Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cool

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

kalel posted:

sounds like some people are having trouble getting into the magic 30 spirit

Probably because they couldn't afford the ticket

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I like this guy a lot. Aggressive red creatures that generate card advantage if they're blocked? Sign me the gently caress up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
so they still haven't figured out a spectator mode for arena?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Monastery Swiftspear reprint in Bro let’s go!!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bros War seems like a super pushed set, which I'm here for

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Newferi seems nuts

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
swiftie is very exciting to me as long as it's not in another loving izzet deck

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

bad news i'm pretty sure any fast izzet deck likes a hasty low drop with prowess

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

edit: new card previews seem to be very slowly trickling out

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Cool art for both

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Wait is that a commander card what is that set icon

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Time posted:

The artifact mystical archives thing they are doing with the set

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Time posted:

Yeah it's just for the retro artifacts.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
It's one per draft booster like the Mystical Archives in STX, so legal in Limited and Modern(?)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

here is swiftspear new art.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

wei posted:

It's one per draft booster like the Mystical Archives in STX, so legal in Limited and Modern(?)

i think the mystic archives kept all their regular legalities

they're confirmed to be on arena like the archives so rev up your gladiator engines

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

wei posted:

And historic for arena, subject to bans.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

precision posted:

are they ever gonna make "this creature can't block" a keyword? it's almost as common as Defender by now, let's start saving some room on cards

They can call it Unblockable

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

edit: new card previews seem to be very slowly trickling out

They will be all through the convention this weekend

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Walls are to Defender what Coward should be to whatever abiulity you're theorycrafting

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The best thing to play with Swiftspear outside of burn and pump is cheap cards that let you draw and play more cards so…

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Walls are to Defender what Coward should be to whatever abiulity you're theorycrafting

Man Battlebond was a great set and super fun with a friend for limited

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lotus petal in the artificer's archive sounds pretty nutter butters for historic

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you cast a destroy instant/sorcery on a creature with a death trigger, is that card in the graveyard when the trigger goes off or is it still on the stack?

Specifically Saw in Half and Cormela. If you saw her in half, can the original dying Cormela choose Saw in Half? 9 times out of 10 this won't matter because you have a second Cormela dying to the legend rule right after, but what if you had a Mirror Box in play or something?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Watching the MTG Twitch stream, loving lol playing Arena and not actual cards in front of each other.

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Only upside being that there's no obnoxious unnecessary shuffling of your hand, but also no idiots trying to cheat with slight of hand tricks and marked decks.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 28, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jiro posted:

Watching the MTG Twitch stream, loving lol playing Arena and not actual cards in front of each other.

I tried to watch some old paper tournament coverage, which I used to watch a ton of, and I have absolutely no patience for it after experiencing Arena tournaments

*cracks fetch, shuffling begins, turn off stream*

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jiro posted:

Only upside being that there's no obnoxious unnecessary shuffling of your hand, but also no idiots trying to cheat with slight of hand tricks and marked decks.

Grandpa, they've been doing this for years.

• It's more socially distant
• It enforces rules
• It's easier for stream to follow
• It shows both players hand at all times
• It is faster
• It is a big advert for Arena

There's literally no reason to stream paper magic in any format that Arena supports.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toshimo posted:

Grandpa, they've been doing this for years.

• It's more socially distant
• It enforces rules
• It's easier for stream to follow
• It is faster
• It is a big advert for Arena

There's literally no reason to stream paper magic in any format that Arena supports.

What a terrible opinion. Watching paper on stream is a FAR better viewing experience to arena which is homogenous and boring.

That being said I love that Baloth is coming to standard. gently caress you Liliana.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Toshimo posted:

They still do this by splicing the second player's stream onto the first player's. you'd think for their flagship program they use to run their world championships they'd have made a spectator mode.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

They still do this by splicing the second player's stream onto the first player's. you'd think for their flagship program they use to run their world championships they'd have made a spectator mode.

That's true. It does need a spectator mode, but at least it's doing that instead of leaving us guessing like paper.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mcmagic posted:

What a terrible opinion. Watching paper on stream is a FAR better viewing experience to arena which is homogenous and boring.

That being said I love that Baloth is coming to standard. gently caress you Liliana.

what do you think the word homogenous means

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Aphrodite posted:

If you cast a destroy instant/sorcery on a creature with a death trigger, is that card in the graveyard when the trigger goes off or is it still on the stack?

The cards destroyed and be spell that destroyed them are all put in the graveyard as part of the resolution, and are there when the trigger goes off and looks for targets.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I find watching players play on Arena a lot more enjoyable of an experience for a big tournament but I only got back into Magic around 2019 with Arena coming back.

I tried watching older vods of people in tournaments and without the ability to quickly register what cards are what it was difficult for me. But fun to see people's reactions in real time!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Honestly i do think arena is more instantly grokkable but taking away all the social aspects of playing the game is very blah, theres no way to dramatically flip over the top card or do any kind of theatrics

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Love the broad applicability, not sure it's efficient enough to make it. Definitely getting one for Cube.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
drat an anthem with a removal spell bolted on, that's gonna be really nice in Standard I'm sure.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's cool, but not really sure why it needed to be mythic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's cool, but not really sure why it needed to be mythic

so it doesn't singlehandedly demolish every limited game it's played in, i'd assume