Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I decided today was the day to gently caress around with decky but apparently the latest OS update has broken it so it doesn’t work, what terrible timing

Yeah I updated it a few days ago and they had it listed as the "Valve is pushing Deck UI to desktop and broke all our poo poo" update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

When I reassembled my Deck I somehow mixed up the screws so the one I had left over for the back shield was too thin to fasten to the provided hole. I guess I'll have to take everything apart again to figure out which 3.52mm vs 3.57mm screw is in the wrong spot. I knew I should have numbered them coming out...

the back cover itself has two different lenghts of screws, the shorter ones go in the middle and the longer ones on the outer rim

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risutora posted:

the back cover itself has two different lenghts of screws, the shorter ones go in the middle and the longer ones on the outer rim

yeah, those I can tell apart, it was the longer (and wider!) screw for the metal inner shield that messed me up.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

EDIT: *sigh* wrong "Steam" thread

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you don’t have leftover mystery screws did you even really take apart your electronics

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, those I can tell apart, it was the longer (and wider!) screw for the metal inner shield that messed me up.

I had to be careful to not mix up that one and the one for the m.2 slot, but my 64gb deck is now a 1tb deck so I guess I did something right! And by something I mean using a couple magnets to keep similarly-sized screws separated.

Honestly, the hardest part was popping the back cover off after taking the screws out.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Am I likely to break anything by messing around with the Thermal Power Limit?

Playing Bad North at the minute which obviously isn’t the most demanding thing in the world. Noticed the fan was going mad and the performance settings were set to the default 15 watts. Dropped it down to 5 watts and the fans have settled down, with no noticeable performance dip.

For more powerful games, am I best leaving it at 15? I know some games on Proton DB will indicate these things but not all do.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Shouldn't break anything, and you've pretty much figured out the use case - it's really common advice to drop it down for low-impact games to preserve battery.

For harder hitters, once I have all of my OTHER settings (like FPS limits) the way I want, I'll see how a game runs if I drop it down to 12 instead of 15. Usually, I don't see any difference.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

My Deck no longer charges as of this morning. Usb-C port is incredibly loose as well, cords keep falling right out of it. Dunno what the gently caress happened, I didn’t drop it or anything. I guess I might have set something on the cord or had it get snagged on something, but goddamn that’s a delicate little port if that’s the case.

Either way, RMA time I guess :(

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

can't hurt to poop it open and look at the connector from the inside? it only takes 5 minutes. RMAing anything is lame

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

forest spirit posted:

can't hurt to poop it open and look at the connector from the inside? it only takes 5 minutes. RMAing anything is lame

Cleveland Steam Deck

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

forest spirit posted:

I’d have to pull the entire motherboard to get a good look at it and I don’t have any thermal paste laying around to replace on the heat sink after taking it apart. I did pop the back plate and reseated the battery cable just in case. No luck.

Looked inside the port with a flashlight as well, nothing stuck in it, nothing looks broken. I think I can see one of the little nubs that’s supposed to apply pressure to the cable pushed in a bit. I’m betting something put pressure on the cable while it was plugged in and screwed something up. Might have set my iPad on it or got it stuck on something picking it up.

Edit: also wiggling the cord around in there isn’t tripping the charge light at all, regardless of the angle I try, so it’s gotta be more than just the loose cable or I’d be able to get contact in there somewhere.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 29, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yay, my Gabe Gear arrived today :toot: only waited a week, too, very cool

Anything I ought to do with this thing first and foremost, like for QoL purposes? (aside from checking out Aperture Desk Job, that is)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mine just got delivered as well. It’s currently downloading whatever it needs to.

Just need to figure out what to install to pass the time for two weeks until Tactics Ogre is released. Might have to actually look at my backlog of games and play some of them. -shudder-

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

Yay, my Gabe Gear arrived today :toot: only waited a week, too, very cool

Anything I ought to do with this thing first and foremost, like for QoL purposes? (aside from checking out Aperture Desk Job, that is)

Adjust your stick Dead Zones, the default settings are bad.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Got the RMA approval and a shipping label. They’re quick, at least.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Every game that comes out simultaneously on the Deck and Switch I have to evaluate to figure out which one I want. Tactics Ogre too.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
For everyone talking about moving files, you can also use any web storage like OneDrive or iCloud. I keep a transfer folder just for dropping things between devices.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I am interested, should I get a deck now or wait till a hardware refresh? I could wait.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

If I am interested, should I get a deck now or wait till a hardware refresh? I could wait.

Get it now. They only just managed to manufacture enough to get the product out of a queue system, and I imagine now they’re working on their stated goal of having enough to put on store shelves. They’re not making a new model any time soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Any major hardware refresh probably isn't going to be for at least another 2 years.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It’s also extremely upgradable so even if they do come up with a Deck 2 it shouldn’t be a huge deal to build something to match it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah tbh I'm sort of expecting them to have an upgrade option if they do upgrade the chipset kinda like Retroid did with the Retroid Pocket 2+.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If, in the future, I could rip my Deck apart and put in a new mobo with a new APU and an OLED screen I'd nut.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Every game that comes out simultaneously on the Deck and Switch I have to evaluate to figure out which one I want. Tactics Ogre too.

I can't see a single instance where you would ever want a game on the switch over the deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

If, in the future, I could rip my Deck apart and put in a new mobo with a new APU and an OLED screen I'd nut.

I feel like especially at the price point they are at might as well just buy a whole new deck vs saving $100

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

For everyone talking about moving files, you can also use any web storage like OneDrive or iCloud. I keep a transfer folder just for dropping things between devices.

Or of course the old fashioned way through using USB drives or SD cards through a dock or hub

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

worms butthole guy posted:

I can't see a single instance where you would ever want a game on the switch over the deck.

Online multiplayer springs immediately to mind

Edit: I’ve been loving around with yuzu today and immediately interpreted this stance as “instead of just emulating it” because I forgot cross platform games existed for a minute, I’m gonna leave this post as a monument to my dumbass but also because it still applies for emulation :v:

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 29, 2022

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've invested a lot of time into my dead cells game on the switch and I can't really see why it would be that much better on the steam deck. I gotta invest more in those nintendo exclusives though.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Online multiplayer springs immediately to mind

Edit: I’ve been loving around with yuzu today and immediately interpreted this stance as “instead of just emulating it” because I forgot cross platform games existed for a minute, I’m gonna leave this post as a monument to my dumbass but also because it still applies for emulation :v:

??? You can play online with a deck and you don't have to pay extra to do so??? I guess if you have friends buying it on switch maybe

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've invested a lot of time into my dead cells game on the switch and I can't really see why it would be that much better on the steam deck. I gotta invest more in those nintendo exclusives though.

Ergonomics my friend.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

worms butthole guy posted:

OLED

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Ergonomics my friend.

I do own a Pro Controller, I rarely take that thing out of the dock these days.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ok so Doom 2016 is one of my GOAT’s anyway, and in particular I do have a thing for the Switch version..

But.. Doom on Deck? Someone wipe my brow. Holy poo poo. This might be the most impressed I’ve been by a videogame thing in years. It looks and runs stunning, and while I still consider that Switch version to be a miracle port for what it is, there’s no comparison here. This is mind blowing.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I think the Switch has John Carmack to thank for Doom running so well. The man makes a solid engine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Ok so Doom 2016 is one of my GOAT’s anyway, and in particular I do have a thing for the Switch version..

But.. Doom on Deck? Someone wipe my brow. Holy poo poo. This might be the most impressed I’ve been by a videogame thing in years. It looks and runs stunning, and while I still consider that Switch version to be a miracle port for what it is, there’s no comparison here. This is mind blowing.

The moment I get an SD card for the deck, I'm redownloading all 60ish gb of Doom 2016 and finally finishing it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tenkaris posted:

I think the Switch has John Carmack to thank for Doom running so well. The man makes a solid engine.

The studio who did the port, Panic Button are also god drat wizards with some of the ports they've pulled off. The Switch version of Warframe that they did is not only good looking and runs well but is way smaller in filesize than you'd expect.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm looking forward to steam deck doom eternal, just because of the gyro.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If the software is on both platforms and cost and performance were the same, and modding weren’t an issue, I’d pick the Switch version of a game most times. The Switch feels a lot better to hold and the docking experience for moving between handheld and the TV is nice and smooth, unlike my Valve dock which is incredibly finicky. I also never have to worry about small proton compatibility issues.

I got the Deck mostly to play games where this is not the scenario at hand though, which is a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's fair, even if a game is on PC and Switch there's no immediate guarantee it's not going to be a pain in the rear end to make it work on the Deck.