Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kchama posted:

Even on the topic of linguistics his primary contributions are being as wrong as loving possible, running more correct people out of the field, and then stealing their ideas and proclaiming them his own.

This is the dude who claimed that the Hutus were the real victims of the Rwanda genocide.

What, did they all tear their rotator cuffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Some non-evil Hutu died trying to protect the Tutsi, so Chomsky and his buddy reframed it as the Tutsi genocided the Hutu who died basically.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

So, I've followed this a bit and I've noticed a difference in the U.S. between the more mature "movement" left (in terms of organized activist groups, peace groups, etc.) and random people on Twitter. These are two different things and the movement left -- and Noam Chomsky is kind of a barometer for this -- has been calling for peace and a negotiated settlement and an end to escalation which includes a halt to U.S. weapons transfers. Now, the reality is that one side is going to win and the other side is going to lose unless there's some kinda bargain, so you could interpret that as effectively "pro-Russian," but I don't think that's how they see it, and they do tend to call the Russian invasion unjustified and a breach of the U.N. Charter. I think the DSA is kinda like this, or at least a current within it. Also, the fact is, there is no real "movement" here that has the force to press those demands anyways, and the only groups that actually go outside and hold signs to this end is most likely going to be a half-dozen elderly peace activists in Milwaukee. This is the terrifying tankie force that's mobilizing to end the war:

Also personally speaking, I've found myself basically becoming one of these people. This is my comfort zone. It's not like it'll matter, but whatever you think about it, I think just the presence of people who are like "war bad" is necessary. Because war is indeed bad. I just want people not to lose their conscience or at least fight for that inch of mental space so they don't lose their humanity and become jingos. I don't like jingoism in whatever form it takes.

Then there's Twitter where you see this sharper split between people who are basically unorganized. And then you have these bloodthirsty couch potatoes become outright pro-war just on the Russian side and are listening to absolute kooks and grifters who are simply in the tank and selling them a line which is not true. And that worries me a little bit because, in case they haven't noticed (they've noticed), the war is going badly for Russia. So what happens to people who are outright pro-war for a war that suddenly started going badly for their team? Some may become disillusioned with it, but I worry that others will retreat increasingly into paranoia and frustration that will work itself out in ugly ways. They've worked up the aggression but the payoff has been thwarted so it must be because of the CONSPIRACY.

This is a lot of words to say you have no clue what's at stake for Ukraine here and that genocide is apparently OK if it happens to a country that NATO countries like. George Orwell wrote a lot about people like you.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 27, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kchama posted:

Some non-evil Hutu died trying to protect the Tutsi, so Chomsky and his buddy reframed it as the Tutsi genocided the Hutu who died basically.

in all seriousness, Herman cites a single 'primary' source for his assertion that actually it was the other way around. The source being one guy, on trial for his part in the Rwandan genocide, who tried a defense of 'actually it was the Hutu's who did the real genocide' and Herman constructs an entire elaborate opposite world off of that. Herman was Chomsky's long-time friend, fellow traveler, and co-author of Manufacturing Consent and Chomsky wrote the glowing forward for Herman's book The Politics of Genocide, which is where the infamous reverse theory of the Rwandan genocide came from.

by the way this isn't ancient history, like, say, Chomsky's defense of the Khmer Rouge---Politics of Genocide was published in 2010.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 27, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Also personally speaking, I've found myself basically becoming one of these people. This is my comfort zone. It's not like it'll matter, but whatever you think about it, I think just the presence of people who are like "war bad" is necessary. Because war is indeed bad.
That line of reasoning doesn't follow though? "War bad, therefore we must prioritize peaceful resolution at all costs" can only encourage more war and oppression. What's to stop an aggressor from just continuing to seize new territory from more and more victims? Just that they might get bored of it?

War bad, but the onus is on the aggressor.

Attributed to Ève Curie : "We discovered that peace at any price is no peace at all... that life at any price has no value whatever; that life is nothing without the privileges, the prides, the rights, the joys that make it worth living and also worth giving...and that there is something more hideous, more atrocious than war or than death; and that is to live in fear."

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:drat:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Chomsky was great at pointing out how poo poo US foreign policy has been, from Vietnam on, but starting with Cambodia he started excusing/handwaving/whatever bad things done by people opposing the US. A lot of us who were fans* in the 1980s and 90s (me for example) would sort of excuse his and Herman's Cambodia genocide on the basis of "well other than that *one* thing he's great" but his continued descent into "only America bad" finally pushed me into "please stop". It's like when my life-long leftist labor-organizer uncle started getting bad Alzheimer's and once matter-of-fact busted out how the Jews ran the banks to me, in spite of having close Jewish friends his whole adult life. Just sad.

* I read almost everything he wrote, I exchanged emails, met him a couple times after talks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rust Martialis posted:

Chomsky was great at pointing out how poo poo US foreign policy has been, from Vietnam on, but starting with Cambodia he started excusing/handwaving/whatever bad things done by people opposing the US.

That also summarizes why I bounced off the Blowback podcast.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The far left and the far right have a lot in common in their beliefs and desires.
(The US "far left" is still to the right hand side of moderate in the global Overton window, but actual far leftists are just as loving nutty as ultranationalist far right assholes, both eventually loop around to wanting fascism/authoritarianism because it would all be better if they were the ones in power, always)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 27, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm glad that the people who post in this thread can keep two independent thoughts in their head.

I despise the US MIC, I'm deeply ashamed of our naked and self serving influence in the Middle East and Latin America, I loathe our governmental system that disenfranchises laborers and PoC in favor of wealthy white landowners, that we spend billions on the military while we allow our fellow citizens to suffer and die from preventable illness.

However, we allow Taiwan, Japan and now Ukraine (and other nations) to remain sovereign Democratic nations, who's people have a voice. We serve as a hedge against other territorial powers, who's governments are even more authoritarian and repressive than our own. And we can't discard that just because it doesn't come from a place of altruism.

Maybe it's because I have family who lived through the USSRs post-war rape of Poland's economy, maybe because I've spent most of my adult life aiding in the deterrence of the Russian military, but anyone that supports their ultra-right shithole government, who claims to be a loving "leftist" can go absolutely gently caress themselves.

The power belongs in the hands of the people, and that's what we're supporting in Ukraine, and that fact does. Not. loving. Change. Just because we've done the opposite a really sickening number of times.

Ukraine's choice is fight or die, you don't loving surrender to or trust Russia, ask the ghosts of the 20,000 Poles buried in Katyn, or the ones who died fighting the Nazis in Warsaw while the mighty Red Army watched.

E: the problem is not "left" or "right" beliefs (although the ones of those on the right are particularly disgusting) it's the concentration of power in the hands of the type of people who would seek to rule others, that goes for communist, fascist, and liberal capitalist countries alike.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 27, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Chomsky is a loving idiot - I don't get why people constantly bring him up. If it's not linguistics related IDGAF what his myopic opinion is. He's about as relevant on these topic as any other dipshit celebrity

No disagreement.

Ironically(?), Chomsky is huge in the math side of Computer Science.

https://exaud.com/noam-chomsky-computer-science/

quote:

Put very simply, Noam Chomsky categorized grammars in 4 different types and organized those in terms of complexity, from the most wide-ranging to the smallest group with the simplest grammars: Recursively Enumerable, Context-Sensitive, Context-Free and Regular grammars. We know this last one is the smallest because each type is contained in the one before it. All Regular grammars are Context-Free, Context-Free are Context-Sensitive and so on.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't understand the part of being "generally anti-war" that has people doing things like protesting "NATO aggression" while being far less passionate about Russia not engaging in genocidal, fascist invasions (and allowing nations to non-violently deter said invasions). I do not think the main ideology at play for folks like Chomsky is "war bad."

The short lazy answer is, look up campism.

Basically, there's a line of reasoning that says, American Imperialism is THE WORST, and the biggest obstacle to a progressive future for humanity. Therefore, it follows that any force that opposes American Imperialism needs unconditional support as a matter of moral principle, because they're on the side of progressivism whether they know it or not. Any criticism of such forces hampers their ability to oppose American Imperialism, and is therefore wrong.

That's the intellectual place where some of the most obnoxious leftist "independent journalists" come from. I don’t know how widespread adherents to this idea actually are, but not coincidentally, they get signal boosted a lot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Starting to sound like something happened in Sevastopol overnight.

(Cribbed from the D&D thread)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
This guy right here

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
ooooooo here's to hoping they got them a sub

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GD_American posted:

ooooooo here's to hoping they got them a sub

I know man; me too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I know man; me too.

As long as we dont have a breached reactor core sitting in a port

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Russia's response is the bullshit lies you would expect. Since Ukraine carried out "terrorist" attacks on invading military targets in their own country well golly gee Russia is just being forced to suspend cooperation in the grain corridor agreement.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flikken posted:

As long as we dont have a breached reactor core sitting in a port

I seem to recall they’re all diesel subs.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ok cool, sink them

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flikken posted:

Ok cool, sink them

Yep, on one hand a Ukrainian sinking of a RF SSN would be super lol, this would still be right up there, and less issues.

I do seem to recall in a post in the CW thread, that nukes getting sunk was never a huge concern due to sea depth and size, but I could be misremembering it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yep, on one hand a Ukrainian sinking of a RF SSN would be super lol, this would still be right up there, and less issues.

I do seem to recall in a post in the CW thread, that nukes getting sunk was never a huge concern due to sea depth and size, but I could be misremembering it.

Not much depth in port

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Even then the reactors sitting in water should make them a non issue, I doubt those little suicide drones could breach a core even if it sank the reactor

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

As pointed out, only diesel boats in the Black Sea, but.

Russian nuke submarines have massively thick hulls because they dive very deep. I doubt one of those little suicide boats could breach one, and if it could it almost certainly couldn't breach the reactor's containment vessel.

And if it could, the sea makes an excellent passive cooling system, you might want to tow the hulk out of port a bit though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

While on the one hand I'm stoked for Ukraine, on the other I'm unhappy that they've passed my kill count on Russian vessels

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Avoiding any specifics for obvious reasons, wouldn't it be pretty difficult to crack any given floating fission reactor? Put aside getting through the rest of the boat or ship, each one had to be a huge, extremely rugged pressure vessel, right?

I admit I'm mostly asking for reassurance that Russian subs aren't running off industrial pressure cookers full of spicy rocks after someone sold off the real pressure casks.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Avoiding any specifics for obvious reasons, wouldn't it be pretty difficult to crack any given floating fission reactor? Put aside getting through the rest of the boat or ship, each one had to be a huge, extremely rugged pressure vessel, right?

I admit I'm mostly asking for reassurance that Russian subs aren't running off industrial pressure cookers full of spicy rocks after someone sold off the real pressure casks.

The reactor vessel itself? Sure. The fractal spaghetti of plumbing coming out of it? A different story. Underwater shock is scary poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently even diesel subs have pretty robust hulls?

https://www.infodefensa.com/texto-diario/mostrar/3128646/the-ara-san-juan-crew-died-in-30-milliseconds-due-to-hydrogen-explosion

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Water is also an excellent radiation shield. Even if you had an open reactor core if it's sitting under like ten meters of water it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe don't go diving right on top of it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Water is also an excellent radiation shield. Even if you had an open reactor core if it's sitting under like ten meters of water it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe don't go diving right on top of it.

You're not my supervisor!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
doesn't actually add anything, nm

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 29, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xakura posted:

This guy right here

Huh. I didn't know you could improve on the torpedo.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How big would a torpedo have to be that can drive from Odessa to Sewastopol? Sort of like a long range cruise missile, program in some waypoints and send it on its way.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

How big would a torpedo have to be that can drive from Odessa to Sewastopol? Sort of like a long range cruise missile, program in some waypoints and send it on its way.

How fast do you want it to be? Internal combustion or battery powered? There are a lot of variables, and Sevastopol and Odessa are roughly 300 km apart.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

How fast do you want it to be? Internal combustion or battery powered? There are a lot of variables, and Sevastopol and Odessa are roughly 300 km apart.

Yeah no idea. I assume the fact that these don't exist means that they're not trivial to make in a useful (regarding speed, cost, stealthiness so they can actually hit something) fashion. But a sort of drone redo of the WW2 manned torpedo / sabotage boat that can be released from decent distance by a mothership and then attacks moored ships is a fun idea.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Don't exist...?

good thread of everything that's been tracked down so far about the sevastopol attack

https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1586460379697348608

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 29, 2022

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Russian nuke submarines have massively thick hulls because they dive very deep.

Happy to be corrected, but I don't think they need to breach the pressure hull to sink the submarine: Stop the ballast tanks from retaining air and I think that ought to do it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

Happy to be corrected, but I don't think they need to breach the pressure hull to sink the submarine: Stop the ballast tanks from retaining air and I think that ought to do it.

If they’re taking after the nazis, they can sink one by loving up flushing the head :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Quackles posted:

Huh. I didn't know you could improve on the torpedo.

Gonna be some....interesting times....ahead for navies. Compare the theoretical cost of, like, 500 of these things to the cost of one carrier battle group. The numbers don't look good to my land-based rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bird food bathtub posted:

Gonna be some....interesting times....ahead for navies. Compare the theoretical cost of, like, 500 of these things to the cost of one carrier battle group. The numbers don't look good to my land-based rear end.

CAPTOR mines have existed for a while, and the Navy's already considered suicide drones, considering their adding Bushmaster cannon to a fair number of ships.

CAPTORs are geared for submarines, though. You'd need to figure out a way to scale them up to Mk48s to do any substantive damage, and it's not like torpedo nets still aren't a thing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 30, 2022