Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

try reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
ah, stux is a traditionalist. makes a lot of sense tbh

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Jump scares are easy, psychological dread is hard

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

see also why lots of horror has devolved into jump scares instead of long periods of unresolved tension

that's far more because building up tension and letting it linger takes actual artful skill and preparation, whereas a thing popping out from behind a corner to a musical sting requires a CGI artist and a violin and is more conducive to mass market media production

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Horror movies peaked with Re-Animator so there's no point trying hard when you will never reach those peaks.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Someone randomly told me the exact ending of Returnal in response to me saying "is Returnal going to have a dumb ending" and it made me not really care to play it because not knowing what was going on was actually pretty cool and knowing exactly where it's leading takes all the interest out of the story. Not that I was playing it for the story, but the gameplay wasn't my favourite either, and at least the mystery was keeping me coming back. I don't usually care that much about spoilers but man, it really did ruin the game for me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

ah, stux is a traditionalist. makes a lot of sense tbh

Stux believes emotion can only truly be conveyed through cave paintings

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I did

quote:

the obsessive need to know what is going to happen in advance so as to not feel real tension or unease is a modern sickness brought about by being terminally online.

quote:

however your internet infected brain can attempt to justify a behavioral type which is very new and runs counter to human history

You're wrong.

People have been caring about things like spoilers and caring about the end result more than the journey there way before the internet and it's silly for you to try and pin it as strictly a new internet thing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the idea that the internet is causing some kind of obsessive need to know the outcome of media ahead of time is pretty funny when the conventional cornerstone of classical greek theater that everyone expected was for the gods to get wheeled down on a crane to resolve every issue at the end

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I did

You're wrong.

People have been caring about things like spoilers and caring about the end result more than the journey there way before the internet and it's silly for you to try and pin it as strictly a new internet thing.

not what i said

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's fine to want to be surprised by a media but treating promo material released by the creator as spoilers is a bit silly. If you don't trust them to not to hurt the work in the process of announcing it and convincing you to check it out, why do you trust that they did a good job on the parts they aren't telling you about

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

not what i said

Then why did you say it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
People have always had the urge the internet is just the latest way to facilitate and profit from said urge.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

Stux believes emotion can only truly be conveyed through cave paintings

rarity please do not tell me which caves have paintings!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i didnt say what you typed. you did. i said what you quoted, which is not the same as what you said. in fact what i said is clearly in direct opposition to what you typed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

People have always had the urge the internet is just the latest way to facilitate and profit from said urge.

i would argue that the urge to avoid spoilers is far more profitable, given that every marvel movie has ended with some big setup twist post-credits that implicitly encourages ticket-buying FOMO when a cone of socially imposed silence is plopped down over it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

i didnt say what you typed. you did. i said what you quoted, which is not the same as what you said. in fact what i said is clearly in direct opposition to what you typed.

I understand how there's a miscommunication here. Let me clarify.

Are you saying it is a new thing, a result of the internet, that people care so much about knowing the spoilers for a story that they need to know everything they can before watching/reading/playing the thing they want spoilers of

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the internet caused it to be much easier to become spoiled, which then resulted in counter-spoiler culture becoming much more prominent

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no. im saying its become more widespread and normalised.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and its not about caring about the end more than the journey. its wanting to not know where the journey is headed. the end is often irrelevant outside of very specific stories. its this:

luffy doesnt even care if the treasure really exists, he cares about the journey. and thats why hes absolutely right, and based.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I read the more recent part of the argument first, which was kind of like reading spoilers for it, but I was still surprised when I went back to last page and stux hadn't said anything at all about spoilers only just mattering to people. that was a kind of surprise too

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok

I agree that the internet has made it easier to find these people but I disagree that the internet normalised their behavior because this type of behavior has existed catered to by various forms of media going back millennia.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's fine to want to be surprised by a media but treating promo material released by the creator as spoilers is a bit silly. If you don't trust them to not to hurt the work in the process of announcing it and convincing you to check it out, why do you trust that they did a good job on the parts they aren't telling you about

The creator of the work isn't necessarily the one doing the promotional material. Yes, depends on how you define creator and all that, of course.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

It's fine to want to be surprised by a media but treating promo material released by the creator as spoilers is a bit silly.
The creators aren't the one who make promotional material, that's up to the distributors. I'm on board with avoiding official promo material like trailers. It's often just a complete tonal mismatch with the actual movie. The editing, one of the most important aspects of a film, obviously goes out the window completely, and trailers have their own dumb tropes even when the movies themselves don't [the music suddenly drops out and someone makes a quip before smashing back to the chorus of whatever popular song is playing and the montage gets faster and faster; a three or four word phrase is interspersed dramatically].

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, THAT trailer just happened.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

and its not about caring about the end more than the journey. its wanting to not know where the journey is headed. the end is often irrelevant outside of very specific stories. its this:

luffy doesnt even care if the treasure really exists, he cares about the journey. and thats why hes absolutely right, and based.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I read the more recent part of the argument first, which was kind of like reading spoilers for it, but I was still surprised when I went back to last page and stux hadn't said anything at all about spoilers only just mattering to people. that was a kind of surprise too

The confusion is entirely my fault, my apologies. I see where the confusion came from. I described people who try to know all of the spoilers for something as people who care about spoilers, but that's not a good description because it can also be applied to people who vehemently avoid spoilers at all costs, and what's more both kinds of people can be described as caring more about the end result than the journey so it's an entirely muddled point from my own inability to properly convey what I'm trying to say.

I am sorry.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I will say that modern day trailers for things tend to show more of the plot or story beats than I would like. I don't know how many times I've seen promotional material for even a movie I don't care to watch and said after, "well, that felt like I know everything that happens now"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

yea i absoltuely trust the marketing and advertising freaks who didnt make anything and are working off of pure economics to drive their decsisions. 1000%

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok

I agree that the internet has made it easier to find these people but I disagree that the internet normalised their behavior because this type of behavior has existed catered to by various forms of media going back millennia.

thats normalisation

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I enjoy movie trailers from the 70s where they literally show you the entire plot of the movie

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

thats normalisation

I just think it happened long ago, not recently

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I for one don’t know why people go see Rome and Juliet productions at this point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it literally was not possible for you to look up an entire plot synopsis for every piece of media that has ever existed, until the internet. some people deciding to read the last page of a book first is not a normalised behavior.

May 8, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I for one don’t know why people go see Rome and Juliet productions at this point

no real point when the 1996 film is available

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

yup. this. tbh only the first time i watch/read/whatever something matters. once ive experieneced it once its spoiled so ill never do it again. nail... meet head :D

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Then I have no idea what stux is talking about, who are these people reading plot synopses before watching a thing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And if they are, who cares

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'll look up a plot of a film sometimes, mostly to see if any interesting or cool stuff happens in it. i'm not all that concerned about whether it 'ruins' media for me because i still enjoy the media. what on account of the execution being the important thing

like, being alive today means that you already know Laurie survives the first Halloween because Jamie Lee Curtis' name and face have been in several Halloween movies/posters since. but knowing that doesn't ruin the experience of watching the first Halloween film, because all of the fun of the movie is in how it is shot and directed, with its lingering scenes, clever cinematography, and so many moments of incredible tension

also the scene where mike myers comes into a room dressed as a ghost and stands there silently. simultaneously hilarious and terrifying

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 29, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Relax Or DIE posted:

I have no real memory of this film beyond the opening scene which we watched in English class.

I saw that someone tried to make a hip Rosencrantz and Guildenstern-style film from the perspective of Rosaline but all the dialogue sounded cringe to me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

GIVE ME MY LONG SWORD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i wish i had a spoiler for this argument so i could have skipped it