Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Started Signalis and it does a great job of making even the save rooms feel discomforting with white text on a red background for the save screen.

If you continue without saving you get a message of YOU WILL REGRET THIS LATER.

Watched on and off as a friend binged it for like 8 hours straight last night and gotta say the part where you continue your save after the credits roll was fuckin spiff. Also really nails that PS1 prerendered backgrounds vibe despite not being such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I just started another playthrough of Saints Row 3 and I just noticed that if you pull your car to the side of the road with music on pedestrians will start dancing when they get close.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/IneptFredda/status/1585751286829715456

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In watchdogs 2 if you park beneath a tree leaves fall on your car, and when you drive away they fly off

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In Resident Evil 8, the rare cutscene outside of first-person view takes care to obscure main character Ethan's face. There's new DLC out that adds a third-person camera to the game, but if you try to see his face he always turns away before it's fully in view, despite the previous third-person games having freely rotatable cameras. I just appreciate their commitment to the bit, despite the fact that it's completely pointless since official character art exists and we already know exactly what Ethan's face looks like in all its blandness.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Captain Hygiene posted:

In Resident Evil 8, the rare cutscene outside of first-person view takes care to obscure main character Ethan's face. There's new DLC out that adds a third-person camera to the game, but if you try to see his face he always turns away before it's fully in view, despite the previous third-person games having freely rotatable cameras. I just appreciate their commitment to the bit, despite the fact that it's completely pointless since official character art exists and we already know exactly what Ethan's face looks like in all its blandness.

I'm pretty sure there's no "official art" of Ethan's face excluding his 3D model in Village which you can only see by hacking.

There's a lot of fan art which people mistake for official renders though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

They should have a pixel censor on it if you actually manage to get his face in view

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
As someone who's not played and probably won't play that game, why is it important that we don't see his face?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

credburn posted:

As someone who's not played and probably won't play that game, why is it important that we don't see his face?

Spoiler:

he's wesker

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From what I've heard about the games, I assumed it's an open question how human he still looks

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

He's just such a boring generic whiteguy protagonist that he's literally faceless.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Morpheus posted:

The fact that all the interface in that game, including the inventory, health, and even the indicator that showed where to go to progress, was all diegetic was such a great move by the devs

I liked in the lightgun spinoff for the Wii, Dead Space Extraction, it does a little fakeout at the start where it looks like you're in the same third person view, but then you realize you're just looking at the guy standing in front of you.

Also the plot of the game is pretty funny, because this group of assholes were responsible for like, a good third of the things Isaac has to fix later on (it's a prequel). Notably the loving asteroid defense system- it was them who turned it off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mazerunner posted:

I liked in the lightgun spinoff for the Wii, Dead Space Extraction, it does a little fakeout at the start where it looks like you're in the same third person view, but then you realize you're just looking at the guy standing in front of you.

I love that bit, because it hangs on that shot JUST long enough to make you wonder if you need to push something to control them before the guy walks away.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

credburn posted:

It isn't, he's just a faceless protagonist. RE7 was entirety in first person and they never made any character art showing what the protagonist looked like. So for RE8 they're just playing into the joke that you never see his face. They even put out promotional art of him leading up to the release of RE8 this time, his face was entirely in shadow.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That actually just sounds fun. It feels like the Resident Evil team really know their lane - that horror doesn't have to be 10000% serial and actually can be a lot of fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

It isn't, he's just a faceless protagonist. RE7 was entirety in first person and they never made any character art showing what the protagonist looked like. So for RE8 they're just playing into the joke that you never see his face. They even put out promotional art of him leading up to the release of RE8 this time, his face was entirely in shadow.

The new DLC is entirely third person so when Ethan appears in a flashback or something he is positioned so something is always blocking his face.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no "official art" of Ethan's face excluding his 3D model in Village which you can only see by hacking.

There's a lot of fan art which people mistake for official renders though.

Oh huh, I guess I got got by the fans! Yeah, some of the wikis have had at that looks like I'd expect for official stuff, but I guess that was me just assuming after all.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

lord funk posted:

A friend of mine enlisted his dorm mates to beat it on a NES. They grinded for weeks before finally beating it.

This was all pre-Twitch / streaming / speedrunning. It was just to see that they could do it. To accomplish something impossible. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.
My junior year, my housemates and I decided to try and collectively beat Battletoads co-op via emulator. Through a combination of learned muscle memory and wildly abusing savestates we were able to get past multiple horrible race levels and difficult segments, until we got to the point where you have to outrun some saw blades. We gave up after realizing it was physically impossible due to co-op lag.

Hel posted:

I've been playing Gotham Knights, the Not Arkham Batman game from the devs of Arkham Origins, and it's mostly pretty Ok, with a few issues here and there. There is however one detail I really like, there is very pointedly no Joker in it, despite the game referring to Barbara's back being broken and Jason Todd being killed, he's never mentioned in relation to that. The closest it actually gets is referring to him is as "Harley Quinn's old partner". It's a tiny thing, but honestly felt really refreshing after every other Batman game just crams him in everywhere because he's the most recognizable villain.
DC electing to sideline Joker instead of him being in loving everything has honestly been really nice, because he just sucks complete rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

forest spirit posted:

That actually just sounds fun. It feels like the Resident Evil team really know their lane - that horror doesn't have to be 10000% serial and actually can be a lot of fun

Kinda the whole deal with Resident Evil originally is that they played all the action movie stereotypes 100% straight along with the horror and it ended up a fun mix of serious and camp, but they didn't really understand that as they tried to do it on purpose.

Zero_Grade posted:

My junior year, my housemates and I decided to try and collectively beat Battletoads co-op via emulator. Through a combination of learned muscle memory and wildly abusing savestates we were able to get past multiple horrible race levels and difficult segments, until we got to the point where you have to outrun some saw blades. We gave up after realizing it was physically impossible due to co-op lag.

DC electing to sideline Joker instead of him being in loving everything has honestly been really nice, because he just sucks complete rear end.

Yeah, a lot of those famously hard games are flat out bullshit like that with gameplay changeup segments that require at best ridiculous amounts of trial and error.

And I think someone at DC finally realised they absolutely ran the character into the ground. That or Harley lets them do basically the same thing but also have boobs.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda the whole deal with Resident Evil originally is that they played all the action movie stereotypes 100% straight along with the horror and it ended up a fun mix of serious and camp, but they didn't really understand that as they tried to do it on purpose.

The first game has Chris laughing in Wesker's face when he reveals the final boss and his evil plan. It's always been on purpose.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Zero_Grade posted:

I had someone point at that at the time they couldn't easily make games long (without the battery in the cartridge to enable saves), so ensuring that someone could play the same game for many hours meant making the game very difficult, if not impossible, to beat. That explains a lot of my experiences playing NES games as a kid.

Zero_Grade posted:

Joker in the latest season of the Harley TV show is pretty decent, especially since he has very little screen time. I'd be fine with him not showing up anywhere else for quite a while.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

jjack229 posted:

I had someone point at that at the time they couldn't easily make games long (without the battery in the cartridge to enable saves), so ensuring that someone could play the same game for many hours meant making the game very difficult, if not impossible, to beat. That explains a lot of my experiences playing NES games as a kid.

Yes, a lot of difficulty from earlier games came from two things.

Them being ports of arcade quarter munchers, stripped of the ability for you to buy more continues.

Or to extend the length of an otherwise extremely short game.
Seriously, if you haven't done so, check out some longplays of early NES games it's crazy how quickly you can beat them.
Like the original Contra can be beaten in less than fifteen minutes if you don't die.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Pulsarcat posted:

Seriously, if you haven't done so, check out some longplays of early NES games it's crazy how quickly you can beat them.
Like the original Contra can be beaten in less than fifteen minutes if you don't die.

https://youtu.be/4JqayVd48FI

Despite Conta being one of the go-to games when I would visit my cousins, I don't think we made it past the 2:30 min mark very often, and I don't recognize the game by the 6:50 mark.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zero_Grade posted:

IIRC the NES Battletoads game is straight-up bugged so 2P's controls don't work on one of the levels. If you want to do co-op for that game, then you have to let 2P game over and then continue on the next stage.

But yeah, in most games co-op makes things easier. Not so much in Battletoads.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
signalis might have actually threaded the needle of a setting that's ambiguously "real" without just being someone's guilty death fantasy and that is worthy of a gold medal in today's horror landscape

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Prodeus is so goddamned good. Most fun I've had with a FPS since Doom 2016 and the soundtrack is just amazing but why oh why does the sniper rifle not have a zoom? WTF is even the point?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The last thing I'd want in a retro shooter is to worry about zooming in with a scope. Though I guess that just shifts the question to why have a sniper rifle at all then.

Pulsarcat posted:

Yes, a lot of difficulty from earlier games came from two things.

Them being ports of arcade quarter munchers, stripped of the ability for you to buy more continues.

Or to extend the length of an otherwise extremely short game.

You also had the rental market leading to at least some games being intentionally made (or changed to be) way more difficult so you couldn't readily beat them over a weekend or w/e.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

John Murdoch posted:

You also had the rental market leading to at least some games being intentionally made (or changed to be) way more difficult so you couldn't readily beat them over a weekend or w/e.

Yep! The Lion King video game is a perfect example of this. The devs had to go back and make the monkey part harder because Disney told them that they had metrics that told them people wouldn't buy the game if they were able to complete at least half of it during a rental period.

(Timestamped to relevant part)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILeyo1iv0A&t=1109s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

signalis might have actually threaded the needle of a setting that's ambiguously "real" without just being someone's guilty death fantasy and that is worthy of a gold medal in today's horror landscape

Yeah, so far I really like how it starts in a fairly mundane manner, then gets intriguingly weird very quickly, but not so far that it feels like it's all just a dream or pure allegory.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Battletoads is not that hard.

I mean, it is, but it's not nearly the game everyone makes it out to be. The first level is easy. The second level is tricky. The third level is the first "race" level and it does kind of punish you for not memorizing a few spots, but it's easily doable.

The levels that are loving impossible are the flying lava fire one (skippable via warp) and the one where you have to outrun a big swirl. Actually, I don't know why I never could beat the big swirl. It's as far as I ever got.

Like, every Mega Man but Mega Man 2 is harder than Battletoads.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

I mean, it is, but it's not nearly the game everyone makes it out to be. The first level is easy. The second level is tricky. The third level is the first "race" level and it does kind of punish you for not memorizing a few spots, but it's easily doable.

The levels that are loving impossible are the flying lava fire one (skippable via warp) and the one where you have to outrun a big swirl. Actually, I don't know why I never could beat the big swirl. It's as far as I ever got.

I feel like "This game isn't that hard, I just never actually beat it" kinda defeats your own point.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like "This game isn't that hard, I just never actually beat it" kinda defeats your own point.

I mean

okay but

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

forest spirit posted:

Re8’s plot is basically a Universal monster mash.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd hazard a guess that the main issue that makes Battletoads into a notably hard game is that most of its levels are gimmick levels. With a game like Mega Man, you're using the same skillset in every level, so by the time you're halfway done, you're probably pretty good at it. But in Battletoads, almost every level requires a different set of skills, or changes the controls in some way. You're constantly having to adapt, and every level is a potential roadblock if you don't understand what the game wants you to do, or if for some reason you aren't able to perform that specific task well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Every Mega Man but the first has a password save though, and not many require the kind of precision BT does.

Like there are many many points in BT where not doing the one correct input leads to death.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Prodeus is so goddamned good. Most fun I've had with a FPS since Doom 2016 and the soundtrack is just amazing but why oh why does the sniper rifle not have a zoom? WTF is even the point?

Think of it less as a sniper rifle and more Doom 2016's Gauss Cannon in siege mode

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Every Mega Man but the first has a password save though, and not many require the kind of precision BT does.

Like there are many many points in BT where not doing the one correct input leads to death.

The final jump in the snow level is pixel-perfect to make it across the gap, AND not hit the overhang. From a sliding start.

Clinger-Winger also needs you to know exactly how to time the corners without losing velocity or you're done.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

Think of it less as a sniper rifle and more Doom 2016's Gauss Cannon in siege mode

I’m getting better with it but enemies attack from so far away you almost need a zoom - like, there are places when you are clearly meant to use it to snipe/counter-snipe far-off enemies but it’s hard without any zoom at all. The fact that shotguns aren’t able to hit more than one enemy is annoying too but overall I’m having a great time with it. Also auto-sprint should be on by default. Turning that on and rebinding dash/dodge to the O button makes the controls feel a lot tighter.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Oct 30, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Crowetron posted:

The first game has Chris laughing in Wesker's face when he reveals the final boss and his evil plan. It's always been on purpose.

C-Chris, stop it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
And then Chris hit the roids and it all went downhill from there