Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Subjunctive posted:

I’m trying to replace the L1 bumper because my broke in a drop, but I’m finding that the incumbent bumper has the dpad switches glued to it, whereas the new one from iFixit does not.

Old on left, new on right.

Anyone know how I go about getting a replacement for the dpad switch layer as well? it’s glued on pretty well, so I don’t think I can transfer it. (And the iFixit guide doesn’t mention it at all!) E: searching for the part number on the QR code doesn’t turn anything up.

Apply some heat to it via a hair dryer and try to peel it off I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mescal posted:

what were we using instead of FTP again?

I think I have a ssh server set up on my Steam Deck

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sigher posted:

Apply some heat to it via a hair dryer and try to peel it off I guess.

Yeah maybe but what do I do if that fails? Return it to Valve? Quite an escalation from a partially-broken bumper!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

buy a new deck. there's not even a waitlist anymore!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Mescal posted:

what were we using instead of FTP again?

ssh/sftp is probably what you mean, enabled by doing the following:
code:
sudo systemctl enable --now sshd
then you can sftp or use an ssh shell to access your deck

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(I reinstalled the existing slightly broken L1 and now it has even less play, though it does register a press if I do it hard enough. At least the Guilikit joysticks installed easily—once I realized that my soldering iron was set to 350F for some reason—and seem to be working well.)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

yeah i don't need easy permanent access necessarily just want to dump a skyrim mod folder, ssh is the thing?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Why can't you just use warpinator?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mescal posted:

yeah i don't need easy permanent access necessarily just want to dump a skyrim mod folder, ssh is the thing?

I used anydesk. It has an annoying 30 minute session limit and can't seem to see the SD card in the file explorer for some reason, but it also gave me remote access control of the deck with my laptop which came in handy for a whole bunch of things.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Mescal posted:

that sounds like a lot of files i would probably just use an external drive.

Cowman posted:

Why can't you just use warpinator?

what is warpinator and why is it better than file sharing methods built into the operating system?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CRAYON posted:

what is warpinator and why is it better than file sharing methods built into the operating system?

running three commands is scary:

passwd
sudo systemctl enable sshd

(i lied there's no third command. btw the user when you connect is "deck")

here's something you can use to transfer files from windows after you have ssh enabled: https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

Or by all means keep loving around with weird trial software

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Warpinator blows and never works. Just turn on ssh and SFTP in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

if sshd is up scp should work too, like scp -r my_mod_folder deck@<deck ip>:/wherever/mods/go

probably no different or easier than sftp though

(e) unless SteamOS does something funky with a custom systemd or something to protect users, you probably really don't want to use sudo systemctl enable sshd because that will make sshd start on boot. use sudo systemctl start sshd instead to only start it for the current boot

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 28, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Yeah Warpinator is for people allergic to command lines entirely. It worked alright for me when I used it, but files go to warpinator's folder and then you have to move them again.

Once you enable ssh you can just winscp/filezilla/whatever sftp client in and drop stuff right where it's gonna be. Also if you need to run any commands you can then just ssh in. I think Windows even includes an openssh client by default now so you can just run ssh from cmd or the terminal, which is handy for doing random command-line stuff.

Ciaphas posted:

(e) unless SteamOS does something funky with a custom systemd or something to protect users, you probably really don't want to use sudo systemctl enable sshd because that will make sshd start on boot. use sudo systemctl start sshd instead to only start it for the current boot

True, if you are connecting the deck to a big network or any network where there are untrusted clients you will not want sshd running, particularly if you only do the minimum by setting a passwd. The OS does not firewall it off and you probably gave your Deck a simple password like I did, and it is possible someone could brute-force their way in and do nasty things like install malware or steal your Steam login tokens.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 28, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't had a single issue with winpinator and clicking an app is easier to me than running a command for the few times I need to move files over. If I was moving stuff daily I'd probably use command line stuff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

you probably really don't want to use sudo systemctl enable sshd because that will make sshd start on boot.
Folks should be aware that it does this, but having sshd running all the time is pretty convenient because then you can copy files and stuff in game mode without having to boot into desktop mode first.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Folks should be aware that it does this, but having sshd running all the time is pretty convenient because then you can copy files and stuff in game mode without having to boot into desktop mode first.

sure, until a bad actor finds out you've left the keys in the door

(to be clear it's fine if you're behind a router in private, not so much if you're being portable with it)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

sure, until a bad actor finds out you've left the keys in the door

(to be clear it's fine if you're behind a router in private, not so much if you're being portable with it)

pick a password that's better than "password" and you're fine. 90% of SSH login attempts are for the root user (who has SSH login disabled by default on pretty much everything these days), the remainder is mostly "pi" and a few other common usernames.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fair enough, i'll keep my paranoia to myself lol

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Been really digging the Steam Deck the past few weeks. Besides exercise its just a great JRPG machine.

I kinda hope they have a Premium version someday with OLED and Hall Effect joysticks etc...

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone had a isse with the Steam Deck not fully starting and constantly running into a fatal error can't write to storage error?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I spent most of the evening playing Skies of Arcadia Legends on the sofa while docked. I'm wanting to play JRPGs again in a way I haven't in years.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve never bothered trying to emulate DS/3DS on anything but man it works so well on the steam deck I’m gonna play so many games

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

^^^^^ bravely Default and bravely second were built for the Deck

Steam Deck is the way and the truth

As evidenced by how many games I stopped playing because they’re not on the deck. Good thing GW2 launched on steam when it did

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is there any way to make the action sets pop up their name when they’re activated? I enabled that option but when I swap through them I get nothing.

The other option is to add my emulator games as individual games on steam and set their controls separately, but I’d rather just use the emulator window to janitor my roms.

I’m playing through some ps1 rpgs with duckstation and they don’t have an auto-run option so I’m using the outer ring command to make it auto run. But of course that doesn’t work for action games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also to be fair on the JRPG front, a lot of people said the same about the Switch when it launched and its still true, JRPGs just work better on a handheld for us unfortunate people with responsibilities.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can confirm that using sftp is like the ftp method we used before but easier

Instead of doing a python thing every time you want to move a file, you do a thing once and then as long as your deck is on, whatever ftp client you had been using before can find it with no extra steps

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Duckstation really doesn't play well with the Syncthing process I wrote up before btw; I've been using Beetle PSX and it's pretty seamless but people can get pretty opinionated on emulation cores so ymmv

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Kin posted:

I used anydesk. It has an annoying 30 minute session limit and can't seem to see the SD card in the file explorer for some reason, but it also gave me remote access control of the deck with my laptop which came in handy for a whole bunch of things.

You can fix this with FlatSeal-- just need to give AnyDesk explicit permissions to access /run/media (at least in my experience, definitely not a Linux expert).

I imagine SSH is the best solution for file transfer, but AnyDesk being able to do that and control the Deck w/o a mouse and keyboard has made it my go-to whenever I'm not planning to spend a lot of time in desktop mode. I remember reading some stuff about limits under the free edition but I haven't run into them yet-- sounds like that's where the 30 minute limit may hit you

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm a little confused as to why WinSCP isn't more popular? I set a custom password for the deck user and I log in via that and transfer any files I want to.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Anyone having trouble saving settings in KDE desktop mode? In particular, certain settings in Energy Savings under Power Management reset after I apply them and leave the menu. Seems like like this only happens for settings that are checked by default (like when you hit reset to default or whatever it says).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm a little confused as to why WinSCP isn't more popular? I set a custom password for the deck user and I log in via that and transfer any files I want to.
WinSCP is a SFTP client (SCP also but I think SFTP is the default, and also the difference between the two is, slight). Its all the same thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Disappointing Pie posted:

Been really digging the Steam Deck the past few weeks. Besides exercise its just a great JRPG machine.

I kinda hope they have a Premium version someday with OLED and Hall Effect joysticks etc...

Can't help you with the OLED issue, but I installed these Hall Effect joystick replacements today in about 45 minutes including being dumb with the soldering iron. They're perfectly centered after calibration so I got to move my dead zones down to zero.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I decided today was the day to gently caress around with decky but apparently the latest OS update has broken it so it doesn’t work, what terrible timing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly with 1 million+ of these things in the wild I’d be willing to put money on a company making an OLED drop in replacement for the deck.

It’s probably gonna be expensive AF but I bet it happens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I reassembled my Deck I somehow mixed up the screws so the one I had left over for the back shield was too thin to fasten to the provided hole. I guess I'll have to take everything apart again to figure out which 3.52mm vs 3.57mm screw is in the wrong spot. I knew I should have numbered them coming out...

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

running the update tool for emudeck re-installs & overwrites everything huh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tweak posted:

running the update tool for emudeck re-installs & overwrites everything huh

Yeah, it's never seemed to really "update" for me instead of just reinstalling again.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Definitely souring on anydesk, the 'you smell like a commercial user' messages are getting increasingly menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Found a decent deal on a portable monitor that might be useful for a portable Dreck setup for those interested. It's $100 refurb'd from Woot, FHD and IPS. HDMI input, either directly or via Alt Mode over USB-C, and it has 2 USB-C ports for passthrough power or the source device can power the monitor (which uses <10 W max.) It'd also work with the Switch if you have a portable dock setup.

I got this a couple days ago, tried it on the Dreck, and it worked great! I had my first gaming session using an external monitor and the Dreck just as the controller, playing Snowrunner. I mean it's not an amazing monitor or anything, but it's functional for $100 (and also worked as expected connected to this Chromebook) and is very portable. It supports passthrough power in both configurations, i.e. Power->Host->Monitor or Power->Monitor->Host due to having those two USB-C ports; with a 45 W PSU the Dreck reported itself recharging its battery in the 20-30 W range, which is typical. As I wrote above, the Switch uses HDMI (with the dock) so it'd also function perfectly with that as the source.