Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Alarmgate, Apple’s gone downhill, Steve would never, etc.

You're holding your alarm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does this alarm thing happen to all phones or is it just an iPhone 14 thing? I feel like both those happened around the same time but I can’t be certain.

This rock solid stability can only be found with an iPhone XR, baby

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Mine's a 12 mini so this is definitely not a 14 thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The alarm thing happened in my 13 Pro but hasn’t been an issue for a while.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haven't had that issue on my 12 Pro Max

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

don't janitor your sleep

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve got an SE 2 and my alarm wasn’t going off a couple of days recently

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fedule posted:

Is iOS loving with alarms again? I have an alarm set to repeat on weekdays, and thank gently caress for the lock screen widget that shows you your next alarm, because without it I'd not have known that iOS was just failing to set the alarm. It was turned on in Alarms and set correctly to repeat, but simply did not register with the system. If I turn the alarm off and on again a few times, it will eventually stick. Over the past week this has become part of my bedtime routine because it happens so consistently.

I've had some weird stuff happen and I suspect it might be tied to the sleep focus, which has its own alarm for when Tim Apple thinks you've slept enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, but probably best to bite the bullet next year so it’s sellable as they release other models.

I didn’t really read through the legislation whether they have to stop selling previously released lightning charger phones or not. Like, will they be able to sell the 14 once the dates take effect.

IMO, unless it’s super cheaper to make the 13 and 14 with a USB (which would be kind of lol if it is), this is a Europe only issue, so they would probably just only sell the 15 in Europe. Which, that is millions of sales lost , so I guess it depends on how much it costs to alter the older phones to USB C (I assume it’s a lot but I’m not exactly an expert).

I skimmed it and no, it only applies to devices initially released after the law goes into effect. Apple won't need to re-engineer USB-C into existing models.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can anyone recommend some thin rubber feet that can fit on the back of my iPhone and keep it in place when it's lying flat on a table?

(Note: I'm not looking for a phone case - I like how slim the phone is. But its camera bump means it doesn't rest flat on a table, and, well...)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

Can anyone recommend some thin rubber feet that can fit on the back of my iPhone and keep it in place when it's lying flat on a table?

(Note: I'm not looking for a phone case - I like how slim the phone is. But its camera bump means it doesn't rest flat on a table, and, well...)

:lol: You’re setting it down wrong.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

withak posted:

:lol: You’re setting it down wrong.

How does one set it down correctly? Asking for a friend.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You rest the top edge on an elevated surface.

vvv That's a good answer right there.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 29, 2022

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Real answer is screen down

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

don't janitor your prone position

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you want to use your phone try holding it in your hand. Hth OP.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
When the 3DS came out some goon glued a three game case holder to his actual system, immediately regretted it and ripped it off, leaving three huge ugly circles on his console. Man, that was hilarious.

Anyway, OP, try cabinet bumpers lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

When the 3DS came out some goon glued a three game case holder to his actual system, immediately regretted it and ripped it off, leaving three huge ugly circles on his console. Man, that was hilarious.

Anyway, OP, try cabinet bumpers lmao

This is the 2022 version

Magic Shortbus posted:

Velcroed an old micro keyboard/mouse to the back of the Steam Deck. Comes in handy for typing passwords and other things. Doesnt get in the way and adds only a tiny weight. Feels like a good cheap mod!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Lmao

Good grief

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 14pro. Mostly so I don’t have to deal with USB-C for a couple years.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 14pro. Mostly so I don’t have to deal with USB-C for a couple years.

You must be the only person on the planet who doesn’t consider usbc more friendly and convenient.

Also has anyone found their battery life improve massively after the latest update? This 13 mini didn’t last a day before but now it just goes and goes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

You must be the only person on the planet who doesn’t consider usbc more friendly and convenient.

Also has anyone found their battery life improve massively after the latest update? This 13 mini didn’t last a day before but now it just goes and goes.

So far, people have given 2 benefits to USB-C:

1. Being able to use the same charger/cable across multiple devices. As somebody who only owns Apple products, this is irrelevant to me. I don’t have a newer iPad.

In fact; usb-c on iPhones would be actively detrimental to me in this regard - right now I have a wireless charging pad on my bedside table and a lightning cable plugged into the front of my Mac Studio. That one cable can charge whichever is needed of my Magic Trackpad; Magic Keyboard, AirPods Max, and iPhone (I plug the iPhone into the cable when using it as a wifi hotspot; wireless charging on the pad puts it further away and also I find heat becomes an issue when you use wireless charging and hotspot tethering at the same time). It’s possible apple might take the opportunity to eliminate the lightning cable altogether but those are all expensive devices, especially the headphones and I can’t be replacing them just for the sake of the new cable.

2. Increased data transfer speeds. I’ve never used this functionality in all my years owning an iPhone (6S plus launch). Between iCloud and airdrop it’s just not needed, wireless is the future.

In addition to the downside with my cable setup, there is also the fact that lightning is flat out a better connector than USB-C, in a physical sense. It takes up less space; and it correctly puts the delicate part of the connector on the cable; which can be easily replaced, and not inside the port, which can’t. It’s easier and safer to clean out a lightning port too vs a USB-C.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s easier and safer to clean out a lightning port too vs a USB-C.

As someone that works in a bakery, can confirm. Blasting it with pressurized air (and i don't mean those pussy air cans either) makes cleaning them and the speaker at the same time a breeze.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You can rummage around in there with a toothpick if you need to. You can’t do that with a USB-C port because of the tab inside.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

You can rummage around in there with a toothpick if you need to. You can’t do that with a USB-C port because of the tab inside.

I have cleaned out usb c ports with toothpicks and lived to tell the tale. It’s fine

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My MacBook outputs and charges using my monitor’s USB-C cable. I use the same cable to charge pretty much everything it can and it’d be super sick if it worked with my iPhone too. Currently I charge using this crappy Logitech wireless charger that doesn’t work unless it sits perfectly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

Make it two, every apple device I have but the watch is lightning and I plan to grab the last iPhone pro without usb-c to be commercialized to avoid going around with multiple cables everywhere I go.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m completely indifferent. As long as they can fit a C port into the current design without loving it up and making it thicker then whatever.

I’d like to see the setups of the people who complain about “having to use two different cables” though. Probably complete disaster areas. An extra cable isn’t gonna kill you.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Apple should go straight to usb-d.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they should put usb-c up top and keep lighting on the bottom to keep both sides happy

maybe a micro usb where the sim card slot used to be

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

American McGay posted:

I’d like to see the setups of the people who complain about “having to use two different cables” though. Probably complete disaster areas. An extra cable isn’t gonna kill you.

It's more of a defense mechanism given that i routinely have to repurchase my personal cable pool since assholes in the office will grab any cable left unattended, having to stock two types will add up over time(no, punching cable thieves is no longer doable).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could just have an assortment of adapters permanently tethered to the phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

Could just have an assortment of adapters permanently tethered to the phone.

Can't wait for the Apple + Victorinox collab.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

they should put usb-c up top and keep lighting on the bottom to keep both sides happy

maybe a micro usb where the sim card slot used to be

By god that’s Steve Balmer’s music!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

When I plug in my iPhone into my PC to back it up, iTunes defaults to my SSD. Is there a way to change it so it saves to my much larger D:\ drive or does Apple prevent you from choosing?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WerthersWay posted:

When I plug in my iPhone into my PC to back it up, iTunes defaults to my SSD. Is there a way to change it so it saves to my much larger D:\ drive or does Apple prevent you from choosing?

I think it has to be on whichever drive has your Windows installation and you can't choose. You can, however, move the backup folder it creates elsewhere and then move it back if you need to restore from it.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I had the same problem and made some symbolic link shenanigans to make the backups go where I eanted to.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Cool I just found out that in addition to long pressing and swiping you can also drag and drop songs into the Apple Music queue.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
While using Spotify on my PC, using my iPhone, it predictably acts as remote to the Spotify session. But apparently including volume control, which sets the phone volume bar to the same level as the ongoing session on the PC, which is max. volume and leaves it at that. Using the phone for media playback the next time around will blast you full volume.

I always wondered if the random full volume that I was getting was a bug in iOS. Nope, turns out to be some stupid integration bullshit from a third party app, i.e. me using my phone at the desktop while listening to music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Huh, just learned you can long-press the tab button in Safari to get a list of options, one of which lets you close the tab, which is slightly faster than going fully into tab view and swiping it away.