Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Did Worf ever actually stop a security threat in The Next Generation?

I was going to point out him going :black101: on multiple Borg drones while doing a space-walk but technically that's not during TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

(Honestly a warp core shouldn't really be much bigger a boom than a few torpedoes. The core's just a way to explode antimatter 'safely' inside the ship in a way you can channel as energy. Torpedoes are a similar bunch of antimatter designed to kaboom.)

Please don't tell Shaxx that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Just Insurrection. Well, that wasn't really a weapon, but they needed to use it to seal up a subspace rift.

(Honestly a warp core shouldn't really be much bigger a boom than a few torpedoes. The core's just a way to explode antimatter 'safely' inside the ship in a way you can channel as energy. Torpedoes are a similar bunch of antimatter designed to kaboom. Nuclear reactor vs Nuclear bomb.)

For all Insurrection's faults, "There's nothing to stop them from doing it again... and we're fresh outta warp cores." is a loving great line, especially coupled with that pan up over Geordi's shoulder to show the empty space in Engineering where the E's warp core was just a few seconds ago.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like insurrection.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

External Organs posted:

I like insurrection.

Its very serviceable two hour episode of TNG.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Its very serviceable two hour episode of TNG.

Which makes it by far and away the best of the TNG films

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Worf getting a pimple is extremely TNG season 8

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

MikeJF posted:

Voyager does it like four times, it's lucky their warp core was easy to reinsert.

The E dumps their core in Insurrection, but we don't see it eject, we just see it tumbling away in space. And the JJPrise dumps theirs in Trek 09.

Also not exactly a hero ship but we do get to see the Delta Flyer's pop out.

Disco did it at the end of Season 3 - we got to see a highly explosive warp core bounce off the walls as it fell out of the ship!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zaroff posted:

Disco did it at the end of Season 3 - we got to see a highly explosive warp core bounce off the walls as it fell out of the ship!

And then it exploded with one of those explosions where it explodes a bit and then sucks everything back in and then explodes really big.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I liked Insurrection as a kid but I don't know if that makes it a good movie

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

According to modern media criticism that makes it the best movie.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I actually kind of liked the 'Riker trims his beard' subplot from Insurrection, though Riker isn't Riker without The Beard.

That's the only part of the movie that sticks out in my mind at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow firing phasers at warp? Big error from the LDS team.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Brawnfire posted:

Lieutenant Quail is gay as Christmas but as long as Ensign Priscilla stays keen on him nobody on the Farragut needs to know

Why are the Kraftwerk robots on the bridge?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow firing phasers at warp? Big error from the LDS team.

We've always seen that, just rarely. It seems like you gotta get in relatively close, probably close enough that the warp fields are touching so you can fire through. Whenever there's a major distance they use torpedoes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Insurrection was on Amazon Prime last year and I watched it for the first time since I was like a teenager and I still quite enjoyed it. It it one of those movies where I don't give a poo poo if it's bad or not just because it's so fun, to me at least. I've never had a bad time watching it. And yeah, maybe a large part of that is that it always feels like it's the summer of 1999 and I'm watching it and First Contact on a back-to-back VHS marathon while I'm on summer vacation from school.

Though I've found that a lot lately about the TNG movies is that I judge them by how they make me feel more than anything. Generations makes me feel all schmatzy and warm, so I give it a pass. First Contact is legit great, so it slides off the grading curve. Insurrection makes me feel excited because it's a dumb action movie and I love dumb action movies. And Nemesis just makes me feel miserable and depressed, so it's the worst Trek movie ever until I realize that Into Darkness also exists and is just as existentially depressing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know think I can form any decent opinion on Insurrection any more because all I can think of is Jonathan Frakes just outright voicing the question (about a movie he directed!) "Why are all the Baku blond white people?" in the commentary. Like not even if that's a bad thing or not, I just can't not think about it now.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The less-than-stellar Star Trek movies are the best ones for watching with commentary track on.

Especially Nemesis since everyone on the cast knew from the beginning that the new director was an asshat who got the job as a favor from Paramount, and this was going to be a wild ride as the last show. And then PatStew nixed the idea of movie being "last meeting of the family" and Spiner didn't care for anything else than getting Data killed. Both of them being executive producers.

ST11 was never going to be about TNG, it was going to be an ENT movie until the entire franchise collapsed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Kyhe posted:

And then PatStew nixed the idea of movie being "last meeting of the family" and Spiner didn't care for anything else than getting Data killed. Both of them being executive producers.

Neither Stewart nor Spiner ever had an executive producer credit on a Trek movie. Stewart's sole production credit was associate producer on Insurrection, which formalized his contractual creative control on the movies (he had a heavy hand in the writing of First Contact, to the point that he brought in a hand-picked writer, Ross LaManna of Rush Hour fame, to rewrite Moore and Braga, though most of LaManna's work wound up being thrown out). Spiner's additional credit for Nemesis was a "story by" credit shared with Berman and Logan; Spiner's demand for Nemesis was that he have the same level of creative input that Stewart had had on Insurrection; Stewart's sole input on Nemesis was the insertion of the dune buggy scene, otherwise he had almost no direction on the story or script.

quote:

ST11 was never going to be about TNG, it was going to be an ENT movie until the entire franchise collapsed.

Not quite. The Beginning, by Berman and Erik Jendresen, was set something like five years after Terra Prime and would have shown the Earth-Romulan War, but it would not have featured any Enterprise characters. The lead character, Tiberius Chase, was described in the script as a distant relative of James T. Kirk.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 28, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Timby posted:

Not quite. The Beginning, by Berman and Erik Jendresen, was set something like five years after Terra Prime and would have shown the Earth-Romulan War, but it would not have featured any Enterprise characters. The lead character, Tiberius Chase, was described in the script as a distant relative of James T. Kirk.

This one I want to argue (because the other points were my hazy memories from that 50y mission book set I read last year), Scott Bakula said on an interview that ENT movie was in works. Maybe it turned into that one?

EDIT: That specific thing I do remember because the books made a point that this didn't materialize and the franchise went to hiatus until the Kelvin movies came to be. The books end with DISCO being in preproduction.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 28, 2022

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Feldegast42 posted:

I liked the Legend of Zelda cartoon as a kid and that thing loving sucked.

Kids are dumb.

However I’d watch Insurrection a thousand times back to back then ever see a single episode of Star Trek Picard.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Lieutenant Quail is gay as Christmas but as long as Ensign Priscilla stays keen on him nobody on the Farragut needs to know

Trying to read that text is probably close to what having a stroke feels like.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey, my grammar's not perfect, but--oh in the picture? Right, yeah...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Ambassador-Class onscreen filming model is being auctioned off this week.

Not the one used for the Enterprise-C: they built a second one to represent non-damaged Ambassador classes.

Also Q's Admiral uniform. :allears:

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-details/index/catalog/318/lot/95200?uact=5&aid=318&lid=95202&current_page=0

Timby posted:

The funny thing is that sounds like an interesting movie, it would have been absolutely a failure at the time because nobody would have cared, but in today's world of multiple ST/SW/Marvel series and movies in a greater universe, it would be a perfect Paramount+ movie or miniseries now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Heh, the tag they put on it spelled his name wrong

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

I realize that Into Darkness also exists and is just as existentially depressing.

Into Darkness is four-fifths of a drat good movie that's ruined by an incredibly stupid ending.

The original Wrath of Khan works because Khan has a very good reason to feel wrath toward James T. Kirk.

That's not the case here. The movie seemed to be building toward cleverly inverting The Wrath of Khan by having Kirk and Khan parting as something like friends, maybe with Khan, Carol Marcus and his crew leaving on the Vengeance or something. Then something can be set up to do a real Wrath of Khan movie later or not.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

Trying to read that text is probably close to what having a stroke feels like.

THE TERGR'MEEP

OSIRE DIMEARY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ugly bags of mostly water

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Everyone posted:

Into Darkness is four-fifths of a drat good movie that's ruined by an incredibly stupid ending.

The original Wrath of Khan works because Khan has a very good reason to feel wrath toward James T. Kirk.

That's not the case here. The movie seemed to be building toward cleverly inverting The Wrath of Khan by having Kirk and Khan parting as something like friends, maybe with Khan, Carol Marcus and his crew leaving on the Vengeance or something. Then something can be set up to do a real Wrath of Khan movie later or not.

Or you know just have him be an augment and not literally Khan. Or they should've just made it about Where No Man Has Gone Before. ID has so much bad like the loving dress uniforms that are lifted from Starship Troopers even beyond how they mishandle Khan.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eimi posted:

like the loving dress uniforms that are lifted from Starship Troopers

god I forgot how wildly stupid and funny those were

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eimi posted:

Or you know just have him be an augment and not literally Khan. Or they should've just made it about Where No Man Has Gone Before. ID has so much bad like the loving dress uniforms that are lifted from Starship Troopers even beyond how they mishandle Khan.
It would have salvaged the movie if he was another Augment instead. Then you can have him be whoever and it's not just rehashing WoK again for the 5th time. But no, we have to have Kirk call up Old Spock for him to say that Khan was dangerous, even though the situations are completely different

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Heh, the tag they put on it spelled his name wrong

"De Lancey"

I was kind of hoping they'd labelled it "R"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

It would have salvaged the movie if he was another Augment instead. Then you can have him be whoever and it's not just rehashing WoK again for the 5th time. But no, we have to have Kirk call up Old Spock for him to say that Khan was dangerous, even though the situations are completely different

gently caress it. Let the dude be Caine Noonien Singh, Khan's brother who lead the crew after Khan snuffed it or something.

Or just have it turn out that Old Spock was wrong. That yeah, Khan is dangerous (obviously) but he isn't truly evil or necessarily untrustworthy. Except that Abrams had to have a stupid repeat of The Wrath of Khan even though Into Darkness makes much more sense as "The Wrath of Kirk" with Kirk having to struggle through his own desire for justice/vengeance against the man responsible for Pike's death to find the real threat to Starfleet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Everyone posted:

Or just have it turn out that Old Spock was wrong. That yeah, Khan is dangerous (obviously) but he isn't truly evil or necessarily untrustworthy. Except that Abrams had to have a stupid repeat of The Wrath of Khan even though Into Darkness makes much more sense as "The Wrath of Kirk" with Kirk having to struggle through his own desire for justice/vengeance against the man responsible for Pike's death to find the real threat to Starfleet.

Khan was Lindelof's push, he insisted upon it after Orci and Kurtzman had considered but ultimately rejected the idea (Orci was more obsessed with pushing his 9/11 truther bullshit). Abrams gets far too much undeserved poo poo for scripts that were handled by Orci and Kurtzman (and, for Into Darkness, Lindelof as well).

And, really, Into Darkness doesn't rehash Wrath of Khan much at all outside of the "hero dies fixing the warp engines then says goodbye from behind a physical separation." Nemesis is far, far more guilty of rehashing past Trek and just giving it a very sloppily applied coat of different-colored paint.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Into Darkness wasn't a great movie and Quinto's Spock has shrunk on me, but I did enjoy seeing some Vulcan rage on Benedict Cumberbatch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

Into Darkness wasn't a great movie and Quinto's Spock has shrunk on me, but I did enjoy seeing some Vulcan rage on Benedict Cumberbatch.

I'll always maintain that the moment where Khan shrugs off the Vulcan neck pinch and it only manages to piss him off even more is a far better establishing signifier for his character than basically anything else in the movie. It's such a great little moment of brilliance in an otherwise schlocky film.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nemesis is the only TNG movie I haven't seen. I actually heard on this podcast War Rocket Ajax they like the movie. Should I watch this film, or is it truly appalling? Curiosity killed the cat and whatnot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heavy Metal posted:

Nemesis is the only TNG movie I haven't seen. I actually heard on this podcast War Rocket Ajax they like the movie. Should I watch this film, or is it truly appalling? Curiosity killed the cat and whatnot.

Nemesis was the worst Trek ever produced until Picard S1 came around and Michael Chabon said, "Hold my beer."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

It's worth seeing but also it's extremely lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I think I'll pop it on sometime out of curiosity. I was avoiding it for years, but sometimes you just gotta know.

I actually watched maybe 4 or 5 eps of Picard, enjoyed the aspect of just seeing Picard again and being like, there he is.