Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

HopperUK posted:

When I think about the sheer amount of poo poo I got for my awful handwriting I get furious. Okay, they didn't know about my raging ADHD and neither did I. So teach me a way to write legibly, don't just force me to use a stupid pencil grip as if that's the issue.
I actually often have to write things down for other people to read (pharmacy, we live on post-its) so I just write them in goddamn allcaps and everyone can read everything I write and it's loving fine. Ugh. It's amazing I enjoy writing with a pen as much as I do, they certainly tried to slap it out of me.

Ugh yes. I was so happy when my primary teacher allowed me to use a biro and normal letters (as opposed to joined-up), around age 9 maybe? I think he just gave up on ever being able to read my fountain pen + joined up mess, and I never looked back,

Even better when essay-based subjects in secondary would accept printed Word docs. Though that did make exams a shock to the system (wrist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1586278776539086848

Literal concentration camps in the UK.... more so.... again... as in, we have a long track record of doing stuff like this. And it's amazing how much of the population are quite happy that they are being treated in this way. "They should have stayed on their side of the water" etc etc etc

I loving despair at the direction this country has gone :(

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I get that overpopulation is a concern (though the extent is up for debate), and I totally understand the anxiety of bringing kids into this world as it falls apart, but ‘don’t have kids’ is just such a grim stance to take on the climate crisis. Just, why bother trying to solve anything if that’s the answer. People will be advocating mass suicide next.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because other people exist and helping solve their problems is good? Because I currently exist?

You may as well say "well if you're not going to have kids then why don't you murder as many people as possible?" in terms of things that are not like other things.

Or "if you're not going to bother having kids why not poo poo on your floor instead of solving the problem of going to the toilet?" Because then I'd have the additional problem of a poo poo on my floor, and I'd like to avoid that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think i get what Answers Me is saying. I think I'd love having a kid. My wife would make an incredible mother. And on an existential level I do stay up late thinking about the generations of DNA that fought to reach this configuration, and just end here. But I'm too broke and exhausted to even think about raising a child.

Having that suggested to me as a choice of virtue kind of stings a bit, if I'm honest.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Having one kid is quite good imo

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I'm fairly agnostic on the issue, but I do think that there's a cultural taboo against discussing the negative global ramifications of having children. So often having children is presented as at worst a neutral act, when in fact the ethics of it are extremely complex.

I think the real problem is the thoughtless way in which the concept of having children is propagated culturally. Most people I know who had kids just basically said they did it because their family expected it or because it's just what you do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I did expend all this time and effort to get away from my family just to start another one FFS.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1586390885054439426

:allears:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It kind of matches up with the reports that Truss kept changing her phone number... so now we know it wasn't just to avoid her cabinet, but also cos she done got hacked. Possibly multiple times.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

password1234!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

An outgoing PM used his powers to suppress the story, so that a compromised candidate could become PM... albeit for 45 days.

In days of old, I'm sure stuff like this used to be called treason.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MeinPanzer posted:

I think the real problem is the thoughtless way in which the concept of having children is propagated culturally. Most people I know who had kids just basically said they did it because their family expected it or because it's just what you do.
It's one of those things that's just so socially engrained as 'good', because everyone says it is good, that any challenge must be destroyed, rationality be damned.

Just like how few discussions on the left have generated quite so much kneejerk reactionary rage as Sophie Lewis' work Abolish the Family (even though it talks mostly about generating alternatives to the default for care and liberation) other than perhaps Sinéad O'Connor ripping up that picture of the Pope over complicity in child abuse and Diane Abbott existing and saying the words 'white people'.

It taps into a deep seated and incoherent social self-defense mechanism. Very similar to people who go on social media to say "well I was hit as a kid and it didn't do me any harm which is why I'm on the internet defending hitting kids." (What they actually mean is "well I hit my kids but I am not a child abuser and will not be processing this idea further.") Or people who complain about vegans being insufferable while posting bacon memes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dunno what intelligence the Russians were hoping to uncover by hacking Liz truss.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kwasi Kwarteng dick pics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spent the last two days at goth weekend and I'm loving knackered.

was very nice to see everyone in their fancy duds though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EXPAND YOUR PORK MARKETS, CLICK HERE NOW

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Ugh yes. I was so happy when my primary teacher allowed me to use a biro and normal letters (as opposed to joined-up), around age 9 maybe? I think he just gave up on ever being able to read my fountain pen + joined up mess, and I never looked back,

Even better when essay-based subjects in secondary would accept printed Word docs. Though that did make exams a shock to the system (wrist)

When I was in primary school they used to make the kids with lovely handwriting write in blue pen only, with black pens reserved for people with legible cursive.

I never made it to the black pens, and one year I had a teacher make me re-write some stupid multi-page writing assignment four times because she refused to believe my handwriting was that lovely and that I was instead just being lazy and sloppy.

She gave up during the fifth attempt because she decided to sit there and watch me as I slowly tried to get every single letter perfect, finally realising that my handwriting was in fact just that lovely. gently caress you, teacher, wherever you are now. I missed both playtimes that day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm fairly agnostic on the issue, but I do think that there's a cultural taboo against discussing the negative global ramifications of having children. So often having children is presented as at worst a neutral act, when in fact the ethics of it are extremely complex.

Even if you don't take the global view, as a former child I have a lot of objections to having been created and I certainly would not wish to repeat that mistake on my own hypothetical children.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1586401266841755648

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wait a second, so Braverman's stunt resignation was definitely a pop at Truss to get her out, i.e. "I hosed up computer security in a very minor way and am resigning. Look at me resign, because that's what you do when you gently caress up, even in a small way. Boy I sure would hate to have a major fuckup hidden away somewhere and to not have resigned for it. That would be terrible, wouldn't it? That'd bring down the government wouldn't it Liz?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

EXPAND YOUR PORK MARKETS, CLICK HERE NOW

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Dunno what intelligence the Russians were hoping to uncover by hacking Liz truss.
You could probably use it to spy on other people, with Truss just being a delivery method.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wait a second, so Braverman's stunt resignation was definitely a pop at Truss to get her out, i.e. "I hosed up computer security in a very minor way and am resigning. Look at me resign, because that's what you do when you gently caress up, even in a small way. Boy I sure would hate to have a major fuckup hidden away somewhere and to not have resigned for it. That would be terrible, wouldn't it? That'd bring down the government wouldn't it Liz?"

I think it's safer to assume that both of them are just really dumb and Truss is a massive hypocrite than that Braverman has any integrity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nephthys posted:

I think it's safer to assume that both of them are just really dumb and Truss is a massive hypocrite than that Braverman has any integrity.
It's not hypocrisy if you don't understand what's happening.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Oh I don't think Braverman actually has any integrity, i think she just play acted it to get Truss out. Walking back into the exact same job after a week was her reward for doing it.

Simon Case has announced that there is no need to launch an investigation into this because if there was, he'd be implicated in 10 seconds flat.

This is honestly starting to look so convoluted and involved I'm starting to worry Boris might suddenly develop a brittle hyoid bone.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mirror has an article about it

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1586431116654755840

e: and Guardian

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1586447523744456706

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I couldnt read a word of Rees Moggs resignation letter but thats not even a pop at his handwriting. I think handwriting legibility is on like a bell curve or a parabola where its garbage poo poo, then reaches perfect legibility then either rises or falls depending on your axis to being complete garbage readable only by you, the author, and even then probably only in that moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah Rees-Mogg has garbage pigpen handwriting.

He should be mocked for that, because his whole persona is about stylistic arrogance and he brags about banning computers so that people can learn penmanship, so he ought to loving have.

Or better yet to admit that his persona is bollocks and typing a letter is fine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Handwriting is cryptography by other means.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Hot drat, yet another scandal. Please keep this poo poo coming. Don't let Rishi get any chance at a honeymoon period or for his premiership to be framed as a 'fresh start'.

Hammer them with a constant neverending stream of scandals and crises, so the Papers can't move the public narrative forward away from Tory corruption/incompetence/sleaze like in the late Major years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bring back the death by stranglewank subplot imo. Don't limit yourself to just one either feel free to have a bunch of them sync-croak.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Michael Gove attempts to asphyxiate himself while also cutting off the circulation to his scrotum but accidentally ends up properly tying his own shoes for the first time.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
W sacked for smallish security breach (well, sackedresignednowbacksomehow) (not too bad guys don't look into it further I said don't look into it) while X (resigned for everything) is actually much more compromised and that in turn had been covered up by Y (resigned for everything and the kitchen sink) in order for X to take power in the first place feels like it ought to be a big deal. Meanwhile X's unelected mandateless replacement Z points fingers at the opposition simply for supporting their predecessor, as if that's somehow a bad thing.

Or maybe this is just what strong and stable government looks like.

Obligatory CAN YOU IMAGINE IF JERE--:argh:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
JEMENRIIIAHAH CFROMMBLYYNNN

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Nah Rees-Mogg has garbage pigpen handwriting.

He should be mocked for that, because his whole persona is about stylistic arrogance and he brags about banning computers so that people can learn penmanship, so he ought to loving have.

Or better yet to admit that his persona is bollocks and typing a letter is fine.

I made my own font of my handwriting a while ago. I've no use for it mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Send people fake letters saying they could win a caravan.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i used to live in a caravan

its not a prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's never really a caravan with those contests so I'm sure it all works out.