Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wow what the gently caress app?

quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

E: lol of course the bottom of the chart is cropped, click through

never!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I have officially changed my opinion from "the Bruins are going to struggle to make the playoffs this year" to "the Bruins are going to win another Cup for Bergeron"

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Florida has been playing a lot better lately, and Carolina still looks great. The Rangers look better, too. You'd think Toronto/Tampa will pick it up at some point.

The rest of the East looks pretty meh so far even if some of the bad teams are vastly improved.

Burning question: Are the Caps dropping out of the playoffs for the Devils or Senators?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thanks for this.

Also than you everyone for links and options, but I'm sure I'd have to pay money to dig deeper. Money Puck did have a good level of detail for part of what I'm looking to find at least. It helps with the frustration of watching shot after piss poor shot not barely bother Demko last night. Well over half their shots are from low quality chances, and when they do get close, there are few second chances until you get to the third period.

The shot map is just Hakstol hockey. :shrug:

At least the Minnesota v Ottawa game was really pretty good. The Sens are going to be pretty good this year, and all it took was Daddy Scrooge to die. And another Tkachuk decided he needed to fight Matt Dumba after a clean open ice hit on the puck. The fighting after clean hits is getting really annoying. I wish they'd toss more instigators into the mix when someone "defends" the guy who just got hit. If the guy who gets hit wants to get up and fight about it, that's at least the two people involved in it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

T-Bone posted:

Florida has been playing a lot better lately, and Carolina still looks great. The Rangers look better, too. You'd think Toronto/Tampa will pick it up at some point.

The rest of the East looks pretty meh so far even if some of the bad teams are vastly improved.

Burning question: Are the Caps dropping out of the playoffs for the Devils or Senators?

The Caps are absolutely falling out of playoff contention. Their depth players have been great and Kuemper has been the improvement they hoped for, but the core has dropped off noticeably. Carlson has been trash. Ovi has only 1 goal 5 on 5 so far. Brown is out indefinitely. They can't even win a faceoff. Looks grim!

It is funny though to look at the standings and see Philly leading the Metro and Buffalo, Ottawa, NJ and Detroit tied for the wildcard.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

Rangers are playing better but getting poo poo results right now :argh:

Stupid analytics

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

WHY ARE THE DOGSHIT GARBAGE FLYERS ON TOP OF THE METRO. THIS IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WANTED.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

triple sulk posted:

WHY ARE THE DOGSHIT GARBAGE FLYERS ON TOP OF THE METRO. THIS IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WANTED.

It’s probably cause of Torts, lol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

triple sulk posted:

First they finish 9th in the conference and miss out on Bedard, and then they suffer the Torts Collapse

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

You'd think Toronto/Tampa will pick it up at some point.

More of a hope than think, at this point. A bunch of eggheads said they still think Matthews will win the Richard again but I'm not so sure that I share their confidence. He's playing well enough but it's unclear if he has lingering wrist troubles and is forcing himself to take one-timers instead of sick wicked wristers.

Also Mark Giordano has not been on for a single 5v5 GA but I'm expecting the defense's mediocre xGA to catch up to them when Samsonov crashes back down to Earth.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

T-Bone posted:

You'd think Toronto/Tampa will pick it up at some point.

For what it's worth the Leafs look like garbage, turns out not addressing the D at all in the offseason is kind of a big deal. The top 6 has been a little snakebitten or whatever but all of Sandin/Holl/Mete are predictably dreadful. Also Muzzin spent all last year either injured or sucking terribly and apparently management just expected that to... not continue? For some reason?

Sometime in November with Liljegren/Benn back maybe things get a little better but there's gonna be a lot of frustrating Leafs games in store for at least another couple weeks I think.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

First they finish 9th in the conference and miss out on Bedard, and then they suffer the Torts Collapse

Can’t miss out on Bedard if you trade your first at the deadline for a rental.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The flyers were never going to get Bedard and honestly even if Bettman froze their ping pong ball or whatever I do not at all trust anyone in that front office to draft him

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Sometime in November with Liljegren/Benn back maybe things get a little better but there's gonna be a lot of frustrating Leafs games in store for at least another couple weeks I think.

Wait, we're holding out hope for Jordie Benn now?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Hart rocking a .950 and 8 GSAA already while the Flyers post a sub 40% xG is both insane and very Flyers. Only Dallas and Buffalo post higher all situation PDOs.

New York is on the correct side of most every metric except actual outcomes. They currently post the worst all situation shooting% in the league and 4th worst 5v5. That should even out eventually and they'll be back to annoyingly good. Toronto is interesting because they aren't underperforming their fancies by that much. The 5v5 shooting is 3rd worst currently, but it's balanced by their .925 sv% so only a PDO of 99 vs NYRs 97.

With some time this afternoon I'm hoping to compile some random thoughts on the Pens 'cause the team has been incredibly Jeckyl/Hyde within every game.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 28, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Didn't the Rangers have the same finishing issues last year?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Didn't the Rangers have the same finishing issues last year?

I think he's talking about the Islanders but maybe I'm wrong. The Rangers last year had notably good finishing iirc? I thought their whole gimmick was being bad analytically but having strong finishing ability and an outrageously good goalie

Though also if memory serves the Rangers improved analytically after the deadline

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Predeadline their big problem was poor 5v5 play last year.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I've always wondered. In the NBA former GM John Hollinger had the expression "take the clubs out the bag"

Trade the GRITTY VETERANS so the coach is basically forced to play his prospects. I can't think I've seen this happen in the NBA. Does anyone do this?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Isentropy posted:

I've always wondered. In the NBA former GM John Hollinger had the expression "take the clubs out the bag"

Trade the GRITTY VETERANS so the coach is basically forced to play his prospects. I can't think I've seen this happen in the NBA. Does anyone do this?

Montreal and Chicago are doing a fair attempt at it this year. Not all of the vets of course, but it’s been clear they’ve dumped as much dead weight that they could to play cheap prospects and ELCs.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Jhet posted:

Montreal and Chicago are doing a fair attempt at it this year. Not all of the vets of course, but it’s been clear they’ve dumped as much dead weight that they could to play cheap prospects and ELCs.

Yup that answers it. Chicago especially is all but hinting they want the vets to get out the door and trade them somewhere favourable. Montreal has too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
As soon as Carter Hart's pumpkin bursts for the third consecutive year the Flyers will comfortably settle into 10th-15th

poo poo, even if he gets back to his .915 days they're gonna be bad still

quote:

With some time this afternoon I'm hoping to compile some random thoughts on the Pens 'cause the team has been incredibly Jeckyl/Hyde within every game.

Yeah these were exact words I was typing for the Pens in that post but I didn't want to summon 3 pages of Doomer Pittsburgh chat

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 28, 2022

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rangers are shooting 7.4% against a league average of 10.1%, so that's in reference to them. They've run into bad luck, but there's also some apparent issues.

First, Halak has let in quite a few soft goals. He's 37 and his save percentage has been below league average in his 19 and 17 starts in the last two years. He might just not be an NHL goalie anymore.

Second, the third pairing are two 21-year-olds (actually, Zac Jones just turned 22 a few days ago) with 43 and 22 games of NHL experience. There's going to be growing pains, but their 7th D who gets spot duty is 24-year old "veteran" Libor Hajek in his 5th season, having played 94 games across the previous four seasons. Braden Schneider might be hitting a sophomore slump, especially without a veteran partner. There's no way to get the kids experience other than playing them, and a veteran 6/7 is an easy deadline acquisition, but the third pairing is also impacted heavily by playing a lot with...

The fourth line, which is bad. Really bad. Ryan Reaves is a locker room leader but not an NHL player. Ryan Carpenter has some utility as a PKer and has some good moments where he gets the puck in the neutral zone, but he doesn't pass the eye test and the stats point to him being atrocious but great at defense. Sammy Blais has not looked good, but he also missed nearly a full year so he'll get a pass while he acclimates to playing again. The problem is, the third pairing and fourth line are atrocious and seem to be accountable for a goal against every night.

I'd give Domingue and Rydahl a few games to see how things work out, but the club is trying to accrue some cap space before the deadline, so they're not keen on hitting the cap.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Wait, we're holding out hope for Jordie Benn now?

The baseline is "better than Victor Mete" and hope is the active word

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Rangers are shooting 7.4% against a league average of 10.1%, so that's in reference to them. They've run into bad luck, but there's also some apparent issues.

First, Halak has let in quite a few soft goals. He's 37 and his save percentage has been below league average in his 19 and 17 starts in the last two years. He might just not be an NHL goalie anymore.

Second, the third pairing are two 21-year-olds (actually, Zac Jones just turned 22 a few days ago) with 43 and 22 games of NHL experience. There's going to be growing pains, but their 7th D who gets spot duty is 24-year old "veteran" Libor Hajek in his 5th season, having played 94 games across the previous four seasons. Braden Schneider might be hitting a sophomore slump, especially without a veteran partner. There's no way to get the kids experience other than playing them, and a veteran 6/7 is an easy deadline acquisition, but the third pairing is also impacted heavily by playing a lot with...

The fourth line, which is bad. Really bad. Ryan Reaves is a locker room leader but not an NHL player. Ryan Carpenter has some utility as a PKer and has some good moments where he gets the puck in the neutral zone, but he doesn't pass the eye test and the stats point to him being atrocious but great at defense. Sammy Blais has not looked good, but he also missed nearly a full year so he'll get a pass while he acclimates to playing again. The problem is, the third pairing and fourth line are atrocious and seem to be accountable for a goal against every night.

I'd give Domingue and Rydahl a few games to see how things work out, but the club is trying to accrue some cap space before the deadline, so they're not keen on hitting the cap.

Yeah and I'm not sure that it's a case of "low percentage shots propping up their analytics", they've got some real good looks but haven't been finishing them. So...ultimately just have to work through it.

Dunno how the analytics grade out for the third pairing and fourth line. They need to sit Reaves for a bit at least and run a faster 4th line. Chytil getting hurt (again) also weakens that 3rd line a lot and puts more pressure on the top six.

They're not going to just ditch Reaves this year completely but I think he needs to take a seat for awhile.

I dunno, it's a frustrating start int hat they are doing a lot of thigns right but not all the things right at the same time

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Rangers are shooting 2% lower than last year at 5v5 (6.5 vs 8.6) and receiving .902 instead of .926. goaltending. Improve the shooting and they're fine. Improve both and they're back to last year. Their undrelyings are good and if I have some time and sobriety I can take a look at their depth forward numbers. After I do the Pens thing. Sorry T-Bone. For now we're about 10% into the season so I was going to do a very quick and ugly full league 'How things are looking and would I be worried'.

Anaheim - Still re-building. If they were supposed to turn the corner they haven't and instead hit a wall.
Arizona - Exactly who we thought they would be. Worst team in the NHL and should remain that way.
Boston - Better than I thought they would be. Excellent underlyings. Performing to what spreadsheet says they should.
Buffalo - 55% goals for on 45% xG. PDO monsters. Music stops at some point.
Calgary - Over-performing on their finishing so far. Lots of coinflip in their stats. Weak division, but still trying to get going and gel. Played an extremely difficult schedule so far with only the Knights and Sabres as non-playoff teams so far. So I would expect them to improve in the fancies.
Carolina - Scoring more than they should, but not in a concerning way. Who we thought they would be.
Chicago - Bad. As expected.
Colorado - Dealing with injuries. Goaltending has propped up their 5% shooting. Putting points on the board. Wouldn't worry.
Columbus - 45% goals for 49% xG shooting 11% but getting .876 sv%. They bad. Might be a little better. Not much though.

That's all the time for now tune in next time......

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1586069976578158592?t=5d1VHMdmvm_MSLqjX4m3Sw&s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

things continue to go great at Arizona state

https://twitter.com/ryanjlind/status/1586016248931835904

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Rangers are shooting 2% lower than last year at 5v5 (6.5 vs 8.6) and receiving .902 instead of .926. goaltending. Improve the shooting and they're fine. Improve both and they're back to last year. Their undrelyings are good and if I have some time and sobriety I can take a look at their depth forward numbers. After I do the Pens thing. Sorry T-Bone. For now we're about 10% into the season so I was going to do a very quick and ugly full league 'How things are looking and would I be worried'.

Igor has also had that weird thing with goalies where when he faces a ton of shots he's really good, if he faces less than 30 then he's had more trouble getting locked in and making the big saves when they come, so that might be an adjustment for him if that keeps up.

And yeah, Halak had a good game against Winipeg but has struggled in his other starts

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'll be interested to see your indepth analysis but a cursory look at the Pens analytical numbers indicates they're fine. They've 8th in 5v5 expected goals. They do have some disturbing trends like being 17th in 5v5 shot attempt(corsi)%, and Dumoulin/Carter having sub 50% xgoals at 5v5. The Dumoulin part being particularly troubling because the Pens are relying on him as a top pair defenseman and he is dragging that pair down.

But I guess despite their poor ranking in shot attempts they're still doing well in terms of expected goals.

From a game by game basis they carried xgoals against Ari/Tb/Cgy(what?)/Cbj and were behind against La/Edmonton/Montreal(lol)

I don't really get how they won the xgoal battle against Calgary but I guess they played well enough after that really bad first period.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Rangers have been pretty unlucky I think they will even out. I would like to remodel that 4th line tho, obviously the 3rd line is what it is with injuries right now but we don’t need to be playing Carpenter and Reaves every night. Blais has looked totally lost I think it’s almost time to start getting worried about him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

WeaponX posted:

Rangers have been pretty unlucky I think they will even out. I would like to remodel that 4th line tho, obviously the 3rd line is what it is with injuries right now but we don’t need to be playing Carpenter and Reaves every night. Blais has looked totally lost I think it’s almost time to start getting worried about him.

I think Blais will come around but using him on the fourth line for now is best
I would rather get a look at Rydhal at this point than keep running carpenter out there but that might take awhile to convince the coach

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

That's... not bad?

I mean, I don't know why the Canucks keep picking up lovely centres, but getting Ethan Bear with salary retained will probably be okay.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't understand why Carolina extended Bear in the first place. At least he'll get a chance now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

eXXon posted:

I don't understand why Carolina extended Bear in the first place. At least he'll get a chance now.

The bar for Bear to succeed in Vancouver is low. Like, really low. Like, Jules-Verne-Journey-To-The-Centre-Of-The-Earth low.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Correction: the hope is now that the Leafs will get back a defenseman better than Filip Král in the near future

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1586090940187299840?s=20&t=x-lEo5eshJlrEAeQucP-Sw

Only took Keefe 4 games to realize that Victor Mete is indistinguishable from random AHL garbage

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Whats up with Lucas Raymond and why is he stinking up my fantasy team. I can see he's getting like 20 minutes a night but he's not doing anything.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I should probably mention that Calen Addison is turning out to be a good offensive defenseman. He’s great on the PP this year and aside from taking a couple penalties against Ottawa he’s been playing well defensively as well. (I’m ignoring the first three games of the Minnesota season, they appear to have been outliers possibly.) I don’t know that he’d have been given the time to develop in Pittsburgh, but I’m feeling like that trade worked out in at least that direction. Zucker is at least making the scoresheet in the other direction this year.

I can see Beniers winning the Calder this year already though. He’s playing well and scoring even with the Kraken’s issues. It won’t surprise me if Addison does get some votes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rasmussen got 2 games for high sticking Krejci