Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RocketMermaid posted:

To be fair, the main lineup had been established early on and the test batches were made on a 1BBL pilot system before being scaled up to the 30BBL. Although we got confident enough in our techniques and methods that we started skipping pilot testing and just went for full batches, including when we started making kettle sours successfully. It helps having experienced professionals developing your recipes instead of a bunch of fuckhead amateur techbros.

Fuckhead Techbro Presents: Hazy Milk Sour IPA Stout, aged in cherry wood sherry barrels, and octuple hopped because gently caress you.

What other crimes against yeast and good taste will Fuckhead Techbro Brewing make? Oreo cookie and tobasco dark sour? Fruit salad summer shandy? An IPA with so many hopps that they put one in every bottle like the scorpion in the cheap 90s tequila?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I was told to build x number of widgets this week for a commercial/large volume customer by the end of the week which was pushing it but I obliged. I worked overtime (yay) only to hit a dead end today because we didn’t have enough stock of one of the core pieces of the widget. The reason? Inventory management is done by eyeballing the supply room and praying to inventory Jesus that we have enough to do things.

My company routinely has to cut orders short because we run out of boxes to put the poo poo in, or we run out of secondary components that pair with the finished goods we put in the boxes

Inventory management is a lost skill at my job, apparently

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Honestly, the best thing most brewery owners can do is hire good people and get the gently caress out of the way. And hire dedicated managers who know how to manage a business instead of thinking being in tech makes you qualified to run and manage a business. My biggest complaint about my current employer is that the owners all have day jobs and think they can basically operate the brewery as a side hustle. Which leads to all sorts of logistical and communications hijinx. I think they sometimes start lines of inquiry and float ideas on Slack just because they're bored at their tech jobs, which is inconvenient at best when me and the other brewer are trying to, y'know, operate a brewery.

100%. That place with the crazed owner I keep taking about wasn't in tech, but I think he wanted to be, but he was just a rich guy. We communicated over Slack a lot. He'd always be out of town doing cycling events or whatever and would get loving pissy if I called him with questions because if we made decisions without him he'd get pissy. And lol at letting us stick to a production schedule.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm leaving my workplace and not looking back. Literally walking out.

I discovered they have been saying that I don't work. How the hell am I suppose to work if they can't pay the internet services? What the hell do they expect if they come asking for designs and logos one hour before a presentation? Or don't give me the information of the poo poo they need until weeks later, and just the same day they urgently need it.

The other day the owner's son asked me to do a power point presentation. I was like...what in the gently caress? He went on to sit down on the next room to play some videogame instead. The guy is an adult, a "lawyer", and he can't be bothered to do a loving power point presentation.

I feel you dude. I think I got out of the graphics industry just in the nick of time.

My last job working for a sign company had a standing procedure that "Design time" was fifteen loving minutes per job. Not a real problem if it's just a basic real estate or yard sale sign but salespeople, customers and most managers don't understand what "basic" means. Pixellated logos, bad photography, multiple rounds of changes to the art, finding previous files, rooting through servers to find the logos and instructions, clipping paths on images color matching. All kinds of poo poo.

This was compounded and made worse by the fact that the "15 minutes" also consisted of me organizing everything in the server/job folder, moving everything around in the workflow manager, making notes, finding clip art or stock images, adding cut files for production, making separate "proof" versions of the art (that were different than the production art and placed on a template with specs and poo poo) plus god forbid I had any questions or anything. It also meant that any time I made a mistake or a change, I had to do it like three or 4 times (art file, production file, proof file, cut file) so 15 minutes goes really fast.

Graphics companies want their shops to run like fast food drive thrus or like a Jimmy Johns but everything is a custom order so it doesn't work. It's made worse by the fact that most owners and salespeople have never done page layout or used ADobe for anything at all, ever. So it's like an auto repair shop run by a dude who's never fixed a car before.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Outrail posted:

Burn it to the ground Friendo.

Yup.

Long story short; I used to be in a front line technical support service desk that supported two different data platforms. Upper management decided that they wanted to restructure and split the team up into two sections, each of which would do full platform management for one of the platforms (i.e. uniting the policy and the technical support provision along platform lines, instead of having a shared technical team that could answer support questions about either platform and a separate team that managed policy.)

As there was no pre-existing policy team for one of the platforms, the majority of my former team got turned into it, and therefore there's a wealth of technical knowledge in the team and they're coming to grips with new policy management stuff. I've been moved into a team that has only operated as a policy team, whose members do not understand the technical aspects of the platform.

Guess where the preponderance of technical support work sits?

Apologies for clumsy redactions and possibly whiny tone but I don't care anymore.

quote:

[$boss],

I am writing this email as my position at work is swiftly becoming untenable.

I am currently operating under enormous pressure at work, stemming largely from the volume of technical and service desk-related work that has been carried over from my previous position, coupled with the paucity of resources available in my current team that can be brought to bear against it.

I do not wish to go into too much detail relitigating concerns raised when my former team was first made aware of the proposed staffing changes, save to point out that concerns regarding the distribution of work and staff expertise were at the forefront of those raised by multiple members of the then-[$oldteam] team, and I do not believe that those concerns have been effectively addressed either prior to the transition or since.

I was brought into this team without a clear indication of the description of scope of my intended role. I was told by [$boss's boss] that this would be something that would be determined across the period of transition - note that I was absent for the week leading up to and the week after the transition due to leave that had been booked prior, and that could not be shifted due to the fact that I had already outlaid multiple thousands of dollars worth of non-refundable vacation expenses. Despite my absence during this period and subsequent inability to contribute to any discussions pertaining to the transition or opportunity to discuss expectations surrounding my role prior to commencement, I put my best foot forward and attempted to hit the ground running when I returned.

The transition of [$oldteam]'s Teradata-related workload to the new team has been problematic. Teradata support work comprised upwards of 2/3 of the ongoing workload of the [$oldteam] Service Desk, which was regularly handled by 3 full-time staff members - myself, [3 teammates] (with [$oldboss] occasionally contributing with regard to particularly complex or technically-focussed work). Currently, I am the primary person in charge of this work, and the only person in the team that has recent experience working on the [$oldteam] service desk (I do not wish to minimize the contributions of [$otherteammate] - his assistance with regards to handling [$requests] has been invaluable, and necessary as per our previous discussion I have had no prior experience in handling them - however he has not worked for [$oldteam] for roughly two years, and he has more than his own share of competing work demands that limit his current capacity to take the pressure off of me). What this means is that in effect my workload has more than doubled when taking into account only former [$oldteam] -related technical tasks.

Compounding this the fact that is in addition to this radically increased workload from a service desk perspective, I am also required to contribute to other tasks within the team, several of which are assigned to me as I am the only team member with the required working technical knowledge. I would like to point out that in several past sprints my share of Story Points have been second only to your own within the team even when discounting the Story Points attributable to former [$oldteam] support desk work. I note that I have expressed the above to you, in as many words, in multiple standups during sprints where this has occurred.

In effect, my workload has tripled from when I was in my former team.

I have attempted to manage this workload effectively, however my ability to do so has been severely curtailed by a number of factors:

1. The workload is inherently unpredictable. In some weeks, the number of service requests coming through can potentially be handled around other demands. In others, it is frankly overwhelming. When actioned by a team of three this work was manageable; there were some periods of lower demand than others, but during particularly busy periods any overload was split between three people. Currently there are periods where the demand from service requests/former [$oldteam] work in effect take up 100% of my time, with a constant and frankly unhealthily breakneck speed required in order to avoid falling behind. As an example, I refer you to the week around a month ago where I was unable to address any other tasks for the entirety of that week due to a surge in service desk demand.

A variable and unpredictable source of work such as this seems incompatible with a tightly-managed workload-focussed sprint. Note that even during periods of 'downtime' when less service desk work is coming through, I am not afforded the opportunity to slow down and catch my breath as I have to keep working on my other assigned tasks at breakneck speed, due to the fact that I cannot predict how long the period of low service desk demand will last. As a result, I am constantly running myself ragged.

This is also why I expressed discomfort when you requested that I included explicit timeframe scoping for the schedule of work surrounding the [$bigproject]. This is a significant piece of work that due to technical knowledge requirements would need to be completed by myself as the primarily responsible person, and scoping this is largely incompatible with managing variable and unpredictable competing demands. Note that this is why the commencement of this work has been delayed from its original start date last sprint, and frankly I do not believe it should be attempted this upcoming sprint either.

2. Deprioritization of the workload is not viable. As I am ultimately the primary person in charge of the support desk work, any work that I don't get done now will have to get done later. I refer to the instance a few weeks ago when you directed me to not respond to the service desk at all over a period of several days while I focussed on other assigned tasks. Ultimately this just resulted in me completing the other tasks first, creating delays for others in the organisation due to lack of response from the service desk, and simply shifting the completion of the work to later in the week. This approach does not address the root issue of the sheer volume of work.

Additionally, there are instances where high priority work that must be done immediately comes through. I refer to the last 2 weeks where the process for [$technicaltask] (which usually takes several weeks) had to be processed in 1-2 days as rapid response was required in relation to various [$literal front page news]-centric work. This would have been challenging to achieve when there were 3 people handling all service requests. With one person it became frankly punishing.

I also note the sheer financial impact of delays resulting from deprioritization. For example, last Friday when I was handling a number of competing concerns including the creation of one of the [$literal front page news]-requests, we received the required authorisation for the bulk access request relating to [$task] staff. There were 31 staff involved, each of whom had been unable to work while authorisation was being sought. Now that it had been provided to us, even assuming [x salary] for these staff, every hour that I delayed in processing this request would have represented $1,000 in lost productivity for the department. Hence, it was one more high priority item for me to attend to that day.

Having worked in [$oldteam] for over 2 years I am keenly aware of the impact of the service desk aspects that we have brought over from there and their importance to the functioning of the organisation.

3. Reduction of the workload is ultimately incumbent upon myself. As the team member with the technical knowledge surrounding the functions we have brought over, I will need to be involved heavily in updating our procedural documents and in bringing my new teammates up to speed with regards to how to address various types of enquiry. In effect; prior to being able to shift the burden of the work I have assigned to me that I am solely capable of performing, I will need to take on an additional burden of training and taskcard development on top of an already overwhelming workload.

4. Sources for technical assistance are limited. As no-one senior to me in the new team is familiar with the technical functions of the service desk or with many technical aspects of Teradata as a whole, I am largely unable to rely on my team for technical assistance in regards to anything where a have gaps in my knowledge. My options in many cases are to either make ad hoc enquiries to my previous team-mates who have their own workloads in unrelated areas now, or to ask around in other unrelated teams in the agency. This is unfair to those whose jobs are not/no longer to provide me with this support, and frankly doing so too much will likely garner a reputation for being burdensome and degrade the professional capital I have with those teams.

I have remained professional and responsive with regards to my new role, and despite my initial misgivings surrounding the team change have consistently output a high volume of work of excellent quality. However at this point I am experiencing significant physical and mental health impacts due to the above factors. People who I know in my personal life and who I have not mentioned any changes regarding my work to are making unsolicited remarks that I appear to be struggling, and my partner has expressed multiple times that this is the most stressed that she has ever seen me. Negative thoughts regarding this situation are intruding into my time outside of work, and I am quite literally losing sleep over it.

Ultimately, I am seeking the following commitments:

1. An immediate pathway towards addressing the above.

2. A clear pathway out of my current position. [$good Director] has approached me and advised that there is both a position available working under [$good Assistant Director], and a strong desire to have me fill it. As you know joining this team is a formal career goal that you have signed off on in my performance agreement, and it is one that I would like to avail myself of as soon as possible. I am open to spending some time upskilling my current team-mates in being able to take on my technical responsibilities, but this would be incumbent on a timeframe being set and commitment #1 above being addressed.

I would appreciate serious consideration being given to these circumstances as they are causing me to re-evaluate my continued tenure in the agency.

I'm almost toying with ccing my boss' boss in on it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

holy poo poo dude no one is going to read that, I'm sorry

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

never send an email that long to anyone

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
If all that information is absolutely essential, split it into documents attached to the email, and make the email a series of summaries of the contents of those documents.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
95% of us work from home now.
There are about 20 of us in the office, for one or two days at most.

They put up Halloween decorations in the rooms that are no longer used by anyone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Estates staff must be really bored without people to organise useless guff for.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

happyhippy posted:

They put up Halloween decorations in the rooms that are no longer used by anyone.

No longer used by anyone so far.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

boar guy posted:

holy poo poo dude no one is going to read that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're holding a secret haunted house to make some extra money.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Breetai posted:

Apologies for clumsy redactions and possibly whiny tone but I don't care anymore.

quote:

I quit

gently caress YOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU

I'm almost toying with ccing my boss' boss in on it.

Succinct

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Halloweened again!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

happyhippy posted:

I think I posted about this last year, but we set up the Christmas tree in our area again and decorated it with Halloween poo poo

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Breetai posted:

TL; Half-read

I imagine the writing of that was cathartic.

Now don't send it.

Try:

Hi,

I'm applying for department X, position Y, as we discussed in my development plan.

Even if I don't get the position, we need to work out a plan for getting more help with A, B, and C.

(Insert SHORT explanation of why you need help, and specific issues you hope to resolve by getting help)

Let me know if you have questions. Thanks!

They may not do anything. But it'll be more effective than that overwrought tirade, and make them less likely to torpedo you moving to the new position.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Atopian posted:

If all that information is absolutely essential, split it into documents attached to the email, and make the email a series of summaries of the contents of those documents.

Yeah, put it in a letter and attach the PDF. The email should be bullet point summaries.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if I'm a manager and I get that email I am immediately looking for ways to offload that person and hire someone else

you care about your job far more than they do. if you leave they will hire someone else. that's it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It is excellently detailed documentation, but slamming somebody with a wall of text like that is a non-starter. Do keep it handy though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

RocketMermaid posted:

I guess it doesn't help that all those folks literally worked in a separate building and rarely rubbed shoulders with us filthy machine-touchers. The only time I saw them blink was when me and another brewer gave our notice on the same day that we were going over to Lagunitas, and I saw the CEO (this was after John Hall left) pushing all the managers and HR into a conference room, and I thought, "About loving time."

Oh man white collar employees who sneer at the blue collar employees who generate all of the product/profit are the worst. We had one who had never worked a shift and was proud of having not set foot in one of those locations for years, as this person was paid six figures to administer Myers-Briggs tests to management.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man white collar employees who sneer at the blue collar employees who generate all of the product/profit are the worst. We had one who had never worked a shift and was proud of having not set foot in one of those locations for years, as this person was paid six figures to administer Myers-Briggs tests to management.

Oh, you mean a business astrologer?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
If I'm asked to take a personality test by an employer I drop the interview process immediately. If it's ever sprung on me after hiring that's the first day I'm looking for a new job.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If I'm asked to take a personality test by an employer I drop the interview process immediately. If it's ever sprung on me after hiring that's the first day I'm looking for a new job.

The last time I saw one of those that wasn't a meme was in 2002 when my friend and I were taken to some "We'll help you decide your future" class by our moms our senior year. I don't remember the personality test but the other results were that I should go to school to learn how to be an X-ray Technician and the job I should have was lawnmower repair.

I think our moms got scammed, there's just something fishy about it. :thunk:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, fair point. That was the result of me sitting down in a fit of pique and cathartically vomiting my feelings onto a page in a single uninterrupted and unedited stream of consciousness.

Gonna have to turn paragraphs into sentences.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Goose Island made me take one of those tests during the hiring process and it made me lol.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RocketMermaid posted:

Honestly, the best thing most brewery owners can do is hire good people and get the gently caress out of the way. And hire dedicated managers who know how to manage a business instead of thinking being in tech makes you qualified to run and manage a business.

The best thing I've learned at my current job is that hiring adults and then giving them responsibilities and resources works. So does treating the person doing the work as the SME for that work. I am left alone to do my work and to come up with more things that are my responsibility. There's good reason why we hit single digits in a "Best places to work in IT" survey recently.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

boar guy posted:

holy poo poo dude no one is going to read that, I'm sorry

This. That is an email that should be a meeting. They absolutely will not read it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mllaneza posted:

The best thing I've learned at my current job is that hiring adults and then giving them responsibilities and resources works. So does treating the person doing the work as the SME for that work. I am left alone to do my work and to come up with more things that are my responsibility. There's good reason why we hit single digits in a "Best places to work in IT" survey recently.

Oh and I bet when a dept is created for a specific limited scope project that team disbands when it is completed, rather than sit around for years with nothing to do? :rolleyes:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Breetai posted:

Yeah, fair point. That was the result of me sitting down in a fit of pique and cathartically vomiting my feelings onto a page in a single uninterrupted and unedited stream of consciousness.

Gonna have to turn paragraphs into sentences.

I read the whole thing and I think you clearly have all your thoughts in a coherent order and your conclusions flow from your points. Still, I would agree with making this a meeting rather than an email to ensure your audience actually digests it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
My reticence towards making it a meeting stems from the fact that when stressed during meetings, including leadership forums, my boss starts ugly crying uncontrollably.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Breetai posted:

My reticence towards making it a meeting stems from the fact that when stressed during meetings, including leadership forums, my boss starts ugly crying uncontrollably.

Jesus Christ. What a great trait for someone in a leadership position.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I've got a loud, pro-cop, pro-trucker convoy, never-shuts-the-gently caress-up Joe Rogan wannabe coworker who took my concerns with Elon buying twitter as his moment to shine yesterday. I always knew he was a bootlicker, but after he finished his rage-induced, hands-trembling diatribe against rules being put in place to function as the fundamental barricades of a functional society (wherein he also dismissed January 6th as being anything but a valid form of protest against 'tyranny'), I said "So what you're telling me is that you're pro-fascism?" It snapped some sort of synapse in his brain. Imagine a surly, bald, 46-year-old white dude who looks exactly like Bill Burr, foaming at the mouth with that wide-eyed insane-person stare that only the dangerously idiotic get, locked directly on me, and trembling with rage as he spits out something to the effect of (paraphrasing):

"I NEVER said that. Plus, you think you know what fascism is? You can't possibly know what that word means because you've never lived under fascism."

Imagine Bill Burr saying that to you one-on-one, menacingly, as he shakes uncontrollably, and you'll have a pretty good picture of the situation. Like, okay dude, sure. I get it. Being an Albertan under the Trudeau Prime Ministership means you are allowed to understand and interpret fascism however you want, and any other interpretation is not only wrong, but unknowable. Right. Okay. :jerkbag:

And somewhere in the middle of all that bullshit and phoney bravado alpha male posturing garbage, he springs this sage wisdom onto me: "You wouldn't survive 24 hours if the lights went off. I know that for a fact." Like, my guy, is this a thinly veiled threat or something? As if his imagination that my will to survive is somehow lesser than his, based on absolutely nothing, which, again, falls under the banner of fascist tendencies, wherein rules aren't a thing and it's all a matter of who is *cough* strongest. I tried to point this out to him and he just kept talking over me and trying to pull off as many bullshit stream of consciousness rightwing whataboutisms that his brain could conjure up until I finally just had to exit the situation. Boenhoffer was right, there is no reasoning with stupid people.

This same guy had a mental breakdown two weeks back because another coworker accidentally did a job that another department was supposed to do, and in his mind this meant we'd be stuck doing it forever, rather than just admit we made a mistake followed by an assertion that we won't be doing it again. His reaction was to fold like a paper crane. This man is all show, zero backbone.

TL;DR: I work with Bill Burr's long lost twin and he's a monumental idiot.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Not much would get me to report someone to HR, but someone unhinged screaming Nazi screeds in face would do that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Fuckhead Techbro Presents: Hazy Milk Sour IPA Stout, aged in cherry wood sherry barrels, and octuple hopped because gently caress you.

What other crimes against yeast and good taste will Fuckhead Techbro Brewing make? Oreo cookie and tobasco dark sour? Fruit salad summer shandy? An IPA with so many hopps that they put one in every bottle like the scorpion in the cheap 90s tequila?

Oh please don't give Stone that idea, that is exactly the sort of poo poo they'd love.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My boss's boss's boss (boss and his boss are in a straight line org wise) is like this, she can see us working through the window at her desk, and had been present while we're doing some of the most vital possible work for the company's future, but she's never once said hi to me or any of my techs, never once introduced herself. I've met and chatted with her boss (a VP) multiple times, he always says hi, greets me by name, gives me a fist bump, and usually greets a couple of my techs by name. I'm one of like 15 supervisors that work for her, and I guarantee she doesn't know my name, she had to call my boss to tell me on Teams to go yell at someone for wearing shorts. She also had done nothing useful or helpful ever, she tried to make all my techs wear two sets of gloves while handling hardware because there was one hidden burr on one part that caused an injury that required a whole band-aid to fix.

Also my company cut my headcount by 20%, I don't have enough technicians to accomplish work in a timely manner, but we've added (by my best guess) $750,000 in C-suite people in my direct hierarchy. Unless they're going to come down and start turning wrenches or machining parts, they're not going to help get production back on schedule.

The factory I'm visiting is even worse, they have half the techs for an even higher workload, and none of them know what the gently caress is going on (which is why I'm here) I almost hit triple digit hours this week desperately trying to make up the difference. Their headcount is also frozen, in a brain genius loving move. They're located near the largest pool of talent for our industry in the entire world, they could bump their pay rates $5/hr and poach people who know what they're doing like candy.

Note: the 90+ hours on my time sheet is because I'm a loving idiot, no one asked me to do that, I actually had to ask for multiple exceptions to our fatigue management program to even do that.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They're gonna burn you the gently caress out

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh and I bet when a dept is created for a specific limited scope project that team disbands when it is completed, rather than sit around for years with nothing to do? :rolleyes:

We're in a split model now. Chapters and Domains. Chapters are made up of Sections by specialty and are meant to contain people. Domains have Product people, the Business liaisons, and all the work that needs to be done. The idea is that we put all the database people in a bucket, all the backend people in a bucket, etc. This puts all the specialists in groups so they can be managed as group by someone attuned to dealing with that specialty. Section Leads do all the people manager stuff, and liaise with the Domains to provide people for Squads and Agile Teams to manage ongoing or new service work. On the Domain side lives the Product people, the PMs, and the Business Liaisons. When the business needs something, the Product Owners and Managers send a PM to make a plan and then go to the Section Leads to request resources people to be Squad members or to form Agile teams.

We had a pre-existing commitment to SAFe, so the outcome of the reorg was always going to have to be a structure built to support Agile practices. I think my leadership came up with a pretty clever way to manage the people you'll be forming Agile teams out of.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Impossible, I was a Navy Nuke for 12 years, they cannot touch the poo poo I've had to deal with.

For real though, I probably would have quit when they were forcing me to work 12 hour shifts 6-7 days a week, if I didn't love the job, or love the people who work for me, and they didn't throw crap-tons of money at me (I'm in the highest-paid hourly position in my company). For now that makes up for the bullshit, and there's an actual end in sight.

If they're still pulling this poo poo at a year in, I will 100% put in my 2 weeks. As I almost screamed at my director when he told me my guys "were mostly veterans, they should be used to it" we left because we never wanted to miss out on 6 months of our lives ever again.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

An IPA with so many hopps that they put one in every bottle like the scorpion in the cheap 90s tequila?

How about an IPA that's so full of hops it looks like Yerba Mate and you have to drink it through a filtered straw? I can see this being really popular with the hipster crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

How about an IPA that's so full of hops it looks like Yerba Mate and you have to drink it through a filtered straw? I can see this being really popular with the hipster crowd.

I mean people already call the fruit puree sticking to the side of the glass after drinking smoothie sours "fruit lacing", so why not?