Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That's it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh man, that reminds me, there was this 3D game I remember playing in-browser mid-2000s which ran very slowly because, 3D game in-browser in the mid-2000s, but it featured some kind of luxury sports car driving around the moon and I think that was it? More of a tech demo than a game but it was listed on some games site I think. The engine it was using was probably some obscure poo poo
It may have been officially licensed

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Actual Satan posted:

The Awesome Adventures of Victor Vector & Yondo: The Last Dinosaur Egg?

Maybe but that UI isn't ringing any bells.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

curious about an old java applet i just remembered, it was a sort of point-and-click mystery game, starring a sherlock holmes-like detective with a cartoonish design. i remember there was a coachman who called him "guvna" like every other sentence as a bit

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 18, 2022

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Another one: it was on one of those 100 game demo discs back in the day, I think it was DOS, I feel like it was called.... Togra or Tougra or some sort of weird T word? It was caveman or tribal themed, I think you navigated in a first person view and there was at least one mini-game where you made arrowheads by holding the mouse and releasing repeatedly on a piece of flint with the arrowhead outline

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

There was some Korean flight MMO somewhere around 2010. It was less 'flight sim' and more "Star Fox." It had occasional PVP, but was more "Go out and shoot down 10 Craptors." (Yes, the I don't remember the name of the game, but do remember they had enemies called 'Craptors')

It lasted like 4 years, but like every year it got shut down for like 3 months and sold to a different company, which would release it again and would last a year before going out of business.

\/\/ gently caress, that's it. I remember it being AirRivals and being Space Cowboy for a hot second. Thanks

The Atomic Man-Boy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 19, 2022

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

There was some Korean flight MMO somewhere around 2010. It was less 'flight sim' and more "Star Fox." It had occasional PVP, but was more "Go out and shoot down 10 Craptors." (Yes, the I don't remember the name of the game, but do remember they had enemies called 'Craptors')

It lasted like 4 years, but like every year it got shut down for like 3 months and sold to a different company, which would release it again and would last a year before going out of business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Online ?

I remember it being called Space Cowboy

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Another one: it was on one of those 100 game demo discs back in the day, I think it was DOS, I feel like it was called.... Togra or Tougra or some sort of weird T word? It was caveman or tribal themed, I think you navigated in a first person view and there was at least one mini-game where you made arrowheads by holding the mouse and releasing repeatedly on a piece of flint with the arrowhead outline

The game is probably Sapiens. The characters name is Torgan

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
crossposting from GBS: I’m trying to remember a mid-90s? computer game. It was one of those educational/arty games for kids with multiple modules.

The only module I can remember you would place moving colored spheres on a top-down fields. They would move with whatever momentum you gave them so you could get them going really fast. There were different fields with peaks and valleys that would make the spheres grow bigger or smaller as they moved. The whole thing had a real techno shiny CG vibe with a cool techno soundtrack

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
That would be Thinkin' Things! Flying Spheres 2 is an all-time banger.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

The game is probably Sapiens. The characters name is Torgan

Yup that's it, thank you! Surprisingly little info about it out there

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vague one as this is a memory of when I was very young: DOS game, probably around 1990-1991. First person perspective, primitive flat polygons. You wake up in a room with a couple of coffins. If you open one of them you get attacked by a ghost (I think?) and the other one had a key to leave the room, but then there are more coffins that make you get attacked. I don't think I ever got past the second room but spent weeks trying to figure out what I was supposed to do (I might have been a very dumb six year old).

Definitely before Wolfenstein 3d game out because I don't think I ever tried to figure this game out again after I played Wolfenstein and realised 1st person games could be good.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Quote-Unquote posted:

Vague one as this is a memory of when I was very young: DOS game, probably around 1990-1991. First person perspective, primitive flat polygons. You wake up in a room with a couple of coffins. If you open one of them you get attacked by a ghost (I think?) and the other one had a key to leave the room, but then there are more coffins that make you get attacked. I don't think I ever got past the second room but spent weeks trying to figure out what I was supposed to do (I might have been a very dumb six year old).

Definitely before Wolfenstein 3d game out because I don't think I ever tried to figure this game out again after I played Wolfenstein and realised 1st person games could be good.
Castle Master II: The Crypt looks very similar to what you describe.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

MMAgCh posted:

Castle Master II: The Crypt looks very similar to what you describe.

Holy poo poo that's it. That was fast. No idea why this popped into my head this evening. Was googling '3d first person game coffins' and such and couldn't find it.
I might watch that LP of it because I'm pretty certain if I try to play it I'm just going to be angry all over again.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yup that's it, thank you! Surprisingly little info about it out there

It's freely available and apparently updated to run on win 11 if you want to check it out
https://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/sapiens.htm

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking for two DOS/Windows games, both from the 90's

The first is an early 3D RTS. I think it was an RTS, anyway. It wasn't top-down, the camera was down in the action. This was early 3D but after texture smoothing became a thing so it looked like muddy crap. It took place on an alien planet with a bright blue sky and you started out with a little floating insect-like drone and you had to put down a big ugly hive to start producing other buildings and units. The first map or tutorial environment had an obvious location to put your hive in, a very defensible circular area built into the side of a large hill with only one way in or out of it. I could have sworn this was developed by Firaxis but I can find nothing like it in their games catalogue listings online. I know this one is vague but I've only got an image or two of it in my head.

The second was earlier 3D with none of the texture smoothing so the textures were all pixelated. You had indirect control of an insect-like robot (although I'm pretty sure it only had 4 legs) and I think you had to either type commands at it or otherwise indirectly coax it do things, mostly walking around and avoiding obstacles and solving simple puzzles to progress through the levels. It had some rudimentary AI where this bug would supposedly get better and better at navigating the environment and following the player's instructions the more you played. Aesthetically it was a dark game, primarily blacks and dark blues with red and blue highlights, and it had the robot crawling through ducts and vents in sort of a cyberpunk environment. I think you could see floating cars whizzing by in the background as you played but I may be making that part up.

edit: I found the first one, it's Dominant Species by Red Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzneT1S2lY

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 28, 2022

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'm looking for two DOS/Windows games, both from the 90's

The first is an early 3D RTS. I think it was an RTS, anyway. It wasn't top-down, the camera was down in the action. This was early 3D but after texture smoothing became a thing so it looked like muddy crap. It took place on an alien planet with a bright blue sky and you started out with a little floating insect-like drone and you had to put down a big ugly hive to start producing other buildings and units. The first map or tutorial environment had an obvious location to put your hive in, a very defensible circular area built into the side of a large hill with only one way in or out of it. I could have sworn this was developed by Firaxis but I can find nothing like it in their games catalogue listings online. I know this one is vague but I've only got an image or two of it in my head.

The second was earlier 3D with none of the texture smoothing so the textures were all pixelated. You had indirect control of an insect-like robot (although I'm pretty sure it only had 4 legs) and I think you had to either type commands at it or otherwise indirectly coax it do things, mostly walking around and avoiding obstacles and solving simple puzzles to progress through the levels. It had some rudimentary AI where this bug would supposedly get better and better at navigating the environment and following the player's instructions the more you played. Aesthetically it was a dark game, primarily blacks and dark blues with red and blue highlights, and it had the robot crawling through ducts and vents in sort of a cyberpunk environment. I think you could see floating cars whizzing by in the background as you played but I may be making that part up.

Dominant Species and Galapagos: Mendel's Escape?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Both right on the money, thanks!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone remember a game in the 90s, something like a point and click, but not so much of a story or mystery type? It was the sprite based game where this kid in (pink/purple/red?) overalls just kept navigating bizarre settings, and clicking on things would just make even more bizarre things happen? I think it was on something other than the Sega or Nintendo consoles. Probably a CD based system, as some of the sprites seem like they were larger than a cart could hold at the time. Probably PS1 or Saturn era game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IUG posted:

Does anyone remember a game in the 90s, something like a point and click, but not so much of a story or mystery type? It was the sprite based game where this kid in (pink/purple/red?) overalls just kept navigating bizarre settings, and clicking on things would just make even more bizarre things happen? I think it was on something other than the Sega or Nintendo consoles. Probably a CD based system, as some of the sprites seem like they were larger than a cart could hold at the time. Probably PS1 or Saturn era game.

Panic! for Sega CD https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic!_(video_game)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I love this thread.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thank you! I didn’t know it came out for Sega CD, I thought it was from one of the less successful game systems.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

IUG posted:

Thank you! I didn’t know it came out for Sega CD, I thought it was from one of the less successful game systems.

I have bad news about the success of the Sega CD

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone remind me the title of an 80s fighting game that had a unique control scheme - twin sticks instead of stick+ buttons, the second stick was for attacks and functioned like 4 buttons. IIRC it had a cameo in some big martial arts movie of the time.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Someone remind me the title of an 80s fighting game that had a unique control scheme - twin sticks instead of stick+ buttons, the second stick was for attacks and functioned like 4 buttons. IIRC it had a cameo in some big martial arts movie of the time.

Karate champ? That's the only fighting game with two sticks I remember other than Virtual On, which was a decade later

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Karate champ? That's the only fighting game with two sticks I remember other than Virtual On, which was a decade later

Could also be Yie Ar Kung-fu, I vaguely remember that having two joysticks too.

Ed: never mind, I remember wrong.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 30, 2022

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Karate champ?
Yep! And I even found the cameo scene in Bloodsport!

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Here's a rough one. Someone I know is looking for a game and all they have is the memory of the box art!

PC game, seen in a store in the early 2000s, box is white with a traditional 00s sexy lady on the cover with a white anthro rabbit dressed like a guerilla fighter, who has a machine gun and has his mouth sewn shut. It was one of those boxes with a flap cover.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Sounds like Space Bunnies Must Die. Not an exact match but all the elements are there one way or another.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
We have a winner! Showed them the cover art and they went THAT'S IT. Some bits mixed up but lol 20 year old memories. Thank you!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm trying to remember a name of a game currently in developement, saw it somewhere like 1-2 years ago and forgot to follow/wishlist.

It's an open world third-person game taking place in ancient Mesopotamia. You're a priest of some kind and I remember it having an insane magic system allowing you to do some crazy poo poo like throw entire buildings around.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's out, but Fictorum?

The only other one I can think of that sounds like that is Forspoken but I don't think that's it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
complete longshot

3D space shooter a la TIE Fighter/Wing Commander, might have been freeware/abandonware or shareware. All I remember is that I played it around 2000 or so, and that it had a missile weapon called the "Bludgeon" that had a blast radius that was large enough that it was basically impossible to use without killing yourself, which I found hilarious when I was like 12 so I would just launch the game and shoot that thing over and over again.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's out, but Fictorum?

The only other one I can think of that sounds like that is Forspoken but I don't think that's it.

I found it - Ilum
But dang, that price is a bit too much. I think I know why I didn't wishlist it.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'm thinking about a 3D* CRPG for DOS from the 90s. You start on a sci-fi spaceship which promply crashes on a lush alien planet full of cat-like people**. Town-and-Dungeon-crawling ensues.
There may have been undertones of colonization or other exploitation.

*I do remember some 2D-JRPG-Elements, but that might me confusing it with Star Ocean or something.
**And druids. Or cat-like druids. I have some memories, and i don't know if that game was just weird or if I confuse it with a _third_ game.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 2, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wipfmetz posted:

I'm thinking about a 3D* CRPG for DOS from the 90s. You start on a sci-fi spaceship which promply crashes on a lush alien planet full of cat-like people**. Town-and-Dungeon-crawling ensues.
There may have been undertones of colonization or other exploitation.

*I do remember some 2D-JRPG-Elements, but that might me confusing it with Star Ocean or something.
**And druids. Or cat-like druids. I have some memories, and i don't know if that game was just weird or if I confuse it with a _third_ game.

Sounds like Albion

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Yes, that's the one. Thank you!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Trying to remember the name of a game :

The demo was on a coverdisk CD for a pc magazine
The year timeframe was around 1997-2001 at most.
It was not, afaik, one of the bigger PC game magazines (gamer, zone, format) but a weirder one I think, more focused around software. I think the jewel case for the CD was white and blue.
It was a rock/pop band simulator that started you out in a small studio.
You could select parts (vocalist, guitarist, drums etc) and they were represented by people. They were not 3D models or claymation etc but 2D sprites that animated and each had a set personality, i.e grungy dude drummer, upbeat chick vocalist.
Song management consisted of setting your people to do different pre-made parts that made up the collective song. In the demo I recall there were two songs, one of which had the lyrics 'give me a sign, let me know you're mine' or words to such effect. I think the different parts were very short loops and were intended to be put together across all the different bandmembers but you could put different ones together.
In the demo I recall there were only a few people you could pick from.
You could also view the sheet music for the song you made.
You then went to record the tune, and I think you could do some tuneups there
The demo ended with them performing at a stadium and 'buy the full game to find out how your ratings were, manage your band fully etc'

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There are a surprising number of games that look like that sort of thing, but Rock Manager is the only one I'm seeing that's close to being from the right era.

Music Band Manager looks close, but it's way too new. Maybe it's a remake/ripoff of what you're looking for.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw Rock Manager but it isn't that one. Characters were 2D drawn art not abstract/pseudo 3D models.