Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what was the last o ring effect printed for any nonland permanent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Leyline of Binding last month.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

flatluigi posted:

There's 2 of them in DMU.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

flatluigi posted:

Borrowed Time I think?
E: I was very wrong.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's kind of a dumb visual but bear with me. for streaming an arena match, if you have the ability to do it in person, what if you set up two computers back to back so you could have the players reacting to each other in real time. So you get the interaction but you're also playing a version of the game that is easily grokkable to spectators

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Thats what they're doing? Unless thats the joke and i misunderstood

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

Love the broad applicability, not sure it's efficient enough to make it. Definitely getting one for Cube.

Is this the first time they used the 'only once' ability on a paper card? I remember it in HBG alchemy draft but I haven't seen it on a paper card before.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Is this the first time they used the 'only once' ability on a paper card? I remember it in HBG alchemy draft but I haven't seen it on a paper card before.

There's an Unfinity card that does, technically

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kashuno posted:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kashuno posted:

It's been done a few times with commander cards, and a couple times way back in Ice Age. It's also on Surge Engine that got spoiled from BRO this week.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

It is but i cant for a second believe anyone thinks this has the same energy as being across from each other, able to talk and bluff and all that

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Kashuno posted:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%22only+once%22+game%3Apaper&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

----

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

oh ok lol. I haven't watched any of the streams

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Arena also has the side benefit of being a much better way for people who don't share a native tongue to play each other, a thing that might happen at the World Championships.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's an English language game now nerd. go read the comprehensive rules regarding mind goblin

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Thought that anthem was absolutely busted until I re-read it and saw "only once", but it still seems really good.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Toshimo's points are all well taken, but it's still inferior. Some headphoned dudes staring listlessly into a webcam is excitement poison. Gimme them topdecks.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Thought that anthem was absolutely busted until I re-read it and saw "only once", but it still seems really good.

I mean yeah, infinite ability to exile stuff would be pretty strong even at 6 mana a pop, but as it actually exists I think it's going to have a difficult time displacing Wedding Announcement

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

It's good in context if there is a decent white deck but Wedding Invite, Thalia and Adeline being in the format means it's probably going to be good. Mono Red and Mono White are getting some pretty good cards in what has been revealed so far.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Explorer is pretty stale right now (it's Pioneer except without Mono G and any real aggro) but a bunch of weird cards thrown into Historic? Sign me up!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

more specifically: https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%22only+once%22+-o%3A%22each+turn%22+game%3Apaper&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

so not often, but they did it all the way back in ice age, so it's not new

President Ark fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 29, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I find watching paper games way more interesting personally

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I find watching paper games way more interesting personally

Same, but I don't mind watching Arena/MODO tho. I think people really overblow how hard it is to figure out what's going on in Paper.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

If you cast a destroy instant/sorcery on a creature with a death trigger, is that card in the graveyard when the trigger goes off or is it still on the stack?

Specifically Saw in Half and Cormela. If you saw her in half, can the original dying Cormela choose Saw in Half? 9 times out of 10 this won't matter because you have a second Cormela dying to the legend rule right after, but what if you had a Mirror Box in play or something?
The trigger doesn't go onto the stack until a player would receive priority after the spell resolved.
So the creature is in the yard, and the spell is in the yard

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

----------------------------------------------
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/hurkyl-master-wizard-rarity-update

Some viewers may have noticed that the recently revealed The Brothers' War card Hurkyl, Master Wizard, has two versions—a main set version and an extended art version found in Collector Boosters—that have two different rarities in the images.

Though it's a bit unusual, both images are correct. The Hurkyl, Master Wizard main set version (found in all types of boosters) will drop as a rare. Meanwhile, the extended art Hurkyl, Master Wizard (found only in Collector Boosters) will drop as a mythic rare.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh I love this. Cheap repeatable counter removal that also ramps? Instant 4 in my Never-Ending Saga deck.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/fluffycattens/status/1586143178364948480

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Strong Sauce posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/hurkyl-master-wizard-rarity-update

Some viewers may have noticed that the recently revealed The Brothers' War card Hurkyl, Master Wizard, has two versions—a main set version and an extended art version found in Collector Boosters—that have two different rarities in the images.

Though it's a bit unusual, both images are correct. The Hurkyl, Master Wizard main set version (found in all types of boosters) will drop as a rare. Meanwhile, the extended art Hurkyl, Master Wizard (found only in Collector Boosters) will drop as a mythic rare.

I really hate the numbering of these, it doesn't say what set they are a part of in this border. Are the X/38's masterpieces, and what are the ones that are just single numbers?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

I really hate the numbering of these, it doesn't say what set they are a part of in this border. Are the X/38's masterpieces, and what are the ones that are just single numbers?

The x/38s are Bro Commander. The masterpiece things don't have a /xx, just the first number.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

Thanks!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Paper magic was a blast to watch 5 years ago, but even then paid professionals were having issues identifying some of the card variants. It would be an insane task nowadays, even if the casters had decklists to identify its an secret lair etched Japanese foil thoughtsieze, you as a viewer would be totally unable to track the cards on the table over time.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Was going to post more cards... but apparently Magic 30 was not planned very well? Surprising!
They kicked everyone out at 7pm, and people with 8/9pm events have to wait outside at Magic 30
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/yg7665/they_kicked_everyone_out_at_7pm_and_people_with/

MTG30: The single line for official merchandise. An hour in, and we’re still not past the final switchback.
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/yg4rfh/mtg30_the_single_line_for_official_merchandise_an/

Magic 30: No On Demand Side Events
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/yg4ajx/magic_30_no_on_demand_side_events/
Bought entry with the assumption that some on demand side events would be firing to play modern since the main event sold out in seconds. Asked the staff and they said they weren’t running events that weren’t reserved online. The online portal has a closed registration. Pretty poor execution and disappointed that I can actually play magic at the 30th anniversary.

Magic 30 Attendees encounter event registration glitches, no resolution besides “Sorry”
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/yg45q1/magic_30_attendees_encounter_event_registration/
The growtix website seems to have prevented many attendees from being able to complete their registration, offering no cart or checkout option, with a page titled “Managing Event Schedule for <name>”.

The page seems like the registration is complete, as there was no way to progress, and many were led to believe they would finalize their registration on-site, which is not possible.

There was a staff member keeping a tally to count how many attendees were affected, it was such a common occurrence, but the only resolution was an apology and a few Dominaria United box toppers, which are essentially worthless in the face of travel, lodging, time, and other expenses incurred.

How does this happen to an event of this scale, and how is there no way for that to be resolved? This is ridiculous. r/

Magic30 is like if they stuck all of San Diego Comic Con in Hall H. You can’t hear the person playing across from you.
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/yg7vua/magic30_is_like_if_they_stuck_all_of_san_diego/
So went today and the main stage where they are doing the panels is insane. You can feel the bass from whatever they were doing on the other side of the venue. Add in all that noise with the noise of them trying to run tournaments plus all the noise from the venders and the noise from everyone else — all of this in a concrete echoing room. The audio stimulation was exhausting. I have a three day pass and I might skip Sunday entirety.

Apparently WOTC was charging $350 for access to the floor space

https://twitter.com/BudgetCommander/status/1586108167486066688

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/BoshNRoll/status/1586196127463788544

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
That black command could have been decent at 4. Urza's command might be nice. Kayla's command is hot garbage (hope I am wrong).

Mishra's command might be busted.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I remember how GPs were getting way to expensive and then everyone spent money to attend this event. "I created my own prison...."

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
lol I had a feeling thorn of amethyst would get a reprint shortly after I decided to buy one for one of my cEDH decks

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Love that the Vindicate has the flavor text for another indicate edit. "....them"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm going to guess that green will get a Titania's Command to round out the cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Kayla's command is hot garbage (hope I am wrong).

It's a three mana 2/2 that draws you a plain or make you scry 2 and gain 2 life or buff another creature. It's fine.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 29, 2022