Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Hygiene posted:

A fact I learned today on these very forums is that "cenobites" is actually just a general term for members of a particular religious community. So all those weirdos in Hellraiser weren't given a made-up name that sounded cool, it's just an actual term that describes their nature as basically being dimension-traveling monks.

Correct, they are the literal opposite of the monks that deny themselves all pleasure, down to being evangelical about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Splendid posted:

The app icon on my phone for the clock displays the correct time.

On my phone, the icon for the Clock app is the only part of the app containing a clock. Within the Clock app, there are timers, alarms, other things, but no clock.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The calendar app icon also displays the day and date as well. At least on iPhone anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh that's funny, I thought folks were talking about iphone stuff but my android clock app's analog clock icon does keep time after all. I have no idea why, since its full digital clock/calendar display is already on the home screen by default so I've never had a reason to even look at the icon before now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's funny, I thought folks were talking about iphone stuff but my android clock app's analog clock icon does keep time after all. I have no idea why, since its full digital clock/calendar display is already on the home screen by default so I've never had a reason to even look at the icon before now.

I think the only reason is "a software engineer thought it might be cool" which is kind of cute in this era of algorithms and shareholders demanding only the most revenue-generating features. Someone just looked at the icon and noticed that to depict a clock you also must depict a time, and decided that it might as well depict the actual time :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sir Lemming posted:

I think the only reason is "a software engineer thought it might be cool" which is kind of cute in this era of algorithms and shareholders demanding only the most revenue-generating features. Someone just looked at the icon and noticed that to depict a clock you also must depict a time, and decided that it might as well depict the actual time :shrug:

This happens way more than you might think. Engineers don't tend to be into making exactly what someone else tells them to make, and will absolutely do cool poo poo as a way of pushing back.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The location of Mt Sinai is known.
I had a fair bit of jewish education growing up, so the fact that I never learnt this and never thought to look it up until 10 minutes ago, in my 30s, is a wee bit mind boggling.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lady Disdain posted:

I had a fair bit of jewish education growing up, so the fact that I never learnt this and never thought to look it up until 10 minutes ago, in my 30s, is a wee bit mind boggling.

The Wikipedia entry says it’s still unknown, and has multiple possible locations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Lady Disdain posted:

There is a mountain called, in the present day, Mt Sinai. There is a mountain in the book of Exodus called Mt Sinai. They are not necessarily the same place.

Wikipedia lists at least 12 possible candidates for the Exodus Mt Sinai, including the modern Mt Sinai. Personally, it seems to me that the author of the story was clearly talking about an active volcano, which rules out most of the candidates including the modern Mt Sinai; but no one really knows whether that's the case, or even if the authors of Exodus were talking about a real mountain at all.

There's lots of stuff like that when it comes to religious history; places that have been "traditionally" identified with places described in holy books but don't necessarily have any evidence behind that claim.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, well, that's what I get for only giving the wiki entry the most cursory of glances. That's basically what I'd been assuming until now. Thanks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It took me over 30 years to figure out that shampoo needs a lot of water to lather up properly. I was able to better than halve my shampoo consumption by just adding more water.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It took me over 30 years to figure out that shampoo needs a lot of water to lather up properly. I was able to better than halve my shampoo consumption by just adding more water.

I'm not 100% on this, but I read somewhere that bubbles don't actually do anything. It doesn't mean that lathering doesn't do anything, just that the bubbles you get from lathering soaps and such are mostly for show, the result of added chemicals that just produce bubbles, and are at best an indicator that you've lathered properly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

doctorfrog posted:

I'm not 100% on this, but I read somewhere that bubbles don't actually do anything. It doesn't mean that lathering doesn't do anything, just that the bubbles you get from lathering soaps and such are mostly for show, the result of added chemicals that just produce bubbles, and are at best an indicator that you've lathered properly.

Eh... More that suds alone won't clean because they don't have enough water. Soaps make water softer, to get "between" the contamination and the surface being cleaned.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The foaming effect does make it easier to get coverage of whatever you're washing. Especially for hair, it's handy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just wish it were real poo. I'm worth it!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

doctorfrog posted:

Soap forms bubbles dude.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's a sure fact, ant!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baron von Eevl posted:

Soap forms bubbles dude.
Oh yeah then explain noted not-soap, toothpaste.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
poo poo ya got me

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

zedprime posted:

I like cats!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

zedprime posted:

They add soap so it makes bubbles. Is the soap doing something to help? Probably not, and it makes things worse for some people.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Lady Disdain posted:

Slightly related, Mount Olympus is a real place, and Psychro Cave (where Zeus was born) is real too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Raised on a mountain, born in a cave, lightning and loving is all that Zeus craves

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Brawnfire posted:

cave [...] craves

You can do better than this.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I only found out about a week ago that when the Romans were coming up with gods they just took Zeus as father of the gods, which I knew, but the name I hadn't thought about:
Zeus the father -> Zeus pater -> Jupiter.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

doctorfrog posted:

You don't even need shampoo or soap to clean your hair properly! I went about two years without using shampoo, only conditioner. White girl wavy hair. I use shampoo bars now for convenience. The Curly Girl Method works really well but Lorraine Massey is a hack who likes to find ingredients to ban so she can sell her own brand of haircare, which coincidentally don't use that particular ingredient! So you have to be a bit selective about who you believe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

credburn posted:

You can do better than this.

Perhaps I don't want to

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Unkempt posted:

I only found out about a week ago that when the Romans were coming up with gods they just took Zeus as father of the gods, which I knew, but the name I hadn't thought about :

They didn't take it from Greek, but multiple cultures have a "sky father" god.

Ancient Hinduism has Dyauspitar

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Unkempt posted:

I only found out about a week ago that when the Romans were coming up with gods they just took Zeus as father of the gods, which I knew, but the name I hadn't thought about :

And Zeus is cognate with Deus.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
And "Deus" is cognate with "dies/diem" (day)

So then you get Thursday, which in most Romance languages is "Jupiter's day"

Giovedi, jeudi, jueves, dijous etc

Go far back enough and Thursday is "sky sky"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Splendid posted:

And "Deus" is cognate with "dies/diem" (day)

So then you get Thursday, which in most Romance languages is "Jupiter's day"

Giovedi, jeudi, jueves, dijous etc

Go far back enough and Thursday is "sky sky"

Except our weekdays are named for norse gods. Thursday is Thor's Day.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Anglo-saxon gods, technically, but they're the same ones the romans syncretised with their own.

Tyw - Mars
Wodan - Mercury
Thor - Jupiter
Frigga - Venus
And also Just Saturn because why not I guess

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah. Someone was like:

"Oh, your thunder god is Jupiter? Ok, I guess it's Thor's Day then"

Guess what etymology of Tiw for Tuesday is, though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah. Someone was like:

Guess what etymology of Tiw for Tuesday is, though.

Oh duh, I completely misread your OP as saying we somehow linguistically got from jupiter to thursday, my bad

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The versions of Dead Man's Party and several other Oingo Boingo songs I'm most familiar with are live (well, live in-studio) performances and the album versions are definitely worse pretty different

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The studio recording of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" sounds real bland and lifeless.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Same for the studio take of I Want You To Want Me.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah. Someone was like:

Wouldn't that be Wednesday though. sky father gods and all?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well drat, you're right! Better go back to the 9th century and let Egbert of Wessex know, he won't want to look silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Trabant posted:

Wouldn't that be Wednesday though. sky father gods and all?

no because it was done from the roman understanding, and the romans generally equated odin to mercury (travel, magic) despite his being the father of the gods--they just figured "oh, the germans hold mercury as their highest god"