Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://youtu.be/sQf6t9Kut10
TIL 0ctrl can be used as a sub oscillator. Thanks loopop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

thinking about getting a system 8

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
well, have my last purchase paid off (new rack). Got a new credit card, I have until the end of the year to spend $700 more to get $200 back (I do this every year, and cycle out an old card).

I think qu-bit Bloom is next. Sweetwater is sending me a Quandrax at some point and then I will want a clock divider. Any suggestions ? Noise Engineering Integra Solum looks awesome but is discontinued, if still somewhat available. (and lol there's $700 in poo poo right there, sooooo)

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Can’t go wrong with Pam’s!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

well, have my last purchase paid off (new rack). Got a new credit card, I have until the end of the year to spend $700 more to get $200 back (I do this every year, and cycle out an old card).

Uh, is that a good idea…?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish someday I could come into this thread like “quick! I gotta spend 700 dollars!”

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

I think qu-bit Bloom is next. Sweetwater is sending me a Quandrax at some point and then I will want a clock divider. Any suggestions ?

Just a PSA, for niche stuff, esp euro, "We can get it!" doesn't always mean they can get it. I'm sure Quadrax will come along but for more obscure stuff or something one wants with any expedience I'd keep hunting. They're better than some shops but.~
Was just about to suggest the Circuit Abbey G8, but it is also discontinued. Nice offering for the size though, multiple modes, CV addressable.
Doepfer's new take on the venerable A-160 looks very nice https://doepfer.de/a1602.htm

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A friend let me borrow a first gen Rene and this thing has sooooo many features. It's going to take a while to really get a handle on it but there's so many possiblities. Also got me to check out James Cigler's old tutorial videos and they are super informative but it's interesting to see how far production quality for modular vids have come along as well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Pollyanna posted:

Uh, is that a good idea…?

You tell me, at this point I've been doing this for like a decade, have gotten a couple thousand dollars in cash back, and currently have a credit score that's just under 800. The trick is to not do it too often, be very careful about closing cards especially if you're about to buy a car or something (wait until after you buy the car, though IME the credit ding is very minimal) and most importantly don't use this as a way to get a million cards that actually have balances on them

i think it's a good idea if you can do all that, but I bet more people just spiral into debt trying, so :shrug: Back when they used to travel more, my dad did this same thing for airline-point cards and it paid for their 3-4 flights a year for several years running.

edit: also a lot of the cards with the best cash back (every $500 card I've seen has been like this, also, I haven't seen a $500-back offer since 2019) have a annual fee after the first year which means the correct time to cancel them is 11 months after you opened them (and 10 months after you fully paid off the balance you accrued to get the cash back), because of course you don't want to pay for credit cards in most circumstances.

Startyde posted:

Just a PSA, for niche stuff, esp euro, "We can get it!" doesn't always mean they can get it. I'm sure Quadrax will come along but for more obscure stuff or something one wants with any expedience I'd keep hunting.

Yea, I know there's nothing magic per se about the quandrax but I have a quadvca to put it next to and I didn't mind waiting, in fact, it's to my advantage financially, ha.

As far as Bloom goes, that thing is pretty easy to get, which is good, because while there's a lot of generative sequencing options, that one looks pretty special, I have watched some hours of video now.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 28, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modules/p/divide-and-conquer

I use the vcv rack version of this one. Works good. Got all kinds of divisions.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

B33rChiller posted:

https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modules/p/divide-and-conquer

I use the vcv rack version of this one. Works good. Got all kinds of divisions.

The flaw with this one is there’s no reset, and very often it ends up one tick off from where I expect it (might be a Muxlicer issue).

It’s a fun, cheap DIY build, but I wouldn’t recommend it as someone’s primary clock divider.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Guys it looks like I’m moving apartments in December.

My next one is going to have an extra room.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I've got the Doepfer A-160 clock divider, it's totally OK and serviceable, but not particularly exciting

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-160

The 4ms Rotating Clock Divider was on my wishlist a long time before getting the Doepfer one instead. I realized I can do a lot of what I would want out of the 4ms one with other modules, like the Pamela's Workout, so why bother. I even held off on a clock divider a while because of Pamela's Workout, but I hit a point where I was using all output of the Workout and the clock divider became useful to get.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I think I will just hope I can still find a used Integra Solum for 200ish when I am ready to do it :shrug:

I also have PNW, and I can send clock from that to a beatstep pro which gives me a bunch of additional options, but just having another module handling some of that would be cool, also easier to randomize a bit with CV.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve been trying to get the most out of clock dividers and sequential switches recently. Kind of a rudimentary form of sequencing, almost.

I still don’t completely understand every cool trick you can do with them. Got something brewing in my head about exploring patterns and call-and-responses and poo poo, but I can’t really put it into words yet.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Has anyone else played around with that Patch Card Game yet? My partner got me it for my birthday a few months ago, and I shamefully haven't tried it yet. It seems like an amazing concept (draw cards with rules on how to patch your modules), but the execution kind of sucked, a lot of the cards felt pretty boring. Maybe in practice it ends up working out? I should find time this weekend to setup my synthesizer. I let my Eurorack rack grow out of control and now it's a whole thing to set it up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is ther eanything comparable to a Maths that is a little smaller or is it really that one of kind module?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

net work error posted:

Is ther eanything comparable to a Maths that is a little smaller or is it really that one of kind module?

The Make Noise Function is about 1/3 of a Maths (or 1/2, depending on how you do the math), but it's missing the part of Maths I use the most, the middle part.

The Maths is basically two Functions on the outsides and some tools for adding/subtracting signals in the middle.

https://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/function

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

net work error posted:

Befaco Rampage is 2hp smaller, a bit different and doesn’t have the equivalent of channels 2 and 3 on Maths. I’ll build one eventually, but I went with a Maths pretty early on.

Maths is basically a Swiss Army knife for when you don’t have many utility modules, but also remains extremely useful after you get some.

There’s a video out there demonstrating all the modules you’d need to replicate Maths, and none of them do it all in less than 20hp. For example, Befaco Rampage plus Befaco Dual Attenuverter gets you most of the way there, but at 23hp. I can’t find the video right now, but if I do later I’ll post it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Found it:

https://youtu.be/HJFiwu4pcNY

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anything thats a "VCS" (voltage-controlled slope) which is the serge circuit that Maths is based on is like Maths. Doepfer makes a 1 channel, this a maximal take https://afterlateraudio.com/products/qarv, DUSG and all its children, WMD positronic gate, Rat king event for an updated DIY take. Seen a couple 4hp ones from various small makers/kits but blanking on who.

The other half is a decent DC mixer with normalling from the slopes. It takes a lot of influence from the Buchla 257... but also thats one of the least Buchla buchlas so whatever. 4ms SISM, Happy Nerding 3xMIA, or, wild card, the Behringer Roland 297, (among many others) get you basically there.

If you really like that particular mixer for your Serge slopes its probably hard to get more HP efficient. But there's bonuses to be had depending on what corners you cut.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I think I will just hope I can still find a used Integra Solum for 200ish when I am ready to do it :shrug:

I also have PNW, and I can send clock from that to a beatstep pro which gives me a bunch of additional options, but just having another module handling some of that would be cool, also easier to randomize a bit with CV.

Consider getting the Pexp-1 expander for PNW as well, it has several clock multiply/divide outputs and gives it MIDI clock output for like a hundo.

I decided to trade in my Neutron towards a Castor & Pollux kit, and also snagged a Blue Lantern Steiner VCF at the same time. The BLM filter sounds a lot better than the Neutron's, and I've been wanting a C&P for a long time. Plus the BLM VCF has dedicated inputs for HP, BP and LP filtering, which means it functions as a sort of crossfader as well. Patching the different outputs from C&P into the filter's various inputs, then using attenuated LFOs to modulate the filter cutoff and the C&P's two pulsewidths, makes for a loving awesome drone.

As for Maths talk, I have a Rampage that I'm quite happy with, and an Acid Rain Junction that gives me four attenuverters with bias, which is a similar amount of functionality plus a bit more in 2hp more. And I can actually read and understand the Rampage panel to boot. I need to learn so much more about the patch programming possibilities of the Rampage, though.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm starting to see the real marketing value of VCV rack free modules here. I've used Rampage so much, and took so long to learn a little bit about, that I have a very heavy bias towards buying one of those, should I start down the hardware route. Having to re-learn a new interface for mostly the same functionality, with some extras feels like a pita.
I can see this perspective is entirely due to Befaco having a suite of free modules to learn on in VCV, and I don't think Make Noise has anything on there.

edit: Holy smokes, a new Synclavier! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7r5oirbFUg

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 29, 2022

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

It’s not a 1:1 match but it’s great nonetheless. There’s built-in VCAs too

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Hit me up if any of y'all are looking for a Chaos Clank.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best function generator is VCV into an FH-2. :v:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Sweetwater pre-sold me a Quandrax and claimed they were billing me at the time (despite a ship date of Feb)

I have an invoice showing that I was charged $390 to my sweetwater card. My sweetwater card does not reflect this.

Guessing they did a temp hold which fell off and the actual charge will show up whenever they ship but in the mean time I can dream of a free Quandrax :laugh:

I also pulled the trigger on a Bloom and also got this VCA I know nothing about because I need more VCAs and 3x with knobs for under 100 seemed hard to beat? Hexvca would be the dream but it's 4x as expensive. https://www.perfectcircuit.com/noise-reap-3xvca.html

inexpensive, hopefully it doesn't melt my rack.

On that note, my Zlob SVF wasn't working in the new rackbrute and I realized it was because I had it all the way to the left and the rackbrute walls are metal and the SVF pins stick off enough it was shorting itself in the case siding. Something about that seems incorrect, but to be fair I am using the rackbrute more or less upside down.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Rolo posted:

Guys it looks like I’m moving apartments in December.

My next one is going to have an extra room.

:sickos:

And I'm sure you guys know already but Plugin Alliance is having a Halloween sale, plugins for $28. I snagged Silo because I'm a whore for granular.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

B33rChiller posted:

I'm starting to see the real marketing value of VCV rack free modules here. I've used Rampage so much, and took so long to learn a little bit about, that I have a very heavy bias towards buying one of those, should I start down the hardware route. Having to re-learn a new interface for mostly the same functionality, with some extras feels like a pita.
I can see this perspective is entirely due to Befaco having a suite of free modules to learn on in VCV, and I don't think Make Noise has anything on there.

edit: Holy smokes, a new Synclavier! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7r5oirbFUg

Ya know what's even better than 1 Rampage?!

2 Rampages!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

dexefiend posted:

Ya know what's even better than 1 Rampage?!

2 Rampages!
Right click --> duplicate with cables

I guess I just buy components and modules that don't need a case or rack
https://youtu.be/bpMm7CgMgGk
These 0hp lpgs are sweet. They just showed up, and I'm already thinking I should have ordered a couple more.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 30, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My current setup is the Make Noise trio (0-coast/ctrl and Strega) modulated by this little rack along with a DFAM.
Currently I have from the Pams, Wogglebug, and Rene but was planning on adding the Maths, Imitor and a small mixer since I would want to get the level back to line level to plug into mixers.

Does that seems like a reasonable setup or am I getting redundant modules or better off with one over another?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Woggle and Rene duplicate a lot of functionality (Maths does too but more flexibly)

That might be fine though, this literally all depends on how you patch and what you wanna do

All the MN stuff is patch programmable enough that having 2 of the same thing isn't necessarily a duplication

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

One thing I really like about the Rene that makes me hesistant to let it go is how tactile it is once you get your scale set. It takes up so much space though.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Playing with new modules, and sometimes the different part of the patch just don't work together. like this
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/oddpatch

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Modular synthesis is pretty good at generating new and exciting modulation, but what about the higher level? What options do we have for making a long-form track, with call-and-responses and binary forms and AABB and poo poo?

I got curious so I slammed a bunch of sequential switches and assorted fuckery into VCV:

I kinda like the result, though I'm not yet experienced enough to really take advantage of it.

Here's a snippet:

https://on.soundcloud.com/haVbk

Anyone here smarter/more experienced than me and have tips in what direction I should be headed?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 31, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Modular synthesis is pretty good at generating new and exciting modulation, but what about the higher level? What options do we have for making a long-form track, with call-and-responses and binary forms and AABB and poo poo?

With VCV, I feed CV into the 'seq#' port of a gate-seq-64 module. This lets me set up as many patterns as I want and use an LFO to select one. Usually a S&H or a 'digital sequencer' module.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Right click --> duplicate with cables

I guess I just buy components and modules that don't need a case or rack
https://youtu.be/bpMm7CgMgGk
These 0hp lpgs are sweet. They just showed up, and I'm already thinking I should have ordered a couple more.

well, if I didn't alreasdy want a Strega pretty bad....

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Red Means Recording made the filter comparison video I've desperately been wanting since learning more about filter architectures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgzng2hb50

Finally, somebody gets out of the way and just goes, "here's what each different filter architecture sounds with this base oscillator and sequence". Also, it's a head-bobber of a little jam.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Hit me up if any of y'all are looking for a Chaos Clank.
Check your PMs (albeit not re: a Chaos Clank.) ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RocketMermaid posted:

Red Means Recording made the filter comparison video I've desperately been wanting since learning more about filter architectures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgzng2hb50

Finally, somebody gets out of the way and just goes, "here's what each different filter architecture sounds with this base oscillator and sequence". Also, it's a head-bobber of a little jam.

I'm gonna watch this