Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't forget Life on Mars and The Prisoner.

God, the US versions of those were loving GARBAGE.

EDIT: Really the only successful US adaptation of a British show was The Office and even then it was less of an adaptation and more of a completely different show that happened to share the same name.

I really liked the US Prisoner, for what it is worth. It is not remotely in the same league as the UK show, but they did their own thing and told their own story, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I particular loved the twist they did on the non-linear storytelling thing that is ubiquitous in tv shows nowadays: Throughout the show, scenes in The Village are intercut with what appears to be flashbacks to the protagonist's earlier life. It is eventually revealed that these events are actually occurring simultaneously. Because The Village is in the collective subconsciousness, you see, and people in the real world are being subconsciously affected by their village experiences. A lot of people found this to be a lame twist, but I loved it. Non-linear storytelling turning out to be secretly linear is something I haven't seen done before or after.

I will probably catch some flack for defending the show, so I just want to point out that the original SA thread was very positive as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the attempt at would i lie to you is rather decent imo at least!

Wait, where is this?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dr.Who fans certainly have a right to be leery of a US attempt, after the adaptations of Red Dwarf, Coupling, The IT Crowd, Fawlty Towers (3x), Young Ones, and Taskmaster.

As a Doctor Who fan I am happy about the news.

The show has a huge international reach in terms of pop culture, yet the show is still being made with next to no budget, and there is a 1.5 year wait between each season.

If the show can keep the tone, yet be managed by a company who knows how properly manage the IP, it will be a benefit to everyone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maybe now they'll be able to afford something better than a smartphone to film on. Holy crap has the image quality of the past few seasons been bad.

Being on Disney+ almost guarantees it will be 4k with Dolby Vision.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Really the only successful US adaptation of a British show was The Office and even then it was less of an adaptation and more of a completely different show that happened to share the same name.

Yeah, the first season is the only one that's a straight up adaptation, and it wasn't great.

There are some other successful translations, but they're usually fairly different. e.g. Welcome to Flatch, All In The Family, etc. Ghosts is increasingly doing its own thing too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

As a Doctor Who fan I am happy about the news.

The show has a huge international reach in terms of pop culture, yet the show is still being made with next to no budget, and there is a 1.5 year wait between each season.

If the show can keep the tone, yet be managed by a company who knows how properly manage the IP, it will be a benefit to everyone.

Uh, just again: Disney isn't managing the show. They're distributing it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the first season is the only one that's a straight up adaptation, and it wasn't great.

There are some other successful translations, but they're usually fairly different. e.g. Welcome to Flatch, All In The Family, etc. Ghosts is increasingly doing its own thing too.

I’d throw in Shameless though I fell off it eventually and haven’t seen the UK original.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Maybe now they'll be able to afford something better than a smartphone to film on. Holy crap has the image quality of the past few seasons been bad.

Being on Disney+ almost guarantees it will be 4k with Dolby Vision.

I don’t think this is a camera/resolution problem, it’s just that whoever is in control of the visual style of the show is some sort of blind moron

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think this is a camera/resolution problem, it’s just that whoever is in control of the visual style of the show is some sort of blind moron

There's visible aliasing, it's like it's finished at 720p.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, where is this?

US WILTY was on the CW. Too rushed, they made it an American half hour (so, 22 minutes or so) but apart from that not a bad one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

AceOfFlames posted:

EDIT: Really the only successful US adaptation of a British show was The Office and even then it was less of an adaptation and more of a completely different show that happened to share the same name.

I thought Ghosts was doing pretty successful as well, no?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shameless can be considered "successful" in that it ran a long time

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Shameless can be considered "successful" in that it ran a long time

Shameless shambled along way longer then it should of, I still believe it wouldn't of been as popular as it was without the nudity esp Emmy Rossums.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

I thought Ghosts was doing pretty successful as well, no?

Didn't know that was originally a British show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It took me way too long to drop Shameless, but I dropped it like a rock. The show just felt completely pointless.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Every season would just reboot the character arcs with something new, and the show constantly betrayed its working class concerns for the most utterly stupid reasons -- does anyone remember the random subplot/ad about the characters getting a hoverboard? And a bunch of other stupid or teachable moments.

It went from being a drama to a soap. By the fourth season it fell apart into an unconsequential morass of subplots and as far as I can tell never recovered.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1586435205723607040?s=20&t=coErJyn-fku5VOcGLhLL4w

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uh, just again: Disney isn't managing the show. They're distributing it.

The news announcements say that Disney will be co-producing the show.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The original Ghosts is so charming it’s really hard to work up any desire to attempt the CBS version

Edit: preview I watched = Joel McHale IT Crowd flashbacks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm more surprised that anyone thinks this is a good idea. At the current trajectory s4 will be a trashfire even before changing out the main actor.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
^^^^what the hell? Henry Cavill is the best part about the entire show

Good lord, the Severance season finale was some of the best TV I've seen in years. If anyone here is on the fence, go watch this drat show... I'm preaching to the choir most likely.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My guess is that he had to step away for the next Superman movie.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well that sucks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I haven't been watching the show but what the gently caress

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

External Organs posted:

^^^^what the hell? Henry Cavill is the best part about the entire show

I agree. And it can only hurt the show to replace him.

Does anyone remember if Witcher s2 was a huge hit for netflix like s1? They gotta be banking on it continuing to be extremely popular or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Liam needs to livestream playing through all 3 games like Henry did. It's required for the part.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahah what on earth??? Bizarre decision

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Either Henry Cavill is about to get cancelled or it's just another bargain bin contract dispute seeing as Netflix is kinda cash-dry at the moment, something that it wasn't when it initially signed Cavill.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Henry Cavill literally told his agent "don't talk to me until you get an audition for The Witcher" before the show was even confirmed and he is 100% all in on the character and role.

There's gonna be some loving fireworks over this.

Both actors made positive statements on the whole swap, so seems like it's a time/money/conflict issue of some kind and another A-list actor is ready to take over. Fans won't be happy for sure though.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 29, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

The news announcements say that Disney will be co-producing the show.

It's bullshit, there's been no word from anyone official.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

pentyne posted:

Henry Cavill literally told his agent "don't talk to me until you get an audition for The Witcher" before the show was even confirmed and he is 100% all in on the character and role.

There's gonna be some loving fireworks over this.

Both actors made positive statements on the whole swap, so seems like it's a time/money/conflict issue of some kind and another A-list actor is ready to take over. Fans won't be happy for sure though.

Liam Hemsworth is not A-list lol

Chris is, but not his doofy younger brother

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How long does it take to film a big movie like Superman? If it’s something like 6 months then surely it would be better to wait for Cavil.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The issue is that all those costs of delaying the season compound. You need everyone else involved to be available too, and if they're throwing out their original shooting schedule they have to eat that cost as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, Liam's the Hunger Games Hemsworth, right? I assumed it was Luke, the Westworld Hemsworth, initially, but neither of them have been doing much recently to my knowledge.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Also, If they were going for a discount Hemsworth then they should have picked Larry. He may only be 6’4 and dull as a rock, but he still deserves a chance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No more Cavill?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed The Witcher series but it's like 95% because of Cavill so.... yeah :rip:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This far out (seeing as s3 hasn't even aired yet) definitely sounds like a scheduling issue where Cavill will be too busy and Netflix doesn't want to wait for him to be available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Especially considering that it seems like DC is making plans right now with Gunn now in charge and Cavill set to appear in more stuff as Superman, it's gotta be scheduling