shanny put the handcuffs on himself. He absolutely could've tried to draft QBs at any point before deciding to throw a bag full of picks to get Lance.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Woozie66 posted:

The issue around what you said is that for years the narrative around the 49ers is that they've been handcuffed by having a bad QB. I think OPs point is that Shanny put the handcuffs on himself. He absolutely could've tried to draft QBs at any point before deciding to throw a bag full of picks to get Lance.

Okay but the implication from you and them is that there was a franchise qb readily available that Shanny just missed. There wasn’t.

Who should they have targeted, and at what time? What would have been a good decision without hindsight 20/20?

If SF had even league average injury luck (instead of just awful injury luck) they probably go to at least one more nfc championship game over the last few years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I don't think Staley is in any real danger unless the Chargers break character and want to go after Sean Payton.

This team ALWAYS keeps coaches too long. Norv, McCoy, Lynn.

That said, Tom Telesco (gm) doesn't have a contract for next year, so who knows

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Woozie66 posted:

They missed on a good class in 2017.

In 2018 they could have taken Lamar but a) a lot of teams passed on him b) Jimmy G played really well for them after they traded for him in 2017 and it wasn’t yet clear that he had a low ceiling and was made of glass.

The 2019 class sucked. Kyler went first and then it was Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins. Good decision not to take someone.

2020 they had just gone to the Super Bowl and didn’t pick nearly early enough to get any of Tua, Burrow or Herbert.

2021 they took Lance. Their other options were Jones and Fields. Hard to argue those would have been better choices given how their careers are going right now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Almost like changing all the rules to make it essentially a one player sport was slightly short sighted

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

me (an insane sicko): what if the bucs hired raheem morris again

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But "you can't go to the QB store and get a good QB" is what you can say about basically any fired HC. Shanny got two major swings at the position—which is one more than most get—and he (almost certainly) missed twice.

I'm personally agnostic on whether or not it'd be a good idea to fire Shanahan if his team crumbles again; I'm just saying two failed QBs and four losing seasons out of six is ordinarily the type of thing that puts someone on the hot seat.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The NFL is going to collapse from lack of coaches and tackles.

please please please PLEASE let this happen, let the NFL be destroyed

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Has he though? He's an offensive HC guru who's teams' biggest strength has and continues to be the defense. The Shanahan 49ers have had one season with a top 10 scoring offense.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Magnetic North posted:

please please please PLEASE let this happen, let the NFL be destroyed

No, I don't like this. I enjoy the NFL.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

But "you can't go to the QB store and get a good QB" is what you can say about basically any fired HC. Shanny got two major swings at the position—which is one more than most get—and he (almost certainly) missed twice.

Most fired HCs don’t make a Super Bowl and an NFC championship within a couple of years of each other and then get fired like a year later.

Jimmy G worked fine for the time. It wasn’t a major swing and they made deep playoff runs both seasons he managed not to get hurt. Their return on investment has been fine there and they can move on from him whenever they want.

Lance isn’t a miss, he’s an incomplete. He’s played like 4 games. I know you’ve got some lunatic idea that teams should cut bait on a first round QB if they aren’t Justin Herbert in year 1, but that’s insane and clearly not happening, nor should it.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Again, I think the big thing for me is that I want to push back on the narrative that Shanahan needs more time to find "his" QB or something like that. Jimmy was his, and now Lance is. I am not even saying those were terrible moves that didn't pay off, but I'm just saying he's one of the most powerful HCs in the league and the idea that he didn't get to this point by doing whatever he wanted is false.

Do I think he should be fired? Probably not. But I think he's shown he's not great at roster management or good at managing resources. Lynch was hired to help do whatever Shanahan wanted him to do.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lance isn’t a miss, he’s an incomplete. He’s played like 4 games. I know you’ve got some lunatic idea that teams should cut bait on a first round QB if they aren’t Justin Herbert in year 1, but that’s insane and clearly not happening, nor should it.

Kind of a wild pivot here, but there is some gray area between "you should give up on a quarterback if he isn't Justin Herbert in year 1" and "a quarterback should get three entire years of bad play before determining they're a bust" that I actually occupy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Woozie66 posted:

Again, I think the big thing for me is that I want to push back on the narrative that Shanahan needs more time to find "his" QB or something like that.

Until he has a QB that can survive two consecutive seasons without missing significant time it’s difficult to judge him. He’s made deep playoff runs the two times(!!!) he’s kept his starting QB for the whole season. That seems worth keeping him around and seeing what he can do if he can find a QB that stops dying every other year.

Or they can hire Dan Quinn or Leslie Frazier, surely that will work better.

He also seems to have a good eye for DCs since both Saleh and Ryans have done very well there. It’s not at all a given that you could fire him and the defense would keep on performing.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Woozie66 posted:

Again, I think the big thing for me is that I want to push back on the narrative that Shanahan needs more time to find "his" QB or something like that. Jimmy was his, and now Lance is. I am not even saying those were terrible moves that didn't pay off, but I'm just saying he's one of the most powerful HCs in the league and the idea that he didn't get to this point by doing whatever he wanted is false.

The idea that....ya know has reported since before that draft? People aren't making it up out of thin air. Where did the notion that Shanny is the coach and GM come from? We don't know how the power swings behind the scenes and just assuming he got Bill Belichick powers from the moment he walked into San Francisco is far fetched.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Until he has a QB that can survive two consecutive seasons without missing significant time it’s difficult to judge him.
I don’t think there’s any change Shanahan gets fired but this notion is pie in the sky hopes and dreams.

The last time the Jets had a QB start more than 13 games in a season was 2015. The last time they had a QB do it back to back years was Sanchez in 11/12. Two consecutive healthy seasons is pretty rare.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ehud posted:

Saleh is in year 2 and has the Jets at 5-2.

I don't think they're as good as their record would indicate, but things would have to go very poorly from this point forward for Saleh to lose his job.

Professor Funk posted:

Having Saleh on the Maybe list here is…well it’s hilarious. He’s not getting fired unless there’s a total catastrophe over the next 10 weeks.
Yes thats why its

Phobeste posted:

So... maybe
The Jets offense has been ravaged by injuries and if they finish like 6-11 I could see the owner decide to cut bait, especially if Zach Wilson continues to stink up the joint. I think the GM is drafting well and it was a pretty big rebuild so I expect Saleh to get another season, but I put him in maybe because if they fall apart its on him and I could see him maybe getting fired.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The problem for the 49ers is you're really going to struggle to find a coach that'll do better than Shanahan. Two deep playoff runs when your team is actually healthy is nothing to sneeze at, and there's always the chance the next coach is a mediocre 7-10 retread or an inept disaster like Hackett or Meyer.

I honestly think it'd be hard for the 49ers to improve coaching-wise. Who out there would be a potentially better get than Shanahan?

e: Not to mention Jed York apparently learned his lesson the last time he fired a coach that made the Super Bowl.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don’t think there’s any change Shanahan gets fired but this notion is pie in the sky hopes and dreams.

The last time the Jets had a QB start more than 13 games in a season was 2015. The last time they had a QB do it back to back years was Sanchez in 11/12. Two consecutive healthy seasons is pretty rare.

This feels like specific Jets fans trauma because plenty of teams manage to have their starting QB on the field for most of two consecutive years. There’s a difference between being dinged up and missing 23 games over a three year period.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

Texans could also easily end up firing Lovie Smith.

Last week every time they showed Lovie on redzone he had the most exhausted, dead eye stare I've ever seen. I think there's a decent chance they don't have to fire him, cause he pulls an I'm Too Old For This poo poo and retires.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shanahan undoubtedly has input into drafting and trading decisions but he is not in fact the general manager of the san francisco 49ers, and it is also extremely premature to judge him or actual general manager John Lynch for the Trey Lance draft pick. We all know what Jimmy G is right now and he is adequate when the rest of the team around him is healthy - he's not super mobile nor is he super accurate but he is capable and can operate the complex offense. Shanahan's play calling and offensive schemes are so good that they're being copied all over the league, and the team's defense (again when healthy) has been dominant. Until this season with the apparent collapse of the rams and (surprisingly only mediocre) weakness in Seattle, the NFC West has been regarded as a very tough division to play in, and that factors as well. Generally 9ers fans and local media are not exactly calling for shanahan's head. Even with injuries the 49ers are looking to put together at least a middling season with a decent shot at a playoff spot and if they miss the playoffs people are going to attribute it to injuries, not coaching.

In short, Shanny gets at a minimum another year in SF, and it'd have to be a really lousy 2023 for that to be the end.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also there were rumors Shanny didn't even want Lance.

Of course they're that he wanted Jones, but, you know....

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's funny that the complete lack of interest in Jimmy G may ultimately help Shanahan/Lynch out since at least he's arguably the best backup they could've had considering his experience in the system.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mega64 posted:

It's funny that the complete lack of interest in Jimmy G may ultimately help Shanahan/Lynch out since at least he's arguably the best backup they could've had considering his experience in the system.

I mean the Panthers wanted him, they were just turned off by him waiting until the last possible second to get surgery.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean the Panthers wanted him, they were just turned off by him waiting until the last possible second to get surgery.

Which he apparently did to make it nigh impossible to trade him. It’s always the pretty ones you’ve got to watch out for.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sexy and smart. :allears:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

FizFashizzle posted:

Which is really too bad. Then we could have had the handsome Jimmy G Panthers beating Tom Brady 21-3.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I prefer watching the XFL MVP beating an an NFL MVP

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mega64 posted:

I prefer watching the XFL MVP beating an an NFL MVP

:hmmyes:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Also there were rumors Shanny didn't even want Lance.

Of course they're that he wanted Jones, but, you know....

I've never bought into those rumors and instead assumed its just the draft bullshit due diligence rearing it's head as actual news. If you know you're taking a QB you're going to do interviews with the top 3 or whatever in the class and you're going to send scouts to their work outs and pro days just in case. In the short years following the beginning of Newtons career there was plenty of talk about how the team was always going to take him first overall and it was pretty much after one meeting and film session they knew he could be a superstar. There were still rumors that the Panthers might take Gabbert or Locker and they spent plenty of time sniffing around both.

My gut feel is that Jimmy has always sucked with his deep ball accuracy, simply doesn't have the velocity to really stick a mid out route or drive into a tight window and while he has some mobility in the pocket drifting around etc - he's never offered that additional dimension. The skinny on Trey Lance coming out was that he had all the athleticism in the world, the plus arm scouts jizz their pants for and a great mindset. The question was always if he would be able to put it together in the pros given how raw he was. Shanahan for all his faults has always been pretty effective at getting the most out of whoever is under center for him and while the jury is still out on Lance for the obvious reasons theres probably only one or two other guys who you'd believe were safe hands in terms of developing him for the future.

Mac Jones just strikes me as Jimmy G at his ceiling. On his best day he's not going to be throwing a ball 40 yards on a frozen rope and he's never going to bust out a 20 yard scramble on 3rd and long. I just don't see any world where you could have looked at Mac Jones and thought he was worth the kings ransom they gave up to get in position for lance. Call it Hubris or whatever but I think its overwhelmingly more likely a coach looked at Lance and thought - I can build him into a passer than they looked at Mac Jones and went he's an upgrade over Jimmy.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Shannys favorite QB he's ever coached is famously Kirk Cousins. I totally buy that he loved Mac, even if he changed his mind and went Lance.

Leperflesh posted:

Shanahan undoubtedly has input into drafting and trading decisions but he is not in fact the general manager of the san francisco 49ers

Do you also believe Carroll, Belichick, Reid, etc don't tell the GM what to do?

Woozie66 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Woozie66 posted:

Do you also believe Carroll, Belichick, Reid, etc don't tell the GM what to do?

Belichick is the defacto GM? Unless :thejoke: in which case I'm sorry