Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it’s entirely easy to do anyway Ben Grimm. Abomination and She Hulk change at will. Abomination chose it. Bruce is closer to Bens situation but there’s always been a certain connection between them. But it’s still different. Bruce changes back and forth and lives in fear of what the Hulk will do. Or didn’t. Ben doesn’t have that. He is the Thing. It’s just him all the time and he’s as in control as anyone. But he’s still a “monster” who loses much of his capacity for human interaction and intimacy. It’s still depressing as hell and he just has to live with it. It’s basically a mental health story about a serious trauma victim or something That’s how I’d play it. And of course focus that resentment on Reed for causing it and Johnny for getting the good end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We already had a movie that explores the tragedy of “it’s clobbering time”.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They should go the Groot route but instead of I am Groot the only phrase the Thing can say is YANCY STREET

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don't want to see a mopey Thing because that's boring, but so are the FF so maybe that's just want the true fans want

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Make the thing constantly say things he thinks sound cool but actually are embarrassing like "This is how I get my rocks off!"

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't want a mopey Thing either, but a Thing who knows he has to stay active and outgoing because the other choice is to be insecure and outcast, that could be a compelling Thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Really subvert expectations and do a Planetary movie with the Four instead of the FF

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Make the thing constantly say things he thinks sound cool but actually are embarrassing like "This is how I get my rocks off!"

Wait

Is that not cool to say?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I haven't seen it in forever, but am I crazy in remembering that the 2005 FF movie actually had a pretty solid Ben? Lots of comedy but lots of pathos too.

He's probably done the best of the four in those movies, I guess followed by Johnny and then Reed. I'm less invested in the Sue casting than the Reed casting for the new one but Sue's definitely the character that needs the biggest glow-up for the MCU. She's always a badass and a powerhouse in the comics and it never feels like a pandering girlboss thing either. She just rules.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ror posted:

I haven't seen it in forever, but am I crazy in remembering that the 2005 FF movie actually had a pretty solid Ben? Lots of comedy but lots of pathos too.

He's probably done the best of the four in those movies, I guess followed by Johnny and then Reed. I'm less invested in the Sue casting than the Reed casting for the new one but Sue's definitely the character that needs the biggest glow-up for the MCU. She's always a badass and a powerhouse in the comics and it never feels like a pandering girlboss thing either. She just rules.

Michael Chiklis was a spot-on Ben. He was a fan of the comics beforehand which is not required but often welcome and also was the one who insisted they use an actual suit instead of CGI. It's just a shame he was in those two movies. Heck, you could use him now in the upcoming movie and I'm sure it would be fine.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't want a mopey Thing either, but a Thing who knows he has to stay active and outgoing because the other choice is to be insecure and outcast, that could be a compelling Thing.
Why would he be outcast, though? I just can't see it. He's not one of the first superheroes here; he's coming into a world that already knows and loves two Hulks, where the Abomination has fans, where minotaurs and elves walk around, space aliens frequently come to visit, and a giant tree helped save everyone's life. A dude made of rocks is not at all shocking in this context.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I mean, he can have a story involving being uncomfortable with the body he's in. It doesn't all have to be NY street toughs and dames quivering in the face of Ol Rocky.

Depending on how Waka da Forever/Namor/Atlantans go, could be public backlash against heteromorphic folks.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

But he's not who he was. The original design was much more like someone who was badly scarred.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

What is this rule that actors can't play two different characters in a massive universe

Chris Evans has said he's down to be Johnny Storm again and I say let him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

I don't want to see a mopey Thing because that's boring, but so are the FF so maybe that's just want the true fans want

Good thing Feige only cares about what true fans want so he can use it to troll them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Why would he be outcast, though? I just can't see it. He's not one of the first superheroes here; he's coming into a world that already knows and loves two Hulks, where the Abomination has fans, where minotaurs and elves walk around, space aliens frequently come to visit, and a giant tree helped save everyone's life. A dude made of rocks is not at all shocking in this context.

He wouldn't even be the first dude made of rocks.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It’s 2022, can we NOT have a skin condition as a “super power” please?! #cancelTheThing #bodypositivity

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

They should go the Groot route but instead of I am Groot the only phrase the Thing can say is YANCY STREET

this is a really good idea and more people should be on board with it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

Wait

Is that not cool to say?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Imagine paying attention to what Clint thinks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Ben's a native born New Yorker, right? Comes from a Jewish background?

Where'd all the southern phrases come from?

"Ever Lovin, Blue Eyed" is a super southern phrase in my mind, and it doesn't feel like something you'd hear growing up on the bad side of Yancey Street.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing with the Thing isn’t about him being ostracized or hated or feared. As a member of the FF he’s one of the most celebrated heroes. It’s about what’s he’s lost and what he feels. That he feels screwed and inhuman. That he can’t gentle pet an animal or hold someone without consciousness of what’s “wrong” about him and some fear. It’s not about society accepting hulks. It’s about Ben struggling to find peace with what he’s become.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

It’s about Ben struggling to find peace with what he’s become.
:hmmyes:

Plus the whole "Everyone else gets fantastic abilities they can turn on and off at a whim!" thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CzarChasm posted:

Ben's a native born New Yorker, right? Comes from a Jewish background?

Where'd all the southern phrases come from?

"Ever Lovin, Blue Eyed" is a super southern phrase in my mind, and it doesn't feel like something you'd hear growing up on the bad side of Yancey Street.

Everloving/everliving is a euphemism for motherf***ing ("beat the everliving snot out of him" with snot as a bonus euphemism there) and not limited to the south. First traced back to 1920 I believe, common usage in the 60s.

Is euphemism the right word? Definitely intended as a replacement initially but it's got its own life now. I'm not sure if there's a different linguist word for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean then we just get the Impossibles from Venture Bros.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It should be noted, and I don't think anyone disagrees, that what you do or don't do with the Fantastic Four as characters heavily depends on how you're putting them into the world. Fresh, everything just happened? Established/developed characters but it's been off-screen? Reclusive/hiding and come out now?

If you have the F4 happen right now but want them to hit the ground already having adjusted to their new lives, for example, that affects the presentation. "Always been cool with it" Ben Grimm is different to "is now cool with it" Ben Grimm.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
skip everything imo. the kids are there, ben is already married to alicia, johnny...is still johnny i guess

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CapnAndy posted:

are you really asking why someone might be treated poorly by the world in general despite the fact that their existence isn't actually that out of the ordinary?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bruceski posted:

It should be noted, and I don't think anyone disagrees, that what you do or don't do with the Fantastic Four as characters heavily depends on how you're putting them into the world. Fresh, everything just happened? Established/developed characters but it's been off-screen? Reclusive/hiding and come out now?

If you have the F4 happen right now but want them to hit the ground already having adjusted to their new lives, for example, that affects the presentation. "Always been cool with it" Ben Grimm is different to "is now cool with it" Ben Grimm.

Harper plays the leader of the rebels group inside the QR that fight against Kang named Reed Richards.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

STAC Goat posted:

The thing with the Thing isn’t about him being ostracized or hated or feared. As a member of the FF he’s one of the most celebrated heroes. It’s about what’s he’s lost and what he feels. That he feels screwed and inhuman. That he can’t gentle pet an animal or hold someone without consciousness of what’s “wrong” about him and some fear. It’s not about society accepting hulks. It’s about Ben struggling to find peace with what he’s become.

This was more what I meant when I said Ben should be an outcast. More that he is in danger of feeling separate from the rest of world if he doesn't actively go out and try to be a part of it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

live with fruit posted:

Harper plays the leader of the rebels group inside the QR that fight against Kang named Reed Richards.

Maybe Harper is playing a resistance leader who is also one of Kang's descendants...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah with Ben, I feel his appearance has always been more a him problem than a rest of the world probably. He was just self conscious for a long time, and felt his friends were more fortunate than him in their power gains.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Make Ben never become the Thing in the first movie and make everyone fall in love with him. Then tease some poo poo on his skin as the post credits.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Have Ben Grimm played by a Jewish actor, like Lenny Kravitz

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man, the Fantastic Four movie is just going to have a solid half hour of the one MCU joke about names isn't it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was a four panel that used to get posted a lot here where Ben sadly says "I guess I'm the Thing now..." And then Richards shouts something like "And I'm Captain God drat loving Amazing!"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There was a four panel that used to get posted a lot here where Ben sadly says "I guess I'm the Thing now..." And then Richards shouts something like "And I'm Captain God drat loving Amazing!"

Also this classic

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Have Ben Grimm played by a Jewish actor, like Lenny Kravitz

Given the MCU's track record, it'll be Pedro Pascal.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bruceski posted:

Is euphemism the right word? Definitely intended as a replacement initially but it's got its own life now. I'm not sure if there's a different linguist word for that.

It’s usually called bowdlerization, after the name of a prudish editor who famously published an edition of Shakespeare with all the vulgarity removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was announced earlier today that Henry Cavill is leaving The Witcher starting with season 4 so his schedule sure has opened up.