Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Unfortunately here, you'll have to skim for the update they got logged/updated instead of just whacking tab

That would make it too easy. :D

If I do get to the point where I'm legitimately stumped and need to check the Court Record, I'll post it, though. Seems only fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Not for the first time, I wish there was a way to load just a single post. The forum is struggling hard trying to load all these images.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Truthkeeper posted:

Not for the first time, I wish there was a way to load just a single post. The forum is struggling hard trying to load all these images.

Here's a single-post version of the last one.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

That's very helpful! How did you perform this dark magic?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Question, imagine if in a real court case, the prosecutor came up with shoddy, incomplete evidence such as the photo of the guy walking in the suit here, and the defense does not object to this because they're idiots, what would happen?

Like, is a judge allowed to step in and say "this evidence isn't enough to prove guilt" or do they have to stay neutral at all times?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Question, imagine if in a real court case, the prosecutor came up with shoddy, incomplete evidence such as the photo of the guy walking in the suit here, and the defense does not object to this because they're idiots, what would happen?

Like, is a judge allowed to step in and say "this evidence isn't enough to prove guilt" or do they have to stay neutral at all times?

In an adversarial system (common law at large IIRC, USA for sure) the judge has to shut up on this, and the jury's single shared braincell won't catch it during jury deliberations.
In Japan (and Japanifornia), and other systems without a jury such as civil law countries, the judge adjudicates guilt and such he'd in theory be authorized to ask about flimsy evidence and simply cut poo poo short with a not guilty.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Here is the testimony again:

Oldbag posted:

1. The time of poor Hammer's death was 2:30 PM, true?
2. The only person I saw go to the studio before then was Will Powers!
3. No one else went there!
4. If they had, I would have seen them!

Here's our evidence so far (sans description):

Court Record posted:

- Attorney's Badge
- Guidemap
- Autopsy Report
- Cardkey
- Powers's(?) Photo
- Samurai Spear

It's far easier to spot the contradiction with the full Court Record, but that'll be an exercise for the readers.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Truthkeeper posted:

That's very helpful! How did you perform this dark magic?

They changed the perpage=40 in the URI to perpage=1 to have only one post per page.

e: The easier way is to put the LPer on ignore, though. Very counterintuitive but convenient.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Staltran posted:

They changed the perpage=40 in the URI to perpage=1 to have only one post per page.

e: The easier way is to put the LPer on ignore, though. Very counterintuitive but convenient.

That... is a strangely effective idea.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Less rudely, you could do the perpage=1 magic and also filter the thread to only show the OP's posts (the latter can be done by clicking 'show posts by this user', which is the little question mark icon below the avatar in every post):

Here is a thread of only DKII's posts, listed at one post per page.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Less rudely, you could do the perpage=1 magic and also filter the thread to only show the OP's posts (the latter can be done by clicking 'show posts by this user', which is the little question mark icon below the avatar in every post):

Here is a thread of only DKII's posts, listed at one post per page.

That's a cool link - I added it to the second post.

I did notice we'd stalled out a bit with five updates on the last page, but I wasn't about to go begging for more conversation to move it along. Workarounds like that are pretty neat.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is it just me, or is calling something a run-through in a case about a murder victim being stabbed to death somewhat concerning?

Anyway, it's very clear that to proceed, Phoenix needs to implicate himself somehow in order to get Powers declared not guilty. After all, he does have a keycard, and he could have used his rapier wit to skewer the victim!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Huh. Having access to the record would be useful. I only figured out what the correct evidence was after voting - "why are people going with.... oh yeah. That thing the characters said. Several weeks ago."

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Dirk the Average posted:

Is it just me, or is calling something a run-through in a case about a murder victim being stabbed to death somewhat concerning?

I'm going to say that's probably just you, or one of the many unfortunate coincidences in the English language. On one hand, it makes for a nice variety of puns. On the other hand, a perfectly cogent term for a rehearsal (an event where the performers "run through" the scene they're going to perform) sounds like a different action altogether. You either accept things like this, or 日本語を習ったら日本のバージョンを読めばいい。

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I learned the perpage=1 trick from the Umineko LP, incidentally, which as you can imagine featured A Lot of images on pages.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cyouni posted:

I learned the perpage=1 trick from the Umineko LP, incidentally, which as you can imagine featured A Lot of images on pages.

Without perpage=1, it cannot be seen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Something Awful Last Read browser plugin also adds a "link directly to this post" button underneath the post itself, with the "show only posts by this user" and the "mark this post last read" buttons.

Also, glad I'm finally caught up on this, I love these games and have played through the first one three times over the years, twice on DS and once in the 3DS port of Trilogy. Seeing a blind playthrough is real interesting.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 24, 2022

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 47: Episode 3, Day 2, Trial: Nail Number Two

Before we start - for some reason, this episode has slightly different text for guessing wrong five times and running your health bar dry, with a couple of extra lines.

Music: Silence

That's enough!

This court sees no reason to further prolong the trial.

This case is extremely clear. I see no room for mis-interpretation of the facts.

This court finds the defendant, Mr. Will Powers...

Sound: Guilty x 6

Note: That sound effect actually plays six times in rapid succession, once for each letter in the animation.

The rest is the same, though we get a shot of our client hearing the verdict pronouncment on the way out. Anyway, let's see what everyone thought we should do in this spot.

Looks like we have a slim majority here. A bit of confusion, but a simple look at the Court Record clears it right up.

Music: Questioning - Moderato

The contradiction between this line and this piece of evidence is pretty clear when presented like this. You can actually present on any line but the first for this cross. Anyway, as I said a couple of updates ago - all we have is a hammer, so we better hope everything we see is a nail!

Sound: Desk Slam

Hold on!

Yesiree, sonny.
Sound: Light Bulb

Right... Anyway!

Hard pass.

So is the argument that there must have been another person going to the studio that was Photo #1? Wouldn't that just be Hammer himself? Or was the camera not on then, because he went to the studio before Oldbag got to her station? Or maybe the "#2" refers to the second photo at that time?

Actually, I knew that too.

Sound: Realization

"Photo #2"...?

Don't you think that's odd?

Music: Objection!

Sound: Drama Pound

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel

Order! Order!

Sound: Whack

Seems a little early for triumph pose, but go for it!

Yet there is only data for one of the photos!

Who could have erased the data for the other photo?

Sound: Objection

Sound: Stab

You watch your mouth, whippersnapper!

The only person I saw that day was Will Powers!

But the camera on the gate fired twice! That means two people went by!

Umm... well, yes... that's what it would seem to mean...

Can the witness explain this to the court?

Haha, appeal denied! Talk your way out of this one, Oldbag!

Sound: Shock 2

Suddenly the background turns black?

Ah! That's right!

Of course you did...

Let me guess...

Even the judge is done with this lady

Er... well, yes, I suppose you could put it that way.

The crowd doesn't know what to make of what they've seen so far, either.

Your testimony, please.

Sound: Testimony 2

I go through the photos recorded on the security computer and check them.

Come to think of it, now I remember throwing out one photo that day!

Not even going to tell us who was in it? I guess that'll get left for us to dig into.

Edgeworth is done with this lady, too.

Well, of course, sonny! I've only just remembered it.

I'm pretty sure pressing will move us along here, so I'm going to skip through the testimony and see what Maya has to say to us this time.

Classic old windbag maneuver, Maya.

Hmm...

(Let's find out more about this "erased" photo.)

Right, fourth cross underway, onto pressing on everything!

Every day, after I finish my guard duties, I have one other important job to do.

Another "job"?

I look closely at every one of the photos that security camera takes.

Well, they keep telling me to, yes.

I go through the photos recorded on the security computer and check them.

How many photos are there, usually?

We never get more than 50, and that's a big day.

Well, they keep telling me to, yes.

Side note: Pressing on the first line actually takes us to the third line; probably because the last few lines of each of these first two presses are the same. Kind of a weird feature.

I throw out any photos that aren't suspicious lookin', you see.

How exactly do you determine what isn't "suspicious lookin'"?

F-for the most part?

It's almost more suspicious that she didn't touch that photo, honestly. What's suspicious about an actor going to the studio for rehearsal?

(I think she's missing the point.)

Come to think of it, now I remember throwing out one photo that day!

Humph. A fanboy.

F-fanboy?

Steel Samurai fanboys. Real freaks, if you ask me.

They're always hanging about. One was there that day.

We get an auto-objection from Phoenix now.

W-wait a second! Didn't you just say no one else could get in!?

Well!

Music: Logic and Trick

I'm grateful to whomever suggested I turn on the dialogue box transparency. Definitely some details that wouldn't be as obvious without it.

It leads outside, and well, that's where they come in.

I told you they were freaks.

Oh, and...

And...?

So, on the photo that you erased...?

I can't tell if Oldbag is genuinely bad at remembering what happened just three days ago, or secretly a super-genius inventing lies that somehow effectively plug up the holes in her testimony and yet can't be disproven. Either way, a young boy seems rather unlikely to be the murderer.

Music: Telling the Truth

Sound: Gavel x 3

O-order! Order!

Let me get this straight.

One was the Steel Samurai, dragging his leg.

Oh yes, well we see his type there every day.

Can't stop 'em. Can't catch 'em.

A boy in 2nd or 3rd grade? Hmm...

Impossible, I'd think. It's quite heavy.

That's why I erased the data.

I mean, the boy was there, that makes him a suspect!

Yeah, and they're already trying to "un-suspect" him.

This court will take a five-minute recess.

And no forgetting vital information this time!

A recess, huh? I wonder what we'll be talking about.

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

I suppose now would be a good time to consult with our client. Did you really hurt your ankle?

Y-yes?

Tell me straight: were you really in your dressing room? You didn't go to the studio?

How should I know?

Anyone could have walked in and taken it, really.

This guy is so unhelpful.

You should take better care of that stuff!

Even with a bunch of "fanboys" constantly infiltrating the premises? I'm sure they'd love a souvenir.

So... where does this leave me?

It doesn't look good...

*sniff*

Nick!

First, we play for more time.

Right!

Or you could've not wasted yesterday sitting around, not doing anything...

Sounds like we have a decision coming up.

You... don't sound very optimistic.

I'm not optimistic at all, actually.

Hey, Nick. It's time.

Okay. Let's go. *sigh*

And we're back.

Music: Trial

Court will now reconvene for the trial of Mr. Will Powers.

The prosecution's thoughts are simple.

Nothing has changed.

Giving Edgeworth time to think is never good for us.

The photo we do have may not be hard evidence...

Maybe the other person in the missing photo was just a red herring? The murder weapon was being carried by the figure in the Steel Samurai costume, after all. Assuming it really is the murder weapon. I apparently trust nothing anymore.

Anyway, it's apparently desperation time already.

Hmm...

Very well. Mr. Wright, your thoughts?

There IS another person who could have committed this crime!

Our completely unsupported assertion gets the crowd buzzing again. Is Oldbag really still on the stand?

Order!

Interesting...

Be aware that this court does not look kindly on accusing the innocent.

Well. It looks like for the first time outside of presenting evidence, we may be facing a choice with actual consequences here.

Music: Suspense

Our health bar is displayed in the upper-right, with two sections highlighted. So maybe just a normal penalty here? With just three options, we can probably afford to get it wrong here. But I don't know how long this trial is going to last, or how often (or if) our health bar gets reset, so we can't be too cavalier about it.

The first option refers to Penny Nichols, the almost-invisible assistant. She was apparently around during the run-through, but off doing her own thing the whole time. And we don't know anything about what she was doing afterward. Could she have stolen the costume and committed the murder?

The second option is our new information. A grade-school kid seems like an unlikely candidate for a murder in general, let alone given the physical details we have been told about the crime. But maybe he's involved in some other way?

Finally we have the security lady, Wendy Oldbag herself. Her attitude and spotty memory are irritating, and she certainly has the access and ability to hide her tracks. Is stealing the costume to commit the murder and frame Powers something she's capable of?

It's a good time for another break, so I'll let you all weigh in - who should we accuse?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Oldbag! She’s the most likely suspect.

No, wait! The fan! How do we know it’s really a kid and not a vertically challenged adult? Obsessed fans kill movie stars all the time in stories like this. I’m voting for the fan.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I'm going with Oldbag, just because I think Edgeworth hates her as much as we do and will go along with it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Truthkeeper posted:

I'm going with Oldbag, just because I think Edgeworth hates her as much as we do and will go along with it.
Everyone hates an Oldbag.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like Oldbag. She's testifying to the best of her ability and she doesn't appear to have been coached by the prosecution which is frankly a huge step up as witnesses go.

...And if she is in cahoots with Edgeworth and all of this is a meticulate double act, gently caress it, they've earned the win.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Runaway winner so I closed the poll early. Guess we'll be pointing the finger at the old windbag!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like Oldbag. She's testifying to the best of her ability and she doesn't appear to have been coached by the prosecution which is frankly a huge step up as witnesses go.

...And if she is in cahoots with Edgeworth and all of this is a meticulate double act, gently caress it, they've earned the win.

My guess is that Edgeworth tried, immediately gave up, and decided 'gently caress it, she's sticking to a story which benefits my side anyway, and she's stubborn enough that Phoenix probably won't be able to badger her out of it'.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That's genuinely the stuff of (Edgeworth's) nightmares.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DKII posted:

Runaway winner so I closed the poll early. Guess we'll be pointing the finger at the old windbag!

To be fair, this is only because Phoenix wasn't an option. It worked in the previous case!

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 48: Episode 3, Day 2, Trial: J'Accuse!

All right, let's take it to the old windbag.

Accusing Ms. Oldbag has the bonus of getting a live reaction from the stand and maybe discrediting her already worthless testimony even further.

Sound: Stab 2

That means whoever was in the suit knew about that morning's injury.

Ooh, great point! Use Oldbag's lines against her! She specifically said that no one else knew about the injury! This point is the main reason why accusing the assistant doesn't work.

quote:

What if we accused the young boy? This one seems unlikely for multiple reasons, but maybe there's something here I'm just not seeing yet.

It was the grade-school boy!

Why isn't anyone saying anything?

Bah!

Are you seriously suggesting the boy did it, Mr. Wright!?

"Grade-school boy kills veteran action star with spear!"

For one thing, the murder weapon was with the Steel Samurai.

Would you care to explain just how the boy would've obtained it from him?

Edgeworth has been a bit off with this case so far, but he's still quick to point out when we're being stupid.

(Hmm... maybe that was a dumb move on my part.)

Music: Suspense

"Maybe"? "Maybe"!? How about "absolutely,", Nick!
Sound: Damage 2

I think Mia would be demanding we turn in our badge again if she were still around for this one. Oof.

Mr. Wright.

I'm afraid I have to penalize you, as I warned.

Well, that's two health sections gone. Four tries left!

(Nobody knows... the trouble I've seen...)

Nobody knows, my sorrow. :gaz:

May we move on, Mr. Wright?

(Grr... this fight isn't over yet!)

If you would, Your Honor, one more chance, please.

Very well. Go ahead.

As expected, while we take a penalty, we're still free to try again. At least, until we run our health bar dry.

quote:

We've seen very little out of the assistant, Penny Nichols. That makes her pretty suspicious, to me!

It was the assistant!

The Steel Samurai costume was in his dressing room.

She stole it, and in doing so she became the Steel Samurai!

So you're saying the Steel Samurai in the picture is really the assistant?

That's correct, Your Honor!

If you're serious, you've got guts, Mr. Wright.

Remember the photo?

Wasn't the Steel Samurai a little lame!? He was dragging his foot!

Oh. (Uh oh. Bad feeling time.)

Remember the testimony concerning Powers's injury!!!

We get a flashback...

Powers and poor Hammer were at the run-through.

Oh, and me.

What about the assistant?

Oh, her? She was cleaning up backdrops, I think.

She didn't know about Powers's ankle.

That doesn't mean she didn't notice anyway, or see the guy limping around later. But I guess we would have to prove it.

The assistant knew nothing of Mr. Power's injury!

She could look the Steel Samurai look with that costume...

But she couldn't walk the Steel Samurai walk! She wouldn't have limped!

Ungh!

That kind of takes the legs out from under that case...

Mr. Wright.

I'm afraid I have to penalize you, as I warned.

Two more health sections gone...

(Nobody knows... the trouble I've seen...)

May we move on, Mr. Wright?

(Grr... this fight isn't over yet!)

If you would, Your Honor, one more chance, please.

Very well. Go ahead.

Well, we still get to try again, as long we didn't run out of health there.

W-what!? Whippersnapper!

Sound: Gavel x 3

Order! Order!

Looks like we've successfully caused some chaos.

Ms. Oldbag was standing guard alone at the main gate.

She was by herself... in other words, she has no alibi!

Then slipped into Studio One, the scene of the murder!

Simple, Your Honor.

I see!

Excellent deductive reasoning, Mr. Wright.

I really like this sequence. The first two episodes had the star witness lying to frame our client, eventually leading to us accusing them of the murder. This episode starts off much the same way, but it doesn't really feel quite the same, does it?

...?

(That's odd.)

(Isn't this the part where Edgeworth pounces...?)

Edgeworth has been suspiciously quiet lately.

Edgeworth folding so easily just makes me more nervous.

Sound: Stab 2

Oh, so you all think I did it? Is that it!?

Edgey-boy! Don't just sit there, do something!

We're faced with another choice. Edgeworth seems content to sit back so maybe we should do the same? Plus, I'm not really convinced that Oldbag is the killer, anyway.

(Funny, I feel bad for her all of a sudden.)

Hmm...

Yet we must not forget that the victim was an action hero.

Oops, looks like being passive wasn't the right move for the judge, even with Edgeworth sitting back.

(Sorry, windbag... but I don't have a choice.)

quote:

No extra dialogue for choosing to press further above, we just skip straight to the next scene instead.

The very same reasoning that makes Mr. Powers a suspect in this case...

B-but why would I do something so horrible to poor Hammer!?

Hmm...

Indeed.

(No hard feelings... I hope.)

Wait just a minute!

The boy! The one whose photo I erased!

Th-that doesn't matter!

Hmm...

Your thoughts, Mr. Wright?

That boy is not the killer.

What!? How can you be so sure?

I have proof.

P-proof!?

Indeed? Then let's see this proof, Mr. Wright.

I'm not really sure where this one is going - it doesn't really matter to us whether Oldbag did it or someone else, as long as it isn't our client. But I guess nailing Oldbag more securely is better for us with the way this goofy system works, so let's just roll with it.

Anyway, which piece of evidence proves that the boy couldn't have done it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Sherlock Holmes line is much funnier nowadays than it was when this was released. A bit of an own goal there, Phoenix.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Surely the spear? Didn't they say it would be too unwieldly for a kid?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was just about to comment on the lack of motive, when the game brings it up and... just does nothing with it?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

I was just about to comment on the lack of motive, when the game brings it up and... just does nothing with it?

Motive in these games only starts to matter when the prosecutor decides it matters i.e. when they run out of ways to hammer on "but the defendant could have possibly still done it this absurd way, HMMMMMM!?" arguments.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

When Nick has to address motive it is 50/50 between:
_"I don't care if the defendant was clearly shown to be in Japan the day of the murder, they were grade school enemies with the victim and so they're clearly guilty anyways"
and
_"just because the witness has accidentally confessed to be on the scene of the murder the instant of the crime wielding the murder weapon, they have no motive so everything was clearly a clever ploy by the defendant"

EDIT: reworded a bit

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nobody ever bothered establishing a motive for Maya or Nick in the previous trial, either. You don't actually need to establish one if you've got credible evidence and testimony; this trial is solely to determine whether Will P was the one who dunnit.

All these trials are expedited preliminary trials. If you are found guilty at one of these, you will be held in custody pending a sentencing trial, where things like motive and mens rea factor in beyond whether you've done it or not. That's the in-universe explanation for why these trials happen in short video-game-presentable segments instead of months of prep work and weeks of hearings, which is explained exactly once back in case 2 and may never be mentioned again.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

which is explained exactly once back in case 2 and may never be mentioned again.

Pretty sure it's never brought up again. It's just video games from 1-2 on.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 49: Episode 3, Day 2, Trial: Winded Bag

It's a bit indirect, but we actually heard this argument in each of the last two updates.

Your Honor!

How could the boy have taken the spear? It's impossible!

You can actually present the photo as well, and get the same scene.

quote:

In fact, there's one more piece of evidence we can use - the cardkey also works! This one is a direct contradiction, and in my opinion the recommended option for this scene - we needed the cardkey to enter Studio One, so how would a random fanboy have gotten in there?

The scene of the murder, as we all know, was Studio One.

However, you need a cardkey to enter Studio One!

How could a boy with no formal relation to the studios have a cardkey!?

quote:

There are also a few wrong answers here, of course. Our attorney's badge, and any other evidence we have, each produce a generic retry loop:

This is my proof!

I can't see how that has anything to do with this matter...

Mr. Wright.

There aren't that many pieces of evidence in the Court Record.

Please try not to pick the wrong ones!

S-sorry, Your Honor.
Sound: Whoops

I'll ask again, Mr. Wright.

I feel like the judge is directly scolding the player on that one. You had a 50% chance! How could you screw this one up!

I see!

Mrph.

Very well!

No, keep hammering on that name pun, it's still great.

This part of this episode is so cathartic compared to the last episode.

That is all. This court is adjourned!

I guess we'll have another day of investigation now? We haven't really learned anything new, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Music: The Steel Samurai

Psych! Did you really think we were done already?

I'm talking!

Have you ever really stopped talking?

Sound: Pong x 4

Oh, great, stop the presses! The windbag wants to talk!

Sound: Pong

Have you omitted something from your testimony?

Now who could have told her not to talk about something? It doesn't seem like Edgeworth - he's been in the dark the whole time here. Are we finally going to get another player in this mess?

Sound: Pong x 2

W-well, testify!

Music: Questioning - Allegro

There were... some other people at the studios on the day of the murder.

They said they had "nothing to do with it," see?

So they told me to just pretend they "hadn't been at the studios that day."

Not the most complete testimony; looks like another one where we'll just have to press to get the specific information we need.

M-Ms. Oldbag!

Ain't you been listening?

Who knew the old windbag could actually keep a secret? At least until personally threatened, anyway.

Mr. Wright... Your cross-examination.

Music: Questioning - Allegro

Global Studios wanted me to keep quiet about something.

So, you were told not to talk?

Why didn't I hear about this!?

Poor Edgeworth is having a rough day.

There were... some other people at the studios on the day of the murder.

W-who were these people!?

The... director?

We should have known something was fishy!

Of course!

I'm disappointed in our client, too. He never mentioned anyone else being there. Neither did the assistant, Penny Nichols.

So, where were these people?

He joined the producer around lunchtime and they had a meeting after that.

Where!

Not how I expected Studio Two to first show up, but it was too big a hole to stay uncovered for long.

Dammit, Phoenix, keep up!

Well, if you look at the guidemap...

You go through the gate all the way to the left.

Yeah, from wind damage or some such nonsense.

We have all the information we need, now, but we're given the option to continue anyway. Might as well keep going!

They said they had "nothing to do with it," see?

Ms. Oldbag! This is a trial for murder!

I know that, silly!

And... they gave me a little bonus on the side.

Was it the people or the money that was more convincing?

We're given another prompt to move on, but there are still a couple questions to poke at here!

(I guess there's no harm in getting as much info as I can!)

So they told me to just pretend they "hadn't been at the studios that day."

So they were actually in the studio!?

Yes, the whole day.

Wow, Edgeworth has really had it with Oldbag.

But if you're going to go accusing me, I'm not letting them get away scot free!

"Them"...?

The rest of this press plays out the same as the second one above, complete with another prompt to abandon our cross. We're at the end of the testimony, but we'll continue one more time, because once we run out of testimony, we go confer with Maya again.

For an old windbag, she sure likes keeping secrets...

Let's get as much information as we can!

Anyway, from here we need to go back and re-press on one of the earlier statements and go through all the dialogue until we get the option to stop again (any of the three will do). From there, we can finally move on:

Your Honor.

The director and the producer and, er, some bigwigs, were all present.

Yet, as we stand here, they have not been questioned!

Hmm...

The court acknowledges the defense's point.

The prosecution will gather more information about the witness, Ms. Oldbag...

That is all. This court is adjourned!

Well, we survived to face another day.

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

I was right to ask you to defend me.

Aww, really, it's nothing. *grin*

Sniff?

We have to find out more about this director and producer.

They'll be turning up in the next trial as witnesses for certain.

Next trial? I'll assume he really meant, next day of trial?

So, Nick...

Any early bets? Director, producer, or bigwig?

Could it really have been old windbag?

What do you think, Mr. Powers?

Neither do I, Nick.

Y-yeah, I know! Look, I was just buying time back there.

Poor old windbag... I feel kinda sorry for her.

Okay, let's get down to the studios.

Right! We'll be back to visit you soon...

This first phase of the episode is kind of weird. It seems almost like filler, just drawing it out until we get to talk to the rest of the suspects. But the Oldbag-Edgeworth interactions were worth it anyway.

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

Next time we'll start our second day of investigation!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Edgeworth is at his funniest when something breaks his composure and he is as flummoxed by the witness as Phoenix.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Witness the power of the Oldbag :allears:

I think one of my favourite parts of AA is how Nick is such a gigantic snarky motherfucker in his internal narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

SirSamVimes posted:

Edgeworth is at his funniest when something breaks his composure and he is as flummoxed by the witness as Phoenix.

The comic reaction from Edgeworth is almost enough to redeem him from last episode. Almost.