Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was a massive improvement over the very early material of the game but still was not that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Should've written the Doctor out imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really care for the doctor but theyre too important to later plot points to write out, and they do actually kind of have a personality

the amnesia setup is annoying tho

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
im fine with one ep but it begs the question of how long yostars great animation can hold it up. plus without all the cute gacha chars we're relying on the load-bearing ability of dobermann's tummy and ace's bulging forearms

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

im fine with one ep but it begs the question of how long yostars great animation can hold it up. plus without all the cute gacha chars we're relying on the load-bearing ability of dobermann's tummy and ace's bulging forearms

the material does get more interesting pretty quickly at least, at least if they're going all the way to skullshatterer in only 8 eps. that stuff isnt fantastic but its more interesting then 'please explain the entire planet to me while we run away from w, the world's best demoman main'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

w ricocheting a grenade off the roof and instantly killing adnachiel while saying 'kablooey'

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lets RTA skullshatterer and parkour to frostleaf

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

lets RTA skullshatterer and parkour to frostleaf
skullshatterer arc does have jessica's only main story appearance iirc

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nah, Jessica shows up in chapter 4 along with Frostleaf.

Also, I wonder if they could've made the generic Rhodes NPCs a little less obviously faceless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1586120854626238467?t=Y4lrBtsKbqexodXDMhWtQA&s=19

British dub or I riot

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Akiba maid war dub might get more people onto it. It could also be really good. I haven't been this excited for a possible dub in a long time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

the finale of s1 of gundam ironblooded orphans takes place in edmonton alberta canada

That is pretty neat and way more accurate than I expected. Not used to seeing places outside Japan/London/New York animated.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

it was a massive improvement over the very early material of the game but still was not that good.

I thought it had pretty good aesthetics and vibe but was let down by the required exposition to explain everything. At least they got most of it out of the way in episode 1.

Did have an amusing moment where Doc was presented with the PRTS phone just as I booted up my client to get a bit of farming done while watching.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Arknights anime firing on all cylinders, I was just uncontrollably happy and vibing at how good it was.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1586192201398202373

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont really care for the doctor but theyre too important to later plot points to write out, and they do actually kind of have a personality

the amnesia setup is annoying tho

I like the amnesia setup entirely because of the like 2 flashbacks to pre-amnesia times where they're just like any other character and not a slient protag with dialogue choices.

Though I guess they can't really do anything with that in the anime

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On a whim, decided to try watching the anime original Ninja School show (Shinobi no Ittoki). It is impressively terrible. The overarching plot's garbage, the setting has logic holes you could drive a semi through, and the MC is of the breed where they're a bit whiny, have no idea what they're doing and are completely useless - but I have to forgive them somewhat, because holy poo poo have they been subject to emotional abuse their whole life that I don't think you're supposed to view as such.

It's fairly standard boilerplate, in that he's the heir and next family head of their ninja clan, but he's never been told this because his mother wanted him to get a vaguely normal life before informing him and putting him into training. Except he hasn't been allowed a normal life, the entire first episode goes to great lengths to show that said mother has given him no time to be a normal middle schooler allowed to hang out with friends (outside of whatever time he gets at school), but is rather being forced to attend multiple extracurricular lessons every day. Like, the end of the episode leading up to the reveal revolves around a girl confessing to him, him asking to take a single day off to go on a date, and being told gently caress no, you haven't talked to her before so you'll cancel this silliness and attend lessons as usual because it's for your own good.

This of course ends badly, with him deciding to ditch and go anyways, only for her to of course be an assassin from another clan. This leads to an entire running battle that he in no way mentally prepared for. Followed by the decision to send him to ninja school because he'll be safer there for... some reason. Seriously, he nearly gets assassinated in the entrance exam, and the most powerful clique in the school is from said rival ninja clan (which is also currently the most powerful one in ninja world), but he'll clearly be safer there rather then kept on the hidden estate and given private training, uh, because. At said school at which he's been constantly belittled for not knowing how anything works, because of course no one has ever actually told him.

And then there's the main girl. Like, I know what the kuudere archetype is, but wow has she shown basically nothing but cold silence, insistent reminders to attend his next lesson, and verbal abuse. And he's directly stated she's his best friend. So either he views her as his best friend for reasons the show hasn't bothered to really show (4 episodes in)... or because she's literally been the only one his family allowed to stay around him and he's taken to viewing her as such simply because she's always around. Or both. Which would certainly be a novel character decision in a work, but just like the horrid mother I don't think you're supposed to view her that way.

I guess the two newish relevant characters aren't too bad, but that's more due to them not being (so far) directly connected to the overarching plot or the absolute shitshow that is everything surrounding the MC's situation rather than being particularly good characters in their own right.

And this is all just dealing with plot and characters, not even getting into various art decisions. And also ignoring how the new ninja school is basically just a normal school with ninja lessons, and most of the students seem like fairly normal teens except with some extra interests, so the whole "need to keep him completely ignorant to give him a normal life" is laughable too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

w ricocheting a grenade off the roof and instantly killing adnachiel while saying 'kablooey'

TBH I'd want to see that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was surprised none of the *2 characters you get at the start were there, sure they're not in the first couple stages but it'd be a bit more visually interesting than just guys in masks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aw hell yeah

Wonder if they'll just merge it and Sui's Big Adventure into a single comfy journey

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That is an extremely fluffy wolf.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pasta and meatballs? Is this like the fantasy wolf version of garfield?

I hope this floofball also hates Mondays

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fenrir is a demigod wolf who cares about only two things, eating and fighting strong monsters, beating them, then having the protagonist turn them into literal hamburgers and stuff to eat

Sui is a baby slime adopted by the protagonist who is cute and innocent and incredibly dangerous in a fight

The protagonist is basically powerless except he can access an amazon-like storefront ability that turns the gold and treasure he gets from selling harvested monster parts into supplies he needs, from camping gear to cooking supplies and seasonings. Also he's good at cooking.

It's one of those laid back isekai where the supposed protagonist takes a back seat to the secondary characters and avoids pretty much every typical isekai bugbear like slavery and harems.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 29, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apparently much later on it gets into slavery poo poo but that's past the manga and past what the anime will cover. so i'll just treat it like usagi drop and ignore that part.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aw c'mon can't you give me just the one

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

On a whim, decided to try watching the anime original Ninja School show (Shinobi no Ittoki). It is impressively terrible. The overarching plot's garbage, the setting has logic holes you could drive a semi through, and the MC is of the breed where they're a bit whiny, have no idea what they're doing and are completely useless - but I have to forgive them somewhat, because holy poo poo have they been subject to emotional abuse their whole life that I don't think you're supposed to view as such.

It’s kind of amazing how unoriginal this original show is. Like they fed a bunch of plot points from other “special school” anime into an AI algorithm.

I keep hoping that this is all some sort of fake-out and for the show to actually go in a different direction, like maybe addressing the fact that neither side in this secret ninja war seems to be fighting for a higher purpose than just killing the other, and that the whole conflict is ridiculous. And there are just enough moments pointing to this that make me think it’s possible, but if so it’s wasting way too much time on the boring school hijinks.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Thinking about how much Akiba Maid War rules

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Koth posted:

It's fairly standard boilerplate, in that he's the heir and next family head of their ninja clan, but he's never been told this because his mother wanted him to get a vaguely normal life before informing him and putting him into training. Except he hasn't been allowed a normal life, the entire first episode goes to great lengths to show that said mother has given him no time to be a normal middle schooler allowed to hang out with friends (outside of whatever time he gets at school), but is rather being forced to attend multiple extracurricular lessons every day. Like, the end of the episode leading up to the reveal revolves around a girl confessing to him, him asking to take a single day off to go on a date, and being told gently caress no, you haven't talked to her before so you'll cancel this silliness and attend lessons as usual because it's for your own good.

This of course ends badly, with him deciding to ditch and go anyways, only for her to of course be an assassin from another clan. This leads to an entire running battle that he in no way mentally prepared for. Followed by the decision to send him to ninja school because he'll be safer there for... some reason. Seriously, he nearly gets assassinated in the entrance exam, and the most powerful clique in the school is from said rival ninja clan (which is also currently the most powerful one in ninja world), but he'll clearly be safer there rather then kept on the hidden estate and given private training, uh, because. At said school at which he's been constantly belittled for not knowing how anything works, because of course no one has ever actually told him.

And then there's the main girl. Like, I know what the kuudere archetype is, but wow has she shown basically nothing but cold silence, insistent reminders to attend his next lesson, and verbal abuse. And he's directly stated she's his best friend. So either he views her as his best friend for reasons the show hasn't bothered to really show (4 episodes in)... or because she's literally been the only one his family allowed to stay around him and he's taken to viewing her as such simply because she's always around. Or both. Which would certainly be a novel character decision in a work, but just like the horrid mother I don't think you're supposed to view her that way.

I guess the two newish relevant characters aren't too bad, but that's more due to them not being (so far) directly connected to the overarching plot or the absolute shitshow that is everything surrounding the MC's situation rather than being particularly good characters in their own right.

And this is all just dealing with plot and characters, not even getting into various art decisions. And also ignoring how the new ninja school is basically just a normal school with ninja lessons, and most of the students seem like fairly normal teens except with some extra interests, so the whole "need to keep him completely ignorant to give him a normal life" is laughable too.

lol the way you talk about this makes it sound like an inio asano jawn. but it's probably completely on accident and they just... didn't care to have any details. i guess ddddd is basically asano literally doing that, but with sci fi instead of ninjas what with the insanely nihilistic writing and all the characters being full of ennui and depression

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

goblin week posted:

Thinking about how much Akiba Maid War rules

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently much later on it gets into slavery poo poo but that's past the manga and past what the anime will cover. so i'll just treat it like usagi drop and ignore that part.

With Amazon as his cheat skill, it was only a matter of time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for the record what happens is that the evil empire tries to kidnap and enslave some other isekai'd people, and the good guys stop them, and then everyone cheers about how they prevented the empire's plot to be evil. which seems like a plotpoint you could do in a star wars novel and not really that weird, so maybe vague posting continues to be stupid

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And the isekai protagonist was Albert Einstein after a handshake with a fellow with a Tim Curry accent.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1586371395667517440?t=U8H41D7cngcKpHgSqaz1Ew&s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TheBrando2/status/1586428647493308417?s=19

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Endorph posted:

for the record what happens is that the evil empire tries to kidnap and enslave some other isekai'd people, and the good guys stop them, and then everyone cheers about how they prevented the empire's plot to be evil. which seems like a plotpoint you could do in a star wars novel and not really that weird, so maybe vague posting continues to be stupid

A star wars isekai would be delightful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ohtori Akio posted:

A star wars isekai would be delightful.

“I got Isekai’ed into Star Wars but I never actually watched the movies so I don’t know what I should do!”

There that sounds like an Isekai series title.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

“I got Isekai’ed into Star Wars but I never actually watched the movies so I don’t know what I should do!”

More Scifi isekai's like Futurama would be pretty good.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

MonsterEnvy posted:

Does the main character have access to Force powers?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He has no midochlorians and is discriminated against but is actually secretly the strongest in the force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Beast Tamer episode 5 had the expected confrontation with the rear end in a top hat Hero's party who fired the protagonist right at the start of the series because they thought he was weak and useless, but now they want him back because they've realised all his hard work made things a lot easier for them. Even though they still treat him like poo poo they point out that their mission to defeat the demon lord will actually save an untold number of lives but in a twist the protagonist and his mini-harem simply beat the poo poo out of all of them which was refreshing. :v: