Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

Was the "one movie" 4 hours and 21 minutes long with an intermission in the middle?

I don't remember, It was like 8 years ago before the DVD for the War of the Five Armies had even come out, so the last part of the movie was cut from a cam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't remember, It was like 8 years ago before the DVD for the War of the Five Armies had even come out, so the last part of the movie was cut from a cam.
oh I guess it was one of the earlier fan edits then. The Maple Films one sounds like it's going for the same general idea but with better visual quality/editing

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

I still maintain that the LOTR Extended Editions made each of those films better movies.

I'm still mad, TO THIS DAY, that they cut out the Mouth of Sauron part. How do you remove something so amazingly done?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I tried tracking down a Hobbit-as-one-movie edit but there was like a dozen of them last I checked. I didn’t feel like investigating which was the “best” one

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gotta weight it vs other scenes that carry the same weight, he looks cool but its just him and it kinda feels like he just pulled out a kids diaper for proof

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if your movie is over 3 hours long, it's two movies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
unless you're Kubrick or Kurosawa or some poo poo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

if your movie fan edit is over 3 hours long, it's two movies fan edits

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Recent streaming roundup:

Werewolf By Night may be the best thing Disney Plus has done. Technically part of the MCU but don't let that put you off it, its an hour of 1940s Universal Pictures horror pastiche and it absolutely fucks.

In a similar vein (well-executed throwback/nod to different ages), the original Frankenweenie (1984) is also on Disney Plus. As an 80s kid it was a good nostalgia hit of familiar faces. 30 minutes of Tim Burton before he blew up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Only watched the first episode of Cabinet of Curiosities but it hit all the right notes so far.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wolfsheim posted:

Recent streaming roundup:

Werewolf By Night may be the best thing Disney Plus has done. Technically part of the MCU but don't let that put you off it, its an hour of 1940s Universal Pictures horror pastiche and it absolutely fucks.

Andor is the best Disney+ show but I think Warewolf is second. It's just a really really fun vibe.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Only watched the first episode of Cabinet of Curiosities but it hit all the right notes so far.

I’m on episode 4…loving it so far. Flanagan dropped the ball this year afaic so I’m really happy there’s another good Halloween show to make up for it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Barbarian straight sucked

gently caress anyone who suggested it

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

a sexual elk posted:

Barbarian straight sucked

gently caress anyone who suggested it

I haven’t seen it but was planning to. Why didn’t you like it? Reception seems to be pretty all over the place.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Starks posted:

I haven’t seen it but was planning to. Why didn’t you like it? Reception seems to be pretty all over the place.

To many scripts tied together under the premise of an airBnb, plus Justin Long, all I could think of was loving Tusk which also sucked

My wife started ripping into it and she loves this stuff. One point she said “so it’s a Hagraven dungeon crawl in Skyrim”

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 29, 2022

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I liked Barbarian. Weirdly believable characters given the situation.

Like our heroine, I was feeling sympathetic for the terrible monster that just wanted to be a good mom by the end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Barbarian by virtue of it just being all around entertaining, but it's borderline madlibs. None of the unexpected poo poo connects in a way that is interesting. It's just random for the sake of random. People don't seem to like it if you suggest that, but it's true and the flashback stuff was a complete waste of time that added nothing. It's fun but it's not a very good movie.

Posted in the horror thread how I felt about it

veni veni veni posted:

In regards to Barbarian, I feel conflicted between how it's overall just an enjoyable movie, and wondering what the point was of a lot of stuff in it.

One one hand it was really entertaining. Liked the cast, it was shot well for the most part. There was a couple of really cool ideas in there that didn't really get the attention they deserved. I loved how she drove up to the air BnB in the dark and in the morning, it turned out to be a lone, nice little house in the middle of total urban decay. But they didn't really do much with it. Very cool reveal though. Even if it was implausible I liked the concept.

The way it was presented is fun, but idg why most of the events even matter to the story which is a pretty basic freak locked in a secret room tale. You have the initial red herring, which is that you think the movie is going to be about how Bill Skarsgård is secretly a psycho or something. But he's not. He's just some guy. They have crazy coincidental stuff in common, it's just a coincidence. She catches him having night terrors, I guess that's just something he deals with. She does all this weird poo poo like rummaging through his stuff and taking pics of his ID. None of it matters, because he really doesn't exist in the story in any meaningful way other than to eventually get his head smashed.

Then the movie takes a left turn to Justin Long. We get all this setup about how he's some hollywood creep that got me too'ed. Really didn't seem to matter for any reason other than to set him up as a prick so no one cared when he died. Like Bill Skarsgård, he could have just been random that walked into the story and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Then we get a flashback to the serial killer guy planning his abduction. I could have figured out any information in this flashback from the scene near the end where Justin Long finds him in bed. Seemed totally unnecessary.

Tbh very little that happens plays together in a way that feels like it needed to be in the movie at all.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 29, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Cabinet of curiosities is very fun. I wouldn't really call it horror but it's very enjoyable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Barbarian reminded me a lot of House of a 1000 Corpses

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Different opinions on something. Wild!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tiny Timbs posted:

Barbarian reminded me a lot of House of a 1000 Corpses

I didn't love it but it definitely doesn't deserve that lol

I actually do think its interesting how Barbarian kind of falls into the WKUK roots of "and then what if this happens" style of writing, only used for horror instead of sketch comedy, which is probably why it feels so dissonant

My friend disliked it because he thought they made the police too mean and unhelpful but that part seemed extremely realistic to me

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

(re barbarian) She does all this weird poo poo like rummaging through his stuff and taking pics of his ID.

that's not weird at all, nor is it meant to be!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zoracle Zed posted:

that's not weird at all, nor is it meant to be!

Yeah the only weird part is how she never actually looked up his socials

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Or how she went in the house in the first place instead of just going to find a hotel

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Papercut posted:

Or how she went in the house in the first place instead of just going to find a hotel

I mean they did explain that. He told her he thought there was a convention in town, so everything was booked. Of course we're led to believe that he's shady and lying to her at the beginning, but it's revealed that he was legit, so there's no reason not to believe that the convention comment was legit too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/status/1586438351573467136

weird! I guess it conflicts with the new Supe movie?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Weird. Seemed like people liking Henry Cavill as Geralt was a big sticking point for fans of the show. I got bored of it personally but he was a good Geralt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I guess a WB movie pays a good deal more than Netflix.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Weird. Seemed like people liking Henry Cavill as Geralt was a big sticking point for fans of the show. I got bored of it personally but he was a good Geralt.

It’s my fault. I stopped watching after half of S2e1.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Papercut posted:

One of us is completely misremembering the movie, cause the guy tells her there is a conference in town, she goes to her car and calls a few hotels and sure enough everything is booked. That's how I remember it anyway.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Andor is so loving good and now I'm mad at myself because I used the wrong words/argument to recommend it to my partner and I don't think they're gonna watch it. :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Which word did it, “star” or “wars”?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/status/1586438351573467136

weird! I guess it conflicts with the new Supe movie?

i'm sure it was money but as an actual fan i'd like to think he saw the writing on the wall, dreadful adaptation

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s my fault. I stopped watching after half of S2e1.

I mean that's the trajectory of every Netflix show

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

One of us is completely misremembering the movie, cause the guy tells her there is a conference in town, she goes to her car and calls a few hotels and sure enough everything is booked. That's how I remember it anyway.

Just because a movie provides a justification doesn't make it realistic. Ain't no loving way a woman in real life is going inside that house.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Tiny Timbs posted:

Which word did it, “star” or “wars”?

I'm guessing it was the "Wars". Otherwise, they might have confused it with "Trek," and those don't usually see these kinds of budgets.

EDIT: Gotten further in the series, and yeah, it's basically "The French Resistance, but with droids." So obviously in the explicit spirit of Star Wars, but in a way that pumps up the genre elements over the lore.

Which almost makes it more in the spirit of the OT than a lot of what's followed.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 30, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Papercut posted:

Just because a movie provides a justification doesn't make it realistic. Ain't no loving way a woman in real life is going inside that house.

Welcome to the horror movie genre

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When did Morbius get added to Netflix? Morbius is on Netflix.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is it fun bad or boring bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ah poo poo here we go again