Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Battle Brothers is the gold standard "manage a mercenary company in a freeform sandbox" game, to the point where I'm surprised it hasn't had a ton of clones made. It does everything you'd want out of that format without going into grognard management tedium, and it has an incredibly deep and fun tactical combat system. Your company's actions can have real ramifications for the game world (e.g. a war breaks out between nobles and who you choose to help can change the political geography of the world).

Wartales is a clone that you might be into, but it doesn't feature mecha and the setting is super generic. it doesn't have as deep tactical combat as BB but one thing it does very well is world immersion stuff - mini games for mining and fishing and crafting, more story-focused than BB. It has small little immersive sim elements like that which make the world feel interactive.

But yeah, I think a lot of people are chomping at the bit for a real MW4 sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
i'm going to play fallout 4 as a chilled out run around shooty game. are there any other good ones people can recommend? I'm not big on spooky games.

I guess as some reference i've recently played deathloop which was pretty fun, but didn't get hooked by dishonored. ut2k4 was good when i was younger but i don't think i can do twitch/super fast paced shooters anymore. I'm the guy that plays call of duties but only for the single player. maybe a deus ex? I played the first 2 but can never remember which of the newer ones people say are good.

or I'll go play sleeping dogs or xiii again.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ilmucche posted:

i'm going to play fallout 4 as a chilled out run around shooty game. are there any other good ones people can recommend? I'm not big on spooky games.

I guess as some reference i've recently played deathloop which was pretty fun, but didn't get hooked by dishonored. ut2k4 was good when i was younger but i don't think i can do twitch/super fast paced shooters anymore. I'm the guy that plays call of duties but only for the single player. maybe a deus ex? I played the first 2 but can never remember which of the newer ones people say are good.

Destiny 2 is actually really great for this

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Battle Brothers is the gold standard "manage a mercenary company in a freeform sandbox" game, to the point where I'm surprised it hasn't had a ton of clones made.

This reminds me, does anyone have an opinion on The Iron Oath?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ilmucche posted:

Please immediately play theHunter: Call of the Wild. It's incredibly chill, like ridiculously so. Tracking an animal and making a clean shot taps into that same sense of satisfaction as pulling off a clean snipe in Hitman or Arma, except with no real consequence for missing beyond whatever annoyance you feel with yourself. Whatever, go find another deer. Man, these trees are loving pretty.

Don't let the amount of DLC put you off; the base game has many hours of content, and the DLC is basically "I'd like to mess around with niche weapons or new locales or have a dog" stuff that is neat, but not essential. I played the base game for a good 15 hours before I delved into the DLC.

Shine fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 29, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Shine posted:

Please immediately play theHunter: Call of the Wild. It's incredibly chill, like ridiculously so. Tracking an animal and making a clean shot taps into that same sense of satisfaction as pulling off a clean snipe in Hitman or Arma, except with no real consequence for missing beyond whatever annoyance you feel with yourself. Whatever, go find another deer. Man, these trees are loving pretty.

Don't let the amount of DLC put you off; the base game has many hours of content, and the DLC is basically "I'd like to mess around with niche weapons or new locales or have a dog" stuff that is neat, but not essential. I played the base game for a good 15 hours before I delved into the DLC.

I'll look into this.

Fallout 4 seems okay so far. I got the dialogue mod since I heard that's important, and someone mentioned a settlement attack mod or something. How do I take power armor off or use vats? I just got the power armor so maybe I don't get vats yet

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Vats should be available from the word go or close to it. :raise: I think they changed the default key from V to Q maybe? Power armor you have to hold down...I think it's just the use button.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Borderlands 2 is my go-to "turn your brain off and just run around shooting without too much challenge but still having a good time" game

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, I just finished a replay of Resident Evil 4, and I realized that despite being very different mechanically, it has the same vibes as Parasite Eve in a lot of ways:
- survival horror trappings but you are rarely in actual danger of running out of health or ammo
- combat is frequent and a major focus of the game
- wide selection of weapons with upgrade/customization system
- body-horror enemies
- story that makes no goddamn sense
- "puzzles" that also make no goddamn sense

Setting aside sequels like PE2 and RE5, what other games nail that feel, especially the first three points? Just looking for "survival horror" doesn't really help because, e.g., Resident Evil 1 and Silent Hill taste completely different.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would suggest the original F.E.A.R. but it's only available as part of a $55 bundle of all 3 F.E.A.R. games on Steam :pwn:

FEAR2 is pretty good, FEAR3 was very different and pretty mediocre, the bundle is not worth $55 though.

You might like Killing Floor. It's much more actiony and it's a multiplayer co-op wave defense thing. Almost no story to speak of but lots of body horror monsters, constant combat, lots of weapons (though not much weapon customization unless it's new since I last played). Don't be scared off by the amount of DLC, it's almost entirely Killing Floor 1 cosmetic character skin DLC.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've played quite a lot of both FEAR and Killing Floor, as it happens, and enjoyed both.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
FEAR is great because it tries to be scary, but your character can kill a grown-rear end man with a flying kick and you have a gun that shoots giant metal spikes. The only truly spooky poo poo happen in cutscenes, where you can't just kick things until they go away. It owns.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh yeah, FEAR is a strong rec from me. They somehow managed to make a game where 90% of the levels are interchangeable corporate offices and 90% of the enemies are interchangeable gun-toting goons and make it fun as hell entirely on the strength of the presentation and gunplay. Also, one of your guns is a laser that instantly skeletonizes whatever it hits.

Not really the vibe I'm looking for, but I have fond memories of it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ToxicFrog posted:

So, I just finished a replay of Resident Evil 4, and I realized that despite being very different mechanically, it has the same vibes as Parasite Eve in a lot of ways:
- survival horror trappings but you are rarely in actual danger of running out of health or ammo
- body-horror enemies

Setting aside sequels like PE2 and RE5, what other games nail that feel, especially the first three points? Just looking for "survival horror" doesn't really help because, e.g., Resident Evil 1 and Silent Hill taste completely different.

Stalker? FPS with horror elements and I think it's quite scary at times, although you do spend more time fighting men than mutants. There's some stronger survival aspects and the combat can be quickly lethal, but if you edit your carrying capacity to be massive then you are no longer really in danger of ever running out of anything. Getting through the anomalies are like solving puzzles, the story is wacky, there's light weapon upgrading (much more so in the third one, Call of Pripyat). Checks a lot of your boxes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

- body-horror enemies

Take a look at Control. It's basically "SCP Institute: The Game". It's very action oriented and has excellent combat and super powers, a very creepy dimensional horror thing going on, and has multiple weapons and an upgrade and mod system. Has puzzles and a story that makes bo sense too! It's a Very Good Game.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 31, 2022

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

- body-horror enemies

Dark Souls fits every single one of these points despite being clearly not what you are looking for. I am an evil genie!!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ToxicFrog posted:

- body-horror enemies

Dead Space is an obvious solution. It clearly deraws a lot of influence frome RE4.

Except for the body horror aspect, Dino Crisis 2 might fit. It was kind of a prototype for RE4.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

- body-horror enemies

My first thought was Dead Rising, but for something more contemporary, there's Metal Gear Solid V.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would suggest the original F.E.A.R. but it's only available as part of a $55 bundle of all 3 F.E.A.R. games on Steam :pwn:

FEAR2 is pretty good, FEAR3 was very different and pretty mediocre, the bundle is not worth $55 though.

Protip: Always buy WB games on Fanatical, because they have some kind of sweetheart deal. You can get all the FEAR games dirt cheap there right now, and all separately too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

- body-horror enemies

Control is a close fit but you are ALWAYS in danger of running out of health despite enemies dropping health pickups on death, because a lot of enemies do a full health bar of damage if they hit you(like, for instance, with homing rockets). The game has inbuilt oneshot protection so you usually wind up at 1 hp instead of dying out of nowhere, but personally I think it's best if you go into the difficulty options and reduce incoming damage by at least 50%. Also I'd advise ignoring the random alerts and the jukebox, they are both even more badly balanced than the core game. Also telekinetically throwing objects is generally the strongest offensive option, unfortunately. If you fiddle with the difficulty options a bit more you could do a guns-only run?
There are some puzzles, but mostly involving interacting with the environment instead of weird Resident Evil type stuff like finding weird keys and solving riddles.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 31, 2022

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ToxicFrog posted:

- body-horror enemies

The Metro series is heavy in combat, and has survival elements about surviving in a post nuclear apocalyptic cityscape. There's enough guns and ammo around that you use bullets as a currency. The one thing you might run short on is filters for your gas mask that you need to have on to survive in contaminated areas. You'll find enough filters if you just keep moving whenever you're in one of those places.

I'd start with Last Light, the first game is a bit rough.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think the first game starts with 2 or 3 unwinnable setpieces. They drove me away. I might try again now that I've read the source material.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

These are all solid recs, even if not all of them are really the vibe I'm looking for, and I know that because I've already played all of those games to completion. :negative: Oh well. Thanks for reminding me about all these good games I've already played :v:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e: wrong thread

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
What games for a weak olderWindows laptop or basic simple Android phone are good for heavy reading or narration?

Looking at some options that would be good to have fun with developing some character work - as in voice over characters.

Want to really get into it so any well written dialogue or narration heavy games should work well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Planescape: Torment? It's an old and very well-regarded CRPG.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Not sure how old or low power you mean but these are the minimum system requirements to run Disco Elysium:

Memory: 2 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Q6867
File Size: 20 GB

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Not sure how old or low power you mean but these are the minimum system requirements to run Disco Elysium:

Additionally, a previous history of alcohol abuse and/or a painful breakup highly recommended but not required.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

These are all solid recs, even if not all of them are really the vibe I'm looking for, and I know that because I've already played all of those games to completion. :negative: Oh well. Thanks for reminding me about all these good games I've already played :v:

Oh, hmm. What about Zombie Shooter, and its offshoots?

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Planescape: Torment? It's an old and very well-regarded CRPG.

Party Boat posted:

Familiar with both these bad boys but not from a 'having played them' perspective.

Maybe I should jump in one if they are reading heavy which that I wasn't aware of - thanks for the reminders!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i3lueHorneT posted:

Familiar with both these bad boys but not from a 'having played them' perspective.

Maybe I should jump in one if they are reading heavy which that I wasn't aware of - thanks for the reminders!

Planescape Torment has a word count of about 800,000 lol (by comparison LotR is about 550,000). I love both games to death but they're essentially visual novels with a very thin RPG veneer.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Yeah I think the LP of Planescape Torment clocked in at around 2m words lol

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Galick posted:

Yeah I think the LP of Planescape Torment clocked in at around 2m words lol

It's a really excellent LP - given how well done the LP is and how marginal the actual experience of Planescape's gameplay and combat is, there's a case to be made that reading the LP is better than playing the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're going to play Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium, it is absolutely essential to play them in release order.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

i3lueHorneT posted:

What games for a weak olderWindows laptop or basic simple Android phone are good for heavy reading or narration?

Looking at some options that would be good to have fun with developing some character work - as in voice over characters.

Want to really get into it so any well written dialogue or narration heavy games should work well.

If you like PS:T, there's a bunch of other RPGs in the same style (branching plot, very heavy and dialogue and narration, kinda janky gameplay) worth checking out, and many of them are old enough or low-budget enough to run on a toaster; off the top of my head you have:
- Black Isle's other work like Fallout 1/2 and Icewind Dale 1/2
- Arcanum
- everything by Spiderweb Software (Geneforge, Avernum, Queen's Wish, etc)

Might also be worth looking at Betrayal at Krondor, an old DOS game based on R.E. Feist's novels that aimed to evoke the feel of "playing a book"; cutscenes are text with coloured illustrations, and even UI actions like examining an item in your inventory will produce a few sentences about the character inspecting it rather than just a description of the item. And of course there is no voice acting for any of the conversations, so you get to practice both narration and character-to-character dialogue, as with the RPGs above.

gohuskies posted:

It's a really excellent LP - given how well done the LP is and how marginal the actual experience of Planescape's gameplay and combat is, there's a case to be made that reading the LP is better than playing the game.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

i3lueHorneT posted:

I'm not sure it's word-heavy enough, but Golden Treasure: The Great Green (https://dreaming-door.itch.io/gt1 and https://store.steampowered.com/app/1065100/Golden_Treasure_The_Great_Green/) has very low system requirements, and I like the writing. You won't be voicing lines for many humanoid characters though.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
[how this posted a reply here i'll never know]

i3lueHorneT fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Perhaps I will voice over the let's play (not sure if I'm joking myself either).

ultrafilter posted:

If you're going to play Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium, it is absolutely essential to play them in release order.

Ok glad this was posted - was thinking about DE

ToxicFrog posted:

If you like PS:T, there's a bunch of other RPGs in the same style (branching plot, very heavy and dialogue and narration, kinda janky gameplay) worth checking out, and many of them are old enough or low-budget enough to run on a toaster; off the top of my head you have:
- Black Isle's other work like Fallout 1/2 and Icewind Dale 1/2
- Arcanum
- everything by Spiderweb Software (Geneforge, Avernum, Queen's Wish, etc)

Might also be worth looking at Betrayal at Krondor, an old DOS game based on R.E. Feist's novels that aimed to evoke the feel of "playing a book"; cutscenes are text with coloured illustrations, and even UI actions like examining an item in your inventory will produce a few sentences about the character inspecting it rather than just a description of the item. And of course there is no voice acting for any of the conversations, so you get to practice both narration and character-to-character dialogue, as with the RPGs above.

Mnm - yeah I was braindead thinking of a good many of these - I am indeed aware of each title referenced aside from Queens Wish & the DOS title Betrayal at Krondor which honestly sounds really well done & interesting (honestly focusing on making a modern take on text adventures into a website or something would be a nice little background hobby for myself) & believed them to have a good deal of writing - for whatever reason thought PT was action heavy - anyway - having played none actually but game review mags & youtube nostalgia videos, game talk, etc - thought I did play Pillars of Eternity for a bit - would late night / early morning live stream that game - quite different from my background & usual fair of competitive fps titles - was nice finding voice over character work for the dialogue - pretty much shot my vo curiosity in the rear end & got me thinking more about it all.

Ok - I need to get sleep omg, I give up all effort to edit that lol.

Thank you kindly all who added to my list.