Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stickers are bad, but stickers that have to be aligned parallel with sculpted details are impossible. If anyone posts a picture of a Gunpla with all the stickers aligned correctly, they're lying. They faked it in photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

catgirlgenius posted:

https://twitter.com/GundamPlanet/status/1585695473469358090

pandemic helping people see what is truly good and important in life

The Great Gunpla Drought has instilled in me a deep-seated sense of FOMO that’s got me spending far too much on kits I’ll never build, but there’s an undeniable satisfaction in finally having ‘em.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
yes but did you really need 20 Acguys?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who doesn't?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Nodosaur posted:

*sighs*

Here it is I guess. Multiple people have told me it’s not that bad, but all I see are flaws.

That's kinda how it is with your own stuff - you know every bit that didn't go to plan and it sticks out whenever you look.

I tend to just remind myself I know more than before I started, that's always a victory you can take forward.

Nice work, by the way!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YanniRotten posted:

the cost won't matter after we've taken Jaburo

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

YanniRotten posted:

I've got like 6-7 Grazes. I have a project in mind, I swear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

I've got like 6-7 Grazes. I have a project in mind, I swear.

One of each release, or multiple of the same model? :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I think the only main line Graze I don't have is the sick new red one from that mobile game

They really need to release this guy though

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SnakesRevenge posted:

That's kinda how it is with your own stuff - you know every bit that didn't go to plan and it sticks out whenever you look.

I tend to just remind myself I know more than before I started, that's always a victory you can take forward.

Nice work, by the way!

thanks...some time has passed, and I'm feeling better about it.

Next is the old rear end Zaku-1...I've already broken two pieces on it, orz.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Nodosaur posted:

thanks...some time has passed, and I'm feeling better about it.

Next is the old rear end Zaku-1...I've already broken two pieces on it, orz.

I need to get some Zaku 1s. I love Zeon suits so much..

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Gripweed posted:

Stickers are bad, but stickers that have to be aligned parallel with sculpted details are impossible. If anyone posts a picture of a Gunpla with all the stickers aligned correctly, they're lying. They faked it in photoshop.

Built the IBO Sigrun recently and I love it a lot, but there's one sticker in the helm that you have to bend and apply in a really tight space around this sharp triangular wedge. Mine tore right in the centre despite gingerly handling it with a blunted toothpick. :negative: I cringe every time I see it.

Side note, unreal to me that the Sigrun only appeared in a mobile game and that's basically it. Seems like a waste of a good mech! Very pleased there seems to be visual overlap with some of the Witch from Mercury designs eg Begir-beu at least, but if anybody knows more/older kits in this vein I'd love to hear about 'em.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Good news for UK peeps, looks like Bandai is looking to get Gunpla into the UK properly.

I was at MCM Comic Con London today and there was an actual official Gunpa booth run by Bandai there. Wasn't much, just a workshop you could sign up for to build and keep an Entry Grade RX-78-2 and a shop selling a fairly limited selection of kits. I did the workshop because why not, and got talking to someone who said he was a UK Sales Manager for Bandai and they're looking to start official distribution and get kits into more stores next year, at better prices than the stores importing stuff now.

Picked up an MG RX-78-2 3.0 for £55. Can't find it in stock at any UK sites right now, but I'm pretty sure that's lower than the usual UK prices. Amazon has it on Prime for £67.49, but that's a kinda weird price and might be higher than actual Gunpla stores would sell it for.

Hopefully they'll work with the current stores to get prices lower all over, can't imagine they'll want to screw over existing stores for some reason. Hell, the guy I spoke to even recommended one to me, saying Japan Craft might be opening a new store with a dedicated Gunpla section.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bluefin coming in as the official distributor addressed price and availability in good ways in the US, hopefully you see the same there.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've tried searching for them but I'm not turning up any results. What are the little nub hoovers called that people have to tidy up their desk? I believe they themselves are a model kit?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I've tried searching for them but I'm not turning up any results. What are the little nub hoovers called that people have to tidy up their desk? I believe they themselves are a model kit?

https://www.amazon.com/ODISTAR-Endurance-Cordless-Rotatable-Keyboard/dp/B07Q128V6W ?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Bandai is actually including waterslide decals in the new Strike Freedom kit. Is this the end times?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is that the new MGEX? I think the Unicorn MGEX came with waterslides (which is probably why mine is naked, should probably do those at some point). So it makes sense that it would.

Still dumb as gently caress that the PGU only had stickers. Or PG's in general.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

Bandai is actually including waterslide decals in the new Strike Freedom kit. Is this the end times?

I guess its a cost thing but honestly they do themselves a massive disservice by including those awful stickers, particularily in RG kits. Wasnt the recent perfect extreme RX78 also with stickers?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How well do dry rubs or watersides hold up after a topcoat layer is sprayed on?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

On the ones I've done, after doing a coat over the waterslides it pretty much seals them in place and I don't have to worry about them falling off anymore

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Burns posted:

I guess its a cost thing but honestly they do themselves a massive disservice by including those awful stickers, particularily in RG kits. Wasnt the recent perfect extreme RX78 also with stickers?

It was, it was really loving dumb that with all the stuff they put into it, it still only had stickers. I brought some aftermarket waterslides at one point, but I'd have to peel off the stickers and probably wash off residue or whatever before putting them on. So probably too lazy to ever do it!

boz
Oct 16, 2005
It's weird because my Mega Size unicorn came with waterslides. and I believe those retail for like 100 bucks

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Burns posted:

I just got a p-bandi kit with no waterslides. It's crazy that Bandai is so behind on this one thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm honestly considering doing another PGU RX-78 just so I can do it with waterslides. I have a problem.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

I'm so annoyed I lost one of the MG guntank's ears. I'll never find that thing. I think it's in the legos somewhere

Veotax
May 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I'm honestly considering doing another PGU RX-78 just so I can do it with waterslides. I have a problem.

Honestly, kinda the same. As dumb as it sounds, I'd rather just build a new one than peel all the stickers off and put on waterslides.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arc Hammer posted:

I have never had any trouble with dry rubs and am convinced everyone else is doing them wrong. My first real kit used them and they're still there with no topcoat.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

I have never had any trouble with dry rubs and am convinced everyone else is doing them wrong. My first real kit used them and they're still there with no topcoat.

They really need flat surfaces i find to work properly, bit of a problem on most zeon kits.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Burns posted:

They really need flat surfaces i find to work properly, bit of a problem on most zeon kits.

Fair. I learned to do them on a ground type Gundam, which is practically cheating when it comes to flat surfaces. I know I've done them on at least one Zeon kit since then though.

Other big thing though is using tape to attach the decal, smushing it down with the rounded back of my exacto knife handle, and then leaving the tape attached as a hinge so if I start peeling the backing off and see that I missed a spot I can slap it back down in the same position.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I like to keep my hands busy while watching/listening to podcasts and streaming stuff, and warhams/lego is too expensive so I ordered an entry grade grampa. Any other recommendations for beginner stuff? I like goofy looking stuff and older/flatter designs with less greebles, I don't have much attachment to the shows - I might get a shining gundam just because I think g gundam was the first one I saw as a kid.

There are some really cheap kits kicking around without any grade or whatever, are those still snap together kits or old school model style? I'm looking at this big zam for instance: https://www.hobbyco.com.au/products/1-550-byg-zam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 30 Minute Missions line are also good beginner kits. They're pretty cheap, easy to put together, and if you get a few and some of the option kits, they're super customizable/kitbashable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

field balm posted:

I like to keep my hands busy while watching/listening to podcasts and streaming stuff, and warhams/lego is too expensive so I ordered an entry grade grampa. Any other recommendations for beginner stuff? I like goofy looking stuff and older/flatter designs with less greebles, I don't have much attachment to the shows - I might get a shining gundam just because I think g gundam was the first one I saw as a kid.

There are some really cheap kits kicking around without any grade or whatever, are those still snap together kits or old school model style? I'm looking at this big zam for instance: https://www.hobbyco.com.au/products/1-550-byg-zam

That's a really old kit and likely not snap together. You may be disappointed in it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also yeah, most kits without a grade are going to be exceptionally old.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've made that kit, it's pretty bad for it's own time period even.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Veotax posted:

Honestly, kinda the same. As dumb as it sounds, I'd rather just build a new one than peel all the stickers off and put on waterslides.

And I gotta admit, the PGU was a really fun build. It's $300, but you absolutely get your money's worth out of high-quality build time and in having a 1/60 Gundam. The engineers have honestly produced one of the great toys of all time.

Or they can make a PGU Zaku II, which will sell like hotcakes. After doing the first one, a PGU Zaku would be an instant pre-order.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Guntank Ver.Ka when??

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tarquinn posted:

Guntank Ver.Ka when??

Would slam down an order so fast

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://shop.bandai.com/blog/post/latest-news/gundam-expo-usa-2022

A runthrough of what's going to be at Gundam Expo USA at Anime NYC, including some previously out of print kits for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Finally got around to working on the HG Hi-Zack a friend got me like 2 yrs ago.

Mostly brush painted. The black is chaos black from a spray can initially intended as primer but i liked how it looked so left it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/E9EOgCs