Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

Belichick is the defacto GM? Unless :thejoke: in which case I'm sorry

He's not the GM, we know who's been in charge of their last few drafts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Bill abusively named that dog Nike after the company, not the god

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ASAPRockySituation posted:

MLF is at risk imo

Pack look bad and it can’t all be blamed on 12

Lack of functional WRs and an underperforming defense don’t help. Three 13 win seasons buys him at least another year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A 42-14 coach is not on the hot seat, what are we doing here

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1586143850590048257?s=20&t=m5VwM8t7BioJV3H-eomjTw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maxwell Lacob Friedman

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nfl really is a combination of wrestling and basketball

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Benne posted:

Agreed. LaFleur has an historic first three years record for a head coach. Whether that’s a fluke due to Rodgers is yet to be seen. But if GB fired LaFleur at the end of this season, he’d be instantly snatched up by someone else. Heck, some teams that weren’t going to fire their HC might for a chance at him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Benne posted:

He should be. He's a bad coach.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Woozie66 posted:

Shannys favorite QB he's ever coached is famously Kirk Cousins. I totally buy that he loved Mac, even if he changed his mind and went Lance.

Do you also believe Carroll, Belichick, Reid, etc don't tell the GM what to do?

Look, you can say a lot about him but Kirk isn't jimmy g. kirk's downfall is he wants to do the play as executed exactly, and he won't make a play on his own, even though he's probably capable of it. jimmy's problem is the converse: he want to make a play on his own even though he's probably not capable of it even if the play as diagrammed is available.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I agree. Riding a historic talent who runs his own teams shouldn’t lend credibility to a coach. Have you seen how he’s mismanaged the run game for 2 years? What has he added to the team?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

He's not the GM, we know who's been in charge of their last few drafts

Finally, we've discovered Bill Belichick's endgame

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

I agree. Riding a historic talent who runs his own teams shouldn’t lend credibility to a coach. Have you seen how he’s mismanaged the run game for 2 years? What has he added to the team?

He also didn't change the offense at all even after Adams left. He's a rider on Rodgers' coat tails.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

Nathaniel Hackett was brains of the operation.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Aaron Rodgers cannot fail only be failed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Aaron Rodgers cannot fail only be failed

I mean he had one of the 2 or 3 best QB careers of the last 30 years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bad coaches don't go 39-10 with two NFCCG appearances in their first three seasons. And if you want to be lazy and claim that was all Aaron, I should remind you that the Packers went 7-9 and 6-9-1 in McCarthy's last two seasons there, and people thought Aaron was on the decline at the time. Surely LaFleur deserves some credit for getting two more MVP years out of his surly rear end?

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 29, 2022

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gonna agree mostly with benne. No way should green bay fire him, but I would be interested to see how he performs with rodgers being crap. If he can't adjust the offense to be more about the run game, then lol I'd not put much stock in him when Aaron hangs it up.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Aaron hitting the wall will give LaFleur some time to right the ship with Love at QB (possibly next year, maybe late this year?). Even if they have a losing season with Love at QB LaFleur is safe if the team (and Love) improves over the year.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Shanahan undoubtedly has input into drafting and trading decisions but he is not in fact the general manager of the san francisco 49ers, and it is also extremely premature to judge him or actual general manager John Lynch for the Trey Lance draft pick. We all know what Jimmy G is right now and he is adequate when the rest of the team around him is healthy - he's not super mobile nor is he super accurate but he is capable and can operate the complex offense. Shanahan's play calling and offensive schemes are so good that they're being copied all over the league, and the team's defense (again when healthy) has been dominant. Until this season with the apparent collapse of the rams and (surprisingly only mediocre) weakness in Seattle, the NFC West has been regarded as a very tough division to play in, and that factors as well. Generally 9ers fans and local media are not exactly calling for shanahan's head. Even with injuries the 49ers are looking to put together at least a middling season with a decent shot at a playoff spot and if they miss the playoffs people are going to attribute it to injuries, not coaching.

In short, Shanny gets at a minimum another year in SF, and it'd have to be a really lousy 2023 for that to be the end.

Health is a skill and so far trey Lance has missed 2 years due to injury. We absolutely can judge them for the pick because ultimately if he can't stay healthy he's not a viable quarterback. I mean he didn't play in 2020 due to COVId. Trey lance hasn't played a full season of football since 2019 like idk man I'm judging

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adaz posted:

Health is a skill and so far trey Lance has missed 2 years due to injury. We absolutely can judge them for the pick because ultimately if he can't stay healthy he's not a viable quarterback. I mean he didn't play in 2020 due to COVId. Trey lance hasn't played a full season of football since 2019 like idk man I'm judging

Lance wasn’t injured last year. The plan was to sit him for a year behind Jimmy. He played a bit when Jimmy was hurt.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lance wasn’t injured last year. The plan was to sit him for a year behind Jimmy. He played a bit when Jimmy was hurt.

He had a knee injury that caused him to miss a few games for sure and I think a hand injury as well

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adaz posted:

He had a knee injury that caused him to miss a few games for sure and I think a hand injury as well

He sprained his knee in the cardinals game but finished the game. Jimmy G started the next game because he was back from his injury. The finger thing was minor and happened in preseason and didn’t affect his availability to start the season. He wasn’t injury limited in 2021, he didn’t play because they didn’t plan for him to play.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

trey was technically unavailable for a game last year. everyone knows. everybody remembers nate sudfeld being qb2 behind jimmy rather than being qb2 behind trey for one game against the colts.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

really queer Christmas posted:

Gonna agree mostly with benne. No way should green bay fire him, but I would be interested to see how he performs with rodgers being crap. If he can't adjust the offense to be more about the run game, then lol I'd not put much stock in him when Aaron hangs it up.

I'm not sure I agree with you here, I think it might actually be easier to succeed without Rodgers than it is with a Rodgers who's just flatout cooked. Just because of the headaches and power struggles he brings to the equation.

edit: I'm not saying that's he's definitely finished, but if he is, that could be worse than life after him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Darth Brooks posted:

Aaron hitting the wall will give LaFleur some time to right the ship with Love at QB (possibly next year, maybe late this year?). Even if they have a losing season with Love at QB LaFleur is safe if the team (and Love) improves over the year.
They just gave Aaron an extension until 2026. It has outs after next year (they can get out in 2023 but it would be extremely painful dead cap hits).

really queer Christmas posted:

Lafleur's inability to adjust to Rodgers being crap is why I could see people arguing to fire Lafleur. Aaron Jones has been extremely effective at running the ball but he gets like... 10 rushes a game.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I believe LaFleur always calls 2 plays: a run and a pass play, and allows Rodgers to choose once he sees the defence. Rodgers probably tilts too much to pass, particularly when trailing. And LaFleur can't publicly correct him.
The running game is also severely hampered by the rookie WRs, because the blocking of the WRs is what opens up the huge lanes once the second level is reached. The rookies don't block so well. That is why an injured Lazard plagues the Packers so much. He is an excellent blocker.

This year, however, I see no halftime adjustments.

Also, if Rodgers has a thumb injury and can only play from the shotgun, come up with some else.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The NFL is going to collapse from lack of coaches and QBs.

FTFY

Danny LaFever posted:

Campbell will be safe this year. Although going 1-16 or something atrocious will put everyone in a bad spot.

If he has another season like this next year he'll be done. They gave him a six-year deal knowing it would be painful rebuild, and it doesn't sound like the owner is panicking over it.

If you can him who even takes the job? Who would want it. Lions are cursed.

Civilization only functions because it is filled with men who have more ambition than sense. They'll find someone if and when it comes to it.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He sprained his knee in the cardinals game but finished the game. Jimmy G started the next game because he was back from his injury. The finger thing was minor and happened in preseason and didn’t affect his availability to start the season. He wasn’t injury limited in 2021, he didn’t play because they didn’t plan for him to play.

My memory is wrong then my bad. I thought that knee injury kept him out most of the 2nd half of the year

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I expected as much. Don't know why others thought it controversial

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1586808016342491136

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Aren't a bunch of key Lions defensive players still on IR or only just coming back? Not that their defense was any better today, but I recall it being mentioned as part of the reason they started the season so badly on defense.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
the defense is totally lacking in talent in the back 7, they have the hardest schedule in the nfl, and most importantly who the gently caress is going to take the job?

genuinely, who would take this lions job if you only get two years while being chained to QB goof and having zero talent to work with. i think even if they want to mix it up they need to give him 1 more year just to at least be able to offer a young team thats ready for a new qb (and can finally afford to get rid of Goff)

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lions get the top pick and pick the right QB. They're coming into a good spot for rookie.

Then spend Rams pick and others on defense and spend money on that side of the ball.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
double post

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
He's doing better than Hue Jackson but man it feels like the same excuse to give Campbell year 3. They've got really big year 2 of the Browns teardown vibes just without a meddlesome owner.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If the Lions didn't do Hard Knocks and generate all this great PR for an awful coach there would probably be many voices calling for him to be fired by now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If the Lions didn't do Hard Knocks and generate all this great PR for an awful coach there would probably be many voices calling for him to be fired by now.

Yeah, all the same voices who only watch Detroit through other teams' highlight clips and couldn't name more than three players on the roster.

My first NFL game my dad took me to he told me to "root for Joey." Since then I've seen a lot of bad football, bad coaches, and half-assed rebuilds. Compared to all of those, I still like Campbell, I still like Holmes, and if they get a single game less than Patricia did I'm going to be apoplectic. Their predecessors left behind an absolute shell of a team, and better days are ahead. It's just gonna take a long-rear end time to get there, which is what everyone knew when this rebuild started.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Y'all also had an ownership change in that Patricia window, or a formal one with Sheila Ford taking over, and while the Fords have been loving dreadful owners on the whole Sheila at least seems to give a poo poo? Enough of a poo poo to throw out the old regime after only two years of Patriot Way rear end in a top hat Flavor, anyway. So there's a LOT of new parts on the Lions at basically every level.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So how many years will it take for the raiders to realize Josh's time with the broncos wasn't a fluke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

So how many years will it take for the raiders to realize Josh's time with the broncos wasn't a fluke

How big and how long a deal did they give him? Didn't they have to pay out Grudens 10 yr 100 mill deal?

Theyre already a relatively cash poor franchise. Wouldn't surprise me if they had to be on the hook for at least another.